HagarTheHorrible

FC early access in VR

Anyone with a Vive (not pro) and 1080 ti or similar GPU able to share their graphics settings for balanced smooth/quality VR gameplay? Also, any adjustments to SteamVR settings?

Yann,

for Steam VR:

Applications tab - Application Resolution Adjustment - 100%

Video tab - Application Resolution - 180%

Developer tab - Allow Asynchronous reprojection (its newer then Interleaved, don't use both)

IL-2 Graphics:

High setting

Shadows high

Landscape filter blurred

Sharp  effect on

4k textures

That's what I remember now. Later I will complete.

Just spotted my first whiff of Flying Circus today... then when i saw it was related to ROF and had VR support it was a no brainer instant purchase. D'ling now!!

On 7/23/2018 at 2:57 AM, BeastyBaiter said:

Yes. Disabling hud ("h" key) turns off icons, the little compass, engine notifications (e.g. "throttle: 99%) and most other overlay stuff.

I turned it on and now I get all the information I need. Thanks!

On 7/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, 4driano said:

Yann,

for Steam VR:

Applications tab - Application Resolution Adjustment - 100%

Video tab - Application Resolution - 180%

Developer tab - Allow Asynchronous reprojection (its newer then Interleaved, don't use both)

IL-2 Graphics:

High setting

Shadows high

Landscape filter blurred

Sharp  effect on

4k textures

That's what I remember now. Later I will complete.

Thanks. Just had a chance to check this out. Very good settings which work wonderful.

What about the screen resolution setting. Is there a difference with FPS if I set it to smaller resolutions? I'm averaging about 45 to 70 depending on how close to the ground I get.

Yann,

I perceived nothing, in regard to FPS gain, with different screen resolutions. Leave it the same size as your normal resolution cause if you scale it down you will have difficulties with your mouse pointer.

The 45 to 70 average is more or less the same for me.

As far as I understand the asynchronous reprojection will keep some kind of fake 90 fps. If your system can not keep 90 it will render 45 and put more 45, derived from those ones, in between, I guess.

But why it shows 70 in this case I don't know.

Posted (edited)

I really wanna buy VR now!! It's way way out of my budget though. Oh well 😔😔😔

Hopefully it becomes cheaper in the next little while.

S! 

Edited by Stumble

Wetware implants. Plug into the main line old chap! : - )

S! P

On 7/23/2018 at 1:37 AM, Stumble said:

What exactly is it that makes VR so expensive!? I've had a look online but they're all at crazy prices. What an I missing?

S!

Stumble.

If you can wait a bit the 2nd generation should be along soon,You should then be able to pick up a good used 1st gen up for about half price,

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, kunterbunt said:

I turned it on and now I get all the information I need. Thanks!

Hi. The Hud realy hurts the FPS. I do not recommend flying whit it all the time. You can get the "red and blue" icons, and heading direction even if the hud is disabled, just by pressing "I" (for Icons :) ) 

Was reading the other day that the 2nd Gen Headsets won't be along till 2020. Also, the new generation of Nvidia cards have a special VR port so you can bet that Rift 2 and Vive 2 will use these new ports.

If there is anyone out there waiting to jump on board VR, just do it! I use Rift and Skylake/1080 and have a blast everytime I play. If I didnt have a headset and had an older card (9xxx series and lower) then I would be saving up for the 20xxx series GPU, then (depending on when you buy) get the headset.

Been and racer and flyer since old DOS days.  Tried VR racing first and as I really really really feared I can't go back to monitor racing again......😎  It's just too assume to race in VR even with a slight give on graphics.  And guess what?  The same with flying.  So far FC is just as awesome it is just SOOO much more realistic even compared to a monitor and Trackir, apples an oranges.  Doing loop overs and tracking a train or convoy and doing slashing attacks. Dog fighting and REALLY looking over your shoulder and tracking instead of padlocks to try and keep up with the enemy.  I still do some FSX flying but FC has got me back into combat flying!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Okay, so this is an old topic, but...  I fly IL-2 (and FC) exclusively in VR these days. Mainly because IL-2 is the best-optimized combat flight sim engine for VR. And IMO, World War I open-cockpit aircraft are not only one of the best flight sim experiences in VR, but one of the best VR experiences, period (helicopters being a close second).

