Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Nvidia getting ready for second generation VR with 1180?

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I wonder what will the true nature of that proprietary connector is going to be. However, just like with any other proprietary connector it's going to die its own slow death regardless of all the "benefits" it can bring.

The Rift has a proprietary connecter on it's HDMI cable.

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

The Rift has a proprietary connecter on it's HDMI cable.

yes, but HMD is a purposely built end-device that has only 1 main function so it's down to ergonomics, etc. The graphics  card on the other hand is an intermediate device that needs to interface with different components for different functionality.

it's the usual game from the hardware manufacturers: introduce a proprietary connector, receive exposure, "standardize" the connector, license it out. I can't name a single manufacturer who hasn't tried it. They all failed. Well.. except for Apple.. but they have their own country so that's cool..

On 7/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, moosya said:

yes, but HMD is a purposely built end-device that has only 1 main function so it's down to ergonomics, etc. The graphics  card on the other hand is an intermediate device that needs to interface with different components for different functionality.

it's the usual game from the hardware manufacturers: introduce a proprietary connector, receive exposure, "standardize" the connector, license it out. I can't name a single manufacturer who hasn't tried it. They all failed. Well.. except for Apple.. but they have their own country so that's cool..

It's supposed to be a type C usb cable is it not? Not really proprietary, more like they all agreed on adding this as the main way to use your VR hardware. Which would be nice. I am dying for a higher res headset, the odyssey isn't good enough compared to the rift to make me spend 400 on it. If I could find a odyssey for like 200 bucks for just the headset I'd buy it right now.

Edited by JonRedcorn

It's good that AMD is onboard with that connector.

Nvidia is the only company that has been pushing proper VR tech. 

AMD needs to follow suit or they lose track of Nvidia once again. All they did was slapping a sticker on some fake-tech (liquid-VR). God, I hope they do put up a fight, thus we see some more competition in this market as well. It's a good sign they stay in it by using the same connector in their next generation.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Well, it seems that we have to wait a bit less than I thought for new 11 series:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3036808/nvidias-gtx-1180-gpu-will-launch-ahead-of-gamescom-on-20-august

According to this leak the 1170 could be a good choice if prices doesn´t rise as performance...

https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-turing-gtx-1170-benchmark-leaked-faster-than-1080-ti/

Came on Oculus!!, don´t be short in resolution specs for your future CV2!!  Those cards will fly in 2K per eye or even 4K.

Wow if that pricing level is accurate going to be a bit steep. Lot more than I paid for my 1080 Ti anyway.

Hard to say if those cards will fly in VR at this point, hopefully though will be much better. The big change for VR will come with future tech like foveated rendering and eye tracking. It certainly is a very good thing that VR is getting this kind of attention from Nvidia.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:37 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's good that AMD is onboard with that connector.

Nvidia is the only company that has been pushing proper VR tech. 

AMD needs to follow suit or they lose track of Nvidia once again. All they did was slapping a sticker on some fake-tech (liquid-VR). God, I hope they do put up a fight, thus we see some more competition in this market as well. It's a good sign they stay in it by using the same connector in their next generation.

OK, sorry but are you for real here?  You call out AMD for not pushing proper VR Tech, in a thread that has proof that AMD are part of a consortium who are pushing proper VR tech.  You even imply with your post that this was all Nvidia's idea and AMD only got involved at the last minute.  Yet upon even simple investigation it seems, Oculus, Valve, Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD are ALL part of this consortium.  Also stop please with the nonsense about Liquid VR being "fake", because it does actually work when implemented.

https://gpuopen.com/implementing-liquidvr-affinity-multigpu-in-serious-samvr/

The real thing holding back VR is that most major games developers are not supporting VR at all, let alone investing time and resources to implement either Nvidia VRworks, or AMDs LiquidVR in any great numbers (if at all).  The problem isn't any lack of AMD goodness for VR compared to Nvidia, it is the fact that VR is still a niche within a niche and most VR games are a simple "VR hack", or made by indie developers with very limited resources.

Edited by ICDP

...again 😩

Instead of all this talk, go compare AMD Liquidvr's tech to Nvidia's VRWorks. There's no doubt that this is primarily an issue concerning developers, we agree on that. Still, AMD doesn't bring the same weight to the table as Nvidia here. And that's bad.

Check out games that run on VRWorks like Eve Valkyrie as a prime example. The tech got patched in a year after release of the game btw. So the game wasn't initially written for it in mind. The point is, Nvidia is simply pushing R&D more. AMD are on the cost-leadership side in contrast, and for a long time pushed into the crypto miner market. Okay for them. Nvidia have some great tricks up their sleeve, and continue to develop for VR, to increase performance and finish new API packages. Should have seen the jump Valkyrie did , including new graphical features as well.

There is so much, yet Devs often ignore it. And some fanboys scream bloody murder "because you can't focus on one company's tech only". Well then that's the free market, if they bring a pudding to the table while the other side has a 3 story vanilla-cranberry cake with little figures on top while costing just 10% more, what does the smart VR-consumer take? 

If it was the other way around I'd support AMD. Currently - no. I can criticize them for slacking behind all I want, and justified.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf