Bies

Using cockpit gauges vs. technochat - Adding an option to turn off the “technochat” in realism menu by server administrator

Has there ever been mention of tecnochat becoming a realism option by the devs?

I really don't get what the problem is either. It's like if all of a sudden, their favourite servers will enable this option. In my mind there is only one server that will certainly do it and that's ACG. Possibly, a second being TAW, which the devs stated in a post that they would be interested in that. It is the only hardcore mainstream server that may implement that. Will Combat Box, WoL and KOTA enable this?Frack no. They'll lose their player base.

• Upvote 1

I think that people, who like techchat, are worried, that their favorite server suddenly doesn´t allow techchat anymore.
A worry I can get behind 100%!

1 hour ago, Leon_Portier said:

I think that people, who like techchat, are worried, that their favorite server suddenly doesn´t allow techchat anymore.

There will be servers that do and servers that don't.

If you are the type of flyer who likes/relies on technochat then I don't think that your 'favourite' server will suddenly change.

I like all technochat and other 'aids' turned off so already go for the servers where the majority of people don't use it anyway. Ok, I'm assuming a bit there, but the people I fly with on those servers don't use the 'chat'.

I'm all for the server-side option; I like a level playing playing field if possible.

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

On 2/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, Leon_Portier said:

Well your worries are completely unfounded. Even back in the hyperlobby days with il 2 1946, this option was available, and only ONE server of the mainstreams went full Hardcore Mode.

Like I said only 2 will probably will adapt it. Furthermore, id guess other servers will open a poll to see if they enable it or not.

The more flexibility in options, the better the sim, IMO.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

My worrys are very founded, I don´t wanna be stuck with Wol only.

Well if that would be the case, you will do just fine in adapting, as you already do not conform to WoL,,😁

• Upvote 1

I really hope this is made into an option, it would force players to actually learn their aircraft and look into the cockpit every once in a while.

One of the things I hate most about this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

I'm generally in support of this.

The only limitation would me the compass. There are so many different airplanes, with different compasses (*cough* british *cough*), it's impossible to figure out.

I'm almost halfway to the target when I have figured out the power instruments, usually. There's no use in figuring out then, that the target is in fact the opposite way...

Remove engine timers and I will support this decision, untill then, no way. 

Thank you Bies for opening up this subject.

When I'm playing IL-2 CloD I usually have the position of the Throttles, Mixture, Radiator, Prop. Pitch, etc. at the bottom of the screen. They're small, thus it doesn't really become a distraction IMO. When a something gets damaged it will say in orange, " Engine 1 Water Perforated.", etc. It also gives a pretty detailed description of what's been damaged, than simply a vague statement saying " First Engine damaged" appearing in front of you for a long while. Also with CloD, Airspeed isn't provided via a info box, it mainly comes from YOU looking at the ASI. IMO, CloD is closer to reality when flying than IL-2 GBs as it gives me the sense of what a pilot is doing/has to do when flying in real life. I do have to say that crashes are much better in IL-2 GBs though.

754530_screenshots_20180204092205_1.thumb.jpg.77de12f39ffa5668d5756e212bcca2bb.jpg

With IL-2 1946, we get these in game messages like Fuel Tank: On Fire/Leak/Exploded, etc, Radiator/Throttle/Mixture, Prop. Pitch position, and all these other things, then it goes away.

15320_screenshots_20170616162050_1.thumb.jpg.1a23b9515444a3b072d15cb2a086354b.jpg

With IL-2 GBs I turned on Technical and Tips and it was pretty repetitive with " Retract the Flaps, Retract the Gear." when your on final approach, and all of these other tips which can be repetitive when flying.

Then I did what I usually do: flying with just Technical. The only thing I really like First Engine Emergency/Combat/Continuous mode, and First Engine Oil System failure/Coolant Failure. The rest can seem a bit repetitive like "Fuel Tank hit", and it stays on for an eternity. Yes, I'm aware that the fuel tank is leaking, you told me this.

Lastly I turned Technical and Tips OFF and like you would think, I was in for a surprise. When taking off I did something I hadn't done before in this game. I visually checked the Flaps position from the cockpit unlike the technochat saying Flaps 33%, and I liked that (the former). As a flew, I found it great flying while just looking at the gauges and power levers. 