• The slower speeds and closer ranges of WWI air combat make the reduced resolution of current-gen VR much less of a liability.
  • Looking around the wings of a biplane / triplane is much easier in VR. They are much less of a visibility obstacle than they are on a 2D screen, and it is much more natural than with TrackIR.
  • The simple instrumentation also makes readability with current-gen VR less of a problem.
  • The open cockpit and smaller planes means you can really look around and enjoy all the details of your aircraft in VR. You can see everything. :)
  • Landing and taxiing is so much easier in VR. This is true in pretty much any aircraft in any era, but many WW1 & WW2 warbirds are particularly challenging without VR. I suspect that the newer / next-gen headsets with wider FOV will make this even better.
  • While perhaps slightly too confining, the limited FOV simulates the effect of wearing goggles pretty believably

Anyway, I'm a big fan. The only damper on my fun is that extended dogfights can make me (believably) sick. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_dude13 said:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but how does one handle keyboard controls using VR? S!

Bind them to your HOTAS

You don't need that many for FC anyway.

Well ... the essential controls are, but (it's been a while since I've flown RoF) there were some that couldn't be from what I remember. What do WW2 fliers do with all the extra controls? S!

8 minutes ago, the_dude13 said:

Well ... the essential controls are, but (it's been a while since I've flown RoF) there were some that couldn't be from what I remember. What do WW2 fliers do with all the extra controls? S!

You can put all controlls to buttons on your hotas and most Hotas can even simulate keyboard imputs. So basicaly you get one with as many buttons as possibe. I have recentley bought a switboard. To differentiate Buttons i have glued differently textured surfaces (rubber, metal, cloth,ect.)on the switches to find the right one blindly. 

On 8/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, GrinderX9 said:

Hi. The Hud realy hurts the FPS. I do not recommend flying whit it all the time. You can get the "red and blue" icons, and heading direction even if the hud is disabled, just by pressing "I" (for Icons :) ) 

That's one example ... how do u find "i" with your headset on?!

20 minutes ago, the_dude13 said:

Bind to hostas or use voice to activate this . Easy 

On the recent SteamVR version, is there a way to change the reprojection? Back then I could change it to asynchronous, but now it's always on. Seems like asynchronous is not an option in the Developer tab anymore .

2 hours ago, the_dude13 said:

on my CH throttle+fighterstick combo, I can map all the esential controls for WW2 planes.

FC is a lot easier: mixture, radiator, blip switch, reload guns.

Thanks, Joch. I have a FFB2 (7 buttons + hat + throttle + trigger ... if my memory is correct) and a 3 lever CH throttle with 6 buttons. I think I was able to map all the flight controls, but not all of the game management, like cameras and recording options. I think I needed the keyboard for managing the Gotha as well.

I suppose it's not as big of a deal as I thought. I can't wait to give VR a go! 🙂

S!

• Like 1

VR is a blast, best gaming investment I ever made.

I find FC is also a lot more immersive than WW2 IMHO.   Easier to see and spot in the open cockpits, slower speeds, simpler control panel. 

The Camel can really give you motion sickness though when you push it to the limit...but its a blast! 😎

• Thanks 1

If you're in VR and you don't have enough buttons, you should look at VoiceAttack. You don't have to use voice commands; you can also map commands to joystick keys.   I "wrote" a profile where one button sets the hat switch in different modes (pitch trim, temp, mix, flaps, etc). I cycle through my mode list and pick which one I want and the hat switch controls that function. For example, if I pick pitch mode, pressing the hat forward will trim the nose down and pulling it back trims it up. I can then switch to mix mode and the same hat up does richer and hat down does leaner. I also have another button that changes the mode of the trigger from regular guns to rockets and then bombs. I use a button to select the mode because my diction isn't the clearest but if you speak clearly you could change modes with your voice. Using VoiceAttack this way has revolutionized my flying in VR. I now do engine management because I don't have to be searching through multiple buttons to determine what I want to do. I uploaded a profile of this approach to the VR area of IL-2 if you want to use it as a starting point.

