[KG]Destaex

A few important questions about tank crew.

Thanks for the link. On this page Jason confirms they do not have the time or resources to make infantry. So unfortunately this tank simulator is rather like a flight simulator with fighters and no bombers. :( 
What you essentially have is a fish bowl style simulator. Rather than a combat simulation you literally have the ability to drive around and shoot other vehicles in a vacuum. For $107 Australian I am amazed that they don't have the resources. I think they would get many more people on board if they did have infantry even as an addon. Perhaps we should lobby for an addon product that includes properly modelled infantry? Never going to happen right?

Perhaps it would be possible to get canned animations from somewhere so they do not have to do the hard yards?

"Tank Crew" apart from the tank interiors, seems to offer the same experience to me as war thunder and post scriptum do. The only differences I can see are a few support vehicles like AT guns and transports and being able to see what is probably a non-animated tank interior?  This is even though considering they did a whole flight simulator, at the same price which is a much more complex undertaking. They don't seem to have the "resources" to do this tank simulator if it involves developing new things in the engine??? I don't know. I guess I am just disappointed here that my dreams of a fully priced combat ww2 tank simulator are crushed. No combined arms and no tank crew animation. I doubt the interior is clickable and I don't know if the crew inside the vehicle will be animated as they were in red orchestra 2. It makes me wonder if their new ww1 sim is going to do rising flight's hand signals? Do they have the rising flight source code? It's the same guys right?

I will keep following this thread and game though. I am still interested. Just markedly less so. 

Red Orchestra 2 - Also on a shoestring budget. I think I paid about $20 for it. The tank interiors were amazing for their time. I was blown away. The crew even crawl between positions.

Edited by [KG]Destaex

Agreed, otherwise it would make no sense at all to get a mannable radio operator.

EDIT: Oops, lost the quote to Gunsmith's post about infantry weapon stations. We will definitely need something to shoot at with machineguns or the frontgunner/ radio operator station doesn't make sense.

Edited by Yogiflight

Hi all... First time I post here after I bought Battle of Stalingrad just 5 days ago  ;) (at last, the second after a complain about the login bug when the game starts)

I'm very impressed with the VR on this game, it's really pleasant to fly in this game (nice aerodynamics, cockpits, damages, etc.). It's been such a long time I didn't fly anymore and actually, I only play quick mission to learn a little before I begin the campain.

Two days ago, I clicked on the tank icon (thinking I was going to destroy tanks with my plane) and what was my surprise !!! A tank simulator :) !!! Finally, a tank simulator is in development ! I will follow very closely this game now, hoping it will be as good as in my dreams... A mix between "T34 vs Tiger" (for the simulation) and "Red Orchestra 2" (for everything else like interior movements of the crew, reloading MG, combat vs tanks and/or infantry, etc.) :

Keep the good work !

...sorry for my poor english... :(

Edited by BlueMind

This is steel fury Kharkov and this video illustrates exactly what I want from "tank crew". However steel fury is from 2008 I believe and even has a paid mod called STA which I think is still available to buy. STA is a modular mod apparently that lets you buy tank interiors and things like that..

Check this out. Give me infantry like it's done here and I am bound to be more likely to bite for this game. This looks amazing. Infantry moving beside tanks as they advance. Tank crew with their heads out. This is how I imagined crewing a tank in ww2 would have been.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gunsmith86 said:

Well it looks good but its not how tanks  advance in real! 

It is even more not how infantry would advance. Those soldiers are running for kilometers between the tanks, they are no machines.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, [KG]Destaex said:

How do tanks advance in real? 

Good question!

If you look at all pictures below and watch the video you will notice that there is very little talk about supporting the infantry that´s simple because if you want a fast moving war than its no longer the job of the tank to support infantry instead of that the tank unit itself is used in large formations to force a breakthrough and wreak havoc behind the enemy lines and cut as many units from supply as possible! They will only wait at important points for there infantry to catch up and secure them.

Lets start whit this very good video:

If we have infantry as support at the attack they must be mobile enough to keep up whit the tank force and we don´t want them running between the tanks. So we can use the mobility of the tank whit out fear to drive over some of the infantry by accident!

Panzerkampf_background.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0596-12,_Russ

0ba052c402e3eb42817cbe2d0635d6ba.jpg

El_Alamein_1942_-_British_tanks.jpg

854f60b4b6ba1b61e0e2a700c3bf52fe.jpg

be006f420c208408fe40f99619e825df.jpg

main_1200.jpg?1420519399

To more videos one is in English: sadly the quality is not better.

Edited by Gunsmith86

14 minutes ago, Gunsmith86 said:

Good question!

If you look at all pictures below and watch the video you will notice that there is very little talk about supporting the infantry that´s simple because if you want a fast moving war than its no longer the job of the tank to support infantry instead of that the tank unit itself is used in large formations to force a breakthrough and wreak havoc behind the enemy lines and cut as many units from supply as possible! They will only wait at important points for there infantry to catch up and secure them.

If we have infantry as support at the attack they must be mobile enough to keep up whit the tank force and we don´t want them running between the tanks. So we can use the mobility of the tank whit out fear to drive over some of the infantry by accident!

Gunsmith, what you are describing is certainly true earlier in the war during the initial Blitzkrieg. But as the war progressed and the ability of infantry to destroy tanks developed, this way of operating became less and less the case. Leading with armor became a way to lose your armor. The importance of infantry serving as eyes and as a screen from enemy infantry cannot be overemphasized.

There are enough examples, like Rommel's attacks in France, where tanks stopped, when they were short of fuel, and the infantry had to struggle to keep the pace. Usually the infantry followed on halftracks and trucks until they had to fight. Reconnaisance done by the 'Kradschützen' was very important.

But this of course was only possible with the right terrain. The tanks needed open fields to minimze the risk to get ambushed.

3 minutes ago, Jack59 said:

Gunsmith, what you are describing is certainly true earlier in the war during the initial Blitzkrieg. But as the war progressed and the ability of infantry to destroy tanks developed, this way of operating became less and less the case. Leading with armor became a way to lose your armor. The importance of infantry serving as eyes and as a screen from enemy infantry cannot be overemphasized.

The losses were huge. But what they tried was destroying the enemy before he really knew, what was happening and before being able to defend himself and they were pretty successfull with this tactics. That the Germans didn't use it later in the war, was just because they didn't have the strength anymore. But what is very important for this kind of attacking, is reconnaisance to minmize the risks.

Tanks rolling by their own only really occurs when a breakthrough has been achieved and they have essentially no opposition and cover ground easily.

Before this, there is a grind that is only successful with cooperation between tanks and infantry. Examples of this are Normandy, which was pretty much an grind before Breakout in Operation Cobra. During this time the US Army learned many valuable lessons in tank-infantry cooperation and implemented modifications like tank-infantry telephones so the infantry could communicate with the tanks easily.

Tank heavy attacks into defensive positions do not work for example Operation Goodwood where the British lost 200 tanks on the first day

3 hours ago, Jack59 said:

You and many others always seem to assume that if the first view of these tank units hit a enemy unit which is ready to fight them that they would do so. But thats not really the case they will try to fight through but they wont force it if it is not looking as if the line will break any minute. They will however flank this blocking force as soon as they find any other way around them and by doing so make the position impossible to hold for the enemy if they don´t want to lose all there troops there in a useless fight. If they are not able to find another way around than they will have to wait for infantry and artillery support to force the breakthrough.

The ability of infantry to destroy tanks never developed so much that they could stop a tank attack in WW2 or the German army would have stop the Red army after all they used up to 100000 Panzerfäuste per month and that was not enough! Panzerfaust and Bazooka was the only new infantry weapon against tanks but that was not enough.

Lets just look at British tank losses in Percent:

just 5,4% of all tanks lost are from weapons like the Bazooka or Panzerfaust!

even the losses through other Causes are greater than that!

Patton used it in Operation Cobra and the Red army used it from 1943 to 1945 more and more often just because there are some new weapons does not imply automatically that older tactics no longer work.

There are special scout units to serve as eyes for the tanks they are trained and equipped for this task. They seldom fire at the enemy and scout for the best point of breakthrough. They report about everything that they see so the tanks will know how is the road, are there any obstacles, enemy movement and positions, alternatives roads ... and much more. Its there job to find a place were a breakthrough is possible whit out such a weak point in a defensive line tanks support infantry while they try to battle through if they find one this changes everything than the tank force must exploit it or the opportunity is lost and they cant wait for infantry to screen them if they do the enemy will build a new line of defensive positions.

There are a view good books about this topic like:

Scouts out: A History of the German Armored Reconnasissance Units of WWII

Edited by Gunsmith86

And don't forget, as this is a flight sim, in first case, the importance of air reconnaisance. From the air you can see much more, than from the ground. So whenever possible big tank attacks were prepared by air recon.

1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

And don't forget, as this is a flight sim, in first case, the importance of air reconnaisance. From the air you can see much more, than from the ground. So whenever possible big tank attacks were prepared by air recon.

So what you are essentially saying is.  Jump in a Pe2, fly about, spot the enemy positions, parachute out, land next to friendly tank, jump in tank, proceed to flank enemy positions, destroy.  Back home for tea and scones by five.

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

So what you are essentially saying is.  Jump in a Pe2, fly about, spot the enemy positions, parachute out, land next to friendly tank, jump in tank, proceed to flank enemy positions, destroy.  Back home for tea and scones by five.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say. What are scones?:biggrin:

Sadly Adding infantry now would mean a change in the Games Rating from 13+ to like 15+ or some countries 18+

This would mean Devs would have to revoke keys from current players under age.
Also player base would take an impact as a huge chunk of players are kids (not grumpy old men like us )

also the Current Soldiers on map do not even react to your presense unless you shoot the gun or car they in.
This dude casual walked past my Crash 110 @ enemy AF failed raid (pe2 sat in parking )

Spoiler

15n7xx5.jpg

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

Not this age thing again. It really gets in the way of making a war simulation. Especially when you consider how many other games and war movies there are out there and that show men or soldiers dying in war that are pg. I am not asking for people’s limbs to be ripped off. I am just asking for one of the things that tanks saw  on a daily basis. Infantry. If they cannot be in game then how can this even be called a tank crew simulator? It should be called a tank vs cherry picked vehicles simulator. War is hell. I very much doubt many kids under 13 play the flight version of this simulator. What rating does tank crew have currently anyways? I assume gunning down at gun crews is already in?
I am not asking for civilians. I am asking for historical combatants in a simulator. A simulator which may well depict crew and pilots as well as gunners and other people right now which can die in game. How can a simulator simulate without simulating.

Besides, there are a tonne of games out their with infantry that I do not have bad ratings that are much worse than this would be with infantry. Men of war 2, steel division, company of heroes, combat mission etc

Edited by [KG]Destaex

10 hours ago, Gunsmith86 said:

Good question!

Panzerkampf_background.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0596-12,_Russ

0ba052c402e3eb42817cbe2d0635d6ba.jpg

El_Alamein_1942_-_British_tanks.jpg

854f60b4b6ba1b61e0e2a700c3bf52fe.jpg

be006f420c208408fe40f99619e825df.jpg

main_1200.jpg?1420519399

To more videos one is in English: sadly the quality is not better.

So  you only want to depict the breakout phase? No advancing on well defended enemy lines, no bunker busting, no tactical retreats, no moving into suburban areas or defending suburban areas, no deploying of panzer grenadiers from transport to advance and clear ahead of tanks or with them, no firefighting units coming to infantrys aid? It should also be noted that you include no other nations tank tactics at any other time in ww2 in your videos.

Edited by [KG]Destaex

For what it's worth, the presence or absence of infantry is going to be a make-or-break for me in terms of committing to buying Tank Crew - so I'm going to keep an eye on this closely, and I dearly hope the devs change their mind. I'm not asking for Arma-style simulation, but even really basic moving and shooting squads/teams of infantry are a must. 

The Eastern Front of WWII was, above all else, an infantry war - contrary to movie cliches and misconceptions, it was a war that was fundamentally dominated by infantry and revolved around infantry. It might be possible to shoehorn the excuse that yes, Prokhorovka was almost entirely an AFV vs. AFV battle - but Prokhorovka was a wild exception in the grand scheme of things, almost a once-in-history event in the course of a massive and complex war. I'm willing to grant that this might be a good simulation of one few-hour phase of a battle, which ultimately had little impact on the battle's overall outcome - but I'd be terribly disappointed if it was, because to me the current IL-2 series appears to be about "great battles" and a broader and more diverse look at what made up fighting in WWII. 

Truthfully, the lack of infantry already bothers me enough in IL-2 from the air perespective - and in this case, at least it's possible to argue that infantry weren't really much of a threat to aircraft. But tanks? A WWII Eastern Front tank game with no infantry just doesn't add up - a simulation is supposed to be about immersion and suspension of disbelief, and how do you maintain that when literally the most important thing on the battlefield is missing? Even if the tanks and terrain are great, it'd make for a very shallow virtual world that would just not be able to keep my attention for more than a few hours. Which is just not worth the asking price, sorry - I'd buy that content for $8, but definitely not $80. 

So I'm totally okay with no infantry in Early Access stages. But unless there's a commitment from the team to feature infantry on the final release, I'm just not putting my money down - which is disappointing, because otherwise I would be running to do so :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Well put CCIP. Combined arms is a reality. Tanks would have seen infantry more than other tanks so not having them in a simulator of this scale is ridiculous..

Edited by [KG]Destaex

Yesterday, I had my first go at Tank Crew, unfortunately with a laptop running at 10 fpm :(

I have a question, how do you adjust the distance in the gunsight of the Tiger? Is it implemented or still in WIP? I've seen some videos and it seems that it is not working, and the sight always remain at 0.

Abother issue is that when I move forwards and the I make a turn, the tank stops and I have to repress the forward key. Is this normal?

Thanks

Edited by PA_Spartan-

11 hours ago, CCIP said:

So I'm totally okay with no infantry in Early Access stages. But unless there's a commitment from the team to feature infantry on the final release, I'm just not putting my money down - which is disappointing, because otherwise I would be running to do so :(

Hmm.. not sure infantry is a core value for tank gameplay, especially at multiplayer mode.

But I'm quite sure there will be an infrantry... but motorized / mechanized infantry as supported vehicles:

- trucks,

- armored trucks,

- armored cars,

- recon vehicles,

- mobile & stationary AT guns,

- long range artillery guns,

With this I'll be satisfied with infantry support.

Think this way: if you focus on infantry / infantry vehicles you will not pay attention for enemy tanks or "death from sky". 

It happens now at WarThunder in example (players call it as "air hell").

Secondly... yes... it will be nice when player is spotted by enemy recon vehicle (under camo) and attacked closer and closer by artillery units.

Hell with this game? Bugs? Unplayable? Poor balanced?  No - you wanted to play with infantry.

:dance:

Found two mechanized infantry units with supplies for tanks here:

3002_2.jpg 

The age thing could be solved by adding infantry in an add-on, even free, so the game would still be infantry free except if you add this particular add-on.

So you, or the dev, would have the possibility to make the sim kid friendly or not.

Edited by Eicio

I can foresee bazooka and panzerfaust teams being developed. They will be short range threats but tankers can't take them for granted. Perhaps infantry in trenches or bunkers. 🙂

39 minutes ago, PL_Andrev said:

Found two mechanized infantry units with supplies for tanks here:

3002_2.jpg 

This pic shows another issue of the ground war we have currently. The trucks speeding to the sides like race cars not like supply trucks. We are not on Rallye Paris - Dakar.

You can see this, when you destroy a truck in a column, the trucks behind speed around it like UFOs.

The default behaviour would be, the trucks move on until they are hit. The driver an his co would not be looking all the time into the sky for aircrafts, they would be more concentrated on the ground. And if they see the attack, they would most likely stop and run away from the truck to save their lives.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Yesterday, I had my first go at Tank Crew, unfortunately with a laptop running at 10 fpm :(

I have a question, how do you adjust the distance in the gunsight of the Tiger? Is it implemented or still in WIP? I've seen some videos and it seems that it is not working, and the sight always remain at 0.

Abother issue is that when I move forwards and the I make a turn, the tank stops and I have to repress the forward key. Is this normal?

Thanks

Tiger gunsight is working very well.     

Set the "gunsight range adjustment" with key mapping on an axis so it can be moved  accurately forward and backward.

Make sure enemy targets have the distance shown above them and then set the Tiger gunsight to that same distance, set the target on apex of the the gunsight aiming triangle if stationary or adjust with offset triangles to either side of the main triangle for moving targets one and then shoot.. 

Tank Movement is working very well

Double check your key mapping  to make sure you don't have conflicting commands set-up for the tank movement.   I had to clear all of my key mapping for flight in order to get 

Tank Crew to function smoothly.    

2 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

Make sure enemy targets have the distance shown above them and then set the Tiger gunsight to that same distance, set the target on apex of the the gunsight aiming triangle if stationary or adjust with offset triangles to either side of the main triangle for moving targets one and then shoot.. 

Double check your key mapping  to make sure you don't have conflicting commands set-up for the tank movement.   I had to clear all of my key mapping for flight in order to get 

Tank Crew to function smoothly.    

Salutations,

How does one get the enemy targets distance displayed?

I have created a Tank 'input' folder and a separate Aircraft 'input' folder. I swap them out as required. Clunky, but it works.

Thad

Turn on the HUD, same as in flight mode.

You then see main gun direction with reference to tank body, ammo type and count, RPMs and distance to targets.  etc etc.   Really helpful!!!

How did you set up the different folders for tank and flight,  I really need to know how to do that?

Please explain in detail.

Jim

Thanks,

I setup keymapping for TANK. I copy and save the tank 'input' folder. I put it in a folder entitled TANKInput.

I then go to setting and change everything back to 'default'. I then setup my keymapping of aircraft use. Afterwards, save a copy of this 'input' folder. Saved in AIRCRAFTInput folder.

I swap them out as needed.

I think the "kid-friendly" thing is a non-issue to be honest - I'm not aware of any ratings system that just flat-out prevents that. There's limits on how violence can be depicted, and IL-2 already deals with that (consider the infantry that's already there as gun crews etc.) There's no blood, no dismemberment etc., and that's fine. I don't think stating ratings as a reason at all is being honest - I haven't seen this actually stated though. I think this is 100% an effort/priorities issue. 

Otherwise, I'm only marginally interested in multiplayer, but even there it's sort of an obvious missing piece - it's the same as saying that hey, for multiplayer, AA guns aren't important at all. Or ground targets except tanks aren't important at all. I mean sure, it is playable that way - but just because it's playable doesn't mean it's good as a simulation. In that sense, too, there are reasons why one would choose a product like IL-2 over a product like World of Tanks or War Thunder - in my case, it's because there's a serious slant towards realism, showing a more complete and uncompromised picture of the war, and at least a decent single-player offering, as opposed to one that is balanced for gameplay in multiplayer. Even in multiplayer, there's a major portion that is co-op or big persistent servers with moving ground units and targets. Sure, there are a couple of other reasons to choose Tank Crew now - multi-station multiplayer, the promised 100x100km Prokhorovka map, etc. If that's enough for people, that's fine. For me, though, the absence of combat infantry would just be a real break from immersion that would cost my interest in playing the game for very long. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PL_Andrev said:

Hmm.. not sure infantry is a core value for tank gameplay, especially at multiplayer mode.

But I'm quite sure there will be an infrantry... but motorized / mechanized infantry as supported vehicles:

- trucks,

- armored trucks,

- armored cars,

- recon vehicles,

- mobile & stationary AT guns,

- long range artillery guns,

-snip-

Secondly... yes... it will be nice when player is spotted by enemy recon vehicle (under camo) and attacked closer and closer by artillery units.

Hell with this game? Bugs? Unplayable? Poor balanced?  No - you wanted to play with infantry.

For the second time in discussing this with you - none of those things are infantry.

They are not infantry - FULL STOP.

And again, setting a bunch of preconditions on why it can't/won't/doesn't work is patently incorrect.

2 hours ago, Thad said:

Thanks,

I setup keymapping for TANK. I copy and save the tank 'input' folder. I put it in a folder entitled TANKInput.

