ST_DaMasTa

Joystick Configuration

How much longer will we have to wait for 1C Studios to find a solution for the people who

have been complaining about the joystick configuration?  So many people have complained 

about this.  I will not be buying anymore of these flight simulators until these problems are 

addressed,..  I have the Saitec x52,..  its a shame that it works like it should on IL2 1946 from over 12 years ago,.. but not on these flight simulators.  I am not the only one that is complaining,.. many joysticks are almost impossible to program the way the user wants it,  people are having issues. 

Many people can not use their joysticks the way they want to use them,   the software will not recognize some of the different buttons or sliders.  I have a friend with disablilities.  He has difficulties with these sims because the software will not recognize the buttons that he needs to operate because of his deformed hands.  He likes to operate the tanks.. but can't get his joystick to work the way he needs it to work in the Battle Of Moscow.

It seems like more time should be devoted to fixing or tweaking the control section of what you have now instead of cranking out more flight simulators 1C Studios...  You would have the perfect WWII simulator then, one that would work with all joystick sliders and buttons.  If it could be done with IL-2 1946 in 2006 then why not now.. ?

When are you going to address these problems 1C ?  Stop putting out these flight sims until you fix your issues on the ones that you have in the market now.  As a customer.. I feel ripped off.  We should have the option to use all the fetures of our favorite joysticks.  If you want to increase sales, then please fix, and let us know when you have done so.  

I have to add that I think that these flight sims are 2nd to none as far as quality of graphics.  I know a lot of work and time went into them and they are beautiful.  What good are they if you can't make your joystick work as it was intended to work?..  I spend more time on IL-2 1946 from 2006 then I do on these flight simulators, not as much eye candy,  but all controls work as intended with most joysticks...  

Please 1C Game Studios,.. get it together,.. give use joystick options that work,.. fix what you have.

I appreciate what you have given us,. some great looking flight sims,.. but the controls section needs some updateing and fine tuning.

Thank you for your efforts so far...

.. an IL-2 pilot

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, ST_DaMasTa said:

Many people can not use their joysticks the way they want to use them,   the software will not recognize some of the different buttons or sliders.  I have a friend with disablilities.  He has difficulties with these sims because the software will not recognize the buttons that he needs to operate because of his deformed hands.  He likes to operate the tanks.. but can't get his joystick to work the way he needs it to work in the Battle Of Moscow.

Salutation,

Many people? How many? Not in my personal experience.

I have a Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS system and I have yet to find any button or axis it doesn't recognize or one I can't assign. 🙂

To expect any game developer to design anything for someone with deformed hands is ridiculous. 

Oh, a joystick isn't even needed to operate the tanks in IL2. Only a mouse is required.

Just curious are you or your friend playing through Steam? 😐

Edited by Thad

ST_DaMasTa could you give a specific example of what you want to achieve but why is it does not work?  Thanks

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

13 minutes ago, Thad said:

I have a Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS system and I have yet to find any button or axis it doesn't recognize or one I can't assign. 🙂

To expect any developer to design anything for someone with deformed hands is ridiculous.

The bindings are inflexible; you can not use button combinations - only the keyboards shift/ctrl/alt type of key can be modifiers. This is one of very few advantages the WT has (all combinations work) and it's very useful when one has a limited number of button/controllers.

I'm not sure how it relates to the OP but such flexibility could be an improvement for everyone.

Edited by Ehret
  • Like 1

I am "left handed" and find most joysticks more or less adapted to my problem and the "Hotas warthog" most of all.

Go to a shop and try before buying most of them are very friendly when they try to sell some very costly hardware.

Also read critics on internet forums.

The buttons settings is something very personal and can take a long time even months before it is correct or perfecto ones hands and preferences.

But you shall get there with patience and hard work.:salute:

Funny I have had 0 issues myself, with multiple joysticks. Trying to get Il2 1946 setup was indeed a nightmare.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ehret said:

only the keyboards shift/ctrl/alt type of key can be modifiers. 

