Sign in to follow this  
Dakpilot

Tank controller

Am I being a bit of a muppet?

Or is a gamepad /PS3/4/Xbox controller potentially a good idea for controlling tanks, there are a number of axis buttons etc, and the fidelity should be good enough. 

Could a dedicated settings section for Tanks/gamepad also with presets be a great feature for easy access for new players.. Or am I talking kak 😎

Will have to dig out my old PS3 controller that is configured for my PC and give it a try.. 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I vote for... ...almost that ☺️

Just the ability to choose between mouse, keyboard, flight system... I've already changed the control of motor with the throttle and the rudder to turn left/right but I can't use my joystick to move the canon 😪. And why not, gamepad too (ideally, also with the VR controllers).

• Like 1

I quite fancy the idea of using my pedal, wheel and shifter for driving, if we get things like full control of the gearbox ect. 

Good idea..  hooking up my xbox controller to my pc to give it a try..  indeed easier when I'm wearing my rift.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, Dakpilot said:

Am I being a bit of a muppet?

Or is a gamepad /PS3/4/Xbox controller potentially a good idea for controlling tanks, there are a number of axis buttons etc, and the fidelity should be good enough. 

Could a dedicated settings section for Tanks/gamepad also with presets be a great feature for easy access for new players.. Or am I talking kak 😎

Will have to dig out my old PS3 controller that is configured for my PC and give it a try.. 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

I never thought about it but that’s a great idea.  Tank Crew will surely never have room scale, but an Xbox controller is actually a great VR device for operating tanks.  Keyboard and mouse is nearly impossible.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:31 PM, OldRavenNL said:

Good idea..  hooking up my xbox controller to my pc to give it a try..  indeed easier when I'm wearing my rift.

Wait... does this already work?

17 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I never thought about it but that’s a great idea.  Tank Crew will surely never have room scale, but an Xbox controller is actually a great VR device for operating tanks.  Keyboard and mouse is nearly impossible.

Wait... does this already work?

yes, if you have an xbox one for example..  you can connect that controller with a usb cable to your pc.

Also works with ps4 controller

Edited by OldRavenNL

On 7/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, BlueMind said:

I vote for... ...almost that ☺️

Just the ability to choose between mouse, keyboard, flight system... I've already changed the control of motor with the throttle and the rudder to turn left/right but I can't use my joystick to move the canon 😪. And why not, gamepad too (ideally, also with the VR controllers).

Same thing here! Just waiting to be able to control the turret  (aiming) with the joystick ( without external mapping programs). Thanks

On 7/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, WIS-Redcoat said:

But does this game see the controller and allow mapping?

Yes, I'm using a controller to fly for ages now and given the fact that the tanks keys are merged within the planes ones you should be able to do it.

My G13 works great I would not know how to use a console game pad controller

my boys grew up with that we did not.

Since this picture I have added Gun range and the machine gun range and and tank crew positions.

So easy to program that is what I like.

G13.png

i use a xbox360 controller for tanks with the xpadder software and it works great for vr

I use an older Saitek joy pad with duel mini joysticks to control my tank. Left hand joystick is foe turning , the right forward and reverse. I'm going to experiment to see if I can get one set up to turn and aim the turret. Right now I use the mouse for that.

if you use xpadder or a similar type of software you can use one sticks axis as the mouse inputs and key strokes or mouse clicks to the other buttons.

Edited by [TWB]kmac31

Just posted an X56 HOTAS profile in "thenorms" thread if you're looking for one...

for me Hotas for forward and reverse, so you can dose the power and move in slow motion ;)...and my rudder pedals for left / Right, to be able to turn more or less...and it leaves a free hand for the gun management:good:...Just perfect for me...;)

• Upvote 2

I will use xbox controller with vr, tank dont need so much buttons for use, so can play tank game even in bed, heh.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Macross said:

I will use xbox controller with vr, tank dont need so much buttons for use, so can play tank game even in bed, heh.

I would also, but they don’t allow Xbox controller organically.  At least I couldn’t get it to work