[TWB]Sketch

If you have issues with your missions in 3.005...

I was working on one of my missions, and then the update happened. I was unable to open my mission file until I did the following:

1. rename *.msbin to something like *.msbin-old

2. open *.mission in editor (WHA IT WORKS NOW!?)

3. save mission as new file name (for safety and version control) and only open that file from now on (until you save a new version)

4. ?????

5. profit

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

Well fuckety.

What if I already deleted the MSBIN like I just did before reading this?

Edit: Just restored it...fingers crossed.

More cussing to follow if this doesn't work...

Edited by Gambit21

Should work, Gambit. Just type in M on load and it'll pull up the .MISSION files. It should load then.

Edited by 1./JG54_Schneemann

Not working for me...but then maybe I'm being thick.

I re-named (the restored) MSBIN file, but mission will still not load in the editor.

Schneemann...I'm not getting "type in MSN on load" can you please clarify?

Cussing rant on hold for now.

Grrr...cussing rant getting more likely....WTF.

Wife goes away for a rare overnight, and I can't work on anything.

I'm thermonuclear pissed right now.

Well more annoyed than pissed off...but still.

I was counting on making some progress tonight...grrrrrr

15 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Not working for me...but then maybe I'm being thick.

I re-named (the restored) MSBIN file, but mission will still not load in the editor.

Schneemann...I'm not getting "type in MSN on load" can you please clarify?

Cussing rant on hold for now.

Grrr...cussing rant getting more likely....WTF.

Wife goes away for a rare overnight, and I can't work on anything.

I'm thermonuclear pissed right now.

1. go to editor

2. click open to open a mission

3. in the file name, type *.*

4. See the list of all missions and mission files (instead of just *.Mission files)

5. select the one you want

6. ????

7. profit!

Picture for clarity

image.thumb.png.87b3ddc6a28490374fdb2363a286a3a6.png

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

Still no luck...I replied to your PM

I get the list now after typing *.*,  but selecting the mission file still leads to the error message.

What about selecting "Resave All Missions in a Folder" in the Tools menu (pg. 193 in the manual)?

11 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

I didn't try that... worth a go Gambit.

Hmmm, this post says that MissionResaver.exe hasn't been updated. I wonder if the Tools menu option uses that exe?

If the resave doesn't work, you could try "Convert Missions to Binary in Folder" in the Tools menu. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two options.

Hahaha - sorry - was typing and thinking and a bunch of other stuff at the same time. Weird that you are having issues. Sketch's thing worked for me. Rename .msnbin to something else as he mentioned, then all you should be able to open are .mission files. *.*, m or something in mission should just bring them up. It loads, then hit save and it works fine? 

Nope, I sent a test mission to Sketch and he couldn't get it to open either.

Buenos dias, a mi me sucede lo mismo, abria las misiones y me tiraba error, pero no todas, solo las compiladas bajo la version 3.004, las otras abrian bien.
user el reseve, me genero los archivos pero con el mismo problema.
la solucion fue la mencionada por [TWB]Sketch.
renombre la extencion *.msbin por *.msbin-old y luego pude abrir sin problema la mision.
Saludos disculpen mi falta de ingles

Good morning, the same thing happens to me, I opened the missions and I threw error, but not all, only those compiled under version 3.004, the others opened well.
user the reseve, I generate the files but with the same problem.
the solution was the one mentioned by [TWB] Sketch.
rename the extension * .msbin by * .msbin-old and then I could open the mission without problem.
Greetings sorry for my lack of English

Glad it's working for most editors.

Here's the same guide from the devs:

Works for me on my campaign missions, but not my more recent test missions.

The only difference is lots of translator media MCU's linked to sound files...whereas I have none of that in the campaign missions.

I've posed this on the beta forum and sent the missions and media folder to Sneaksie

On July 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Gambit21 said:

Works for me on my campaign missions, but not my more recent test missions.

The only difference is lots of translator media MCU's linked to sound files...whereas I have none of that in the campaign missions.

I've posed this on the beta forum and sent the missions and media folder to Sneaksie

Try the "resave all in folder" function again. They put out a hot fix that includes an update to the resave exe.

• Upvote 2

I seem to be having the same issue as Gambit21. I have two self-made missions which both took some considerable time to put together. I followed the initial advice and deleted the .msnbin file of each. One of them I can play on my server and open in the ME but the other doesn't do either. The 'Resave all in Folder' option kicks up an error in the mission file and refuses to conclude its processing. All this is after both the 3.005 update and the hotfix 3.005b. Missions were made and saved in 3.004.

Is there any way to retrieve this mission? Seems to me that unfortunately, an update in the sim platform is always potentially going to damage or break missions made in a previous version. Shame but I guess as the ME is not an officially released utility as a consumer product but was given to us so that people could learn from it, then we have to take it as it is.

Edited by SCG_MADOV

Madov, are you using Translator media in your mission ?

Yes Habu, I have one mission made in 3.004 containing one MCU Translator media and this one plays perfectly and opens in ME. I have another homemade mission which incorporates 2 such MCUs, also made in 3.004 but not playable and doesn't open in ME and results in error when 'Resave missions in folder' is attempted.

