klebor

FW190A-8 Erhöhte Notleistung - Boost - how does it work

Hi,

i have read in game "Aircraft Flight and Technical Specifications and Operational Details" and i know Erhöhte Notleistung overrides boost pressure limitations over 1.42 ATA (up to 1.58 with lower supercharger gear and up to 1.65 with higher supercharger gear).

Limit for Erhöhte Notleistung is 10 minutes at once (due to thermal reasons according to: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190a8.html)

It is not the C3 injection like in case of FW190F-3.

So why there is 3 minutes limit for lower 1.42 ATA but 10 minutes for higher 1.58/1.65 ATA? Was there some additional cooling device or something else?

Edited by sereme1

Yep, the C3 Injection basically injects C3 Fuel at very low Pressure into the hot intake air, just to cool it. It's running extremely rich at 1.58 ata, and you can just imagine the Soot Buildup on everything that must cause, so 10 Minutes at a time means you will already start losing Spark and Compression in Hot Weather, and ruin your Oil. 

So the Break is most likely just for cleaning the Engine a little. 

Does it mean Erhöhte Notleistung in FW190A-8 is a C3 injection, are you sure?

FW190A-5/U17 has C3 injection and 1.65 ATA for 10 minutes with C3 injection but it doesn't work over 1000 meters.

I thought in A8 it is just a boost pressure override, not additional C3 injection.

Thanks for the answer.

Edited by sereme1

38 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

Hi,

i have read in game "Aircraft Flight and Technical Specifications and Operational Details" and i know Erhöhte Notleistung overrides boost pressure limitations over 1.42 ATA (up to 1.58 with lower supercharger gear and up to 1.65 with higher supercharger gear).

Limit for Erhöhte Notleistung is 10 minutes at once (due to thermal reasons according to: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190a8.html)

It is not the C3 injection like in case of FW190F-3.

So why there is 3 minutes limit for lower 1.42 ATA but 10 minutes for higher 1.58/1.65 ATA? Was there some additional cooling device or something else?

The A-3 still had the old engine installation with cooling slits. These caused especially the rear set of cylinder banks to overheat and was replaced with a set of three cooling flaps per side in the A-4.

This allowed for the engine to reach design boost for longer periods of time as the engine could now be adequately cooled.

Now, the increased emergency power boost is an additional system injecting fuel directly into the supercharger impeller and cooling the charge air down due to evaporative cooling. In principle, it's the same thing as MW-50, just not as effective and used in a different place.

In effect, as has already been posted, it causes to run the engine even richer than it already does in combat mode, and that is probably going to cause problems if the soot building up cannot be burned off after a while.

12 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

Does it mean Erhöhte Notleistung in FW190A-8 is a C3 injection, are you sure?

FW190A-5/U17 has C3 injection and 1.65 ATA for 10 minutes with C3 injection but it doesn't work over 1000 meters.

I thought in A8 it is just a boost pressure override, not additional C3 injection.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, because the supercharger cannot sustain the boost in low gear. Around 2 km the high gear kicks in and MAP reaches 1.65 ATA.

Edited by PainGod85

1.58/1.65ata used on A-8 is not achieved byC3 injection but by tricking the throttle to open more.
From the translated handbook Part 7 http://lexpev.nl/downloads/fw190a8.pdf

The increased power is gained by bleeding air from the supercharger pressure line, in which are located two nozzles connected in series. A flexible tube, through which a portion of the boost air can be drawn off when the valve is opened, is connected into the supercharger air line between the fuel mixture chamber and the boost pressure regulator. The two nozzles, the first of which has the smaller inside diameter, are so constructed, that when the actuation valve is opened, the air pressure within the boost pressure drops to a very low level; this causes the throttle valve to open wide, thereby increasing the maximum obtainable boost pressure, at 2700 RPM, from 1,42 ata, to 1,58 ata at the low supercharger setting, and to 1,65 ata at the high supercharger setting. The higher boost pressure results in increased fuel consumption, due to greater quantity of fuel injected into the cylinders.

