-JG2-Oesaumarousovo

Il 2 flying circus vol. 2

Hi, as you know the il 2 flying circus vol.1 is in the development however taking a closer look at it, even through the upgraded damage models ( and some bugs, which I wont mention, because its just "alpha" of the game ) I ask myself "havent I seen this before"?

I really wanna see something new, in the RoF we didnt see a single Austro-Hungarian aircraft and the only Italian plane was a hanriot.

Why the vol.2 couldn't be a Austro - Hungaria vs Italy?

In this case I did some plane list

Aviatik d.I

Albatros d.III oeffag

Phönix d.1

Aviatik c.1

Phönix c.I

Hanriot hd.I

Spad 7

Nieuport 27

Savoia - Pomilio SP2

caudron G.4

Edited by marousovo
Plane list check

I always wanted to see the Oeffag Albatros D.III and the Aviatik D.I in RoF.

But for FC Vol.2 I feel like it'll contain planes we already have in RoF. Which will hopefully include the Nieuport 17, Breguet 14B2, DFW C.V and maybe even the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12.

You are right, maybe it would be a good plan for future when the flying circus series will contain atleast 20 planes and I do consider the fact, that now there are 3 Il 2 games in development.I just feel the RoF was always missing Austro-Hungaria vs Italy

I for one have been working under the assumption that they will be doing volumes to get us back to the content (maybe not eastern front, but I would be cool with seeing that again too) that we had in ROF before going to anything new. 

57 minutes ago, marousovo said:

You are right, maybe it would be a good plan for future when the flying circus series will contain atleast 20 planes and I do consider the fact, that now there are 3 Il 2 games in development.I just feel the RoF was always missing Austro-Hungaria vs Italy

I can see it now.... IL2  Linguini Edition.

Image result for spaghetti western

Edited by Klugermann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

MY own passion is early warbirds, not that I wouldn’t buy this Italian Front package day one.  I would love it.  (And I’d end up reading new books.)

However, I suspect it’s more practical to get the most people happy first by producing most of the well known WW1 planes.  Even more, these are the same planes as the current lineup of ROF and are therefore presumably less expensive to produce. 

I really want the Devs to make money on Flying Circus.  I think they’re success is ours, if we like more content.  

Ceowulf<><

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marousovo said:

Because the plan is to bring over what's already been created in ROF. Creating a bunch of new planes of dubious popularity at this point would be a terrible idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I would not expect to see anything new until everything from Rof Was converted and sales are going well.

Considering that Vol1 is the original 3d models with high res textures and a modified FM to fit into the BoS engine... Vol2 will probably be the rest of the RoF planes. I doubt they are going to spend the time making new 3d models when they can just repackage the rest of the existing ones.

I'm just hoping for single-player content. I understand that they need a critical mass of assetts and other content before that can happen, but I'm in a catch 22 of wanting to support the development, but can't see myself spending much time in FC if there are no campaigns or career modes.

I do have this same worry, honestly.  No career until enough sales.  Not enough sales until career.  On the other hand, they've carried through with everything else so I'm sure they'll get it done.

Ceowulf<><

IIRC new airframes are out of the question unless FC proves really popular. I'm still hoping to see new engine variants of airframes we already have (the same way we see lots and lots of Bf-109G variants). 

11 hours ago, =AGW=Master said:

Considering that Vol1 is the original 3d models with high res textures and a modified FM to fit into the BoS engine... Vol2 will probably be the rest of the RoF planes. I doubt they are going to spend the time making new 3d models when they can just repackage the rest of the existing ones.

The 3D models are completely redone, it's the flight models that are largely unchanged outside of porting them to the improved BoX engine0

What bothers me more is that there won't be enough German content to keep the volumes in 5v5 format, even if D.VIII and D.XII are shoehorned with late 1917 planes. From pre-1918 scouts we have Albatrosen D.II (2 variants), D.III, Halberstadt and Eindecker. Just enough for one "Bloody April" expansion with Roland or DFW as fifth plane. But the other side will have to pick five from among D.H.2, N11, N.17 (2 variants), Pup, Tripe, Hanriot, R.E.8, Breguet, D.H.4, Strutter, F.e.2.b... that's enough planes to fill two volumes already. The engine variants could help Germans a bit, except most variants we don't have are 1918 ones. Of course, there is "D.II tail, 160hp Mercedes early Albatros D.III" we don't have, (and Nieuport 17 can be sold to us yet again with  Siemens-Schuckert D.I  label ) but it isn't enough.

