[KG]Destaex

A few important questions about tank crew.

Would I like to have infantry in TC? Yes. Is it a deciding factor in any way? No. For me having proper infantry would make it better but even without I have enjoyed every minute I have put in it.

9 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

Would I like to have infantry in TC? Yes. Is it a deciding factor in any way? No. For me having proper infantry would make it better but even without I have enjoyed every minute I have put in it.

I don't even need proper infantry. Just s one infantry formations that can deploy and present a danger to tanks, can be fortified in buildings or forests, no single infantryman routine but acting more as a whole. Like move to position by transport, unload and take cover, wait in ambush. This would make it a lot better. If the module is a success (which I hope it is because what we have so far is already pretty awesome) then maybe adding individual behaviour to soldiers?

Basically I want an artillery crew whose artillery piece is a panzerfaust or AT grenades or something like that that are easy to hide and can fire at tanks and other infantry.

and or infantry in a ditch, trench or building with hand grenades. This is surely doable.  😃

30 minutes ago, Thad said:

and or infantry in a ditch, trench or building with hand grenades. This is surely doable.  😃

I hope too that we will get this form of simple infantry.

One question I have is will the m4a2 Sherman have the American 75 or will it be the Russian 76mm gun?

The reason I ask is because I never saw anything mentioned in the dev diary about a 75mm, only the 88, 76, etc. this leads me to believe they are going to model the Sherman with the russian 76 installed and not the American 75.

Not many Shermans (as far as I know) were modified with the 76 so I'm hoping we will get the 75.

Edited by Legioneod

29 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

The reason I ask is because I never saw anything mentioned in the dev diary about a 75mm, only the 88, 76, etc. this leads me to believe they are going to model the Sherman with the russian 76 installed and not the American 75.

I believe the bit in that dev diary was about what was going to be included in TC's initial early access release, not what's coming in the pipeline. There are no mentions of the KwK42, Pak43, 122mm, or 152mm guns either.

11 hours ago, Skeleboners said:

I believe the bit in that dev diary was about what was going to be included in TC's initial early access release, not what's coming in the pipeline. There are no mentions of the KwK42, Pak43, 122mm, or 152mm guns either.

Completely overlooked that, guess I was thinking to much into it.

16 hours ago, Legioneod said:

One question I have is will the m4a2 Sherman have the American 75 or will it be the Russian 76mm gun?

Not many Shermans (as far as I know) were modified with the 76 so I'm hoping we will get the 75.

I know the 76 is good and all tank v. tank, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed we get a 75. 

20 minutes ago, angus26 said:

I know the 76 is good and all tank v. tank, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed we get a 75. 

If we do get the 76 it wont be the American 76 unfortunately, just the same gun that's on the T-34 irrc. From what I can gather the 75mm on the Sherman was slightly better in performance than the F-34 used on the T-34 and Kv1.

I definitely want the 75mm regardless, that way it can act as a stand in on the Bodenplatte map until we get American and British Tanks. 

The only downside of getting the 75 is that it wont have APCR.

Edited by Legioneod

I hear that infantry elements are coming to tank crew. I will be pulling the trigger on Tank Crew because of this.
Thank you Jason for making this happen. I will be spreading the word to other friends.

Look at 1:10 in the below interview with Jason.

• Upvote 1

Yes, very excited about this as well.  They were so firm about no infantry before and must have changed their minds.  A good sign that the Devs are indeed flexible.  Bring on the goodies!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely. Takes a really quality hombre to adapt or rethink things for the better. 

I N F A N T R Y (for targeting) and new/improved control system :yahoo:

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, Yogiflight said:

This is not correct. The first target for tanks is enemy tanks, then AT guns. Always the most dangerous enemy is the most important and therefore first target. In WWI and at the very beginning of WWII the first target for tanks was infantry, but the nations, that stayed too long with this aiming, like France, Poland, England and the Soviet Union payed a high price for this fault. After the Allies reformed their armies, they won the war. Of course not only because of the restructuring and modernizing, but it was a big step.

Here is the curator of the bovington tank museum saying that shermans were not designed to take on german tanks and they did not imagine they ever would. Sort of confirms where I was going with the tanks role. It changed of course as the war progressed. But compared to other targets tanks still would have been rare in a lot of places and individual attacks. In Russia not as much.

Edited by [KG]Destaex

1 hour ago, [KG]Destaex said:

Here is the curator of the bovington tank museum saying that shermans were not designed to take on german tanks and they did not imagine they ever would.

Interesting. When I read about the M3 Lee/Grant, I read, that the reason for developing and producing it was, that it was clear to see after the first engagements of the British with the German tanks, that the American tanks with their small caliber guns wouldn't have the slightest chance in fighting the German tanks, so there was a need for a tank with heavier armament. That was, according to this article the reason for developing the Sherman and, as developing a completely new tank needs a bit more time than rebuiling an existing tank with a heavier gun, if you have a chassis, that can carry it, which, then , led to the M3 Lee.

But as I am not an expert in American tank building, I can't say if it is right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

But as I am not an expert in American tank building, I can't say if it is right.

You are correct, the american experts watching the battle of france came to the conclusions that the germans tanks were better and to beat them they will have to be able to face the german tanks and as the Panzer IV had the biggest gun: 75mm gun the american response need to have at least a 75mm and as they were designing the M3 chassis that later became the sherman they worked in the 75mm and it became the m3 Lee/grant.

But yes tanks arent meant to fight tanks as the nr 1 role, tank on tank actions do happen but its not like battle of kursk level, most shermans in ww2 never ever saw a panther let alone a tiger. I think I read somewhere the americans only has 3 confirmed tiger tank encounters in normandy, as an example.

• Upvote 1