Jason_Williams

Game version 3.005 discussion: Flying Circus, Tank Crew, Fw 190 A-8

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Not easy. Extremely difficult to do. Complicated transmissions these tanks had and to try and force users to manage them the same way will tie up my lead programmer for weeks when he has other items to work on. Maybe in the future, but I can't make any promises. 

Jason

Im sorry so say but that is a warning sign to me that you may be taking on too much and may be being too ambitious. I know you like to do things right with a high level of simulation (like the gyro sight WOW)  but could you imagine a race sim without gears....  tanks are more complex than a race sim in some ways because you have the combat side of things to sim as well, but still this is a stand alone TANK sim so I would expect something like manual gears as a basic feature. I guess it is because you are reverse engineering TC from the plane engine. If I was making a tank sim from scratch full vehicle dynamics would be at the start but you are doing it backwards so...If you want a stand alone tank sim to bring in people you will need more depth for driving the thing.

Peace out I love you guys but dont take on too much  x 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Vandal said:

Please remove the gun tubes from the primary cannon sights.  Real tanks would never allow the cannon to obscure the view through the sights.  The sights have a very narrow FOV that

wouldn't allow it.  It's arcade and unnecessary.  I hope we're not aiming for a BF3 level of realism :)   BTW, I was an Abrams tank crewman for four years.

Depends on the gunsight, if it has a wide enough field of view then the cannon can be visible if it's coaxially mounted. So it would be a matter of the gunsights in game having their correct magnification and field of view, which I dont know.

For example these are a couple pictures from BTR-80 gunsight and with their wide field of view the gun barrel of the 14.5mm is visible.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/USSR/photos/1pz-7_1.2x_gunsight.jpg

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3503/seralaboss.1/0_11f65_731732f3_XL

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Finally got a chance to get on a practice server with a couple of guys and be part of a tank crew.  All I can say is that this is going to be very fun.  I'm definitely going to need to practice with the range estimation and gunnery.  When TC was first announced, I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical, but I'm glad I have it now.

What were the changes to bullet damage calculations? Anyone have any insight?

26 minutes ago, StickMan said:

What were the changes to bullet damage calculations? Anyone have any insight?

Only that people - including me in some tests - are reporting that wings seem to have become far easier to remove. Hard to tell if it has affected anything else.

20 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

An experienced pilots' Dr1 fell to bits diving on me last night, thought that was strange with no other planes around and no ground fire on the map.

Never saw that happen in RoF much, if ever.

But then again I always thought the RoF Dr1 was a bit too tough..

Me and Mitra had an almost vertical dive in the DR1 for a good while, I never thought it would hold. 

10 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Complicated transmissions these tanks had and to try and force users to manage them the same way will tie up my lead programmer for weeks when he has other items to work on.

A manager went to his programmers and told them: "As regards to your work hours: you are going to have to come in at nine in the morning and leave at five in the afternoon." At this, all of them became angry and several resigned on the spot.

So the manager said: "All right, in that case you may set your own working hours, as long as you finish your projects on schedule." The programmers, now satisfied, began to come in at noon and work to the wee hours of the morning.

(The Tao of Programming, http://www.mit.edu/~xela/tao.html)

• Confused 1

The real Tiger's and Panther's magnification allegedly was so high that it became problematic fighting at point blank range with them. 

The reports by the Panther Commander of the famous Panther vs Sherman + Pershing battle at the Cathedral of Cologne states that issue, as well as account by Wittmann who'd compare the StuG to the Tiger 1.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

18 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Depends on the gunsight, if it has a wide enough field of view then the cannon can be visible if it's coaxially mounted. So it would be a matter of the gunsights in game having their correct magnification and field of view, which I dont know.

For example these are a couple pictures from BTR-80 gunsight and with their wide field of view the gun barrel of the 14.5mm is visible.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/USSR/photos/1pz-7_1.2x_gunsight.jpg

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3503/seralaboss.1/0_11f65_731732f3_XL

I'm pretty sure I said "primary cannon sights" and a BTR-80 is not a tank.  It's an infantry fighting vehicle.  Apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, Vandal said:

I'm pretty sure I said "primary cannon sights" and a BTR-80 is not a tank.  It's an infantry fighting vehicle.  Apples and oranges.