This is what I'd like to see.

I've provided links to the Rise of Flight store pages and explanations below.

Volume 2 "Early War"

Entente

Central

Why? (and who didn't make the cut)

This should cover the early war from 1916 to mid 1917 rather well (think Battle of Moscow but for WWI). All of these planes are ready to be ported over and don't suffer from any flight model "controversies", such as the Sopwith Triplane (in popular opinion) or Breguet 14 (in my own humble opinion). Leaving out the Nieuport 11 is a tough call, but scout diversity on the Central side is very low, and the Eindecker needs an opponent it can handle: the Airco DH.2. The Halberstadt D.II was never a popular plane in RoF, despite seeing service into early 1917, even with MvR himself, but there's no real alternative on Central, unless we substract a scout for another two-seater such as the Roland CIIa — one of my personal favourites. The Strutter is a very versatile two-seater which saw service with the British, French and Belgians all throughout the war from 1916 onward. The DFW C.V is the true workhorse of the Central side and it's indispensable, as is the rest of the planeset mentioned above.

Volume 3 "Late War"

Entente

Central

Why? (and what planes still need to be developed)

This late war should easily be one of the most popular settings (think Battle of Bodenplatte but for WWI) and might even sway over some of the staunchest contrarians who think WWI dogfights are boring and slow. That said, it needs some fleshing out on both sides. The SPAD XIII 240hp is the late French scout we absolutely need to compete with the Fokker D.VIIF and Pfalz D.XII at altitude. The Snipe and SS D.IV have always been crowd favourites and will likely become the new "map clearers" in multiplayer. Still it makes sense to develop them, even if mission builders shouldn't make them available in every mission. The Phoenix C.I is a bit of a mystery to me. It can obviously be used as a late war Central scout, in more or less of a "what if" fashion. After all, our Pfalz D.XII with its current engine already is a "what if" plane.

Collector planes sold separately

Entente

Central

Why? (and who is still missing after this)

We absolutely need the bombers, but not everyone is going to want to fly them — let alone pay for them. The Nieuport 11, Sopwith Triplane (after a little love), Breguet 14 and Roland CIIa are fantastic machines and way ahead of their time. They should easily garner some attention. The R.E.8 and Fee are some of my personal favourite heavy fighters recce machines, but I don't see them being popular with everyone as part of a volume. As for everyone who ever wanted the "old" Camel and Dr.I back: we could have the Bentley Camel developed, and the Fokker D.VI, who should perform quite similarly.

This still leaves out the seaplanes: the Brandenburg W12 and Felixtowe F.2a. I love these planes, but they make little sense without a Channel map. Ditto for the Russians planes: Sikorsky S-16 and Sikorsky S-22, who need a Russian map.

But Bender, we have Russian maps!

You know what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Very nice post, Hell!

I can agree on quite alot of things, even though I feel like your idea for Vol.3 is a little too ambitious. I just don't think that we'll ever get to see entirely new planes. Hope that I'll be proven wrong sometime in the future...

Never getting the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 would be quite sad, though.

By the way, you can add another plane for the Central Powers for your Vol.3 suggestion, since we will already be getting the Fokker D.VIIF as an engine modification for the D.VII in Vol.1.

Edited by Fritz_X

Bender - We will get Fokker D.VIIF in FC1, so I would replace it with 200hp D.VII on your list, Bender. And replace Snipe with Bentley Camel, put Roland in Early War, replace Phonix with DFW  and SS with overcompressed version of earlier plane to get us back from fantasyland :). All Tripe  needs is separation from Camel and restoration to old FM :). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fritz_X said:

By the way, you can add another plane for the Central Powers for your Vol.3 suggestion, since we will already be getting the Fokker D.VIIF as an engine modification for the D.VII in Vol.1.

