Wolf8312

Be specific about why you want the pacific?

Just wondering why so many people are so desperate for a pacific map, as personally, although I would happily buy and enjoy it, I dont think it would be my first choice if I could choose, I'd much rather a France/holland/belgium 1940 campaign though I'm sure with BOBP someone will knock something similar up.

Is it mainly the American market who are so eager for the pacific scenario, or is it popular amongst all nationalities? I like the idea cause vast expanses of sea might make for great performance in VR, but to be honest from a historical and aesthetic perspective it doesen't excite me anywhere near as much as maps like stalingrad, or Moscow.

Is it the AC carriers? The history, and the fact it's an american battle? The terrifying idea, of being shot down over a watery abyss (imagine iron man), or just a penchant for the ocean?

So be specific why does everyone care so much about the pacific?

Edited by Wolf8312

Well, it's more than an "American battle".   You have Australia, New Zealand, India, Great Britain, The Netherlands, China, oh and of course, Japan.

Carriers are certainly part of it, but not all of it, as the longest running air campaign in the "Pacific" was the fight between the Japanese Army air forces and US and British Empire air forces in New Guinea.  Remember, carrier battles lasted a few days typically, the New Guinea campaign lasted two years or so.

The Pacific is just so varied, with so many different an interesting aircraft types that I find it utterly compelling.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Carrier ops is the big appeal for me. Catching the wire in VR with a damaged bird, then taking a 5 minute afk to calm down while my hands stop shaking :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Well, it's more than an "American battle".   You have Australia, New Zealand, India, Great Britain, The Netherlands, China, oh and of course, Japan.

Carriers are certainly part of it, but not all of it, as the longest running air campaign in the "Pacific" was the fight between the Japanese Army air forces and US and British Empire air forces in New Guinea.  Remember, carrier battles lasted a few days typically, the New Guinea campaign lasted two years or so.

The Pacific is just so varied, with so many different an interesting aircraft types that I find it utterly compelling.

Thanks I know other nations fought over there but I always kind of connect the eastern air war in the pacific with the US for some reason.

I may have to get an audio book on that particular theatre and see if I can immerse myself in it a little more. I've neglected the eastern part of WW2 for too long I think and it is interesting. Like I said in the OP it's not that I dont understand why people like or want it, I'm just curious to understand the facsination with it! 

51 minutes ago, dburne said:

Cause it is The Pacific of course!

:happy:

That is the exact opposite of specific Dburne! 😁

Edited by Wolf8312

My second flight sim (after A-10 Tank Killer) was Aces of the Pacific by Dynamix. It was a wonderful game that I played on a 386 and it took itself as seriously as PCs back those days could do. It came with a ring binder history book detailing the aircraft and chronology of the Pacific conflict and I have that to thank for starting a life long interest in history in general as well as the Pacific conflict.

I think what the Pacific offers is some different situations and scenarios that you don't find in the West Front or the East front.

Carrier ops are a huge part of it. Unique aircraft on both sides of the conflict are a big part too. The tropical islands, jungles, and open ocean present different challenges and unique scenery.

Just as the Bf109 vs Spitfire or vs Yak are some of the iconic match-ups over Europe, the A6M Zero and Ki-43 Oscar vs F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat and P-38 are the iconic match-ups of the Pacific.

I think we can have a lot of fun with the Pacific and I do hope that the devs take some time to do something like New Guinea where you had a lot of Commonwealth ops with the Australian Air Force flying aircraft like the Beaufighter or Guadalcanal with the RNZAF squadrons working with the USAAF and USMC in defense of that island. There's a lot of variety and a lot of people don't really know the whole story.

• Upvote 2

For me its the variety. I'm not the hugest fan of the Pacific, but I like the varied challenges of landing on Aircraft carriers, navigating over water. Fighting zeros in early to mid-war American planes is also a bit of thrill.

