SharpeXB

VR Fever Is Cooling

2 hours ago, BM357_TinMan said:

I imagine that I am not alone in this respect and, eventually, more people will, eventually, adopt it.  Especially for FPS, flight sims and any of the multiple driving sims/first person racing games.

You aren’t. Nowadays such an upgrade is a very big commitment time wise and money wise. Not to mention the technology is still taking its first steps. 

2 hours ago, BM357_TinMan said:

Personally, as far as VR is concerned, I really want to try it and adopt it but I am in the "I have to wait" camp

I have to wait because, I need to do a massive upgrade on my system before diving into the VR scene and I want to wait a bit because I'd like to see the hardware and software technology advance a bit before I dive in.

I imagine that I am not alone in this respect and, eventually, more people will, eventually, adopt it.  Especially for FPS, flight sims and any of the multiple driving sims/first person racing games.

That is smart move.

I have already decided and have funds to do a new build myself this year, but going to wait till maybe closer to end of year and see what is out there. December will be 5 years since I built this rig I have now.

On my current rig whilst I would like to get better, I am still getting very acceptable performance and a very smooth experience in VR.

i think the future of virtual reality is by controlling dreams

in the first comic episode of valerian and valery theres a society that remains all time sleeping in controlled dreams till someone hacks them with nightmares

yesterday i had a lucid dream, i still recall how amazingly realistic it was all, as real as reality but different, it was one of the most mind blowing experiences ive ever had

I don´t think VR in general is cooling. Like every new tech there is an hype-peak and fluctuations.

The VR adoption rate for IL-2 is pretty steady and going up month after month:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27278-about-vr-and-vr-devices-used/?do=findComment&comment=618511

Many people want VR, but they are still waiting for better resolution and FOV.

Another clear indicator of VR consolidation is that the new Turing GTX11xx series is that they will be equipped with the new VirtualLink USB Type-C connector especially designed for VR headsets:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3036808/nvidias-gtx-1180-gpu-will-launch-ahead-of-gamescom-on-20-august

But the definite proof is the Steam survey:  https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey  (Click in VR Headsets in bottom)

Five months ago it was:

Oculus Rift 0.14% + HTC Vive 0.13% + Oculus Rift DK2 0.01% = 0.28% 

now it is:

Oculus Rift 0.30% + HTC Vive 0.29% + WMR 0.04% + HTC VivePro 0.01% + Oculus Rift DK2 0.01% = 0.65% 

So doubling the share in five months is not "cooling".

I know I won't play the game without it. Closest thing to being a real life WW2 fighter pilot you can get. It's only going to get better. I'm happy with current resolution, I'd just like larger FOV. Ideally though, foveated rendering will solve it all and we'll get massive upgrades to both resolution AND FOV.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:10 AM, dburne said:

That is smart move.

I have already decided and have funds to do a new build myself this year, but going to wait till maybe closer to end of year and see what is out there. December will be 5 years since I built this rig I have now.

On my current rig whilst I would like to get better, I am still getting very acceptable performance and a very smooth experience in VR.

You should wait as long as possible Dburne. I think your computer is fine and until theres a system that can play our favorite sims at 90 fps solid I think you'd end up kicking yourself (or upgrading again very quickly), as I have a hunch the next gen of GPU's wont quite get us there (constant 90) but have high hopes for the TI after that.

I hope to wait as long as I can physically contain myself! My philosopy nowdays is wait for the TI as it always blows the predecessor out of the water as in the case of the 1080 and 1080 TI.

I think CPU upgrades are not going to make as much a difference as people believe, as that comes down to the game itself (need vulcan or something), the CPU I have is very powerful just massively under utilized. At least IME flying with reprojection overclocking the CPU, is pretty difficult to discern any benefits. I think if you asked someone to tell them which was the stock and which the 5 ghz experience they would have difficulty.

27 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

You should wait as long as possible Dburne. I think your computer is fine and until theres a system that can play our favorite sims at 90 fps solid I think you'd end up kicking yourself (or upgrading again very quickly), as I have a hunch the next gen of GPU's wont quite get us there (constant 90) but have high hopes for the TI after that.

I hope to wait as long as I can physically contain myself! My philosopy nowdays is wait for the TI as it always blows the predecessor out of the water as in the case of the 1080 and 1080 TI.

I think CPU upgrades are not going to make as much a difference as people believe, as that comes down to the game itself (need vulcan or something), the CPU I have is very powerful just massively under utilized. At least IME flying with reprojection overclocking the CPU, is pretty difficult to discern any benefits. I think if you asked someone to tell them which was the stock and which the 5 ghz experience they would have difficulty.

Have just about decided on a compete new 9700k build later in the year.

Btw, it is looking like the 2080 Ti with VirtualPort VR connector is coming very soon. If that happens I will grab one of them.

Nvidia implementing these new VR connectors so soon, is a very good sign for VR. And raises my hopes of a next Gen Oculus product sooner rather than later.

Edited by dburne

I read somewhere that better resolution VR is coming, Flying Circus might make me come over and if resolution gets better I am all for it. Personally I never really got the taste on VR . Had it home two times. Felt like my brain could not connect with my eyes properly

On 7/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, BM357_TinMan said:

You are definitely not. I ended up returning my Rift.

I just did not enjoy it. Sure, seeing a lifesize cockpit was cool, but the low resolution, poor perfomance, inability to interact with cockpit controls (meaning constantly having to lift the goggles to find a specific key) and glaring screendoor effect simply outweighed any positives, for me personally. It was like a breath of fresh air when I finally went back to a monitor and TIR.