And in Part 6

A newer method of increasing the emergency speed of the fighter has been to insert a pilot operated stop c o ck in the pressure line of the boost regulator. The result is that, at 2700 rpm, the boost pressure, at low setting can be increased to about 1,58 ata [22.4 psi], and at high setting, to about 1,64 ata [23.3 psi]. When this system is incorporated, C-3 supplementary fuel injection is no longer necessary and is, therefore, omitted.

So really, 1.42ata shouldn't be limited to 3 minutes.

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Thanks 2

The Fw 190 A-8 and A-9 received a different system than the Schlachtflieger and Fighter-Bomber Fw 190s. Those get the C3 injection (dubbed "Ausreißhilfe") while the fighters did not run on C3 injection but had their boost levels upped to 1.58ata in 1st supercharger gear and 1.65ata in 2nd gear. And that was achieved through refinements of the BMW 801.

Thanks for the answer!

One more thing, a practical one:

Does using Erhöhte Notleistung on i.e. 1.5km - when it doesn't increase ATA over 1.42 - still increases the limit to 10 minutes?

3 minutes ago, csThor said:

The Fw 190 A-8 and A-9 received a different system than the Schlachtflieger and Fighter-Bomber Fw 190s. Those get the C3 injection (dubbed "Ausreißhilfe") while the fighters did not run on C3 injection but had their boost levels upped to 1.58ata in 1st supercharger gear and 1.65ata in 2nd gear. And that was achieved through refinements of the BMW 801.

So why 1.42 ATA is still limited to 3 minutes?

A8 doesn't have C3 injection.

F3 and F8 had C3 injection.

C3 allowed to increase boost only at low alt, below 1000 meters.

Fw 190 A-8 Aircraft handbook
Part 6 - Powerplant
Page 01

A number of fighter-bombers equipped with the BMW 801D are outfitted with a C-3 (96-octane) supplementary fuel injection system. This system provides short term increases in the emergency top speed at altitudes below 1000 m (3280 ft). For more details on this system see Part 7 "Engine operation and fuel supply system".

A newer method of increasing the emergency speed of the fighter has been to insert a pilot operated stop xxxx in the pressure line of the boost regulator. The result is that, at 2700 rpm, the boost pressure, at low setting can be increased to about 1,58 ata [22.4 psi], and at high setting, to about 1,64 ata [23.3 psi]. When this system is incorporated, C-3 supplementary fuel injection is no longer necessary and is, therefore, omitted.

I'm sure the devs performed detailed research modeling the plane.

Are you sure 1.42 ATA is limited to 3 minutes in A8? I didn't see plane maunal in the game.

Edited by kramer

Can someone translate the document? It seems that Erhöhte Notleistung modification should also be available to F-8.

C3C67D6D-826B-4344-8E32-5CEFDFE6EFC2.thumb.png.51c03d6a263a3b3e932fc9447eff2bd1.png

4 hours ago, s9723 said:

Can someone translate the document? It seems that Erhöhte Notleistung modification should also be available to F-8.

C3C67D6D-826B-4344-8E32-5CEFDFE6EFC2.thumb.png.51c03d6a263a3b3e932fc9447eff2bd1.png

You're correct. They used the same engine as the Fw 190s used a so-called 'Kraftei' installation, where one engine could be replaced in its entirety, including cowling and radiators, in the field.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-332-3096-12,_Russ

Note the gun troughs and cooling fan.

That is also my doubt. the A8 specifications in the game speak in 3minutes @ 1.42 ATA. this should be when the boost is not turned on (10 minutes). But how does the engine cool when the boost is on?

57 minutes ago, 3./JG15_Kampf said:

That is also my doubt. the A8 specifications in the game speak in 3minutes @ 1.42 ATA. this should be when the boost is not turned on (10 minutes). But how does the engine cool when the boost is on?

From what I can see, the engine had apparently been refined to such a degree it could cope with increased boost for ten minutes at a time, so there is no reason at all for it to kick the bucket after just three minutes at combat boost / 1.42 ATA.

