Mysticpuma

The future of Clod after v5.00, just a few thoughts.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:24 PM, ZachariasX said:

So far liking Cliffs is like liking the vi editor. 

No. It doesn't get better than Vi(m). :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I have to agree, when it comes to unix / linux. Vi / vim is my editor of choice ;)

• Upvote 1

Emacs Makes Any Computer Slow, huh? But I‘m sure it could run a flight sim.

;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2018 at 8:36 AM, InProgress said:

No they should not, because it has it's fan base and it's just a dik move to think about BoX as godlike product that deserves to exist and throw away CloD.

Clod is actually way more detailed and can handle way more... Clickable cockpits, planes are modeled inside (better damage model, better damage visuals), 4 engine planes like Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor, 200 players server, can handle bigger number of planes at once, bombing require considering alt of airfield you are taking off from and place you are bombing (not simply looking at altimeter and done)

How the hell is clod hurting box? You people can keep saying that... but box would not go to africa or anywhere near it in next 5 or more years. So it does not hurt anything. And i am pretty sure 777 will be happier to stay in pacific that will be top seller than going to africa that most people dont know or like. After pacific we will probably go back to russia for a bit and expand west front with normandy and maybe some 1944 ostfront in poland and battle of berlin in 1945. So before devs would be even able to do africa, it would be like... 10 years? And i will always prefer pacific/russia as many expansion as possible than "here is one italy expansion and there one africa etc".

What they do now is the best option, i just hope BoBP wont be alone expansion on the west.

some people like BOS some people like Cliffs of Dover

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

13 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

And some people (like me) like them both  :)

does cliffs get much stick time from you atm trooper ? I might need to pick your brains later

I played Blitz last in March... although I have had CloD from the start.

I did a reinstall and got all my hotas set up etc... did about 15hrs of gameplay, but as I tend to concentrate on SP, I decided to bin it until version 5 is released

as the SP element is still pretty much naffed.

That along with a comms system that is still broken pretty much stopped me from continuing... having said that I am really looking forward to the next version

as North Africa is my favourite theatre, plus the fixes coming for SP and comms elements will pull me straight back in  :)

On 8/6/2018 at 2:38 PM, Space_Ghost said:

What it differentiates from Cliffs currently is that it actually mostly works.

Every time I read this sort of comment, I wonder if I'm playing the same game. "Unplayable," "Broken," "Boring single player," "Outdated graphics,".....etc, etc.

I run this all the time. It is, FOR ME, one of the most realistic air combat sims I've ever played, and I've been doing this since the mid-nineties. What doesn't work? I don't get it. What is it that isn't working?

I pick the bomber intercept over London mission, and I'm in a sky filled with Spitfires, Hurricanes, '109's and HE-111's. Contrails all over the sky, planes going down, anti-aircraft bursts. And all of this over the sprawling London map. It's incredible, to me. Amazingly real, and under one of the best looking skies I've seen in a flight sim. Add clickable cockpits and realistic battle damage, not decals, and I think it's pretty damn good. I'm very much looking forward to 5.0.

When I land after a particularly wild mission, I roll back the hood and always think, "Damn, that felt real!" I don't get that with BOX. Not knocking the sim...I'm enjoying it. But that feeling of reality isn't there for me. CLOD does that. For me, anyway. 

• Like 1

It's entirely evident that everybody's millage varies.

I spent 500 hours in Cliffs, flew with one of the largest, most organized and active squadrons in the community, cut my teeth in simming in Cliffs and I don't get what you get with Cliffs.

A bit of an aside but since it was brought up, again, in relation to Cliffs... Clicking a fuel petcock isn't a full-function clickpit (again... been there, done that...) and the validity of clickpits as an element of immersion is debatable and has been debated to the nth degree for well over a decade by this point. Clickpits don't do it for me and mousing around is considerably more immersion breaking that pressing, poking, sliding or manipulating a HOTAS button. I'd argue that HOTAS buttons are considerably more immersive and a better representation of a pilot's muscle/system/procedural memory in the cockpit.

Cliffs does have a pretty solid systems DM and a far superior visual DM - I've always given it that and would appreciate more attention to that detail in BOX.

Personally, I have never fully understood the praise for Cliffs' graphics - I don't think there's anything astoundingly special about Cliffs' graphics or anything considerably more "standout" than BOX - especially with the regressive effects mucking they did with Blitz.

And after hundreds of hours in major squadron exercises with nearly 100 other players, the on the rails flight models, poor ground modeling, lack of convincing atmospheric modeling and the things that MAKE the FLIGHT portion of a combat FLIGHT simulator pretty much sealed the deal.

What bothers me is there is always this inferred "lack of experience" like I haven't played the damn thing - nah, I have been there, I have done that and I don't think there is anything particularly stunning about Cliffs. For me, anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Space_Ghost said:

I have done that and I don't think there is anything particularly stunning about Cliffs. For me, anyway.

TF worked wonders on a dud over the years but from a personal view point Cliffs just doesn't do it for me anymore. I loaded up CLOD a few weeks ago and just though nope, it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I sincerely hope that 5.0 is a success but I will wait and see how it turns out before getting too excited about it.  That being said there is always room enough for several WWII flight sims in what is a niche market.

9 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

That being said there is always room enough for several WWII flight sims in what is a niche market.

Yes, and I'm waiting on pins and needles for the BOX P-47. Space, good answer and yeah, "Everybody's mileage varies." That's what makes the world go round.

• Upvote 2

If and when they ever add VR support to Cliffs I will install it again and enjoy it again I guess.

It would be nice to have it  as another option to my single player combat flight sim action, maybe by then all the single player weaknesses will be ironed out.

If not no big deal, I certainly have plenty to keep me busy already as it is.

• Upvote 1

Ditto - trying to figure out how to fly it, but will never go back to flatscreen. I love the idea/complement what's out there (i.e.BOX and CloD) that's equivalent, so 1940/41 updated CloD BOB - 1941/1942 BOM -1942 CloD Afrika - 1942/43 BOS - 1943 BOK - 1944 BOBpl(who knows? Germans are on the defense, seems a bit one sided? Not sure this is good... bought it anyway...). Ball's in their court, so to speak... just waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

Spanish civil war and Poland would add the rest of Europe, as well as 1943 Italy? Then it's just maps?

If you want 1945 where the Allies just rape Germany, it's not that exciting after the first two times you play it... 

Edited by 1./JG54_Schneemann

12 hours ago, dburne said:

If and when they ever add VR support to Cliffs I will install it again and enjoy it again I guess.

It would be nice to have it  as another option to my single player combat flight sim action, maybe by then all the single player weaknesses will be ironed out.

If not no big deal, I certainly have plenty to keep me busy already as it is.

BoB in VR with a career mode worthy of the ones we have in BoX would have me more excited than a kid before christmas.