Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys I have a Rift and I have been loving every minute of it for the past year. What and awesome experience everything i dreamed VR could be. I was wondering has anyone tried the Samsung Odyssey HMD?? Is it better then the Rift? I'm looking to upgrade and it looks like the Odyssey has better specs then the Rift. Anyone have any experience with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I have the Odyssey which I have not yet used, I have just very recently completed some research on the topic.

IMHO right now stick with the Rift until the new generation CPUs and GPUs come around along with mainstream 4k/8k headsets,

this should happen within a year. 

 

Of course, for someone in the market right now getting the Odyssey is a no-brainer along with 3k in hardware, latest CPU/GPU SSD drive, 850w liquid cooling etc.

 

Here is one from Mr Ang:

 

Edited by Kandiru
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Coolwhip said:

Hi Guys I have a Rift and I have been loving every minute of it for the past year. What and awesome experience everything i dreamed VR could be. I was wondering has anyone tried the Samsung Odyssey HMD?? Is it better then the Rift? I'm looking to upgrade and it looks like the Odyssey has better specs then the Rift. Anyone have any experience with it?

 

I have upgraded to Vive Pro from Oculus Rift. The Vive Pro has the same resolution as Odyssey (albeit at x2 higher price) but I got it because Odyssey didn't have Steam support at that point. Anyway, the resolution bump from Rift was very very noticeable to me and I thoroughly enjoy the experience of actually seeing the improved details of the scenery, airplanes, the spotting is much much easier, it was definitely worth the upgrade in my book. Since Odyssey has the same resolution as vivePro, much cheaper, supports Steam, etc.. it's no brainer to upgrade or at least give it a try.

 

One thing to be aware however is the comfort. Rift is THE most comfortable headset out there. If it's a priority for you then you may be disappointed in the end result, however if you're after the picture clarity then you'll have to compromise on that front.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading and reading I understand more about tracking with the cubes, and I just cannot fit the Odyssey properly on my head, glasses keep bumping and light spillage persists even with the aftermarket velour trim.

 

I am returning the Odyssey and getting the Vive Pro, I tried it on at the Win store and it feels great. Reddit users seem to be biased in favor of Vive Pro PQ compared to Samsung, but they use the same OLEDs. I may lose a bit of mic power but the spatial sound on the Vive Pro will be a bonus I am sure. 

 

I haven't even played yet:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kandiru said:

Reading and reading I understand more about tracking with the cubes, and I just cannot fit the Odyssey properly on my head, glasses keep bumping and light spillage persists even with the aftermarket velour trim.

 

I am returning the Odyssey and getting the Vive Pro, I tried it on at the Win store and it feels great. Reddit users seem to be biased in favor of Vive Pro PQ compared to Samsung, but they use the same OLEDs. I may lose a bit of mic power but the spatial sound on the Vive Pro will be a bonus I am sure. 

 

I haven't even played yet:)

This is the route I took, I felt the Samsung was too uncomfortable and WMR too green.  Alas, the Vive Pro is very expensive and I am not sure you will be happy with the result either (frankly my rift worked well and was comfy).  

 

Yes it has a higher resolution and little SDE but:

1. sound is atrocious

2. Controllers are obnoxious 

3. Tracking occasionally greys out ( though my Logitech mousepad might be causing that)

4.  The fresnel lenses are annoying compared to the rift (sweet spot)

 

I anxiously await a true next generation Headset.  

Edited by WIS-Redcoat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bummer oculus hasn't released something in the meantime with a higher res screen. They could make literally the same headset tack on 100 bucks to the sales price and I'd buy one right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

It's a bummer oculus hasn't released something in the meantime with a higher res screen. They could make literally the same headset tack on 100 bucks to the sales price and I'd buy one right now.

 

Agreed as would I, apparently though they are gearing towards a full fledged next generation product. I don't think we will be disappointed with what they bring, well maybe just in the waiting time to get there...

Apparently they are comfortable enough in their position at this time.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dburne said:

 

Agreed as would I, apparently though they are gearing towards a full fledged next generation product. I don't think we will be disappointed with what they bring, well maybe just in the waiting time to get there...

Apparently they are comfortable enough in their position at this time.

The wait is the problem for sure.

 

I'd consider a samsung right now if the tales of comfort weren't real. I wear glasses so if it doesn't work well with them then that's just not gunna happen. I'd certainly love higher res though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glasses don't fit into any headset properly - as far as I know. They steal your sense of 3D as well, of that I am 100% certain. Try contacts, it's well worth it! 😀

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using the Odyssey for a few months now and the Rift CV1 before that.

I can recommend it for the bump in resolution clarity. also I find the Windows MR software to be far superior to Rift bloatware.

However, Odyssey has for me more noticeable Fresnel effect and tracking is not as good (not really a problem in IL2 as we are not using the controllers)

I wear glasses and have a big head (58) and I don't have any problems with the Odyssey.

Overall I would recommend it, especially if you are in the states, or know someone who can get it for you there.