It's like saying the "5 minutes at +25 lb for a 150 octane Merlin" limitation doesn't change the "5 minutes at +18 lb" time limit even if 150 octane fuel is used.

How does the 10 minute time limit for boost work? As in, can I only run the boost, say,  5 times for  2 mins? Or, having let the engine cool, can I run it for another 10 minutes at boost? If so, how many times can this be repeated?

7 minutes ago, Leaf said:

How does the 10 minute time limit for boost work? As in, can I only run the boost, say,  5 times for  2 mins? Or, having let the engine cool, can I run it for another 10 minutes at boost? If so, how many times can this be repeated?

The timer recharges the moment you reduce from that power level, this is both for emergency and combat power in the techno chat.

To find out how long, well test it yourself.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:59 AM, sereme1 said:

So why 1.42 ATA is still limited to 3 minutes?

Simply because it's wrongly modelled :). 

There is in this concrete case no technical reason to have shorter limit for lower power/torque output. The limit for 3 minutes was valid for older versions without Erhöhte Notleistung. Anyway these strictly engine limitations are neither optimal nor real. In real life the limitations was moreless recommendations. The most important limit was engine temperature, not the period, during which the engine run at full throttle.

So there was no other limit than 10 minutes @ 1,58/1,65 ATA 

3 minutes was valid for early A-8 planes equippped with older "revision" of engine approximately between February and July 1944. I must also notice, that there was long development of BMW 801 D between 1941 and 1945, so old engines were in some aspects, especially materials, of high stressed components e.g. pistons or valves, diferent than new ones. But as I mentioned, these limits were more recommendations (because of long durability of engine) than needs. In real life it was normally exceeded :).

Edited by 1stCL/Fucida

6 hours ago, 1stCL/Fucida said:

Simply because it's wrongly modelled :). 

There is in this concrete case no technical reason to have shorter limit for lower power/torque output. The limit for 3 minutes was valid for older versions without Erhöhte Notleistung. Anyway these strictly engine limitations are neither optimal nor real. In real life the limitations was moreless recommendations. The most important limit was engine temperature, not the period, during which the engine run at full throttle.

So there was no other limit than 10 minutes @ 1,58/1,65 ATA 

3 minutes was valid for early A-8 planes equippped with older "revision" of engine approximately between February and July 1944. I must also notice, that there was long development of BMW 801 D between 1941 and 1945, so old engines were in some aspects, especially materials, of high stressed components e.g. pistons or valves, diferent than new ones. But as I mentioned, these limits were more recommendations (because of long durability of engine) than needs. In real life it was normally exceeded :).

So i just do like that: right after the engine start i pull Erhöhte Notleistung and i don't touch it any more, and i just use my throttle like normal. This way i simply have far more durable engine. I can 1.65 ATA for at least 10 minutes and, i guess, 1.4 -1.45 ATA more than 15 minutes. I risk engine damage only when Erhöhte Notleistung is not activated.

Yes 😐

But I'll try to discuss this senseless situation and place arguments with our partners from development team. I hope, that it will be fixed soon.

Edited by 1stCL/Fucida

1 hour ago, 1stCL/Fucida said:

Yes 😐

But I'll try to discuss this senseless situation and place arguments with our partners from development team. I hope, that it will be fixed soon.

Maybe this helps with the discussion. From Manrho, Puetz Bodenplatte page 90:

Unbenannt1.jpg

Vielen Dank, aber... :)

This concrete plane was not equipped with Erhöhte Notleistung. I have that book in my library and I was a little surprised, that during Bodenplatte operation there was in service still some planes without EN. That revision is from spring 1944.

Edited by 1stCL/Fucida
translation :)

On 7/23/2018 at 9:16 AM, sereme1 said:

So i just do like that: right after the engine start i pull Erhöhte Notleistung and i don't touch it any more, and i just use my throttle like normal. This way i simply have far more durable engine. I can 1.65 ATA for at least 10 minutes and, i guess, 1.4 -1.45 ATA more than 15 minutes. I risk engine damage only when Erhöhte Notleistung is not activated.

