Jason_Williams

Game version 3.005 discussion: Flying Circus, Tank Crew, Fw 190 A-8

Grabbed FC. Cant afford tanks yet.

No ww1 MP mission up as yet, hurry up hosters!

Is it normal behaviour for the DR1 to just want to pull up vertical all the time? Thing is mad uncontrollable. SPAD is fine.

8 minutes ago, Space_Ghost said:

Unfortunately, no...

Not even bothering with a simple change log is pretty disappointing.

I assumed they were too busy getting this to us (and a change-log might come later). Internal change-logs and public change-logs are quite different (i.e. edited to be less technical).

2 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

Tanks need to have their own control section IMO

I agree. Or at least a simple PDF file with the controls for download. Or better yet, included with the patch. 😐

13 minutes ago, eRoN said:

Is it normal behaviour for the DR1 to just want to pull up vertical all the time? Thing is mad uncontrollable. SPAD is fine.

Yeah that's pretty much the norm...lots of forward stick to fly level.

Well, I just tried Tank Crew in VR... it's very disappointing.

Visually quite good, nicely modeled interiors but the lack of player body is very distracting (as usual in Il-2).

The mapping of VR to the virtual body is very clunky. When I look around from the commander hatch and simply turn my head from side to side, my body moves around laterally.

Also, the turret is unusable in VR: the sights don't work without going into gunsight mode, which leaves you with a scope view, completely pointless in VR. Also, when you rotate the turret without going into gunsight mode (where you can still see the tank interior), your body feels quite disconnected from the seat and tries to somehow follow the turret and not your seat.

Same goes for the radio operator: you can't really use the machine gun, plus the controls are mapped to move the 'crosshair' around, as opposed to moving the gunbutt, basically inversing all controls - feels very unnatural.

Feels like they just used the existing engine for the TC implementation of VR, adding nothing beyond 2 new models in the existing IL-2 engine - which is quite outrageous for $70. 

In its current state it's not worth the asking price and one can only hope they plan to change the current implementation - but it seems like fundamental engine limitations, so I'm not optimistic.

:(

2 minutes ago, Milopapa said:

Visually quite good, nicely modeled interiors but the lack of player body is very distracting (as usual in Il-2).

The mapping of VR to the virtual body is very clunky. When I look around from the commander hatch and simply turn my head from side to side, my body moves around laterally.

Also, the turret is unusable in VR: the sights don't work without going into gunsight mode, which leaves you with a scope view, completely pointless in VR. Also, when you rotate the turret without going into gunsight mode (where you can still see the tank interior), your body feels quite disconnected from the seat and tries to somehow follow the turret and not your seat.

Same goes for the radio operator: you can't really use the machine gun, plus the controls are mapped to move the 'crosshair' around, as opposed to moving the gunbutt, basically inversing all controls - feels very unnatural.

Feels like they just used the existing engine for the TC implementation of VR, adding nothing beyond 2 new models in the existing IL-2 engine - which is quite outrageous for $70. 

In its current state it's not worth the asking price and one can only hope they plan to change the current implementation - but it seems like fundamental engine limitations, so I'm not optimistic.

don't forget it's uber early days yet.

VR issues will/are being reported so expect tweaks as we go along.

2 hours ago, Alexmarine28 said:

While I resolved the previous problem I noted that the Gyro Gunsight of the Spitfire MkIX can't switch between the various mode anymore... I checked the key settings but they were fine. Someone else can check it too?

Confirmed, after latest update, the Mode-Switch isn't working anymore.

Just spent about 2 hours in VR FC. What an amazing, immersive and just plain fun experience - a simmer's dream come true. No issues with motion sickness, and I have average VR "legs" at best. The VR cockpits are things of beauty. A 4 vs 4 fight in overcast rainy weather was such a blast! I will so much be looking forward to regular updates and new planes. Well done Jason and devs! I'm going back in now...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

iNTERIOR sound of engine of planes have been reduced?.

Very significant silent in the I16 when in Cockpit.

Its weird and dont like it.

Was it intended?

• Upvote 2

Is it wrong that I have left reload / clear jam as middle mouse button specifically so it's not in easy reach or quick to do? #immersion.... 

Now I need to buy a fan... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Is it wrong that I have left reload / clear jam as middle mouse button specifically so it's not in easy reach or quick to do? #immersion.... 

Now I need to buy a fan... 

Map reload to a button.

10 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

iNTERIOR sound of engine of planes have been reduced?.

Very significant silent in the I16 when in Cockpit.

Its weird and dont like it.

Was it intended?

I sure hope it was not intentional and hope it gets addressed. 

38 minutes ago, Milopapa said:

TC is in early access, it's not a finished product.

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Map reload to a button.

I sure hope it was not intentional and hope it gets addressed. 

I doubt it's intentional I am sure it's a bug.

Still hoping for some VR head head limiter adjustments. Even just the forward boundary, so we can actually lean into the gunsight in multiplayer.

Edited by JonRedcorn

4 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

What Jason forgot to mention is that the update also added the official Battle of Kuban single player scenarios.

Damn it I knew I was forgetting something!!! Too crazy in the office today. :(

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

Map reload to a button

I think you misunderstood my post 😛

Preorder everything. Perfect. The only thing I would like to know, are there plans to improve the campaign?

1 minute ago, Diggun said:

I think you misunderstood my post 😛

It's only realistic if you unplug the mouse quite a bit of the time.

The magical consistently-unjammable-bullets and the mystical ever-oiled receiver were a little less prevalent than sims make them out to be.

• Haha 1

Ok so after spending some time a good part of the afternoon:

Flying Circus is gorgeous in VR!  Really neat to be sitting in these WWI crates with them full size, quite an experience.