 

Edited by guidom
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2018 at 6:36 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Glasses don't fit into any headset properly - as far as I know. They steal your sense of 3D as well, of that I am 100% certain. Try contacts, it's well worth it! 😀

I don't agree, the rift works just freaking perfectly with glasses. Mine fit no problem. That's the only headset I can speak on though. I don't have tiny glasses either. I have contacts and I see 0 difference in the headset. I hate wearing the contacts now after wearing them for nearly 10 years. I will pop them in tonight and give it a try and see if I notice a difference. I don't have any fresh ones though been saving a pair I've had for a while.

 

Not gunna lie putting my old shitty contacts in certainly felt like i was there more than my glasses, think the HMD is too far away from my eyes with the glasses on. It's definitely better with my contacts. Need to go get some new ones, gunna cost me more than my rift did....

Edited by JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the Odyssey over the weekend. I had the Rift. I can definitely see an improvement in resolution. Tracking is good and the Fresnel lenses are not an issue that I am noticing.  The only problem I am seeing so far is that when I launch IL2 my desktop resolution changes and seems to shut down my display drivers, I have to reboot.  I am running three monitors and don't know if this is related. The oculus didn't do this.  It is probably a setting somewhere and I will have to find it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, I made some comparison pics Rift vs. VivePro which has same resolution than Odyssey.

As I stated, the VivePro doesn´t use the pixels as effectively as the Rift, so the resolution increase is less noticeable.

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36627-resolution-tests-rift-vs-vivepro-updated-with-camera-through-lenses-pics/

 

It would be nice if someone with Rift and Odyssey can capture similar images with IL-2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 2:24 PM, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

I bought the Odyssey over the weekend. I had the Rift. I can definitely see an improvement in resolution. Tracking is good and the Fresnel lenses are not an issue that I am noticing.  The only problem I am seeing so far is that when I launch IL2 my desktop resolution changes and seems to shut down my display drivers, I have to reboot.  I am running three monitors and don't know if this is related. The oculus didn't do this.  It is probably a setting somewhere and I will have to find it.   

You probably didn't uninstall your Oculus software and removed all of its remains on the system? I had the same issue.

 

Making sure to put an hour in to uninstall it, and hunt for remaining folders / registry entries / everything you can think of did the trick. The software is very intrusive.

 

Then reinstall the Oculus software but never do the setup, only skip it. Then install your games, then Revive as well. Thus you can play Oculus games in WMR.

 

One more point if you want to reinstall your Oculus software:

 

Create a .BAT file with this:

 

sc config OVRService start= demand
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

 

It'll toggle your OVRservice off or on. Otherwise it runs the background!

 

Also, redo your startup.cfg, copy & replace the following

 

Spoiler

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 1.00000
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 1
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 2
    multisampling = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2179
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.06731
    or_width = 1748
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1080
    win_width = 1920
[END]

[KEY = input]
    exclusive = 1
    input_map = "input.map"
    mouse_plane_control = 0
    old_trackir = 0

 

 

then work on from there, change everything to your likings but the resolution and window settings.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere to unplug the WMR headset and reboot then plug it in again. This worked for me so far. I do find the Software harder to navigate in than the Oculus software. But its working good, I haven't tries the Revive yet. there are Oculus titles I want to try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you prefer to replug and reboot every other time... okay. Just know that you'll still have OVRserver running in the background as well.

 

You will not be able to use the Oculus software anyway. It is just meant to a) only install, but never complete Headset setup, and b) download and update Oculus' game titles. Launching the games is done via Revive only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone wants to sell a samsung headset cheap please let me know. I can pay you with paypal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only had to unplug and reboot one time after that it has been happy. I probably will get Revive installed though. Just haven't had time and my IL2 has been working well.

 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

If you prefer to replug and reboot every other time... okay. Just know that you'll still have OVRserver running in the background as well.

 

You will not be able to use the Oculus software anyway. It is just meant to a) only install, but never complete Headset setup, and b) download and update Oculus' game titles. Launching the games is done via Revive only.

 

2 minutes ago, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

 

 

 

Edited by tkcamp56tkcamp
remove
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You probably didn't uninstall your Oculus software and removed all of its remains on the system? I had the same issue.

 

Making sure to put an hour in to uninstall it, and hunt for remaining folders / registry entries / everything you can think of did the trick. The software is very intrusive.

 

Then reinstall the Oculus software but never do the setup, only skip it. Then install your games, then Revive as well. Thus you can play Oculus games in WMR.

 

One more point if you want to reinstall your Oculus software:

 

Create a .BAT file with this:

 

sc config OVRService start= demand
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

 

It'll toggle your OVRservice off or on. Otherwise it runs the background! 

 

Also, redo your startup.cfg, copy & replace the following

 

  Reveal hidden contents

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 1.00000
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 1
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 2
    multisampling = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2179
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.06731
    or_width = 1748
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1080
    win_width = 1920
[END]

[KEY = input]
    exclusive = 1
    input_map = "input.map"
    mouse_plane_control = 0
    old_trackir = 0

 

 

then work on from there, change everything to your likings but the resolution and window settings.