I was wrong. It doesn't work like that.

I performed few tests to find out for sure, this are results:

Stalingrad, Summer, Clear weather, No wind, 3000m, Cowlings fully open in A5 and A8:

• Temperatures:

A3: Mission start with 60°C, During the flight with 1.4 ATA we have 57°C, after idle power shallow dive we have 45°C

A5: Mission start with 60°C, During the flight with 1.4 ATA we have 57°C, after idle power shallow dive we have 45°C

A8: Mission start with 70°C, During the flight with 1.4 ATA we have 69°C, after idle power shallow dive we have 55°C

- Temperatures for A8 are higher in every circumstances than for A3 and A5, it may be realistic, i don't know, but it is for sure ~10°C higher in A8.

• Time needed to damage the engine (1.4ATA is allow for 3 minutes by manual, 1.65 for 10 minutes):

A3, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPM: 5,2min, 5,5min, 7,2min. Average 5,9min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

A5, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPM: 5,6min, 5,9min, 5,7min. Average 5,7min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

A8, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPMErhöhte Notleistung not engaged : 7,8min, 6,3min, 6,7min. Average 6,9min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

A8, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPMErhöhte Notleistung engaged : 7,9min, 6,3min, 6,9min. Average 6,9min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

A8, three tests with 1.65ATA/2700RPMErhöhte Notleistung engaged : 11,9min, 11,2min, 11,1min. Average 11,4min with 1.65ATA to damage the engine

- Time needed to damage the engine in FW190A-8 with 1.4ATA is about 1 minute longer than in case of A3 and A5.

- You will damage the engine with 1.4ATA equally fast with or without Erhöhte Notleistung engaged. (pulling the knob without fully forward throttle doesn't activate Erhöhte Notleistung)

- The engine will last longer with 1.65ATA than with 1.4ATA with Erhöhte Notleistung engaged. (pulling the knob without fully forward throttle doesn't activate Erhöhte Notleistung)

It may be just realistic. I don't know. People are arguing how exactly Erhöhte Notleistung works.

Edited by sereme1
  • Like 1

Thanks for those tests, i made some too long time ago and no time anymore

By 1.4 ata you mean 1.42 ata right ?

Or you runned engines with throttle 97-98% ?

I suggest to try at low alt with first supercharger which goes up to 1.58 ata max as well

Edited by 64sTomio_VR

33 minutes ago, 64sTomio_VR said:

By 1.4 ata you mean 1.42 ata right ?

Or you runned engines with throttle 97-98% ?

Throttle full forward. Looks like at this altitude in this circumstances BMW801 can produce 1.405 ATA. Full forward position anyway.

33 minutes ago, 64sTomio_VR said:

I suggest to try at low alt with first supercharger which goes up to 1.58 ata max as well

I'll test that today.

Edited by sereme1

@sereme1: Erhöhte Notleistung was technically very simple system in complicated enviroment of Kommandogerät (controlling unit of BMW 801). With Kommandogerät did not exist any easy way, how to set higher intake pressure than well known value 1,42 ATA. It's caused by the governor, which was there to maintain stable intake pressure, but which was calibrated and wasn't able to "deliver" more than mentioned 1,42 ATA. So the solution was, that into one rail in regulation part of Kommandogerät was created drain vent (you're activating it directly by the handle in cockpit). After activation the pressure inside the rail goes down a little bit and after that the automatic governor is opening the throttle a little bit wider to compensate this lowered pressure. 

The result was, that the real intake pressure was higher (1,58/1,65), but the pressure in regulatory part stood on the original value 1,42 ATA. It's so-called "Fooling of the governor". After that engine delivered more than 2000 PS, but it was necessary to upgrade engine itself (if I remember: stronger pistons, vents from different material, spark plugs).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, sereme1 said:

A8, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPMErhöhte Notleistung not engaged : 7,8min, 6,3min, 6,7min. Average 6,9min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

A8, three tests with 1.4ATA/2700RPMErhöhte Notleistung engaged : 7,9min, 6,3min, 6,9min. Average 6,9min with 1.4ATA to damage the engine

This is very strange... Is this normal ? what is the explanation?

