Sign in to follow this  
1/SG2_Hummels

Control tanks from "Clash at Prokhorovka"

Control tanks from "Clash at Prokhorovka"  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a need for manual gear shifting for tanks "Clash at Prokhorovka" set?

Posted (edited)

I would like to know the opinion of the players about the more detailed management of tanks from "Clash at Prokhorovka".

From the perspective of the driver, the control of the tank is carried out with only 4 keys and it is possible to open/close the hatch, and all... Don't you think that's not enough for a tank simulator? Need a more diverse and complex gameplay in this position

The game is sufficiently modeled and animated gear shifting on tanks, given a description of the permissible speeds in each gear, but all the controls, all the player's participation is minimized. It is as if in the flight simulator at the level of complexity of the "expert" screw pitch, superchargers, mixture, etc.switched by themselves, automatically, giving the player a minimal role, depriving him of the very thing that immerses in the simulation of the combat vehicle.
What do you think?

Edited by 1/SG2_Hummels

Bah. I'm an idiot.  :blink:  Clicked on the wrong response. An option for manual gear changing would be fine by me.

Cheers.

One more button to push. 😐

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thad said:

One more button to push. 😐

Really? OK. lets say that it was a figure of speech (as you need 3 up+down+clutch)
The gear determine how tanks with differential steering were able to turn. So a Panther going on 5th gear will be able to turn at 43m radius, while on 1st gear at 5m radius and at Neutral it will do neutral steering on the spot.

So, while you say one button to push I would add it is an important one.

Edited by Fliegel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, there is a need. 

Otherwise it makes Tank Crew seem like a gimmick, if all the driver can do is mash WASD and occasionally open or close the hatches.

I’m sceptical of Tank Crew anyway, driving around an empty field with no infantry and few supporting vehicles, hunting a handful of opposing tanks.

It already feels like bolting some drivable ground vehicles on to a flight simulator, but if the driving part itself is lacking then I can’t see there being much to hold interest once the novelty wears off. 

Making the engines work properly would go a way to ameliorating this. 

Edited by Royal_Flight

Keep in mind they are limited by resources, and Jason has said about this exact topic that it won’t happen. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, angus26 said:

Keep in mind they are limited by resources, and Jason has said about this exact topic that it won’t happen. 

Well if it was expected feature to come then the poll (and all polls) would be pointless, wouldn't be?

Limited resources are of course understandable. But hopefully the The Tank Crew would be successful and developed further and have to set next priorities. So that is what is this poll for in my opinion.

PS:
I also wonder why people voted "no need" and love to hear their reason.
I suspect that If planes have only automatic flaps+rudder I guess the poll about ability to control them manually would be more one sided.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

For the sake of understanding I will offer my reason for voting "no need":

Most of the people I play Il-2 with in real life would never bother to learn the sim (planes or tanks) on full real settings. We play Il-2 because of the quality of the modelling and the feel of the simulation, especially the graphics and the way that tactical combat is facilitated in this sim. The tank game for us is about accessibility - It gives non-flyers a significant combat role and makes our games more widely inclusive...

...and once we have them addicted to Great Battles, then we make them fly! Muahahahah!!!

If I wasn't aware of issues relating to dev capacity I might have voted yes; in good will and solidarity for the people for want manual shift.

I hope you get your manual shift, but I have high hopes for so much other content too.

Edited by Johnny-Red
typo :p
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1