I played a bit of the Pacific theatre in Il-2 1946 and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, as I had little interest in it at the time.

Finally, its an important theatre of the war that often gets ignored (although a little less so of late)...in that sense it similar to the Eastern front, where the Sim facilitates quite a bit of learning on my part. Especially the career mode, as it tracks the battle historically.

If we get the Pacific after Bodenplatte we'll have almost every major theatre represented in this Sim....western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Pacific. Then just North Africa/the Med and it's Il-2 1946's scope with New Il-2's modeling, physics and gameplay.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedKestrel said:

For me its the variety. I'm not the hugest fan of the Pacific, but I like the varied challenges of landing on Aircraft carriers, navigating over water.

Oh I never thought about navigation. Sounds like a nightmare if you can't hug the coast!

6 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Oh I never thought about navigation. Sounds like a nightmare if you can't hug the coast!

Since we already have some radio-nav options in planes in the Sim, I'm sure that the similar things they equipped carrier aircraft with would be modelled as well.

But navigation at MIdway is going to be dead reckoning only ...find yourself cruising along after a 10 minute swirling dogfight, and you might be almost permanently lost without some kind of nav beacon.

4 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Didn't the carriers have a homing beacon though ? I can already imagine my despair, when my instruments get shot up and lose my compass and radio direction instrument at the same time.

The carriers wouldn't have transmitted all the time though would they ?

Draw range needs to be improved for Pacific operations, as right now the 10km or 9,5 km range applies to vehicles, aircraft and ships alike. It gets especially bad at higher altitudes where you cant see a ship until you're almost on top of them.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Didn't the carriers have a homing beacon though ? I can already imagine my despair, when my instruments get shot up and lose my compass and radio direction instrument at the same time.

I think dogfighting over the shark infested pacific ocean must have been the most terrifying thing a pilot could have imagined so lonely and far from home.

We have the Eastern Front with BoS, BoM, and BoK, we have the early Western Front with CloD, we're getting the late Western Front with BoBP, and we're getting North Africa with CloD.

And all of those are full of variants of the same aircraft. Which, of course, makes total sense. You can't have any of those games and not put the Bf-109 in it. 

But the Pacific would bring so many brand new aircraft into the game. Stuff that we haven't seen accurately modeled with modern technology, like the Zero, Dauntless, Avenger, Devastator, Val, Kate, Betty, etc.

That's why I want to see the Pacific - it's something different and refreshing.

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Maybe only when they knew the strike package would be returning? 

Learning to do dead reckoning well is going to be a big thing over open water...

I am not American and still the Pacific has always been the more interesting theater for me. I am mainly focusing on the technical aspects, thus I don't care much about the involved nationalities. It certainly helps that the F4U is my favorite aircraft, but it is mainly because of aspects like the enormous distances that had to been covered, long supply lines to remote and exotic battlefields with little infrastructure, amphibious and carrier warfare and so on. 

The same reasons I am more interested in the war in North Africa that in mainland Europe.

• Upvote 2

For same reason I want WW1 and North Africa, I suppose... it captivates the imagination of some people. For Americans, it was closest thing to a regular war on home front they had in last 200 years, too. That one time a foreign country attacked US territory first with intention of fighting an all-out war.  

To me, it's mostly far-away conflict of impact limited to area I don't cate that much about, but I am really fascinated in convoluted mess that was  relations between Imperial Japan Army, Navy, goverment and court; it appeals more to my fantasy / roleplaying streak more than my historical streak... the fact it existed and worked to a degree is fascinating.

• Upvote 1

Hello! I think Pacific is one of the "missing" gems.

Now we have East front and West front incoming. It's only natural we need Pacific too! Mediterranean is going to come with TFS but I would like to have some Africa here too alongside early West front.

I think we need more variety. Great Battles is slowly becoming 46' in content wich is the best approach. Let's see what future brings.

In my personal opinion, I like carrier ops and also some ground pounding on islands. Navigation is also a good point for me.

