Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I used promo and bought via paypal. But no mail from 1C or paypal, no transaction on paypal, no new license in il2 profile. Voucher is invalid now. Did you get everything instantly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6./ZG76_Archie said:

 Don't forget to redeem your RoF promo code from the RoF website if you are eligible.

 

For those who don't know, to be eligible you have to have bought content at least five years ago. I have only one thing to say to that, and it will have to be said elsewhere.

 

Any word on how much the other modules will cost?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bisch said:

I used promo and bought via paypal. But no mail from 1C or paypal, no transaction on paypal, no new license in il2 profile. Voucher is invalid now. Did you get everything instantly?

Yes, instant email and license for me.Contact support.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 6./ZG76_Archie said:

Yes, instant email and license for me.Contact support.

Thanks for the reply! 

I already did so. Now I have to wait for Voucher being fixed. This makes me sad because this keeps me away from trying it out and I was so happy about the release :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found my five dollar coupon (for buying ROF many years ago).   But I thought there was a ten dollar 'early access' discount.   Which would knock it from $64 to $54.  

 

Am I mistaken in thinking that?   

 

Found the quote

 

'First, everyone who orders during the Early Access period gets a $10 discount off regular MSRP no matter what. ' 

 

But in my in-basket - no discount.   And BTW, $69 list for 'part 1' of a game - not cheap.   Worth it, but I was surprised by that price. 

Edited by Jodet
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Jodet said:

I found my five dollar coupon (for buying ROF many years ago).   But I thought there was a ten dollar 'early access' discount.   Which would knock it from $64 to $54.  

 

Am I mistaken in thinking that?   

 

That is the one I got, but I think it depends on when you got the game and how much stuff did you buy later on. I bought a boxed copy when it was out (sure hope this sweep map will still come in handy) and then bought almost all the content from the store.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jodet said:

But in my in-basket - no discount.   And BTW, $69 list for 'part 1' of a game - not cheap.   Worth it, but I was surprised by that price. 

 

Yes, the discount is already from 79$ to 69$ upon the purchase. You can't miss it (below).

 

2b2AZHi.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jodet said:

   And BTW, $69 list for 'part 1' of a game - not cheap.   Worth it, but I was surprised by that price. 

 

I'm getting mine on a dedicated, virgin email address, so it will be easier to sell-on if it's not for me. I commend the policy to all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The interface screens appear to be sized wrong on my 1920x1080 display - parts of them are not viewable/accessible.  

 

I eventually got into the cockpit by hitting enter a few times. 

 

Now that people are flying is there going to be a keyboard PDF to download?   That would be really nice.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoolSpy said:

I bought it but can't find the place to download the EARLY ACCESS ?!

 

There isn't a separate download. If You have BoX, it should update automatically when you run it, and any new content you have bought will be accessible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

good news: got a $15 promo code...

 

bad news: just realized I spent over $200 on RoF (kidding)

 

so do I understand there is no separate download and it just shows up in BoX steam install?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

good news: got a $15 promo code...

 

bad news: just realized I spent over $200 on RoF (kidding)

 

so do I understand there is no separate download and it just shows up in BoX steam install?

 

Yup.  That's how it worked for me. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I managed to squeeze in some minutes in my tight schedule. Let's call it an early impressions review. Please note this is from someone that has played the crap out of ROF, though mostly in SP, but not a WWI flight sim expert, or even someone that expected much from this very early release (which is super is btw).

 

This is my very brief review after just one dogfitht. First of all there are some new controls to bind, if you haven't played ROF before - there is the altitude throttle which is named as sort of a placeholder, thought the axis bind section clearly mentions this as being for the Fokker VII, then there is the throttle blip which I assume will be used by some planes later that don't have an actual throttle (it's an engine cut off switch, working sort of like a clutch in a car), but again none of the planes now use it, so the one and only bind you will probably want to make is the gun reload, which should come in handy if you get a jam (did not happen to me though).

 

How does it fly and feel? I took the Spad and handed the Fokker over to the AI. Handling-wise it's ROF basically. I kept habitually trimming the plane, but nothing happened, yup trimmers weren't invented yet. Same goes for prop pitch. What is handy though is the mixture and radiator control. The Spad uses the water rad and that is all there is, fully open by default, so I took it down to 35% for the fight. Mixture stayed 80-ish, you probably can get a few RPMs from adjusting it perfectly to the altitude, but ain't nobody got time for that. The rest is pure arcade-style action like your daddy played in them 90's hunting for the Red Baron in Kinghts of the Sky on the Amiga. Immediately I remembered why I loved ROF - it's uncomplicated, unadulterated action, but with a realistic FM. Pretty awesome!

 

So how was the fight? Well it pleases me to say, that on vetaran difficulty, the AI is pretty good, but no as OP as in some versions of ROF. Keeping my cool, I was able to outmanoeuvre the more nimble Fokker and get a few rounds on target. Ammo is a-plenty, so you need to be more trigger happy than BOS, but damage is also quite shit and the groupings are... non existent. Spray and pray, my dudes.