Whilst the WWII birds will always be my first love, I will enjoy flying these kites a fair amount I am sure. Really looking forward to it getting completed over the upcoming months and eventually flying the Career Mode with them.  This up close and personal fighting is quite the experience.

Controls - obviously uses the same controller GUI as IL-2. The limitations are more noticeable in that one cannot adjust the curves to compensate for no trim like could be done in ROF.

Obviously with no more than these WWI birds have on  them, not much to map. My existing mapping for IL-2 worked just fine, just had to map the reload to a button to be able to reload my guns in the Spad. I do though still long for the day we might have individual plane setups. One can dream.

VR - for some reason VR is bothering me just a little more in these planes, I am sure because of all the twisting, turning, tight circle flying whilst diving and climbing. Had to take some breaks in between my quick missions. Was not as bad this last mission so like when I first got my Rift, I am sure I will adjust to it.

Performance - in 6 versus 6 quick missions over Lapino, my VR performance was superb! I was able to stay pretty much at 90 fps the bulk of the time. Not sure if that is related to the Lapino Map or the planes themselves or a combination, but very nice performance!

Sound - as has already been mentioned, engine sound is very quiet. I am sure that will get addressed soon.

Fantastic job on these great WWI birds in this sim, and into VR!

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Fantastic job on this early port of a couple of these great ROF birds into this sim, and into VR!

Don't call it a port please. Completely re-mastered planes except for the FM which was not necessary.

Jason

• Upvote 3

Champaigns and Missions  ..... maybe its only me  - I was startet with 'The Butcher '  ... but that' or other champaigns/missions that ppl have made , will not play ..

only these I paid for .... 

But maybe the update was a clean up - also  😪 

11 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Don't call it a port please. Completely re-mastered planes except for the FM which was not necessary.

Jason

:good:

Gotcha!

2 minutes ago, Jocassee said:

So there are no programmable response curves for Flying Circus?

You can certainly dial in an exponential curve, like less movement around center and increasing movement as it goes to extreme.

Can not move the curve up or down like you can in ROF to compensate for a plane's naturally climbing say at full throttle.

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

:good:

Gotcha!

You can certainly dial in an exponential curve, like less movement around center and increasing movement as it goes to extreme.

Can not move the curve up or down like you can in ROF to compensate for a plane's naturally climbing say at full throttle.

I would appreciate screenshots if you have time to post them.

Damn these Flying Circus airplanes look so much more better than Rise of Flight! I can't wait to see more!

FW 190 A8, fantastic! 😁

I can buy TC if the boundaries/rotation/angle stickiness in VR are fixed in the tanks, and also the boundaries in the planes (e.g. in Bf109 forward close to crosshair, Ju88 translational backwards, etc.) ;) 

I just wish you'd look into further improving VR support via whatever performance adjustment you deem right as well. Even in 2D the AMD users and future Intel users could benefit so much from more optimizations for multicore/-threading. Nag nag nag, I know. ;) 

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see the Tiger and glorious KV-1 in action. But now, onwards, Sturmjäger ! ! ! ! 😍

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Fw190_2.jpg

And go! another plane happily cut down. I really do not understand, all those who died in the front of these FW-190 probably made mistakes of stupid rookies. it must be the historical truth...

• Confused 2

Great update. But:

5 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Why MissionResaver.exe hasn't been updated as well???? DServer.exe will not load msbin files generated by older version of Missionresaver. 

This + 1000.

• Upvote 4

For those of you who are new to the planes in Flying Circus, check out Requiem's videos on the Spad XIII and the Fokker Dr1. There are videos on the upcoming planes here (however, not all the planes in the video list will be included in Flying Circus Vol. 1). 

Note that Requiem has been redoing some of his existing Rise of Flight videos in his IL-2 Sturmovik site.

Thanks Req!  :salute:

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 2

I am the only one having the game close itself every time I try to start a QMB? I tried several combinations of planes and maps and it always happen when I have in the mission either a G-6, a La-5FN or one of the three BOBP planes...

aha  ..... Problem fixed  ( about play ppl / not paid champaigns  ) 

go to game/bin/editor    .... and then STEditor.exe  ....tools / resave all missions in folder  ( the butcher ) 😁

• Confused 1

Imho the ROF skins look more realistic than the FC skins. The FC skins look like the surface of the planes has been treated with flintpaper.

Apparently after buying FC I'm unable to connect to any multiplayer server, besides being asked every time my login and password for steam integration ☹️

I tried it already in VR and it is just fantastic.

Flying in formation is smooth and fun.

Shooting those kites are tremendously fun!

Flying Circus is going to be a outstanding title.

I guess in online multiplayer those who have bad pings, as myself, since I play from Brazil, will not suffer as much cause the speed of the action is considerably lower. Am I right?

A question for anyone who might help. In VR, how can I communicate with the other players. What is being used?

Thanks Developers !

FW 190 A-8 has brutal armament cant wait to see B-25 in air 🤭

Edited by Godspeed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Error #10000 or black screen and CTD after loading tracks recorded prior to this update. Anyone else affected?

Man that 190F8 is just deadly. Also is it just me or do the 'splosions look better? 

15 minutes ago, 4driano said:

I tried it already in VR and it is just fantastic.

Shooting those kites are tremendously fun!

Flying Circus is going to be a outstanding title.

Agree, But I have a question. I shooted all the ammo into the triplane and he was still flying. They seems to be quite indestructible, right?

But its fun and with proper map to soak the atmosphere, FC will be top to fly !!!

55 minutes ago, Alexmarine28 said:

I am the only one having the game close itself every time I try to start a QMB? I tried several combinations of planes and maps and it always happen when I have in the mission either a G-6, a La-5FN or one of the three BOBP planes...

Same but only sometimes. Weird. 

• Sad 1