Strange also that the margin with 1/58ATA/2700RPM Erhöhte Notleistung engaged is so smaller than 1.42ATA/2700RPM

Edited by Arsenal53

Yes, margin for 1.42 ATA is about 90% for A3 and A5 and about 130% for 1.42 in A8, but only 10% for Erhöhte Notleistung.

And you will damage the engine faster with 1.42 ATA / 2700RPM than with 1.65 ATA / 2700RPM.

In case of Bf109G-14 with MW50 it is logical and has been explained by developers: methanol is preventing overboostion and water cools the engine so you can use it for longer period of time.

But how Erhöhte Notleistung works?

If you look at the official A-8 aircraft handbook, 1.42 ata without the emergency system engaged is still limited to 3 minutes, although I am not sure what the real reason is. I suspect that because of the way the system operates, 1.42 ata actually runs on a leaner mixture than 1.58/1.65 so there is a higher risk of pre-ignition/detonation? or it could be that BMW engineers were unduly conservative(look at part 0, page 03).

http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/fw190a8.pdf

The emergency system is described in Part 7, page 04.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

The Erhöhte Notleistung uses a high rich mixture wich cools the engine altough it's not optimal it's better than 1,41 without it. From @DerSheriff also can be found on the manual. I was too a little bit surprised about this but knowing about the mixture makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1.42 was take off power. No reason to take it out of the papers.

Also no reason to bother with the required paperwork for a completely new replacement setting, if an additional power setting can also get the trick done.

If you think that technical arguments explain time limits, you are kind of missing the point. It's mostly about legal formalities. No need to invent technical reasons in defence of the in this regard poor engine modelling we have in game. It's nonsense, always has been. I'm glad it's so extremely obvious with the A-8, as it increases the chances for a better, more complex engine stress model, which we know the devs want to do.

Edited by JtD
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

If you look at the official A-8 aircraft handbook, 1.42 ata without the emergency system engaged is still limited to 3 minutes, although I am not sure what the real reason is. I suspect that because of the way the system operates, 1.42 ata actually runs on a leaner mixture than 1.58/1.65 so there is a higher risk of pre-ignition/detonation? or it could be that BMW engineers were unduly conservative(look at part 0, page 03).

Just out of curiosity...who translated this into english? And when was it translated into english? Focke-Wulf surely didn´t publish english handbooks about top secret stuff in 1944?

1.42ata limitation would apply to early 801D2 powerplants for early A8 production - and of course it is a limitation for earlier FW190 variants we have A3 and A5.

Our A8 has the TU powerplant  - it has many modifications from 801F series development that allows the use of higher boost pressures and yes, higher cylinder head temps due to strengthened materials. Our A8 power egg (complete engine assembly) also has bigger fuel pump, oil cooler and more efficient cooling.

Although the increased fuel associated with 1.58 and 1.65ata does have an increased charge cooling effect - the cylinder head temps were still greater than those with the old 1.42ata. Still, the TU powerplant and the later TS (FW190 A9) powerplants were capable of running reliably at these higher boost pressures.

It seems as if we have here a strict interpretation of the A8 POM, so we have both limitations of earlier 801D2 (1.42ata 3 minute limitation) incorporated along with 801 TU benefit of 1.58 and 1.65ata.

I believe cylinder head temps would be the limiting factor here, but 801TU powerplant can run hotter and longer than 801D2 (F-600) "power eggs" so the 1.42ata 3 minute limit does not appear to be plausible.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

Yes, and the system is specifically installed on non-derated BMW 801D and 801 TU engines.

Keep in mind this handbook is made for all types of A-8s, not just the ones with the better engine. Plus, the 3 minute limit would apply to the BMW 801D only.

