LUZITANO

IL-2 Battle of Finland

We are waiting for the latest news! is there anything new?¬†ūüėÉ

On 4/19/2019 at 12:54 AM, MARK_II said:

We are waiting for the latest news! is there anything new?¬†ūüėÉ

Work is going on very good. We have 15 Finns now working mostly with the surface editing and they are creating Finnish and Karelian Isthmus countryside lanscape. The first 3D-models of Finnish countryside buildings are visible in the Mission Editor and more new 3D stuff is coming all the time. It takes at least one year more that the 300 km x 300 km map is ready done bacause we are doing this as a hobby and in our free times. But all the map making tools and methods (mostly with the Photoshop) are learned good and we can really make this map. Nothing more I can't tell... :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Thats good news, is that smaller area map still in plan ? 

It dosent have to be perfect, it will be great job just to see map of this size made by players added to game, there was few projects before but it seams theye were to big.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Thats good news, is that smaller area map still in plan ? 

It dosent have to be perfect, it will be great job just to see map of this size made by players added to game, there was few projects before but it seams theye were to big.

The whole map is about 350 x 350 km but the flyable area is 300 x 300 km. it isn't too big project to our team, because our 10 team members (+ me) are working with one 50 x 50 km square or more. Also 1/3 of the map is water and it needs only editing the coastlines to 1940's situation here and there. We have very precise Finnish land cover data for that work: swamps and rocks are there and we need only to edit farm field's, towns and villages to 1940's situation in Finland. 

We have also great old Finnish (1930's  -1940's)  maps (1: 20 000) from the Karelian Isthmus and  all around the North area of Lake Ladoga because they were part of Finland until 1944 when the war ends here. We have Open Street Map's water land cover data but everything else is hand work: swamps, farm fields, villages, rocks etc. With those old maps it is very nice work, because it is very historical job at the same time: We are actually making a very precise "Virtual Karelia" map from 1940's. ;) 

Here are couple of example maps which we use with this project. I have a HUGE old map database and the old Karelian maps are also free to download from our National Land Survey of Finland internet pages! :)

Karelian old maps example:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j-5OPBYUe0vlZwFA7e74w2hsFnX0jI0J

Finnish old maps example:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fozIO8EJ8_P7PVh8mwRbWxtfOYdCGDzm

NOTICE: If somebody knows where we can find precise 1:20 000 Russian maps from 1930's and 1940's (Leningrad Oblast and Estonia) we really need them on next Autumn!

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

I need to organize my suggestions. Hello, how many good news!

Well ... I need to write about the desert battles

What do you think about the list of airplanes for the Battle of Finland?

In my opinion the axis set is perfect with a multinational set, beautiful!

On the Soviets, should I add the P-40C? I'm organizing my desert battles, so I'm thinking about it

On 4/20/2019 at 8:00 PM, LLv44_Kanttori said:

NOTICE: If somebody knows where we can find precise 1:20 000 Russian maps from 1930's and 1940's (Leningrad Oblast and Estonia) we really need them on next Autumn!ÔĽŅ

There is an app of digital historical maps covering Estonia (and a bit of Russia) available here. 

For example, this link shows the 1:50 000 map from 1939, then if you zoom in on it, it turns into 1:25 000 map from 1948. If you keep zooming in, it will turn into 1:10 000 scale map, but that map is from the 80's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 12:05 AM, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

any update ....? :russian_ru:

:drinks:

I would like to know if it's going to be just a free map or they will be more like 3rd party developer. Would like to see it as full expansion with career and new planes. Ju87B2 would be great in there, so finally moscow would get one. Really weird to have moscow campaign without ju87 :mda:

• Upvote 2

I guess no news is good news.....nonetheless, some wip screenshots would be nice.‚ėļÔłŹ

Posted (edited)

Sorry but we have a deal with developers that we show ANY public screenshots with this map before it's time to it. :cray:

I can tell that our team has grown with one non-Finns 2D-artist and he starts to make landscape textures, mostly farm fields to the map. In this Autumn we are starting to texture fields and other nature textures in the Mission Editor and that is maybe the biggest job with this map. Thank God we have ten (10) Finns who are concentracing only to this work in their own 50km x 50 km map squares. I have planned that this stage is ready done in Autumn 2020. 

