BB5000

AI Mod

In ROF, there was an AI mod by criquet which basically altered the "luascripts\ai\*.txt" files to make aircraft less prone to start turn-fighting. The same logic seems to exist in BOX. Would this be an allowed mod, for example to edit speeds and ranges where ai aircraft engage or open fire ? Would it be of any use ?

• Upvote 1

Better forget about it. IMHO the whole AI logic needs to be re-written. You should better ask where are the prioritys of the Dev. Team for the moment...Single player improvements could be not on top of this list ^^

Thats the reason I put this Sim aside for over 1/2 year now. (an my wallet too)

Edited by Semor76
  • Upvote 2

Ai, for me seem mostly fine in SP.

perhaps I'm a terribad flyer.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:47 PM, OrLoK said:

It isn't perfect but there are times AI will do things that surprise me. I got shot down a couple of nights ago doing a ground attack mission and crash landed near by. I stayed in the game to watch the action for a few minutes. I was surprised to see my AI wingmen circle the target a couple of times then they both rolled in and shot it up. It can be improved but honestly I wouldn't stay away from this sim based solely on less than perfect AI.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, OrLoK said:

I agree. The AI isn't that bad in my Single Player missions. I think it depends upon how the mission craft routing is configured by the creator. In a scripted campaign I fear such routing configurations suffer to some degree.

The AI most definitely needs work and the longer they wait the more it will impact the long term commitment from sp customers. That said I agree it isn't a game stopper for me and provides a reasonably good experience. Sometimes I'd swear the devs have dropped in changes here and there. Seems enemies leverage the sun and clouds much better than Before but maybe I'm imagining it. 

Anyway the devs are playing a risky game IMO building new games without investing time in the il2 AI and other widely known problems. 

Edited by TheSNAFU
  • Thanks 3

On 7/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, Semor76 said:

Better forget about it. IMHO the whole AI logic needs to be re-written. You should better ask where are the prioritys of the Dev. Team for the moment...Single player improvements could be not on top of this list ^^

Thats the reason I put this Sim aside for over 1/2 year now. (an my wallet too)

That's exactly my thoughts too.  Priority seems to be geared towards the very few who use vr, or the few who fly MP or have the best graphics cards etc.  For the majority however; the singleplayers who make up 90% of the customer base, the improvements are so very far down the list.  It's an unusual situation, yet here we are.  

I've been buying and supporting the teams products for ten years now.  Buying eggs and hoping for bacon as I've come to think of it.  However for me as a singleplayer customer it seems that I may have made a poor trade.  I don't feel engaged enough any more to keep buying the things I don't need. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Honestly, as someone who is repeatedly frustrated with the AI during the mission building/testing process, (and I make repeated reports about it)  I do believe that the problem is the lack of a suitable programmer to fix these problems at the moment. So it's lack of staff/resources, not indicative of the Devs, Han or anyone else ignoring the problem...I'm also fairly certain that this isn't a permanent state of affairs.

That said I can understand the frustrations - I have to build around AI quirks all the time.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Priority seems to be geared towards the very few who use vr, or the few who fly MP or have the best graphics cards etc.  For the majority however; the singleplayers who make up 90% of the customer base, the improvements are so very far down the list.  It's an unusual situation, yet here we are.

On the other side, there are many complaints about missing VR features, poor optimization, and design choices that annoy VR players. Multiplayer enthusiasts also have to deal with several old issues related to netcode and servers.

The last major change brought much-needed landscape rendering improvements to match competing products. These features can be enjoyed at the highest settings with fairly modest hardware from several years ago (e.g. GTX 970). The other major part of that update was the monumental career mode for SP.

Ultimately, we're dealing with a small team that has very limited resources for anything that requires programming. Although I agree that the AI is quite troublesome, I wouldn't blame it on VR, MP, or graphics. The improvements have been spread throughout the product.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
Edited for clarity
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

The improvements have been spread very thinly throughout the product.