The thing I dislike with this game is that you don't really have any sense of what gauge is what just by looking at it, other than your primary instruments like ASI, Compass, ADI, VSI, Altitude. With CloD, CFS3, FSX and X-Plane 11, if you want to know what a gauge is, you just hover the mouse over it and it tells you what it is like Oil Temp: 33 C. I'm not asking for a clickable cockpit here (though it would be nice and feel at some point it should be added), but for the ability like in CFS3 for you to hover the mouse over the gauge and you get info, as well as a sense of what it is.

The only other way to know what gauge it is for IL-2 GBs is by reading the manual for the Aircraft your flying. All pilots read the Manual/handbook for a plane in real life, but how many people read the manual/handbook for a plane in IL-2 GBs (other than perhaps the devs)?

I am a real world pilot myself with my license, playing Combat and real world flight sims since I was in preschool. IMO, when I'm playing Rise of Flight, IL-2 1946 and CloD, with clickable or non-clickable cockpits and plane cockpits/DM that were made 20 years ago and somewhat improved over that time, I get the sense as if I'm flying the plane; with IL-2 GBs, I don't really and think of it more of an arcade like, game play wise. For now IMHO, IL-2 GBs game play wise shows what happens when you fly a plane into a forest.

First of all, I must give a huge thanks to 1CGS/777 for all of their work these past years with the additions of many improvements like VR, improved visuals, many aircraft like the Me 262, P-51, P-38, P-39, etc.. It's been quite the work and accomplishment. I really hope that with all creative planning that the devs can find a way to implement or some of the OPs request into the game in the near future.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:14 AM, Legioneod said:

I really hope this is made into an option, it would force players to actually learn their aircraft and look into the cockpit every once in a while.

Agree. In regards to this rhetorical post, there are probably a lot of members here who probably look no lower than the gunsight when playing IL-2 GBs. I feel that maybe, just maybe, it's time for these people to get their head out of the sim world of aviation, and poke their head or nose into the real world. 

Thank you.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Upvote 3

On 2/10/2020 at 10:14 AM, D3adCZE said:

Remove engine timers and I will support this decision, untill then, no way. 

Just fly within the parameters of the aircraft and you don't need to worry about timers. Besides all aircraft have a timepiece of some sort or another to gauge how long you've been pushing it.There used to be some nuance to this as these times weren't in game but now you can find them in the tactical map. 

Edited by driftaholic
  • Upvote 2

On 7/14/2018 at 2:18 AM, Bies said:

At the beginning I would like to say thank you to all 777 team for developing two best simulators since legacy 2001 IL2 Sturmovik. It’s not an empty curtesy, it’s a fact, and people didn’t have that experience since old Virtual Fronts. Thank you for your fantastic work and keep it up!

What a great post (OP). It seems we're still waiting. As mentioned, it would surely bring immersion up a solid knotch having the more realistic servers being able to disable technochat. Fingers crossed for that option sometime.

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2020 at 2:11 AM, driftaholic said:

Just fly within the parameters of the aircraft and you don't need to worry about timers. Besides all aircraft have a timepiece of some sort or another to gauge how long you've been pushing it.There used to be some nuance to this as these times weren't in game but now you can find them in the tactical map. 

Flying at 0.01 ATA over maximum combat will destroy 109s engine in ~3 minutes. That is totally unrealistic, and unless we get rid of this unrealistic mechanic, no way in hell.

Honest to God question, what would be the best replacement for the engine timer mechanic? A full simulation of the engine seems impractical given the way IL-2 is set up. Are we talking a full removal of "engine-death-due-to-being-WEP-100%-of-the-time," or some kind of new compromise system?

I turned off technochat a long time ago. I loved it for awhile but realized, it was more fun to learn the limitations of my plane and actually look at the instruments. It may put me at a slight disadvantage to the guy who is zoomed in all the way on his reticle, and not bothering to look down at all. Sometimes the looking down and back up is enough to make the plane I was chasing disappear. WOOPS!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, D3adCZE said:

Flying at 0.01 ATA over maximum combat will destroy 109s engine in ~3 minutes. That is totally unrealistic, and unless we get rid of this unrealistic mechanic, no way in hell.