Its not about if its a tank or an IFV, or if they have cannons, heavy mgs, howitzers, etc, its about optics with objects mounted close to them. 

If you check RoflSeal's post above yours looks like while in game the gunsight has a too wide field of view, with the correct field of view you would still be able to see the cannon through the gunsight, at least in its low zoom setting. 

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

Hello Everybody,

The game has been updated to version 3.005c. This is a minor update:

1) Sound positioning and volume has been updated for all aircraft;
2) Pistols won't inflict incorrectly high damage anymore;
3) A possible cause of a random server crash has been addressed;
4) Mission resaver utility has been updated.

We're also working on some changes to the Netcode at a fundamental level to hopefully address some crashes and server load issues. However, these changes need to be thoroughly checked in a Beta version first. Hopefully we'll be able to include them in the next major release assuming they make a positive impact.

:good:

Getting it now, thank you so much! Especially on the sound!!

16 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

Hello Everybody,

We're also working on some changes to the Netcode at a fundamental level to hopefully address some crashes and server load issues. However, these changes need to be thoroughly checked in a Beta version first. Hopefully we'll be able to include them in the next major release assuming they make a positive impact.

Man, I was just on the six of a 109 and about to take that kill shot!!!!   Then the server went down...  I’m so happy to have read this :) 

thank you!!!

19 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

Best news this year! :)

• Upvote 1

Nice! Thank you guys! Sever and mission stability are things wich need love! Also the Netcode! 😍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

We're also working on some changes to the Netcode at a fundamental level to hopefully address some crashes and server load issues.

kiss-and-thank-you-smiley-emoticon.gif

If that works, may I marry you?

:drinks:

Mike

• Haha 1

S!

Awesome! Now our server ("Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War") is back online.

But but... my game won't start :( ... When I try to start, screen goes black, logo appears, and BAM, back on desktop. No error messages 😮

EDIT:
Umm... seems TS3 notifier related. When I (or someone else) speaks, game crashes.
EDIT EDIT:
Yup, TS3 notifier was the culprit... disabled it, everything ok.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

Man, I was just on the six of a 109 and about to take that kill shot!!!!   Then the server went down...  I’m so happy to have read this :) 

thank you!!!

Hmm, that was exactly opposite situation, You had a six Bf109 on your tail, so you were very lucky that server stopped. 

😛😂😂

• Haha 1

Thanks for the hotfixes and I'm very excited about the prospects of improved multiplayer performance. Fingers crossed for you guys!

55 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

Hello Everybody,

Nice!

Edited by AtomicP
Sound issue on all games ;(

:good:

Great update to the sound guys, my Spit is rumbling once again!

Thank you!!

Haven't gotten a chance to download it and try it out, but thanks for the quick hotfix.  You guys are awesome.

4 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

Hello Everybody,

@Sneaksie I am happy to offer my test server as testing sample for higher latency (Australia based) for the netcode update testing if you guys want. PM me and we can arrange something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the update. 3.005c if I  am not mistaken. :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

On 7/23/2018 at 10:55 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Not easy. Extremely difficult to do. Complicated transmissions these tanks had and to try and force users to manage them the same way will tie up my lead programmer for weeks when he has other items to work on. Maybe in the future, but I can't make any promises. 

Jason

well In war thunder you can  have  Manual Transmissions....  Im looking forward to see your version of it  if we one day get one

In T-34 vs. Tiger the keys W and S are for higher/lower gear, and then you have two keys for increasing/decreasing RPM and one key for max. RPM. Unfortunately the keys for increasing and decreasing power don't work too good, but the system itself is pretty handsome.