Last Spring I tested very much our lanscape textures with Mission Editor. I made pretty historical and authentic looking farm fields with small 400m x 400m field strips texture "bits" using old Finnish 1:20 000 maps from 1930 decade. But I also noticed that it's far too slow working method so we must make some compromises with the bigger textures and use them both. That's why we recruit a new talented 2D-artist to our team: we need much more natural looking Finnish small field strip textures and later also huge Russian collective farm fields. :)

We are looking for 3D artists!

New team members are accelerating the whole map production and that's why we are recruiting more people to make their own sectors with the map. In becoming September we need couple of good 3D-artists to make town buildings and common objects together our Finns 3D crew. If you are interested that unpaid voluntary work and our map project you can send me a P.M.  clicking that Messages icon on the top of this page. Then I can show you private screenshots what I have tested in last Spring with Mission Editor. I can also show our team's 3D-models because we have some Finnish coutryside houses already finished! ;)

Our 3D crew use some old version of 3ds Max software and they can tell more of the 3D stuff production those who want to join us. We are looking both experienced 3D-hobbyists and also professionals who are addicted with this great sim! :biggrin:  

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, InProgress said:

:drinks:

I would like to know if it's going to be just a free map or they will be more like 3rd party developer. Would like to see it as full expansion with career and new planes. Ju7B2 would be great in there, so finally moscow would get one. Really weird to have moscow campaign without ju87 :mda:

We have planned that it's a free map to all users as Velikie Luki. One of our main motivation is to get couple of most famous Finnish Air Force fighters as collector planes to this map: Brewster 239, Fiat G.50 and Curtiss Hawk 75A. But at first we must make this map so good both visual and functional that developers release it ... :)

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Great news. I hope you find some additional team members to speed up the map building process. Unfortunately I am very busy in my new job, otherwise I would have voluteered for texturing a map sector.

I know we have a number of community members with 3d modelling skills, but maybe it's necessary to make an announcement in the general discussion section to get their attention. There are few people who read this forum section.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

We have planned that it's a free map to all users as Velikie Luki. One of our main motivation is to get couple of most famous Finnish Air Force fighters as collector planes to this map: Brewster 239, Fiat G.50 and Curtiss Hawk 75A. But at first we must make this map so good both visual and functional that developers release it ... :)

So there is not much hope for career mode just like in Velikie Luki?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

Great news. I hope you find some additional team members to speed up the map building process. Unfortunately I am very busy in my new job, otherwise I would have voluteered for texturing a map sector.

I know we have a number of community members with 3d modelling skills, but maybe it's necessary to make an announcement in the general discussion section to get their attention. There are few people who read this forum section.

Thanks Juri, but we must use Finns to Mission Editor work because I can teach and instruct the team by writing and speaking my mother lanquage Finnish. I must to teach them to use editor it self at first. There are also very many texturizing details which I must control all the time with Skype screen sharing. I'm not so good with English to teach anybody! :russian_ru:

And thanks for the tip, I must ask skilled 3D  modellers in the general thread.

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

So there is not much hope for career mode just like in Velikie Luki?

No because this is not a part of Great Battles game. But I dream to write in my becoming pension days (soon...) Scripted Campaigns  to this map. 

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

No because this is not a part of Great Battles game. But I dream to write in my becoming pension days (soon...) Scripted Campaigns  to this map. 

I will definitely do campaigns for Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey. Thanks to help by Finnish community members I already have all necessary information.

Of course there are all kinds of other campaigns that could be created on the map, especially if we get versions of the map for different seasons and when the developers decide to give us some of the Finnish air force aircraft mentioned above.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

I will definitely do campaigns for Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey. Thanks to help by Finnish community members I already have all necessary information.

Of course there are all kinds of other campaigns that could be created on the map, especially if we get versions of the map for different seasons and when the developers decide to give us some of the Finnish air force aircraft mentioned above.

I know your plans to make  the Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey campaign and it's really cool idea! Current plane setup is very suitable for Soviet Great offensive in June - July 1944. Other FAF collector planes are only a daydream of all Finnish users. But in the future Axis ETO map's aircrafts need more and more non-German fighters and then those FAF fighters are a good choice to add them. Curtis Hawk 75As and Morane Saulnier M.S. 406 are also suitable to Battle of France 1940 and Fiat G.50 to Mediterranean Sea. :)

I love the map making and this Karelia map is a good way to learn all the necessary techniques for IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles maps. Mission Editor is a very powerful tool to make really beautiful, detailed and historical maps. You must have a a capable team like we have and most of all you need a real spirit to make your map! All the members of our team are very motivated to finish this project on next year. If developers are satisfied this map I know what is my hobby in my becoming pension days: making more ETO and MTO maps! :biggrin: 

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Such a shame. I feel like this is a missed opportunity. Can only hope that 1C after seeing finished map will actually do it official expansion or at least give us free or paid career mode with some early war planes. Scripted campaigns are fun but one can only play them few times before it gets boring. Could be great opportunity to try diffrent dlc model and just sell few planes with career for smaller price.

