[TWB]Sketch

If you have issues with your missions in 3.005...

Please post your mission file, one of us will take at look at it (if I don't get to it first).

You had skin files assigned to various pilots that had spaces in the file name. I would go look at any of your *.dds files, and resave them without spaces. I removed those erroneous names via Visual Studio Code (similar to Notepad++) in the *.mission file and resaved your mission as version 45. The new version opens just fine in the mission editor, and I've uploaded it here:

kuban_nav_training_v45.zip

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, -NW-FourSpeed said:

So, I suppose the other side of the coin for this little pita is that if you don't actually *have* the .mission files  (QuQi deleted them once they were put on), but only the .msnbin and lang files, you're pretty much boned...   ☹️😡

Without the mission files, it's over. Sorry. Always keep the mission file. It's another rule you must have in mind.

Post your mission with the msnbin, i will try with some of my old backup to generate the mission file. 

Edited by Habu

1 hour ago, Habu said:

Without the mission files, it's over. Sorry. Always keep the mission file. It's another rule you must have in mind.

Post your mission with the msnbin, i will try with some of my old backup to generate the mission file. 

Yep, I know that (and I have them all for our RoF servers), but the gent that was handling our BoS stuff appears to have been less rigorous about it (or, if he did save them, they're on his own PC instead of the server). I'll email him on it, but since he moved on at the end of last year, it's doubtful he'll still have them... I may still have an older version of BoS on another machine that can still read the .msnbin file, but if not, tfb. 

We've never cared all that much about BoS from the get-go, so it's more irritating than critical, I suppose -- there are plenty of BoS/Kuban servers already. if I have to do missions from scratch, I'll wait until there's enough meaningful FC content to proceed, and start there (since RoF was our focus in the first place, and FC is intended as its successor).

Regards,

PS> It would have been nice to have any sort of head's up from the devs when they're making radical changes to the file structures ahead of time, so there would at least, be the opportunity to prepare for it before it's too late, but Sh*t Happens, I guess...  In the meantime, we can save server resources by not needing to run a BoS server for awhile...    

Edited by -NW-FourSpeed

3 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

You had skin files assigned to various pilots that had spaces in the file name. I would go look at any of your *.dds files, and resave them without spaces. I removed those erroneous names via Visual Studio Code (similar to Notepad++) in the *.mission file and resaved your mission as version 45. The new version opens just fine in the mission editor, and I've uploaded it here:

kuban_nav_training_v45.zip

Thanks [TWB] Sketch

Please correct me if I am wrong,....So we should avoid spaces, apostrophes and commas!?

1 hour ago, EAF_Starfire said:

Thanks [TWB] Sketch

Please correct me if I am wrong,....So we should avoid spaces, apostrophes and commas!?

Yes, it's all the specific sign you must avoid. The rules are the same as if you name a windows file.

I use spaces in Windows files all the time.

Hard drives full of them, work files, everything. Windows fixed that issue some versions ago.

6 hours ago, Habu said:

Yes, it's all the specific sign you must avoid. The rules are the same as if you name a windows file.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Hard drives full of them, work files, everything. Windows fixed that issue some versions ago.

Although Microsoft and affiliated applications seems to have solved the issue of filesnames with more than 8 characters as well as spaces, it seems that not all application developers and the API/framwork are dealing equally well with it.

Personally I have fallen into the habit of using both spaces and long file names. I can live with the restrictions but I would be nice to know the limitations in advanced😉

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

As Starfire wrote, you can have some problem with some application, not with space (most of the program fixe that), but with coma, apostrophe, and very long name.

Thanks again Habu.

You saved me a lot of time and frustration.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:24 AM, Habu said:

On 7/29/2018 at 9:49 AM, -NW-FourSpeed said:

Yep, I know that (and I have them all for our RoF servers), but the gent that was handling our BoS stuff appears to have been less rigorous about it (or, if he did save them, they're on his own PC instead of the server). I'll email him on it, but since he moved on at the end of last year, it's doubtful he'll still have them... I may still have an older version of BoS on another machine that can still read the .msnbin file, but if not, tfb. 

We've never cared all that much about BoS from the get-go, so it's more irritating than critical, I suppose -- there are plenty of BoS/Kuban servers already. if I have to do missions from scratch, I'll wait until there's enough meaningful FC content to proceed, and start there (since RoF was our focus in the first place, and FC is intended as its successor).   

FourSpeed;  does this help?

War Grounds BoS mission.zip

• Upvote 1

Mission makers! Before any update copy/paste your game folder so you won’t loose the ability to open old missions or re-update in case something goes wrong (like it happend to me and lost a bunch of missions). After the update and if all works well you delete the copy.

19 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

FourSpeed;  does this help?

War Grounds BoS mission.zip

Thanks Arthur,

As it happens, I was able to contact QuQi (the former NW Admin who made the missions), and he had backups on his computer (rather than on our server) which I was able to have him send me. I was able to resolve the problem with those backups, but thanks for your post nevertheless.

Regards,

4  ~S!~

• Upvote 1

No problem FourSpeed:salute:

For info;  one of my squadmates found that in the mission editor search function you can type in the complete name of the msnbin file as it appears in your dogfight folder,  hit enter and the editor will load the mission.

In this case I added extra planes and saved the mission.  When saving the mission the editor also creates a new .mission file.