I Started having problems again just as you thought I would.  I am going to try your advice listed above but don't understand the bat file thing?? I have never done this. I think I'm ok with the copy and paste in cfg file. Also you mentioned going through the registry. Just remove anything related to Oculus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do the Oculus part first.

You uninstall the Oculus software, restart the O/S, and take a look to remove the software's remains manually. Try to use the Search function in Windows to find Oculus related folders. That should be enough.

 

Then reinstall the Oculus software - but when prompted with the setup, just skip it. Now install all or any games you'll want to play later.

 

 

Then the .BAT file - Google how to create a .BAT file , paste there:

 

sc config OVRService start= demand
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

 

The reason I gave you the code for your own .BAT file this way is for an advice I give in P.S. - so you know it's clean and no virus. Wait until all games in Oculus are installed before executing the file. Put it on the Desktop. Now execute the .BAT file as Administrator, it toggles the Oculus Services in the background off (or on, if you execute it again - it's a toggle).

 

Now you can proceed with the usual, and use WMR / SteamVR with Revive to play Oculus games in WMR as well 😀👍

 

Best regards!

 

Fenris

 

P.S. Another idea that came to mind - you may have an antivirus program installed. This could also cause conflicts. Make sure to run without any antivirus software but Windows Defender. All credible tests since Win10's Fall Creator's Update so far have shown, that nowadays Windows Defender is the best solution - least intrusive, no throttling, best performance, most up-to-date, least "spyware" (beware of any free antivirus programs anyway - you pay with your data - always!) solution. Avoid Avast, Kaspersky, Avira, or similar intrusive, sometimes VR breaking (they create lag which is hostile as can be to VR) data scoops.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much . I will try this as soon as I can. Working a lot right now haven't had time to play. Just checking the forum. and waiting on my virpil throttle😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on image quality:  I've been running the Odyssey for several weeks now, and it's an amazing HMD.   Everything is quite smooth and sharp (very beefy system), but I'm having some double-image issues with tracking aircraft as they move rapidly across my field of view.  This doesn't seem to happen with terrain or ground objects, or anything in the 'pit, and it doesn't happen in DCS (though the framerate is MUCH lower in DCS... IL2 is, IMHO, the vastly superior engine for VR right now).  Is this a settings issue (manual IPD wheel?) or a current bug, or something unique on my setup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Please do the Oculus part first.

You uninstall the Oculus software, restart the O/S, and take a look to remove the software's remains manually. Try to use the Search function in Windows to find Oculus related folders. That should be enough.

 

Then reinstall the Oculus software - but when prompted with the setup, just skip it. Now install all or any games you'll want to play later.

 

 

Then the .BAT file - Google how to create a .BAT file , paste there:

 

sc config OVRService start= demand
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

 

The reason I gave you the code for your own .BAT file this way is for an advice I give in P.S. - so you know it's clean and no virus. Wait until all games in Oculus are installed before executing the file. Put it on the Desktop. Now execute the .BAT file as Administrator, it toggles the Oculus Services in the background off (or on, if you execute it again - it's a toggle).

 

Now you can proceed with the usual, and use WMR / SteamVR with Revive to play Oculus games in WMR as well 😀👍

 

Best regards!

 

Fenris

 

P.S. Another idea that came to mind - you may have an antivirus program installed. This could also cause conflicts. Make sure to run without any antivirus software but Windows Defender. All credible tests since Win10's Fall Creator's Update so far have shown, that nowadays Windows Defender is the best solution - least intrusive, no throttling, best performance, most up-to-date, least "spyware" (beware of any free antivirus programs anyway - you pay with your data - always!) solution. Avoid Avast, Kaspersky, Avira, or similar intrusive, sometimes VR breaking (they create lag which is hostile as can be to VR) data scoops.

Thank You,,,,I was able to get the Revive to work. Everything seems to be running well now.

I copied and pasted your txt to notepad and saved it as a .bat extension. It shows as a Bat file now on my desktop and seems to execute but I get a error. Maybe (probably :)) I did something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, NervousEnergy said:

Question on image quality:  I've been running the Odyssey for several weeks now, and it's an amazing HMD.   Everything is quite smooth and sharp (very beefy system), but I'm having some double-image issues with tracking aircraft as they move rapidly across my field of view.  This doesn't seem to happen with terrain or ground objects, or anything in the 'pit, and it doesn't happen in DCS (though the framerate is MUCH lower in DCS... IL2 is, IMHO, the vastly superior engine for VR right now).  Is this a settings issue (manual IPD wheel?) or a current bug, or something unique on my setup? 

Do you have asynronous reprojection enabled, forced or disabled in the Odyssey? (it's the same like the Rift's but enabled via editing a .cfg file). It sounds like it's enabled. Like on the Rift, it locks fps at 90 or 45 and may create double pictures of quickly passing aircrafts, as well as flashes in the crosshair while the prop is running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...