Sure the timer may be unrealistic, But what isn't realistic is max performing your engine setting parameters 100% of the time WITHOUT looking at your instruments. By enforcing this server option to remove the chat, you look down at instruments occasionally and listen to engine sounds. 

Also i doubt real pilots pushed their aircraft in emergency settings as often as we do in the sim. This is why this feature is a good addition for SERVERS looking for HARDCORE REALISM. How many full hardcore realism servers are there?

Edited by ACG_Vietkong
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

How many full hardcore realism servers are there?

None really, since all of them have tech chat.

4 hours ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

Also i doubt real pilots pushed their aircraft in emergency settings as often as we do in the sim. This is why this feature is a good addition for SERVERS looking for HARDCORE REALISM. How many full hardcore realism servers are there?

I suspect they spent much more time at cruise power, but in combat I suspect most pilots just ran 100% WEP until the enemy was gone. The engine limits seem be mostly about preventing excessive wear, and wear doesn't matter if you don't make it home.

If there's an account where a pilot says "I'd been at WEP for 5 minutes, so I throttled back in the middle of the dogfight because that's what the training manual says", I'd love to hear it. Instead I've seen accounts where pilots say "We just went to WEP and stayed there until the engagement was over and we remembered to throttle back. You could easily be at WEP for 20 minutes or more."

Edited by Charon
Phrasing.
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Charon said:

I suspect they spent much more time at cruise power, but in combat I suspect most pilots just ran 100% WEP until the enemy was gone. The engine limits seem be mostly about preventing excessive wear, and wear doesn't matter if you don't make it home.

If there's an account where a pilot says "I'd been at WEP for 5 minutes, so I throttled back in the middle of the dogfight because that's what the training manual says", I'd love to hear it. Instead I've seen accounts where pilots say "We just went to WEP and stayed there until the engagement was over and we remembered to throttle back. You could easily be at WEP for 20 minutes or more."

"Until engagement was over." That isnt indicative of how long an engagement is. I haven't researched how long a typical engagement was, but i doubt longer than 10 min. When you have all those G to pull, after a few minutes of pull and strain you are looking to disengage.

Furthermore, to take this into the context of this sim, in TAW(the hardcore server) , it is very rare that you have to fight longer than 5 minutes on WEP. Why? By then, either you won the engagement  by shooting them down, the bandits dove away and you leave them be, or you are trying to dive away and escape or you are dead.

Edited by ACG_Vietkong

I read about czech Liberator, whom engines 2 and 3 died, so the pilots turned back and threw out almost everything (MGs, food...) and they activated WEP on remaining two engines. The limit was 5 minutes. They flew over 3 hours back to the airfield. After they landed, their engines were send to Ford for inspection. Ford technics said, that this two engines are like new, without any damage and they installed them back.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I usually don't go on multi-player that often (more of an SP person. More interested in Campaigns/Career), but after going on it a few days ago, the only technochat you're mainly given is the compass heading. Therefore, One HAS TO look into the cockpit AT their instruments for Airspeed, Altitude info.

I wonder how many people go on MP and once they see that there is no Altitude and Airspeed on-screen info, are like. " I'm outta here!"

Edited by Novice-Flyer

To be honest, it is quicker and easier to do a quick look down than it would be to have all of that stuff across the screen. The compass is easy to read and you know instantly which relative direction you are flying. it is odd to play a realistic simulation and then rest on digital technology to aid in playing. 

Then again, people take extreme methods to change the graphics to spot a/c better. Of course the visual acuity is better in reality than in a game, so is it balance? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How cool is it that the developers took this suggestion to heart and it's going to be implemented in the next patch! HIP HIP HURRAH

Thanks!

• Like 5

I know.....

This is absolutely great news.

If the Devs read this, i would like to thank them for eventually implementing this feature.

A lot of people are going to make a fuss, but its long over due for us that have argued for it.

I am really looking forward to it..

Its just a simple question of choice whether you join a server with it or not.

And i'm all for that...

Thanks...

• Like 4