Sign in to follow this  
Pb_Cybermat47

The Paleontology Thread

I know little about paleontology, but one thing that stuck in my head is the idea that whales descended from a very large land predator with alligator-like jaws and hooves.  Andrewsarchus, I think.  But it seems that they deduced the details from a partial skull.  How can a skull allow one to infer hooves with a reasonable degree of reliability?

35 minutes ago, Vig said:

I know little about paleontology, but one thing that stuck in my head is the idea that whales descended from a very large land predator with alligator-like jaws and hooves.  Andrewsarchus, I think.  But it seems that they deduced the details from a partial skull.  How can a skull allow one to infer hooves with a reasonable degree of reliability?

I was always under the impression (from one show back in my teens) that sheep, cows, goats, hippos and Whales (the list goes on) have a common ancestor and that link relates to the remnant of a pelvis (?) that still exists as a redundant bone in whales today.  So I guess its a case of going backward and forward along those varuous evolutionary lines. 

As for the teeth - hmm - I guess everything has something with lots of teeth and a bad attitude somewhere in is family closet. My uncle Stan for instance (although in fairness I don't think the teeth he had were actually his own)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vig said:

A skull is not enough by itself, but molecular/genetic evidence support this line of descendance. 
Regarding the whale, I'll just repost this, because I think it explains it really well (sorry Gambit!)

Edited by Leaf
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2018 at 4:19 PM, Leaf said:

I'd love to live in an area where such finds can be made, or where the geology is at least somewhat interesting. The endless sedimentary sequences in SE England can get dull extremely quickly.

I'm lucky enough to live here;

IMG_2759.jpg

on the western end of the Jurassic coast:dance:.  As an added bonus, my middle son graduated from Sussex last month so I no longer have to do the nine hour freakin' round trip to bloody awful Brighton in the car! :P

Whilst I would imagine the whole of the south-west peninsular is geologically fascinating, having a world heritage site on your doorstep is very nice indeed.  At the eastern end we have Studland Bay - Lulworth Cove - Durdle Door

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Then we can by-pass Weymouth:cool: and carry on for a stroll along the beach at West Bexington

IMG_3662.jpg

Before arriving at Charmouth and Lyme Regis for some fossil action!

IMG_0898.jpg

To be continued......

• Like 1

You are indeed a lucky fellow.  I have my eyes on that part of the country in case I need to run from rapacious relatives.  

Nice snaps BTW.  I am sure you must have taken them since Goggle thinks the last one is of the Dead Sea!

Edited by unreasonable

7 hours ago, FFS_Cybermat47 said:

Cheers, looks great! Downloaded the demo, but it seems they haven't added the Dinosaurs in just yet.

Nah, they're in there. You just need to build an Animal Nursery. 

463150945_PrehistoricKingdom2018-07-2815-26-03-46.thumb.jpg.12ca33c55ffe23ac8ba5ad0caed3da51.jpg