 

What sort of disappointed me was the damage model, I think they haven't really ported all that good stuff from ROF. I have seen hitmarks on the enemy plane, but no holes or fires, a small stream of fuel or something was all and after running dry I decided to head out of Dodge to the nearest field. Right before landing, I got a message that I downed the Fokker. Touching down was a bit of a struggle, the default cockpit view, even with TrackIR is a pain to see all them dials, so I was feeling it basically. With some last minute aileron and rudder corrections I managed to touch down with both wheels (ain't no tailwheel in this bitch) and remembering to always keep the throttle about 30% to maintain some rudder authority, I stopped without any Tokyo-drift shenanigans (ain't no brakes in this bitch to, yo). The same minute that damn Fokker plopped right next to me, barely folding a wing.

 

So my conclusions. At this point, it's a tech demo. There is nothing spectacular about it and some of the outstanding features of ROF, like the DM, seem very muted. Quality of life stuff, like the tech chat make flying a lot easier, but at the same time, this is a great introduction to noobs to the genre, since you can realy go full real and still just learn as you go, without much knowledge, since those kites are super fun and super easy to fly. Provided you got a rudder - yaw is king for turning here, roll sucks balls. Definitely though, flying a kite like this is much more engaging and well, just boyish fun compared to what one can be used to with WWII stuff.

 

My gripes? We've seen this all before and while we get the new engine and obviously a lot of stuff will be improved, my worries are it will take a long time and a lot of moneys to get to the good stuff - the most fun I had in ROF was flying them bombers and a tight formation of flying boats online with those early bazookas or whatever it's called was king. Season 1 though is going to be all about fighters, but I think that with at least the Camel, Spad and DVII, it's going to be a lot of fun, provided they get porting them awesome ROF features right. The rest of the content should be easy to transfer, though I do think, that they could go down on the price a bit (I know, small market, need moneys, yadda yadda).

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mmaruda said:

then there is the throttle blip which I assume will be used by some planes later that don't have an actual throttle (it's an engine cut off switch, working sort of like a clutch in a car), but again none of the planes now use it

 

It's used by all rotary planes, which includes the Dr.I. :) 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

It's used by all rotary planes, which includes the Dr.I. :) 

 

 

Ah you are right, I was a long time, though I never used it much outside of... what was it? The pusher thing? Yeah, it's been at least three yeas since I played a WWI sim and probably like 20 since I have read anything on the subject or put a model together.

Link to post
Share on other sites

..ah yes the blipper!  landing a Nieuport 17 using just a blipper to control speed, especially with the old FMs...those were the days.

 

p.s. - just want to post my appreciation for the promo codes. I was not expecting it, but it is a very classy move to add a little sweetener for the early RoF "investors". :dance:

Edited by Sgt_Joch
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stampede! * sound of hooves, chickens clucking, springs springing and breeches being pulled on *

 

FIRE ! no...

 

FLOOD! nope.

 

FEAR AND PANIC ! maybe...

 

PIRANHA! Ah, no.

 

FOKKERS ! why, yes.... I'll take two thanks don't bother wrapping them. Ta.

 

Salute!  ( Just woke up to the commotion...what the...)

 

Planky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

 

There isn't a separate download. If You have BoX, it should update automatically when you run it, and any new content you have bought will be accessible.

 

Presumably you're referring to the Steam version. Can anyone confirm that the non-Steam version is entirely stand-alone, requiring no other BoX components to be owned or present?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

 

Presumably you're referring to the Steam version. Can anyone confirm that the non-Steam version is entirely stand-alone, requiring no other BoX components to be owned or present?

 

No, I'm not specifically referring to Steam. As for FC (which I assume you are referring to), as far as I'm aware it is just like any other part of the BoX series: there is only one application, which includes all the content. What you pay for is the ability to access specific maps, and to fly specific aircraft. Nothing in the series is 'stand-alone'.  

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

 

No, I'm not specifically referring to Steam. As for FC (which I assume you are referring to), as far as I'm aware it is just like any other part of the BoX series: there is only one application, which includes all the content. What you pay for is the ability to access specific maps, and to fly specific aircraft. Nothing in the series is 'stand-alone'.  

 

In that case, given that I have no other BoX products nor therefore the BoX engine itself, I must have to download the latter. Presumably I will be instructed to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

2b2AZHi.jpg

Reading a few posts, it's already a confusing day for lots of folks here, so better not to 'cross the streams' and add to it my friend.  That game above is discounted alright, and a great choice, but THIS is the one the ROF discount code applies to (if you bought that content before 2014):

gCY9M2q.gif

 

12 hours ago, Jodet said:

Found the quote :

'First, everyone who orders during the Early Access period gets a $10 discount off regular MSRP no matter what. ' 

But in my in-basket - no discount.   And BTW, $69 list for 'part 1' of a game - not cheap.   Worth it, but I was surprised by that price. 

It's pretty standard for this team from early days to offer a modest discount like this for all Early Access releases.  Also, the releases today are priced the same or very close to the same as all the earlier releases were on day 1 (deluxe versions at least; standard versions are usually $30 less).  So, nothing really new about today's releases.

 

12 hours ago, Mmaruda said:

That is the one I got, but I think it depends on when you got the game and how much stuff did you buy later on.

Exactly.  All the detail can be found on today's release announcement.  Whatever ROF content you bought prior to 2014 counts toward your discount code.  If you disagree with the value of the code, they've already written to just email tech help & they'll work with you (not sure it's worth troubling over $5-$15, but anyway...).

If you want to see how much your code is worth, you'll can add Flying Circus to your cart in the IL-2 store, then enter the code & hit "apply."  You can then back out of the purchase if you like, but you'll know what the code will save you until Sept 14th.

Edited by =FI=Blue2
sentence correction
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...