15 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Our A8 has the TU powerplant  - it has many modifications from 801F series development that allows the use of higher boost pressures and yes, higher cylinder head temps due to strengthened materials.

The BMW801D was cleared for erhöhte Notleistung and 1.58/1.65 ata, just like the TU. The relevant differences between the two models were armour thicknesses and oil cooler - the engine as such is the same in both cases. The game explicitly states BMW801D, for what it's worth.

@CUJO_1970 @PainGod85 Yes, totally agree.

Current implementation of limits is simply wrong. When there was installed BMW 801 with Erhöhte Notleistung, there wasn't any limit for lower pressures. The only limit was 10 minutes for 1,58/1,65. I must repeat again what I've written above: The engine equipped with Erhöhte Notleistung was upgraded by stronger pistons developed for BMW 801 F, different vents from magnesium and different spark plugs. That all resulted in cancelation of former limits and setting of the new one (10 minutes @ 1,58/1,65).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Just out of curiosity...who translated this into english? And when was it translated into english? Focke-Wulf surely didn´t publish english handbooks about top secret stuff in 1944?

No idea. Why dont you check the German version if you doubt its accuracy.

30 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

so the 1.42ata 3 minute limit does not appear to be plausible.

Not plausible?????

That is what the official manual says!

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JtD said:

The BMW801D was cleared for erhöhte Notleistung and 1.58/1.65 ata, just like the TU. The relevant differences between the two models were armour thicknesses and oil cooler - the engine as such is the same in both cases. The game explicitly states BMW801D, for what it's worth.

The non-derated 801D was cleared for it.

I wonder, could this mean there were two versions of that engine?

10 minutes ago, 1stCL/Fucida said:

When there was installed BMW 801 with Erhöhte Notleistung, there wasn't any limit for lower pressures. The only limit was 10 minutes for 1,58/1,65.

No, legally it didn't. German engines were required by the standard of the time to specify certain powers, such as Take off / emergency, climb / combat, max. cruise etc. You couldn't just change these specified, tested and approved power settings of an engine.

There's a reason you have terms like "Sondernotleistung", "erhöhte Notleistung", "Zusatzeinspritzung" or whatever in late war machines, because these were not legally defined terms. They were a quick way to increase performance without all the red tape required to change the approved settings. They did not replace any of the older settings and their clearances. Technically, they made them outdated, but as far as manuals go, they were just added. The game just follows its poor logic of taking the figures from the manuals as some sort of technical reference, which they are not, on the A-8 with ridiculous results.

13 minutes ago, 1stCL/Fucida said:

That all resulted in cancelation of former limits and setting of the new one (10 minutes @ 1,58/1,65).

No, the 3 minute limit is clearly stated in the manual. If it was cancelled, they would have taken it out.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

Not plausible?????

That is what the official manual says!

That is basically saying a plane carrying five tons of payload may pull no more than 8 G, but the same plane carrying just two tons of payload may never exceed 5 G.

It's not just implausible, it's a fundamentally flawed way of thinking.

15 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

No idea. Why dont you check the German version if you doubt its accuracy.

Dude chill! I wasn´t doubting anything.

18 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

No, the 3 minute limit is clearly stated in the manual. If it was cancelled, they would have taken it out.

It was mentioned above. In 1944 there were in service two variants of BMW 801 D-2. In that manual are mentioned both. The original one kept the older limits, the improved one had revised limits (10 minutes with EN, no limit for lower output). There was (OF COURSE!) necessary to check the temperatures in any condition. 

@JtD I know about limits or let's say regimes by german engines (Dauerleistung, Steig und Kampfleistung, Start und Notleistung, and some kinds of Sondernotleistung). The BMW 801 D-2 with Erhöhte Notleistung was one of few, where wasn't usage of former pressures limited, but similar situation appeared also a little bit later by Fw 190 D-9. And I repeat it for third time, it was possible because of other changes in engine itself (pistons, valves, spark plugs).

Edited by 1stCL/Fucida