I had no idea about the F coming to FC1, that is great news! And only logical, really, after all the Bristol and Halberstadt are also both getting their stronger engines as modifications (I hope). Maybe we'll see a Bentley Camel as part of a modification, too?

If I could have one more Central scout developed, it would be the Junkers D.I. I think it would make more sense (and be easier on the devs) to just have the Fokker D.VI in Volume 3 straight away.

17 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Bender - We will get Fokker D.VIIF in FC1, so I would replace it with 200hp D.VII on your list, Bender. And replace Snipe with Bentley Camel, put Roland in Early War, replace Phonix with DFW  and SS with overcompressed version of earlier plane to get us back from fantasyland :). All Tripe  needs is separation from Camel and restoration to old FM :). 

We'll just assume that the Fokker D.VII will have three engine variants down the line: vanilla Mercedes D.IIIa, overcompressed Mercedes D.IIIau and BMW IIIa — same for the Camel and its Bentley engine, then.

I'd love a Roland, you know that, but if we keep the 4 scouts + 1 two-seater format, it just won't fit. The DFW is way more important. We could do without the Halberstadt D.II, but if they don't package it as part of a Volume, I'm not sure if it will ever get the attention it deserves by mission builders.

As for the Triplane, I'm sending you a message. ;)

It is extraordinarily unlike that 777/1CGS will invest the resources in to building entirely new 3D and flight models for WWI - at least for the foreseeable future.

What would also make more sense is that rather than taking the approach that every nationality that participated in the war must be represented in some largely fragmented fashion, that the most common, noteworthy, recognizable, unique and fun WWI aircraft be represented.

20 hours ago, marousovo said:

Hi, as you know the il 2 flying circus vol.1 is in the development however taking a closer look at it, even through the upgraded damage models ( and some bugs, which I wont mention, because its just "alpha" of the game ) I ask myself "havent I seen this before"?

I really wanna see something new, in the RoF we didnt see a single Austro-Hungarian aircraft and the only Italian plane was a hanriot.

In this case I did some plane list

Aviatik d.I

Albatros d.III oeffag

Phönix d.1

Aviatik c.1

Phönix c.I

Hanriot hd.I

Spad 7

Nieuport 27

Savoia - Pomilio SP2

caudron G.4

I desire this strongly! But I think it would be volume 4 or 5! Hopefully this will succeed well.

Also, you left out the seaplanes in the Adriatic...!

34 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I had no idea about the F coming to FC1, that is great news! And only logical, really, after all the Bristol and Halberstadt are also both getting their stronger engines as modifications (I hope).

According to the store page, we will!

Even if only ten planes are listed, we are basically getting 13 RoF planes in Vol.1.

Great list Bender.   (With Trupo’s edit.)

The thing is, if we get all the Rise of Flight planes, and a good career system, and not another thing, we will have a really nice Great War flight sim.  In my opinion.  

Ceowulf<><   

• Upvote 2

Having the bombers as collectors would be nice. also stuff like the pfalz D.VII the fokker D.VIII and maybe even a sopwith snipe as collector planes 

edit:Meant to say pfalz D.XII 

Edited by =FEW=nightrise

18 hours ago, =FEW=nightrise said:

Having the bombers as collectors would be nice. also stuff like the pfalz D.VII the fokker D.VIII and maybe even a sopwith snipe as collector planes 

I'd buy 10 snipes and hold on to them until they become antiques, them sell sell sell. 

I can imagine many camel drivers would salivate over the snipe, I know I would.

20 hours ago, =FEW=nightrise said:

The D.VIII already exists in ROF.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, LukeFF said:

The D.VIII already exists in ROF.

so does the pfalz. would still be nice to see both in flying circus.

24 minutes ago, =FEW=nightrise said:

so does the pfalz. would still be nice to see both in flying circus.

The Pfalz D.III, not the Pfalz D.VII. The Pfalz D.VII wasn‘t even seen in WWI (except for trials).

Edited by ZachariasX

@Hellbender  One aircraft I do not see in your list for future development is the LFG Roland D.VI. Why not? That is one plane that should help to balance things out. There were more of them produced than the Dr.1, and some of the others in your list. It was a good late war plane that would offset some of the deficiencies of the Fokker aircraft in top speed.  