19 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

Hello Everybody,

finaly bathered to updated game to this last patch, and now i have this problem on my win 10 pc ( win 7 pc works ok) i see other people got with patches before, any fixes found for it, or ill just have to do 1-2 more clicks when starting game from now on :)

Edited by 77.CountZero

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

finaly bathered to updated game to this last patch, and now i have this problem on my win 10 pc ( win 7 pc works ok) i see other people got with patches before, any fixes found for it, or ill just have to do 1-2 more clicks when starting game from now on :)

I have windows 10 and the exact same issue.  Wish dev team would fix.  Hate bugs right from the start!

after some truble shooting, it seams that reason i was having this error is that if i have youtube video running when i try to lanch game it does not log me in automaticly, but if i close it and run my game then ,all works fine without this error, strange as hell, i have 25MB download and 5MBupload on net , and even 1 min youtube video of 144p quality coases this error on my win 10 pc. But before last patch i run youtube videos without this error on log in.

i try 10 times now, and every time i dont have youtube video running game log in ok, but every time i have anykined of youtube in background i get error on log in. So its not big problem now when i know whats coasing it, but strangest bug i had for sure :)

maybe they decresed some time limit for automatic conection ( or security checks they run are more heavy now and analaise more data then before) and thats coasing the problem when data is being transfered and something els is also using internet bandwidth at that time?

Edited by 77.CountZero

21 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

after some truble shooting, it seams that reason i was having this error is that if i have youtube video running when i try to lanch game it does not log me in automaticly, but if i close it and run my game then ,all works fine without this error, strange as hell, i have 25MB download and 5MBupload on net , and even 1 min youtube video of 144p quality coases this error on my win 10 pc. But before last patch i run youtube videos without this error on log in.

i try 10 times now, and every time i dont have youtube video running game log in ok, but every time i have anykined of youtube in background i get error on log in. So its not big problem now when i know whats coasing it, but strangest bug i had for sure :)

maybe they decresed some time limit for automatic conection ( or security checks they run are more heavy now and analaise more data then before) and thats coasing the problem when data is being transfered and something els is also using internet bandwidth at that time?

Might just be Windows 10 trying to maintain 'focus' on the youtube video and screwing up the authentication. After some recent windows updates I've found it harder to tab out of Sturmovik than before, things get all flickery and don't work properly. Kind of a pain but I think it is a windows-side thing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Might just be Windows 10 trying to maintain 'focus' on the youtube video and screwing up the authentication. After some recent windows updates I've found it harder to tab out of Sturmovik than before, things get all flickery and don't work properly. Kind of a pain but I think it is a windows-side thing.

yes you could be right, as i try to download some skins while im starting the game to see if stresing net is problem but i could log in without error.

But just runing youtube video and trying to log in i get error every time.

I just finished, yesterday, re-saving all the missions and Campaigns I have in the Box series. Can we please get an explanation of how the Mission Saver Tool was updated?

Do I need to re-save all of my Campaigns and missions again????😬

S!Blade<><

On 7/23/2018 at 11:55 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Dear Jason, pay attention to this.
It is possible that among these and these people there are many who have refrained from buying the game due to the lack of important simulation things, including manual gear changes on tanks.

Of course, the game is interested in the fact that in many moments turned out to be something very unique, but I would like more movement towards the simulator combat vehicle.
Some screenshots surprise with their realism

1.thumb.jpg.c73a54481db130d5acd4f40be3966529.jpg2.thumb.jpg.19c3584a6cd01014c53cefeea2c82198.jpg2.jpg.1ba7b2dc42a14ff7bbdb3b5fca7fff4e.thumb.jpg.794b5904a44d6794b63c9d1847cdb970.jpg3.jpg.511232f5d2d2e96e82e205e207d3881c.thumb.jpg.c94290a6ff5415b49fe236346130be02.jpg

1 hour ago, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

Some screenshots surprise with their realism

Reveal hidden contents

1.thumb.jpg.c73a54481db130d5acd4f40be3966529.jpg2.thumb.jpg.19c3584a6cd01014c53cefeea2c82198.jpg2.jpg.1ba7b2dc42a14ff7bbdb3b5fca7fff4e.thumb.jpg.794b5904a44d6794b63c9d1847cdb970.jpg3.jpg.511232f5d2d2e96e82e205e207d3881c.thumb.jpg.c94290a6ff5415b49fe236346130be02.jpg

-> I agree to more movement towards the simulator combat vehicle.

BTW the screenshots are far away from realism compared to real tanks

Tank Main Gun fireing.jpg

• Confused 1

Looks close enough to me.

And no farther away in realism than BOX clouds are from real clouds.

• Upvote 1