If you need joystick buttons to act as modifiers, can’t you just assign them to emulate the key? I remember doing that in RoF many years ago. This menu system seems similar enough. 

Hell, I have a Sidewinder FFB2 and a CH Pro Combatstick, and both work perfectly with Il-2 BoX. The control set-up is IMO sadly lacking in some respects, but joystick compatibility hasn't been one of them (for me).

15 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

If you need joystick buttons to act as modifiers, can’t you just assign them to emulate the key? I remember doing that in RoF many years ago. This menu system seems similar enough. 

You absolutely can. I was doing this with joytokey with my thrustmaster t-flight hotas. No need for it now with the t16000 FCS pack though, got plenty of buttons, a better modifier system one similar to DCS would be nice. Would be easier than using 3rd party software.

I would like a better controller setup GUI - namely ability to assign a button as a modifier, and controller identification by name as windows does, rather than assigning joystick ID number. With a column for each controller. This is more of a feature wish for me rather than proper joystick implementation. Along with individual plane controller setups rather than global.

Having said my wish though, I will say I have no issues at all using 4 different controllers in IL-2.

I have a Warthog Throttle, a CH Throttle Quadrant for extra buttons and axis, a Virpil T-50 Mongoose, and a VKB Gunfighter Pro. Also have Crosswind Pedals.

I have not had any issue getting any of them to work properly.

I would suggest if you have specific things you would like to see in regards to controller support also make a thread for it in the Suggestions forum. I did myself on this topic recently with what I listed at the top. Might not get taken seriously, but certainly can't hurt.

20 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

If you need joystick buttons to act as modifiers, can’t you just assign them to emulate the key? 

Case is that emulate a key (press) in Bo'X require a external software (from joy manufacturer or 3rd part), what may some people want avoid - will be one more gadget running in game background.

BoX already support a joystick button as modifier for others joystick buttons, but don't offer option for set this in Key Binds GUI (probable due the old "less keys is better), require manually edit current.action file - what may is beyond ability of many players.

Anyway the only real issues in BoX controls is:

- Difficult to assign some axis for some joystick (or combination Joystick/Windows/Game/User). Sample.

- The need of delay/pause between key press combos (e.g. LAlt+A) send by external software, what prevents use simple/easy to use ones like Joy2Key for certain functions.

If worth anything, in all flight games are people complaining about joystick assignments. Generally people want that a new game use the same controls layout of their old preferred.  🙄

In the same way that game don't "support" OP X-52 joystick, dozen of others X-52 owners has no problem for use in game.

So the mileage varies... I am able to use joystick/pedal in tank controls. :)

Edited by Sokol1

Aircraft profiles would be nice, is it possible to make a .cfml file for different aircraft?

I hope the ability to set individual responses arrives with Flying Circus. I don’t find this so necessary for the WWII planes, but the RoF planes need this since they cannot be trimmed. And without a pitch “trim” set in the responses, you can’t use response curves. And these sims need response curves especially in pitch. 

So if this feature is added, I’m guessing it will be with FC. 

On 7/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, Sokol1 said:

BoX already support a joystick button as modifier for others joystick buttons, but don't offer option for set this in Key Binds GUI (probable due the old "less keys is better), require manually edit current.action file - what may is beyond ability of many players. 

🙄

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

By editing this file could I get a joystick button to emulate a shift keystroke?

Or get that button to work in BoX as a modifier?

Either of those options would be incredibly helpful to me. 

My current work around with my G940 is in the profiler software to hold shift and close the record keystroke window, which works but I find it almost consistently will randomly stop working during the course of a BoX session. 

(PS: No idea why, but I can't delete that emoticon.) 

If I remember with Logitech, if you set a button to emulate Shift, then you’ll need to map the other button you want to use in combination with it to another key as well. I know this worked for me a long time ago with a Logitech stick. 

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

If I remember with Logitech, if you set a button to emulate Shift, then you’ll need to map the other button you want to use in combination with it to another key as well. I know this worked for me a long time ago with a Logitech stick. 

