kendo

CH problems after Win 10 1803 update

After delaying for as long as I could, Win 10 1803 was finally forced on my system two days ago.

All seemed well initially and I was able to play the new il-2 version yesterday with no problems.

Today I get a Windows message saying that  CH Control Manager Root Device, CH Combatstick and CH ProThrottle have driver issues.

As of now they are all non-functional. Have tried to update driver software in Device Manager, but doesn't work.

Anyone have similar problems or a solution to this?

Thanks

Thanks for the link, but I have already seen that thread.

None of the simple tweaks listed there worked, and for now at least i don't want to try joytokey or similar - prefer to try solving the root issue here if I can - which basically is that Windows is saying the drivers have problems. In Device Manager:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}
%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x

Have tried to update driver using the option in Device Manager but doesn't work.

What I don't understand is how/why it worked yesterday, then today is listed as errors???!!

Edited by kendo

Go to a previous version of windows 10, recovery setting can help you, and turn off windows 10 update. That the solution i've choosen.

Since that issues have appears some tricks have been found, one of them, i didn't try it, but i hope that's help you.

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8218-ch-and-win-10/&do=findComment&comment=54672

Edited by Gerd_le_bourrin

Unfortunately I can't go back to previous version of Win 10 - when I saw yesterday that everything seemed to be working ok, i deleted the previous version files as they were taking up ~30GB of space. All seemed ok at that point....

And unfortunately the other option in the link doesn't work either.

Does anyone know: If i uninstall Control Manager and Combatstick and Throttle, then plug CombatStick and Throttle back in to USB port, will Windows run them using some kind of default Windows driver? I know I will have to remap everything in BOX, and i will lose calibration capability in Control Manager. But will that at least get me functioning inputs again?

Yippee!!! Found the solution. Unexpected and surprising but posting it here just in case anyone else faces similar issue.

It was caused by a new setting in Windows Defender Security Centre.

It is Windows Defender Security Centre > Device Security > Core Isolation > Memory Integrity checkbox. It was unchecked by default when Win 10 1803 first installed. That's when I tried out BOX and all the CH controllers were working.

Later, I was investigating the various new options and checked the tick-box for the Memory Integrity option. Didn't notice until I tried today that it had the effect of 'breaking' my CH controllers. Upon unchecking the option and rebooting everything is back to normal. Had to re-calibrate controls in CH Manager, but everything is now working fine.

Probably my PC is a little less secure, but I have good AV so will have to live with that.  

Edited by kendo

Well i've encountered some issues with my CH Combatstick, it's hard to describe it in english for me, but it's like a "shaking" stick. When i move the stick straight in a direction (not quickly most of the time), the sensors detect some shaking movement ...
And sometime, when i flight in a straight line, well trimmed, the sensors detect a left rolling input but the stick is centered.

A video of the CH Control Manager:

Posted (edited)

Open (if are not in warranty) joystick base and with pliers press the tabs that fit wires over potentiometer pins.

This "spyke" issue is relatively common in CH - even in new units, because wires are not welded in pot' pins.

If is a long time used stick, can clean potentiometer resistive trails, by spray then inside with contact cleanup spray.

Are a script filter for Manager that promise minimize this "spykes" in axis response... but use a software for fix a hardware issue is a kind of "Boeing MCAS".  😀

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1