Edited by I-Fly-Central

31 minutes ago, I-Fly-Central said:

@Hellbender  One aircraft I do not see in your list for future development is the LFG Roland D.VI. Why not? That is one plane that should help to balance things out. There were more of them produced than the Dr.1, and some of the others in your list. It was a good late war plane that would offset some of the deficiencies of the Fokker aircraft in top speed.  

I would like to see a Roland D.VI in the future, perhaps as a collector plane, but it does not share the same history of the Fokker Dr.1. 

First the Dr.1 is unique in the sense that it came as a response to the Sopwith Triplane, to me a legendary aircraft on its own. And the Fokker Dr.1 became a legend as well, and not just because of MvR, but also because of Voss and his historic dogfight with the 56th squadron, a group of luminaries of the RFC. It also has some known aces like Jacobs (who had two Dr.1s and flew the type until the end of the war), Richthofen and Voss in her list of aces.

The other aspect is that the Roland D.VI seem to have reached its peak of 70 aircraft in the front line at the last months of the war, when the Dr.1 reached a peak of 171 (some argue 150 operational) in March / April 1918. So the the Dr.1 was more representative than the Roland D.VI. Also not to mention that the Dr.1 was sent to equip important jastas (including Jasta 11) as 'the new thing" to replace Albatroses and Pfalzes, not just another aircraft. So it was the front line back then, representative of the short transitional period from Albatroses to D.VIIs, even if controversial, while the Roland D.VI was contemporary of the Fokker D.VII and was just another aircraft in the bunch so to speak.

Then I imagine we are talking about apples and oranges.

Ah man, there are a few early-mid crates I'd love to see in FC eventually! Namely, the:

Martynside G.100

Armstrong-Whitworth F.K.8 'Big Ack'

Morane-Saulnier N

B.E.2 or Bristol Scout with a 45 degree Lewis mount (how fun would that be?!)

Vickers Gunbus(!!!)

Albatros D.III OEFFAG

Albatros D.I

Albatros C.III / C.V

Halberstadt D.I, D.III or D.IV

Nieuport 16

A D.H.2 that stands a chance against Eindeckers! 

And, of course, the "Controversial" one, a Tripehound that puts the fear in Albies! 

Any one of them will do 😉

Edited by US103_Larner

58 minutes ago, I-Fly-Central said:

I don't know much about the Roland D.VI, but I would certainly love to have it!

That said, I'm not sure what you mean with "deficiencies of the Fokker aircraft in top speed"? The Fokker D.VIIF, which we're already getting in Volume 1, has a top speed of close to 200km/h at sea level, and retains its speed best of all available scouts at high altitude. The Pfalz D.XII is very similar in that respect. That's why we would in fact need a SPAD XIII 240hp to have an Entente fighter that can somewhat match those two at high altitudes. I'm not convinced that the Roland could top that.

I maintain that Central absolutely needs a late war two-seater. The Halberstadt CL.II is rather anemic, even with its "200hp" engine. The DFW is a fine workhorse, even in 1918, but its age really shows at that point. As for scouts, the Snipe and Siemens-Schuckert are crowd pleasers and it wouldn't make sense not to make... Of course it's anyone's guess what the devs actually still want to develop (if anything at all) and what they consider a plane worth making. In the end, we eventually got the Hanriot HD.1 in RoF — something I had dreamed about since release back in 2009 — but I wouldn't call that plane significant. Of course since the FM update it also no longer performs like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries, but that's a different story.

9 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

In the end, we eventually got the Hanriot HD.1 in RoF — something I had dreamed about since release back in 2009 — but I wouldn't call that plane significant. Of course since the FM update it also no longer performs like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries, but that's a different story.

The Hanriot wasn't nerfed. My tests were done in 2015, well after the nerfing and it flies just fine, reaching 188km/h (measuring distance vs time). Right now on the Channel map I could make it go 186km/h on IAS at 45m. Perhaps with fine tunning I can get to 187km/h. 