Well Logitech has their own shift state you can use within their profiler, ie with the rest of the G940, trouble is I need it to be a keyboard shift stroke so it'll work with my Warthog throttle. 

Edited by Soilworker

I have a Saitek AV8R-01 and the software that came with it no longer works to be able to triple my keys with an OFF A and B switch. I would like to assign A for instance to Shift and B to Cntrl for example!  The key commands in this game are driving me nuts and no export to html like DCS.

I am not enjoying the game so far because I am struggling to set it up with the complex engine management. I need both hand on my joystick so pressing Shift, Cntrl, Alt, is out of the question! This is really bothering me to point of just giving up on the game. 

Edited by 334th_Ripper*

On 2/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, 334th_Ripper* said:

I have a Saitek AV8R-01 and the software that came with it no longer works to be able to triple my keys with an OFF A and B switch. I would like to assign A for instance to Shift and B to Cntrl for example!  The key commands in this game are driving me nuts and no export to html like DCS.

I am not enjoying the game so far because I am struggling to set it up with the complex engine management. I need both hand on my joystick so pressing Shift, Cntrl, Alt, is out of the question! This is really bothering me to point of just giving up on the game. 

Download the joytokey software it's free and will easily enable you to set any button you desire as any modifier.

7 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Download the joytokey software it's free and will easily enable you to set any button you desire as any modifier.

Thanks I have. I will figure out how to use it this weekend.

45 minutes ago, 334th_Ripper* said:

Thanks I have. I will figure out how to use it this weekend.

Joytokey is easier than it looks. I have been relying on it to solve key mapping problems and it works like a charm.

Here's an overview of the functions - https://joytokey.net/en/overview

9 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

Joytokey is easier than it looks. I have been relying on it to solve key mapping problems and it works like a charm. 

Here's an overview of the functions - https://joytokey.net/en/overview

Thanks,

I am having issues with some key combinations. Example Lshft G to toggle tail wheel raises and lowers my gear!  I figured out how to get my flaps up!

Capture1.PNG

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS TOPIC. I CAN'T CONFIGURE ANYTHING SINCE I ADDED KUBAN. FUNCTION KEYS DON'T WORK. I'M GETTING IRRITATED AND WON'T BE NUYING ANY MORE ADD ONS OR CAMPAIGNS.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Salutations,

Do you 'really' think simply adding Kuban disabled anything on your end? Nobody else seems to have reported your described problem. 😕

4 hours ago, bobtbird said:

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS TOPIC. I CAN'T CONFIGURE ANYTHING SINCE I ADDED KUBAN. FUNCTION KEYS DON'T WORK. I'M GETTING IRRITATED AND WON'T BE NUYING ANY MORE ADD ONS OR CAMPAIGNS.

Dude, CapsLock. 

Get Autohotkey. It's a simple scripting language that enables you to map an endless number of functions with the limited set of buttons available on your stick.

One example: when I'm in the cockpit, my sticks coolie hat controls elevator trim and some of the radiator / cooling flap functionalities. After I press F2 to switch to an external view, the coolie hat controls the rotation of the external camera. I press F1 to switch to cockpit view and the coolie hat switches to it's trim and radiator functionalities.

Thing is that Autohotkey script language can be a bit "complicated" - specially for ones that complain about be difficult just set joystick buttons in game controls GUI. 😀

Anyway Joystick Gremlin - that had friendly GUI, is a interface for Autohotkey scripts.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 6:01 PM, ST_DaMasTa said:

How much longer will we have to wait for 1C Studios to find a solution for the people who

have been complaining about the joystick configuration?  So many people have complained 

about this.  I will not be buying anymore of these flight simulators until these problems are 

addressed,..  I have the Saitec x52,..  its a shame that it works like it should on IL2 1946 from over 12 years ago,.. but not on these flight simulators.  I am not the only one that is complaining,.. many joysticks are almost impossible to program the way the user wants it,  people are having issues. 

It seems like more time should be devoted to fixing or tweaking the control section of what you have now instead of cranking out more flight simulators 1C Studios...  You would have the perfect WWII simulator then, one that would work with all joystick sliders and buttons.  If it could be done with IL-2 1946 in 2006 then why not now.. ?