Kind regards

• Upvote 1

I want it because i love Japanese planes...:pilot:...and the beach...:biggrin:...

• Upvote 2

As a matter of pure opinion, I don’t care an awful lot about the Pacific and would rather see more fleshing out of the Eastern Front or more branching out to earlier air battles in the war.

• Like 2

I would buy a Pacific option if it involved the RAF or Royal Navy involvement.

The only US scenario I would definitely buy would be a Guadalcanal campaign..

It's simple, everything. For me its an entirely different theater, plaenset, fighting style and environment. And it's not necessairly ocean only. If you include into the broader Pacific also China-Burma theater, Philipines, New Guinea or Solomon Islands you get interesting and unique landscapes. It also means that you get a more combined combat since it's less dependant on ground pounding of static objects but also attacks on shipping. 

It's also an entirely different planeset with Wildcats, Corsairs, Zeros, Ki-61s, etc. etc. Many of this aircraft are unique and provide an experience very different to what you get either over western or eastern Europe.

Plus it has one more advantage. No 109s. Not a single one. And then in the old days of Il-2 PF you could encounter JG guys asking for inclusion of 109s/190s into planeset over New Guinea or Marianas :) Because reasons :) 

• Upvote 6

My best times in any IL2 franchise was carrier missions in the Slot fighting Zeroes with Wildcats. I long for that kind of action again. 

• Upvote 2

Don't overlook the MXY-7s - a concentrated quintessence of Japanese mentality and war doctrine.

Because in the West the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre is largely disregarded and reduced to Pearl Harbor, Midway, Mariana and Palau Islands, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Nuke - if at all!

Because it's far more than just Zero, Hellcat, Corsair, carriers, Kamikaze, *insert other aviation stereotype here*!
Because it's differs in so many aspects from the stereotypical Euro-centric WWII aviation scenarios.
Because few Japanese aircraft are around in musea, especially in the West. Let alone airworthy ones (few Zeros raisen again ;)).
Because it offers so much diversity in terms of a PC Simulator Game.

Most importantly: Because to me it's the most interesting part of aviation history. :)

History should be apolitical and thus I don't care about who and where.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

Yes at the end of the day, for me its about the flying. The more birds I get to fly the happier I am, and the pacific brings a lot of new birds to the table.

Carrier ops, island hopping and .50 cals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm Australian, not American and I would welcome the Pacific.  Not for the forlorn hope of RAAF, RNZAF or RAF content.  It would be a cold day in hell before we saw that.  But rather for the Japanese aircraft and the uniquely skewed matchup with US aircraft that would make the theatre so interesting.  The vulnerable Japanese aircraft owned the low speed manoeuvring combat, and the US aircraft brought the high speed heavily armoured energy attacks.  The two forces are a study in opposites, but at the same time so closely matched. 

• Like 1

Yes for Pacific only due to Kamikatze pilots, who will left the eastern front and will go to the pacific. :))

In my opinion Pacific has nothing to bring to me. Dont like both the US and Japan planes... Only carriers are interesting, but only 5 minutes. Then run quickly to the white eastern fronts where Yaks and Bfs are crossing the sky.

32 minutes ago, WWGriphos said:

My best times in any IL2 franchise was carrier missions in the Slot fighting Zeroes with Wildcats. I long for that kind of action again. 

You and me both!

Carrier ops, naval warfare, japanese and american aircraft. Instead of another set of german plane variants im really looking forward to new japanese and american planes.

P-38 Lightning, CARRIER OPS, Wildcats, Zeros, Bettys, Solomon Islands, New Guinea, low supplies, lots of water and navigation!!

Carrier ops are interesting as is navigation over vast distances of ocean and archipelagos. But its not something for everyone, and I feel with the need to model many ships and completely new planes(we only have Spitfire V, A-20 and P-40 for now) so I'm afraid we would have to wait a long time... Also in the Pacific CAS targets were often fortifications and infantry, we would need those too.