And it climbs like a beast, even better than the D8 and still climbs better than the pre-nerfed Camel.

12 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

The Hanriot wasn't nerfed. My tests were done in 2015, well after the nerfing and it flies just fine, reaching 188km/h (measuring distance vs time). Right now on the Channel map I could make it go 186km/h on IAS at 45m. Perhaps with fine tunning I can get to 187km/h. 

And it climbs like a beast, even better than the D8 and still climbs better than the pre-nerfed Camel.

I think you misread my post. I didn't claim it was changed in any way; I said it no longer performs like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries.

Of course the HD.1 itself doesn't have a 130hp Clerget 9B, but rather a 120hp Le Rhone 9jb — but the Hanriot HD.2 seaplane does. And for a seaplane with a Clerget, it is surprisingly fast and climbs surprisingly well compared to, say, a Sopwith Strutter, Triplane or Camel.

Now before you interpret this as me implying there might be some kind of strange inconsistency between similarly powered planes, you should also know that the Hanriot had an actual French Clerget, while Sopwiths more than likely used British license-built ones, which may only have produced around 110hp according to Trenchard.

That said, annoyingly so, the (bloody) Belgians did fly Camels (with British Clergets 9B), Hanriots and Nieuport 23 (with French Le Rhone 9jb) all interchangeably, engines included, so we're once again left with a conundrum. It's quite late for mental gymnastics of this caliber, so we'll best leave this conversation for some other time. I will just say that to me, the Hanriot no longer makes sense in the big picture.

19 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I think you misread my post. I didn't claim it was changed in any way; I said it no longer performs like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries.

Of course the HD.1 itself doesn't have a 130hp Clerget 9B, but rather a 120hp Le Rhone 9jb — but the Hanriot HD.2 seaplane does. And for a seaplane with a Clerget, it is surprisingly fast and climbs surprisingly well compared to, say, a Sopwith Strutter, Triplane or Camel.

Now before you interpret this as me implying there might be some kind of strange inconsistency between similarly powered planes, you should also know that the Hanriot had an actual French Clerget, while Sopwiths more than likely used British license-built ones, which may only have produced around 110hp according to Trenchard.

That said, annoyingly so, the (bloody) Belgians did fly Camels (with British Clergets 9B), Hanriots and Nieuport 23 (with French Le Rhone 9jb) all interchangeably, engines included, so we're once again left with a conundrum. It's quite late for mental gymnastics of this caliber, so we'll best leave this conversation for some other time. I will just say that to me, the Hanriot no longer makes sense in the big picture.

But the HD.2 also meets the store numbers (I just tested). Because the way you frased it, sounded clear that you were saying the Hanriot was nerfed.

They both behave like we got them (in 2014?).

10 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

But the HD.2 also meets the store numbers (I just tested). Because the way you frased it, sounded clear that you were saying the Hanriot was nerfed.

They both behave like we got them (in 2014?).

That’s exactly my point and what I wrote in my post: since the FM update (which happened at the end of 2014, iirc), they no longer behave like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries, who were indeed changed.

I don’t know whether that has to do with the fact that the Hanriot was indeed released only shortly before the FM update and it was deemed fine as-is for the reasons I mentioned above (French Clerget).

I still wouldn’t call the update as a whole a “nerf”, it accomplished some much needed things, although there was a lack of documentation, which left it up to us to interpret some of the changes (or lack thereof). This remains my personal pet peeve: I have no trouble accepting any of the numbers, so long as they make sense and are documented.

3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

The Pfalz D.III, not the Pfalz D.VII. The Pfalz D.VII wasn‘t even seen in WWI (except for trials).

I meant to say the D.XII i just confused my roman numerals 

1 hour ago, Hellbender said:

I don't know much about the Roland D.VI, but I would certainly love to have it!

That said, I'm not sure what you mean with "deficiencies of the Fokker aircraft in top speed"? The Fokker D.VIIF, which we're already getting in Volume 1, has a top speed of close to 200km/h at sea level, and retains its speed best of all available scouts at high altitude. The Pfalz D.XII is very similar in that respect. That's why we would in fact need a SPAD XIII 240hp to have an Entente fighter that can somewhat match those two at high altitudes. I'm not convinced that the Roland could top that.