When are you going to address these problems 1C ?  Stop putting out these flight sims until you fix your issues on the ones that you have in the market now.  As a customer.. I feel ripped off.  We should have the option to use all the fetures of our favorite joysticks.  If you want to increase sales, then please fix, and let us know when you have done so.  

I have to add that I think that these flight sims are 2nd to none as far as quality of graphics.  I know a lot of work and time went into them and they are beautiful.  What good are they if you can't make your joystick work as it was intended to work?..  I spend more time on IL-2 1946 from 2006 then I do on these flight simulators, not as much eye candy,  but all controls work as intended with most joysticks...  

Please 1C Game Studios,.. get it together,.. give use joystick options that work,.. fix what you have.

I appreciate what you have given us,. some great looking flight sims,.. but the controls section needs some updateing and fine tuning.

Thank you for your efforts so far...

.. an IL-2 pilot

I totally agree with your comments and find it absurd that IL2 46 has a good interface and this version is rubbish. I have a Warthog stick and throttle set up and in 46 I land and reduce the throttle whilst setting up trim elevator with my hand partially on both sticks. I have to program a button on the front of the throttle stick to achieve this in part now. Also flaps which are so good on 46 are again a pain with button or key presses. I use Go Flight key press program in conjunction with their flight sims and this is good on both 46 and BOS. For the life of me how can you produce a stunning graphics program like this and not pay attention to the interface when all you have to do is look at IL2 46 ???????

totally agree with your comments and find it absurd that IL2 46 has a good interface and this version is rubbish. I have a Warthog stick and throttle set up and in 46 I land and reduce the throttle whilst setting up trim elevator with my hand partially on both sticks. I have to program a button on the front of the throttle stick to achieve this in part now. Also flaps which are so good on 46 are again a pain with button or key presses. I use Go Flight key press program in conjunction with their flight sims and this is good on both 46 and BOS. For the life of me how can you produce a stunning graphics program like this and not pay attention to the interface when all you have to do is look at IL2 46 ???????

Thanks for posting alternative software. Soon I will be buying VKB MK II joystick and I will experiment with the software they offer or other suggestions above. 

I totally agree with original poster. I have come back to this sim to try to configure the joystick controls several times since I purchased the basic IL-2 BOS some time ago. I was hoping that the configuration was redesigned to accommodate the myriad of, and growing number of, input devices now available on modern PC hardware. Window designed its OS to accommodate multiple devices by giving them different GUIDs. There are many flight sim enthusiasts who now have multiple devices, like different sticks, separate rudder pedals, controllers, and even button boxes, and custom cockpits with analogue/digital input's. DCS world is an example of how such diversity of input devices can be accommodated, so the user simply selects the device column and matches with the function, and clicks the DX button. It even provides a default recommended setup for some devices. And if you only have one joystick installed then that's all a user will see in the configurator, so easy even for non techies. 

While I thank those above who have proposed remapping software, and some even suggest find/copy/replace from configuration files, it is not the solution to this issue.

777 Studios, you have dropped the ball with this. I will continue to spend my cash on WW3 DCS modules than in preference to IL2 modules.  I'm sure I'm not the only one. I will however continue to login from time to time to check has this issue been addressed (or even improved), but given the changes/improvements I have seen since I tried almost a year ago, I won't be holding my breath.

Very disappointed

Fish.

@Fish44Fish44 Even though I upgraded my joystick to the ThrustMaster Warthhog, I barely assigned any buttons and even then only for back up.  I am 100% on Voice Attack with default IL2 Key Bindings. Problem solved 😎

Edited by BSS_Ripper*

S!

I would be happy if they added support for more than 64 buttons, axes,sliders etc. I have to use a 3rd party program to get my throttle to work properly in BoX. In DCS I just point and click on the desired function and it works, for the over 100 functions on my throttle. Without 3rd party programs at all. Didn´t BoX use Direct Input?