I then go to setting and change everything back to 'default'. I then setup my keymapping of aircraft use. Afterwards, save a copy of this 'input' folder. Saved in AIRCRAFTInput folder.

I swap them out as needed.

Combine this with JSGME, and you have (next to) the perfect solution. Just my two cents.

Regards.

fubar 

5 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

The default behaviour would be, the trucks move on until they are hit. The driver an his co would not be looking all the time into the sky for aircrafts, they would be more concentrated on the ground. And if they see the attack, they would most likely stop and run away from the truck to save their lives.

Being a child I remember old Russian chronicles about war. The train commanders (?) looked at the skies and often stopped the train when German planes try to bomb locomotive.

Anyway is possible to hear attacking bomber - engines are quite laud and crew may evacuate truck before they attack. Especially when plane is cruising to recognize friend / enemy.

Secondly I don't believe that Germans did not use camos and used light grey material to show everyone where they exactly are.

3 hours ago, Space_Ghost said:

For the second time in discussing this with you - none of those things are infantry.

Mate, no offense - only discussion. We understand what infantry is with different ways.

Sure all of units I listed are not "single soldier" units. But it is preferred to see this kind of infantry in game than see nothing as WoT or WT shows.

Final words: if 4-person per tank are available, what is a role for MG gunner?

So we can expect some of light "units" in game...

Edited by PL_Andrev

My first tries with a laptop at 8 - 10 fps have been a lot of fun. I am just missing the crew voices like in Tiger vs T34. I guess they will be implemented later on.

I had some problems with the setting. I agree with the ones who have said that a new tab in the setting just for the tanks is needed. Yesterday I finally could use the Gunfight Rage in the Tiger. It was a bloodshed!!! :)

Edited by PA_Spartan-

On July 21, 2018 at 3:26 AM, [KG]Destaex said:

Thanks for the link. On this page Jason confirms they do not have the time or resources to make infantry. So unfortunately this tank simulator is rather like a flight simulator with fighters and no bombers. :( 
What you essentially have is a fish bowl style simulator. Rather than a combat simulation you literally have the ability to drive around and shoot other vehicles in a vacuum. For $107 Australian I am amazed that they don't have the resources. I think they would get many more people on board if they did have infantry even as an addon. Perhaps we should lobby for an addon product that includes properly modelled infantry? Never going to happen right?

Perhaps it would be possible to get canned animations from somewhere so they do not have to do the hard yards?

"Tank Crew" apart from the tank interiors, seems to offer the same experience to me as war thunder and post scriptum do. The only differences I can see are a few support vehicles like AT guns and transports and being able to see what is probably a non-animated tank interior?  This is even though considering they did a whole flight simulator, at the same price which is a much more complex undertaking. They don't seem to have the "resources" to do this tank simulator if it involves developing new things in the engine??? I don't know. I guess I am just disappointed here that my dreams of a fully priced combat ww2 tank simulator are crushed. No combined arms and no tank crew animation. I doubt the interior is clickable and I don't know if the crew inside the vehicle will be animated as they were in red orchestra 2. It makes me wonder if their new ww1 sim is going to do rising flight's hand signals? Do they have the rising flight source code? It's the same guys right?

I will keep following this thread and game though. I am still interested. Just markedly less so. 

Red Orchestra 2 - Also on a shoestring budget. I think I paid about $20 for it. The tank interiors were amazing for their time. I was blown away. The crew even crawl between positions.

I expect the reason is because Tank Crew is pretty much being developed and sold as a niche, within a niche.  I suspect it is still very much an experiment, a dipping their collective toes in the water.   At the moment.

I would be be very surprised,  if it works out well, the hurdles are not onerous or insermountable and it sells reasonably well, then more features will come along in due course, it's just that it's being developed, almost by accident, and they don't want to over commit, or promise.  If the game has legs (tracks) and the developers feel they can do something really well then I'm sure it will turn into a game in it's own right, if still part of the Great Battles series, rather than, as it is at the moment, an adjunct to something else.  I wonder who the prime mover was ?  Was it 777 or was it some hobbiests, small software studio, who maybe thought, after seeing the initial rough cut, that there was potential for a great tank sim using the game engine and 777 have given them enough rope and scope to trial something, without potentially capsizing the ship if things don't quite live up to expectations.

50 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I would be be very surprised,  if it works out well, the hurdles are not onerous or insermountable and it sells reasonably well, then more features will come along in due course, it's just that it's being developed, almost by accident, and they don't want to over commit, or promise.  If the game has legs (tracks) and the developers feel they can do something really well then I'm sure it will turn into a game in it's own right, if still part of the Great Battles series, rather than, as it is at the moment, an adjunct to something else.  I wonder who the prime mover was ?  Was it 777 or was it some hobbiests, small software studio, who maybe thought, after seeing the initial rough cut, that there was potential for a great tank sim using the game engine and 777 have given them enough rope and scope to trial something, without potentially capsizing the ship if things don't quite live up to expectations.

I hope and trust that Tank Crew will continue to be improved and expanded upon. I was one person on these forums that constantly lobbied for more tanks... more tanks. I was mocked occasionally for constantly bringing it up. I am obviously pleased with recent developments. I admit that Tank Crew is in its' infancy, developmental wise. There is more to come. Not to mention what our mod makers may come up with for it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Tank Crew. 🙂

2 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I expect the reason is because Tank Crew is pretty much being developed and sold as a niche, within a niche.  I suspect it is still very much an experiment, a dipping their collective toes in the water.   At the moment.

I don’t think the price tag fits a rough cut. The price tag fits a fully fleshed out and developed game from scratch. From the ground up. When actually it utilises an existing engine and experienced team with a lot of existing assets. I would not say this is a dip in the water. The devs have a huge head start.  Furthermore Inhave purchased games in the hope that they will develop into what I want later. But they never seem too. Or they take a good chunk of your life waiting while features complete. It is better to wait and see before buying if infantry are planned rather than jumping in while the developers comprehensively state their will be no infantry. 

Edited by [KG]Destaex

7 minutes ago, [KG]Destaex said:

I don’t think the price tag fits a rough cut. The price tag fits a fully fleshed out and developed game from scratch. From the ground up. When actually it utilises an existing engine and experienced team with a lot of existing assets. I would not say this is a dip in the water. The devs have a huge head start.  Furthermore Inhave purchased games in the hope that they will develop into what I want later. But they never seem too. Or they take a good chunk of your life waiting while features complete. It is better to wait and see before buying if infantry are planned rather than jumping in while the developers comprehensively state their will be no infantry. 

Then don't buy it and stop trying to discourage others from enjoying it. You want infantry. Heard you. Next. 

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Jason is there no way you guys would do infantry?

Did not mean to sound like I was discouraging. I was just stating what my strategy was for buying in the hope feature will be added that are not coming. But I guess it could be construed like that sorry.

Edited by [KG]Destaex

13 minutes ago, [KG]Destaex said:

Jason is there no way you guys would do infantry?

Did not mean to sound like I was discouraging. I was just stating what my strategy was for buying in the hope feature will be added that are not coming. But I guess it could be construed like that sorry.

I want infantry too. Despite the fact that I already purchased TC, infantry will be a deciding factor in whether I enjoy it or see replayability with it in the long run.

That being said... Harping on Jason, financially ransoming the team over their design decisions, or *discouraging others from buying the product is a disservice to the hard work these guys put it, its a disservice to the "end game" you hope to see which thrives off of our support and its a disservice to the community as a whole.

*the intense detraction from purchasing before it is an approximation of your vision or pleading for features that don't exist yet is discouraging for other people on the fence about buying on to the product. I'm right there with you so don't take what I'm saying the wrong way - but be positive, buy on, get a couple friends to buy on, show your support and be hopeful for what will come. Jason and the team have a solid track record of surprising people.

20 hours ago, PL_Andrev said:

-snip-

But it is preferred to see this kind of infantry in game than see nothing as WoT or WT shows.

-snip-

Uhhh... I disagree because they're not infantry and a world full of vehicles is approximately equivalent to WoT or WT.

Edited by Space_Ghost
  • Upvote 2