If they start coming out with 4k+ displays I might think about getting another. I dunno. I don't really miss it, tbh. 

58 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I read somewhere that better resolution VR is coming, Flying Circus might make me come over and if resolution gets better I am all for it. Personally I never really got the taste on VR . Had it home two times. Felt like my brain could not connect with my eyes properly

Something was likely  amiss in adjustments or setup.

Better resolution is coming. Better tech is coming. Just look at the launch of the new 2080 series cards today, with dedicated VirtualLink ports for VR.

The next couple of years will be very exciting for the VR end of the industry.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Something was likely  amiss in adjustments or setup.

Yes I suspect a couple of 3 days borrow do not give time for adjustments. Both mentally and hardware. Second time I contacted Oculus Rift and they told me they suspected , or was pretty sure I was victim of own lack of knowledge. I guess first time I was expecting too much and second time I tried to redeem my impression from first time. 

More food for thought:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/26/this-vr-cycle-is-dead/

“It feels like the second-wave bubble of VR is about to burst.

The technology is incredibly exciting, and it has the potential to be huge one day. Unfortunately neither the hardware nor the software is ready for that yet.

The big players who have the tech that could make a difference don’t see the demographics on VR yet, and the people won’t buy it without the killer apps.

It’s like Nintendo made a cool new console with an innovative new hardware feature; but they sacked Miyamoto and their software department and forgot to make any games.”

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Your linking an article that is over a year old...

Guess VR must have already died and I missed it.

;)

In the meantime since we have had the Vive Pro ( Vive 1.5), WMR headsets, Oculus Go released, and Oculus Santa Cruz in firm development along with Oculus Half Dome Prototype for next gen PC-VR along with gloves with haptic feedback being developed. Also the Pimax 5K and 8k Kickstarter along with units being sent out for testing and close to production.

In addition the new Virtual Link C-Ports I mentioned a few posts above now being included in the new 2080 series of GPU's.

Edited by dburne

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Your linking an article that is over a year old...

Guess VR must have already died and I missed it.

;)

In the meantime since we have had the Vive Pro ( Vive 1.5), WMR headsets, Oculus Go released, and Oculus Santa Cruz in firm development along with Oculus Half Dome Prototype for next gen PC-VR along with gloves with haptic feedback being developed. Also the Pimax 5K and 8k Kickstarter along with units being sent out for testing and close to production.

In addition the new Virtual Link C-Ports I mentioned a few posts above now being included in the new 2080 series of GPU's.

Everything I read about VR says basically the same thing. Yes there’s all that new hardware but where are the apps? Where’s the Battlefield V for VR?

At my company we actually use the Oculus and VR, I see the business uses for that to be really great. But gaming? That remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Everything I read about VR says basically the same thing. Yes there’s all that new hardware but where are the apps? Where’s the Battlefield V for VR?

I think that as the technology becomes more refined, cheaper to make and buy, and more people have it, then more developers will start having VR support for their games.

If one person out of fifty has VR, there’s not much incentive for most developers to have VR support - especially not the massive AAA developers who are going to make hundreds of millions in profit anyway.

If thirty out of fifty have VR, on the other hand, then I think that a lot more games are going to have VR support.

• Upvote 1

It’s a whole chicken and egg dillema. And it’s not just being compatable with VR. It likely means designing the whole game around VR. Many of the top selling games are fast action shooters that won’t play well in VR. No matter how good the hardware gets there’s always the sickness factor. It’s interesting someone said Minecraft in VR made them sick. 

The graohic demands too will always remain just out of reach for 3D as games are designed to push the limits of 2D displays. It’s a moving target. 

These articles refer to the current state of VR as a “second” generation because it’s been tried before and failed. So will the “third” generation finally succeed or will it all go bust?

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s a whole chicken and egg dillema. And it’s not just being compatable with VR. It likely means designing the whole game around VR. Many of the top selling games are fast action shooters that won’t play well in VR. No matter how good the hardware gets there’s always the sickness factor. It’s interesting someone said Minecraft in VR made them sick. 

The graohic demands too will always remain just out of reach for 3D as games are designed to push the limits of 2D displays. It’s a moving target. 

These articles refer to the current state of VR as a “second” generation because it’s been tried before and failed. So will the “third” generation finally succeed or will it all go bust?

VR is here to stay imho, at least that seems fairly obvious at this point. More companies getting into it, heck I am starting to see headsets more and more in TV commercials now.

Fast Action Shooter - check out Onward - it is a hugely popular VR game that has quite a following. Three have been many shooter games developed for VR that do pretty well.

The technology is moving fairly quick (though not as quick as some might like), with the emerging tech like foveated rendering, eye tracking, varifocal lenses , hand/finger tracking. Most of which will only improve on the performance of VR.

They are building the ecosystem currently,  the consortium's new Virtual Link C-Ports on video cards is a good example. The games will continue to come, and some day probably in the not too distant future the large mega AAA game developers will be developing for VR as well. It is just a matter of time. Sit back and enjoy watching the ride.

In any event, all this stuff you can read for yourself with a little checking. I would say the future looks very bright for VR.  Oculus Connect is this Wed and Thurs, should be some neat stuff shared there IF you are interested in the actual progress of VR. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

This is what we get to do with it at my company, pretty amazing. It certainly has a future here.  

Edited by SharpeXB