• Thanks 1

That sounds like an awesome method, Muff_Huggar. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into it when I make the move to VR. S!

I only fly in VR now. It’s what I dreamed of as a boy and a giant man boy.

Does anyone have GFX and steam VR settings tips for the Oculus Rift to help sharpen objects and make aircraft identification easier? 

1 hour ago, Waggaz said:

I only fly in VR now. It’s what I dreamed of as a boy and a giant man boy.

Does anyone have GFX and steam VR settings tips for the Oculus Rift to help sharpen objects and make aircraft identification easier? 

not sure but have a look at this 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:45 AM, the_dudeWG said:

I'm assuming that you don't have VR based on this question (and others you've asked so far).  I don't have experience with other headsets - I have an Oculus Rift.  The rift headset's nose area is slightly more open and doesn't sit flush with your face.  So what I do is map all my important "must have" buttons to my HOTAS setup (I have a CH Pro setup - Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and the CH Combatstick) - guns, bombs, mixtures, prop control, trim, gear, flaps, even nav lights.  I leave everything that isn't really "must have" to the keyboard, like track recording, pause, etc.  When I need to hit a key on the keyboard, because of the slight gap in the nose part of the headset, I just tilt my head and glance under the headset - you can glimpse the keyboard, find the key you need, and hit it.

Some of the newer headsets, like the HTC Vive Pro, actually have little cameras in the front of the headset that allow you to bring up a small window in VR and see in front of you also (and there are small hardware options now that can attach to earlier headsets, like the Oculus, that do it, but I can't recall at the moment the brands).

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2018 at 11:09 PM, Dutch2 said:

When this game is complete or nearly, I hope by that time the Samsung Odyssey VR will be solt in the Eurozone.

So I got one its the plus version did buy this at the Blackfriday deal for $299- using the Big Apple Buddy provider, think finally it wil be around €450 to €500 including tax/shipment/fee. Still waiting for final the Tax bill.  

To get it running is very complex, but the results are great, very immerse flying now. I feel the blood in my legs when diving or become dizzy when doing quick manoeuvres. Unlike TrackIR5, finding this a handy gadget but this TrackIR was for me not a real big game changer, this VR application is more on the same level as changing from a keyboard to an Joystick, so yep for me a real big game changer. 

So If you do have the time, go to an VRarcade hall or a demo at your local store like the Mediamarket in the Eurozone and see for your self. If testing just take a close look at the fit, FOV, godsrays and pixels and with the budget, decide on what is most important for you. For me after playing with the Rift and Vive, it was the pixels (SDE) I did see as most disturbing. 

BoX Adjustments as a sample I could not get it working on my VR gear, it did show on the monitor but no conection to the device, now being solved. 

Nothing on the VR headset or monitor when starting the computer, now I just unplug the USB from the headset before starting. 

No regonizing the headset by SteamVR,  solved because of the USBdriver from MSI was not the right one, it did need an Windows USBdriver. 

Still I do not have a mouse pointer, so can not select to start the game, just using the tab-key

No sound, so I use my mobilephone ear plugs, yep Windows should select the WMR-device as being selected but still no sound. Think it does need a Windows audio driver an not the one from my MSI motherboard. 

The VR sreen is looking rather pale, how to calibrate the VR screen to the right color. 

Sitting at the top of the fuselage when flying the Camel or sit at the floor in the Spad. 

Flying info and map just right in my field of view.

And ofcorse later comes the tweaking to get the max performance, because I only have an i7-7700k/GTX1080 combo.

Dutch:

re sound

I recently upgraded to an MSI MPG 2390 and experienced a great deal of vexation with sound issues after adding another USB device - in this instance a web cam, rather than a 

VR set.

The answer was to uninstall ALL the Realtek drivers supplied with the motherboard and let Windows 10 sort it out.

Don't let the Dragon software install them again.

Hope that helps!

Stuart