One possibility would be large map of Luzon and maybe 1 or 2 islands South to it(I've forgot their names), as that would open opportunity for both 1941/1942 and 1944/45 scenarios as well as for all land-land, land-naval and naval-naval air combat.

All those boy Hartmanns, picking their nose and eying their GPS as they make their way to the nearest enemy airfield on Wings of Liberty...  Just imagine the schooling they'd get if they had to do some proper navigation over open water.  :happy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aircraft wise I was never really interested in the Pacific theater but I find the naval and ground operations to be very interesting. The US Marines on Peleliu or Okinawa or the US Navy at Leyte Gulf are fascinating subject to me.

I guess the other reasons would be carrier ops would be a change of pace and that my Grandfather served in the Pacific in the Navy.

Carrier Ops is why.  "Three of the best things are a good landing, a good sh*t and a good orgasm. In a night carrier landing you can have all three"

• Haha 1

Zeke vs Wildcat, the unique and interesting dynamics that exist between the aircraft - so different from anything else.

Cactus Air Force, the satisfaction of landing on a carrier after completing/surviving a mission.

The Corsair, Dauntless, the Rufe....did I mentionTHE ZEKE.

All of it.

1 hour ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Yes for Pacific only due to Kamikatze pilots, who will left the eastern front and will go to the pacific. :))

In my opinion Pacific has nothing to bring to me. Dont like both the US and Japan planes... Only carriers are interesting, but only 5 minutes. Then run quickly to the white eastern fronts where Yaks and Bfs are crossing the sky.

Then go fly on your eastern (yawn) front and put a sock in it. :)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Zeke vs Wildcat, the unique and interesting dynamics that exist between the aircraft - so different from anything else.

Cactus Air Force, the satisfaction of landing on a carrier after completing/surviving a mission.

The Corsair, Dauntless, the Rufe....did I mentionTHE ZEKE.

All of it.

Then go fly on your eastern (yawn) front and put a sock in it. :)

Maybe I should put a sock on it to protect myself from the AIDS that is the PTO.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NahkaSukka said:

Carrier ops, naval warfare, japanese and american aircraft. Instead of another set of german plane variants im really looking forward to new japanese and american planes.

This.:salute:

As I see some people are for the Pacific because it's so different from what we have now in BoX, while other people are hostile or neutral to it for the very same reasons: different scenery, different planeset, different gameplay. I'm with Hiromachi :)

2 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

It's simple, everything. For me its an entirely different theater, plaenset, fighting style and environment. And it's not necessairly ocean only. If you include into the broader Pacific also China-Burma theater, Philipines, New Guinea or Solomon Islands you get interesting and unique landscapes. It also means that you get a more combined combat since it's less dependant on ground pounding of static objects but also attacks on shipping. 

It's also an entirely different planeset with Wildcats, Corsairs, Zeros, Ki-61s, etc. etc. Many of this aircraft are unique and provide an experience very different to what you get either over western or eastern Europe.

Plus it has one more advantage. No 109s. Not a single one. And then in the old days of Il-2 PF you could encounter JG guys asking for inclusion of 109s/190s into planeset over New Guinea or Marianas :) Because reasons :) 

My first sim was Aces of the Pacific, and my grandfather earned 9 battle stars in the Navy fighting in that theater. I suppose it's in my blood. We had a scale R/C Hellcat model when I was a kid, with VF-27's shark mouth and little rising sun flags on the side. I have been hooked ever since. Carrier aviation is an obvious new frontier for this sim, but I am personally more interested in intercepting bombers in the slot north of Guadalcanal, or breaking into Fortress Rabaul. The set piece CV battles are interesting, but only 2 of them really had a 'balanced' outcome, Coral Sea and Santa Cruz. Other then that the Japanese were utterly defeated and that doesn't make for fun game play IMO. 

• Upvote 1