I maintain that Central absolutely needs a late war two-seater. The Halberstadt CL.II is rather anemic, even with its "200hp" engine. The DFW is a fine workhorse, even in 1918, but its age really shows at that point. As for scouts, the Snipe and Siemens-Schuckert are crowd pleasers and it wouldn't make sense not to make... Of course it's anyone's guess what the devs actually still want to develop (if anything at all) and what they consider a plane worth making. In the end, we eventually got the Hanriot HD.1 in RoF — something I had dreamed about since release back in 2009 — but I wouldn't call that plane significant. Of course since the FM update it also no longer performs like any of the other Clerget 9B rotaries, but that's a different story.

The D.VIIF and LFG Roland D.VI had the same approximate top speed. Some sources estimate it to be a bit faster, some slower, and some the same. I have seen numbers from 200 to 204 KPH. These two were in direct competition for production; with the D.VII air frame winning the larger contract in the end.

The standard D.VII was substantially slower, however, as were the other offerings. Including the Pfalz D.XII; as it was substantially slower in real life than what we had in RoF. 

As it stands in FC Vol.1; the D.VIIF is going to be available as an "engine modification" to the D.VII. The Pfalz D.XII is not being offered at all. This means that the Germans will have access to only one aircraft capable of going 200KPH. The Entente will have the Spad XIII with its max speed around 218 KPH, and the RAF S.E.5.a with its max speed around 222 KPH, and the Sopwith Dolphin with its top speed of around 211 KPH.

The Germans have a big speed deficit in terms of what is being offered. That is all I was saying.

Again I say; the LFG Roland D.VI would offset some of the deficiencies in speed for the Germans. 

Edited by I-Fly-Central

36 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I don’t know whether that has to do with the fact that the Hanriot was indeed released only shortly before the FM update and it was deemed fine 

The Hanriot wasn't nerfed most likely because it is not really a true turnfighter. So if people don't fear it, they might have not felt the need to nerf. Perhaps it also might have a separate FM for the Clerget, so they left it alone.

I still wouldn’t call the update as a whole a “nerf”, it accomplished some much needed things, although there was a lack of documentation, which left it up to us to interpret some of the changes (or lack thereof). This remains my personal pet peeve: I have no trouble accepting any of the numbers, so long as they make sense and are documented.

Not the update as a whole, but for some particular planes it was a nerf, a thing to please part of the community. If they researched it and what conclusion they draw about it I have no idea, but I also have no idea how they let pass a Camel fix that makes it climb like an Albatros D.II and that aparently can't go above 1220rpm. As we are talking about the Hanriot, you have the Hanriot HD.2, a floatplane, roughly 10km/h faster than the Camel, same engine if I'm not mistaken (store data). Does it make sense? I don't think so. And we have the Sopwith Triplane, which is well documented as being superior to the Albatros D.III in every regard but dive if I'm not mistaken.

Then I don't think it was a fix on these planes. They were simply nerfed, and everyone knows the Tripe got the axe as a colateral damage (looks like she shares the same engine FM with the Camel). If they could do a proper fix, I think so, but it would require time and they were not even responding to easy fixes we were asking. If they have time now? Who knows, but it is a new module.

I won't talk about the Dr.1 because Chill got two original rotary engines and he will let us know how they perform, perhaps in a year or two. I really don't expect much, if it will confirm the 165km/h range or not. Because relative performance is what is more important. For example, there is no way to explain a floatplane with the same engine of the Camel to fly 10km/h faster. These are the issues that need to be addressed for now until the day someone gets a quantum computer or a supercomputer and starts to compute these aircraft like Boeing or Airbus would do. Heck, the Embraer headquarters is located a few hours' drive from my house (haha). Or then go around the world testing some historic replicas with historic engines, doing GPS readings and such.

Since the devs don't have access to it -- to collect data in this way for some key aircraft to make it even and precise --, they should go the relative performance route, not just nerf a couple planes to satisfy the famine crowd and mess up the whole chart.

Edited by SeaW0lf