Unless you misspoke there, I'd have to disagree. From graphical improvements to actual gameplay, from FMs to other technical aspects of the sim, I think there have been tremendous improvements from the first official release. Perhaps you're saying the improvements have been spread evenly throughout the product? If so, then I'd agree with you. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Unless you misspoke there, I'd have to disagree. From graphical improvements to actual gameplay, from FMs to other technical aspects of the sim, I think there have been tremendous improvements from the first official release. Perhaps you're saying the improvements have been spread evenly throughout the product? If so, then I'd agree with you. 

Agreed, it wasn't the best way to say it. 

There have been huge improvements in MP, SP, VR, and graphics. However, it simply hasn't been possible to fix everything; all four of these aspects could still be improved.

• Upvote 1

But .... To sum up a bit, have the Devs ever said that they will improve the AI or they won't? I am a bit lost about reading about the AI in so many different threats but nothing gets specific.

The AI can be very frustrating, I have played just about every single player campaign made so far and have beta tested two for the builders.  AI formation flying is just atrocious, if you are back in the formation it is definitely something that will make you frustrated as hell to fly the mission.  If you are number two it's a follow the leader thing.  If the formation travels for quite a bit between way-points they almost behave normally, if there are course changes it's a Chinese fire drill to keep formation.  It is definitely something that needs a major fix.  It could be like someone mentioned there is no one capable of fixing it or the wheel just has not been squeaky enough. 

Cheers

Hoss

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

But .... To sum up a bit, have the Devs ever said that they will improve the AI or they won't? I am a bit lost about reading about the AI in so many different threats but nothing gets specific.

During one of Jason's question and answer sessions this came up and I'll quote Gambit here.....

20 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

the problem is the lack of a suitable programmer to fix these problems at the moment. So it's lack of staff/resources, not indicative of the Devs, Han or anyone else ignoring the problem...

.....as these were Jason's almost exact words at the time.  They lost their dedicated a.i. guy a few years previously and have not been able to replace him.  Jason also went on to say he wanted to do "a deep dive"  into the a.i. at some time in the future when resources allow it.

So the intention is definitely there...

I've been messing around with some of these settings. It's a huge amount of work and testing. If anyone is interested in playing with it, here's some files. Some changes definitely make a difference. Just as an example, changes to the pid section will make them fly quite differently.

rise of flight -plane ai reference - not in english

rise of flight - plane ai reference - v2.14.zip

ai guide - translated text document

ai guide.txt

ai test -default ai settings - make your changes and load as a mod

ai test.rar

Edited by Ptk
  • Upvote 2

I've been messing around with the ai too :cool:

I've found how to get the AI to stop turning in circles whenever you are on their six, but their defensive maneuvers are pretty limited. Also found a fix to the AI snaking during takeoff but I've had no luck in getting the commands/formation flying to be better.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

Sorry my English is bad

There is not a week going on without one hearing about artificial intelligence in the media and more.

Simulation designers will therefore be concerned at some point or another.

The first simulator producer who will integrate an artificial pilot with his qualities and faults,

his tactical abilities more or less good and specific to nations and eras, the fatigue and stress of the pilot in action.

The producer who will develop this algorithm will do a great blow compared to others.

Today simulators like BOX have made enormous progress in graphic quality and reproduction of devices and landscapes.

There is no longer any need to integrate an artificial pilot algorithm into planes and a strategist to manage campaigns for dynamic campaigns. And the simulator will be completely transformed with the same graphic modeling and the same FM aircraft.

The multi-player will always remain for enthusiasts who has a very good internet connection and the opportunity to play together as a team at specific times.

I also think that the solo game affects a lot more people than the multi-player, so it's a very important market.

Of course, as has been said above, the simulator designers are small equips and are therefore limited in abilities to deal with all subjects at the same time.

But artificial intelligence will one day appear in the world of simulation.

AI's behavior will be completely transformed.

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Upvote 1