58 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Such a shame. I feel like this is a missed opportunity. Can only hope that 1C after seeing finished map will actually do it official expansion or at least give us free or paid career mode with some early war planes. Scripted campaigns are fun but one can only play them few times before it gets boring. Could be great opportunity to try diffrent dlc model and just sell few planes with career for smaller price.

Sorry, but we can't plan anything with this unfinished map and not even discuss here it's possibilities. Devs haven't even seen my map files yet. We don't want to disturb them with any "how to use this unfinished map" plans before it's the right time to it.

I would like to ask for everybody: Don't write anything for this theme in the IL-2 Sturmovik forums, please! I have promised to Jason that we keep very low profile with the map and everything what is part of it.  It's a gentlemen's agreement and it's almost as a NDA! ;)

• Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Great to know you guys are continuing with this project Kanttori, just a shame there cannot be anything published in regard to progress, as for when, Autumn 2020 that does seem so far away.:cray:

I would love to give you guys a hand in regards to the 3d objects, however, I am still using a old version of Max that came free with FSX, gmax, I have a long way to go before I came claim to be anyway near competent with that old program never mind something more up to date.:lol:

Good luck with what you do, we are all eagerly awaiting the end result.:drinks:

I do so wish to see the B-239 in this version of the sim, can we also dream of all the other stuff we had in the old game?

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1

Even if we got "only" map without additional planes with campaign pack, it would be awesome :salute:

Northern sector of the Eastern front got somehow ignored so I hope everything goes well and this content will make it to the game. Additional planes such as Buffalo, Sussu and G.50 would be also great :)

I wish you a good luck and hope everything goes well :salute:

• Like 1

Keep on grinding, Kanttori & friends! (Thought it would be nice to do some cheerleading from time to time:clapping:)

• Like 1

Very exciting thread. I hope it makes it all they way to the game unlike the Odessa map.

• Like 1

So ... Hurricane and Yak-9(T) coming ... good news for the Leningrad and Karelia front!
I am editing the original post and changing Mk.IIb to Mk.IIc

Battle of Brittany will develop the Mk.Ia
The tropicalized in the eventual battles of the desert. And the Mk.IIs versions on the Soviet front

• Like 1

"Initially unimpressed, the Finns later witnessed a demonstration by a Brewster test pilot, who was able to stay on the tail of a Finnish Fiat G.50 Freccia [N 4] fighter from Italy; although the Fiat fighter was faster in level flight,[N 5] the Brewster could out-turn it.[31]"

ill just leave this here. could the f2a be the best turning plane in IL2? I know the g-50 could hang with the early spits in clod 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LUZITANO said:

So ... Hurricane and Yak-9(T) coming ... good news for the Leningrad and Karelia front!
I am editing the original post and changing Mk.IIb to Mk.IIc

Battle of Brittany will develop the Mk.Ia
The tropicalized in the eventual battles of the desert. And the Mk.IIs versions on the Soviet front

Russian had Hurricane Mk II fighters over Karelian front and we Finns had Hurricane Mk I's. Both were used in the beginning of the Continuation war 1941 and 1942. Yak-9T is a great late war (1944) addition also to our front.

Map work is going on after summer pause and our growing Finnish team has now 20 hard-working members with the many different job descriptions.  We all are working with the map in our free times (daily between 1 - 6 hours) so that's why we need so many team members. Map status is very good now, but  I can't tell anything else, sorry! ;)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 7

Would love to see countries like Finland with Buffalo and France with Dewoitine aircraft. Sweden had some cool aircrafts too.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:19 AM, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Map work is going on after summer pause and our growing Finnish team has now 20 hard-working members with the many different job descriptions.  We all are working with the map in our free times (daily between 1 - 6 hours) so that's why we need so many team members. Map status is very good now, but  I can't tell anything else, sorry! ;)  

That little bit of info is really great news! I¬īm really looking forward to it, whenever it is time to be released in 2020.