3 minutes ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Yes Habu, I have one mission made in 3.004 containing one MCU Translator media and this one plays perfectly and opens in ME. I have another homemade mission which incorporates 2 such MCUs, also made in 3.004 but not playable and doesn't open in ME and results in error when 'Resave missions in folder' is attempted.

Can you post a zip with all files from your problem mission please.

Edited by JimTM

Hello Jim, when you say post, how do you mean exactly? Simply zip and attach, but how can anyone open it?

SCG's F.A.R.T. with Spitfire Mk Vb.zip

The above mission did play perfectly online and was only 'broken' when the platform updated to 3.005 with hotfixes.

Edited by SCG_MADOV

24 minutes ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Hello Jim, when you say post, how do you mean exactly? Simply zip and attach, but how can anyone open it?

The above mission did play perfectly online and was only 'broken' when the platform updated to 3.005 with hotfixes.

Yes, the zip is what I'm looking for, thanks. Now I (and others) can try troubleshooting the mission. If I can't open it, I can take a look at the .mission file text to see if there are issues.

Edited by JimTM

Can you include the *.list and *.eng (assuming you made it in English) files along with your *.mission file? It'll help when we try to fix it, otherwise you'll lose those files. Regardless, I'll take a look at the mission when I get home.

1 hour ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Here is  the complete file, minus the .msnbin as that was deleted as per instructions.

You have an apostrophe in the name for mp3 file "we'll meet again - vera lynn.mp3" (MCU_TR_Media id 970). Do not include apostrophes in file names, MCU names, object names, etc. There may be issues with using other punctuation but I haven't come up with a list.

Here's the fixed mission:

FIXED - SCG's F.A.R.T. with Spitfire Mk Vb.zip

Edited by JimTM

I add, do not use space, apostrophe and long name in the file listed by Jim. It's a rule. It was the problem of Gambit too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Habu said:

I add, do not use space, apostrophe and long name in the file listed by Jim. It's a rule. It was the problem of Gambit too.

Cool! I didn't know this, but totally makes sense development wise.

Wonderful I shall try this - so the break has happened in the recent update then as this same named mission operated perfectly in 3.004. So Jim, how was it possible to fix the mission for me, which is a very great kindness, if it won't open in ME?

21 minutes ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Wonderful I shall try this - so the break has happened in the recent update then as this same named mission operated perfectly in 3.004. So Jim, how was it possible to fix the mission for me, which is a very great kindness, if it won't open in ME?

I opened the .mission file in NotePad++ and used the "divide and conquer" technique to find the problem. I've seen the apostrophe issue before, so I could have saved myself some time. In future, you can do a search for apostrophe ( ' ) in the .mission file.

Edited by JimTM

Yeah - Habu solved it for me.

My sound file naming convention caused no issues before, but the update didn’t like it.

Fine collective effort Gentlemen, thank you for your kind assistance. The mission works as designed and I will be more careful with sound file name additions for the MCUs in the future.

39 minutes ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Fine collective effort Gentlemen, thank you for your kind assistance. The mission works as designed and I will be more careful with sound file name additions for the MCUs in the future.

Glad to help MADOV.

8 hours ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Careful, it's not only the mp3 name. As Jim wrote, you have to respect that rule for all the name you use.

For the plane name, you can use space. ex : Plane 01 G01 will work

But for all external file which are link to the mission, respect the rule.

When you save your mission, i advise you to respect the rule, and don't use any space.

Understood Habu, I am grateful for the heads up. Means that mission names, media names, as you say, anything which connects to the mission file itself all have to conform to this rule. Point to note, thank you so much.

So, I suppose the other side of the coin for this little pita is that if you don't actually *have* the .mission files  (QuQi deleted them once they were put on), but only the .msnbin and lang files, you're pretty much boned...   ☹️😡

I still dont get how to resave my files so they work.

I run a basic training server for EAF and currently it is down due to this error.

Edited by EAF_Starfire

1 hour ago, EAF_Starfire said:

I still dont get how to resave my files so they work.

I run a basic training server for EAF and currently it is down due to this error.

Assuming that the apostrophe character is causing your problem:

1. Backup your .mission file.

2. Open your .mission file in NotePad++ (free download).

3. Search for the apostrophe character ( ' ) and remove all instances of it.

If the character is in a media file name, such as an MP3, you must rename the file too.

4. Save the .mission file and then open it in the editor.

Edited by JimTM

I had no apostrophes, but some commas which caused the problem.

Worked fine (which is why I didn't think it was an issue) until the update.

Live and learn. All MP3 titles Should_Look_Like_This

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JimTM said:

Assuming that the apostrophe character is causing your problem:

1. Backup your .mission file.

2. Open your .mission file in NotePad++ (free download).

3. Search for the apostrophe character ( ' ) and remove all instances of it.

If the character is in a media file name, such as an MP3, you must rename the file too.

4. Save the .mission file and then open it in the editor.

Hi JimTM

Thanks for helping out.

I tried removing the ' in the mission files, but still no luck.

BTW. I have not used any multimedia files in my missions.