Bies

Using cockpit gauges vs. technochat - Adding an option to turn off the “technochat” in realism menu by server administrator

2 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

2). This implies that flying "labels on" in servers that have "labels off" as the setting is more common than we would like to believe.  

No, it implies that the message tells you who you just shot down.  If they see that and they don't like you then they'll probably keep shooting 

23 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No, it implies that the message tells you who you just shot down.  If they see that and they don't like you then they'll probably keep shooting 

Well, diverting one's eyes to the far left side of the screen to focus on that while still shooting would explain a lot of the shitty marksmanship that can be seen.  :hunter:

19 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Well, diverting one's eyes to the far left side of the screen to focus on that while still shooting would explain a lot of the shitty marksmanship that can be seen.  :hunter:

If you can't read the message, why do you want it shut off?

22 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If you can't read the message, why do you want it shut off?

Oh, I can read it - when I have it on.  Most of the time I ignore it or am too focused on other things to bother to look.  If I am curious about who it was, I look at the chat log afterwards.  

I really don't get why you're making such an issue of this.  In the post I made that you quoted and spun your way, I stated at the VERY TOP that these were ****options****  I'd like to see available to server ops.  The operative word here is >>>>options<<<<<.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Posted July 9 (edited)

Just became aware of this thread.  These are the ideas I'd like to see as server options:

1). Technochat off. 

2) Anonymous teams in the scoreboard screen.  You could see the amount of players on the other team but, not names or scores.  You would only be able to see your own team's names and score.  You wouldn't see the other team's overall score either. You would have to gauge progress or losses by only your team's overall score. Full reveal of players on teams and both team's scores would only be on the final result screen for the match and webpage stats posted after the match.

3) Kill info removed from chat.  Player destroyed player X, plane type X or ground target type X would be removed.  Players would only see results with their own eyes or in the debrief screen.

4) Opponents did sometimes hijack each other's radio channels so, general chat still allowed, but anonymous (and still at the player's option to disable).  General chat would show the name of the person talking only to their team.  If someone wanted the other team to know they were there, they would have to announce themselves.  If "Hans Aceman" jumped onto the enemy frequency and talked trash, I doubt the opponent would be like "I recognize that voice! Oh crap! It's Hans Aceman!".   Granted, there was probably a system in place for switching radio channels to "clean" ones when the enemy flooded the comms but, we don't have anything like that in-game so, it is what it is...  Yes we have team-only chat but, the general chat still comes in. I'd be ok with permanent team-only chat settings too.

Edited July 9 by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

You snipped it to make it look like I was advocating setting hard rules upon all and they were going to like it or else.  You only quoted point #3 and responded to it in a way that attempted to negate the operative word I employed for the whole post >>>options<<<.  Feel free to not include me in you attempts to "soundbite" my posts to fit the narrative you wish to create. 

Also you might want to do us all a favor and remove the stick.  

7 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

If you have a problem understanding these analogies, then it is probably you that needs to do some work on it. 

"Overheating" warning in this game is very comparable to "Queen in danger" warning in a chess game, for example.

One day I'll find out how someone like yourself can retype something completely different to what they were being quoted for and play it off like it was what you originally typed.

Your original analogy specifically stated that the chat would give tactical advice in a chess game. Engine temp warnings, which are not even the example of the tech chat that has been getting attention here, are not equivalent to tactical advice. 

1 hour ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

I really don't get why you're making such an issue of this. 

I’m not.  I told you that it’s already an option and I sort of wondered why you wanted it on.  It turns out that the answer seems to be “because options”.  

Oh, I can read it - when I have it on.  Most of the time I ignore it or am too focused on other things to bother to look.  If I am curious about who it was, I look at the chat log afterwards.  

I really don't get why you're making such an issue of this.  In the post I made that you quoted and spun your way, I stated at the VERY TOP that these were ****options****  I'd like to see available to server ops.  The operative word here is >>>>options<<<<<.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Posted July 9 (edited)

Just became aware of this thread.  These are the ideas I'd like to see as server options:

1). Technochat off. 

2) Anonymous teams in the scoreboard screen.  You could see the amount of players on the other team but, not names or scores.  You would only be able to see your own team's names and score.  You wouldn't see the other team's overall score either. You would have to gauge progress or losses by only your team's overall score. Full reveal of players on teams and both team's scores would only be on the final result screen for the match and webpage stats posted after the match.

3) Kill info removed from chat.  Player destroyed player X, plane type X or ground target type X would be removed.  Players would only see results with their own eyes or in the debrief screen.

4) Opponents did sometimes hijack each other's radio channels so, general chat still allowed, but anonymous (and still at the player's option to disable).  General chat would show the name of the person talking only to their team.  If someone wanted the other team to know they were there, they would have to announce themselves.  If "Hans Aceman" jumped onto the enemy frequency and talked trash, I doubt the opponent would be like "I recognize that voice! Oh crap! It's Hans Aceman!".   Granted, there was probably a system in place for switching radio channels to "clean" ones when the enemy flooded the comms but, we don't have anything like that in-game so, it is what it is...  Yes we have team-only chat but, the general chat still comes in. I'd be ok with permanent team-only chat settings too.

Edited July 9 by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

You snipped it to make it look like I was advocating setting hard rules upon all and they were going to like it or else.  You only quoted point #3 and responded to it in a way that attempted to negate the operative word I employed for the whole post >>>options<<<.  Feel free to not include me in you attempts to "soundbite" my posts to fit the narrative you wish to create. 

Also you might want to do us all a favor and remove the stick.  

There aren’t enough servers active to give players all these choices so there’s no point in having so many options. 90% of the time your choices are Wings of Liberty or Wings of Liberty.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I’m not.  I told you that it’s already an option and I sort of wondered why you wanted it on.  It turns out that the answer seems to be “because options”.  

Right on.  

At the time I wrote that I didn't know it was already an option.

I want to make it clear, I don't want to take away anybody else's options.   I just would like to fly on servers where everybody who participates agrees on this one.  If they already exist and someone knows which ones they are, I'd like to know so I can check them out.

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

There aren’t enough servers active to give players all these choices so there’s no point in having so many options. 90% of the time your choices are Wings of Liberty or Wings of Liberty.

I always count 20+ servers I can access when I check the list.  WoL just has the highest population on average.  I suspect that it's because it has GPS, the maps have most of the planes available no matter what module(s) you bought and moderation is almost non-existent.  (But mostly the lack of moderation.)  

Lack of populated servers does not make options for potentially new servers pointless.  Perhaps it lowers the priority to add such things, but it doesn't negate the possibility they could be added. 

That's like the current YouTube model that makes videos that haven't earned any money after a "trial period" unable to earn money in the future. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fumes said:

One day I'll find out how someone like yourself can retype something completely different to what they were being quoted for and play it off like it was what you originally typed.

You mean, one day you will learn to read? What I originally typed: "These warning messages are like playing chess online and having the chess program warn you, when you are in a danger of being checkmated or losing an important piece..." . 

That is completely different from what I retyped: ""Overheating" warning in this game is very comparable to "Queen in danger" warning in a chess game"?

I guess it is another "objective fact" in your world, but I suspect that many people with elementary reading skills might find some similarities between what I originally typed and then retyped.

1 hour ago, Fumes said:

Engine temp warnings, which are not even the example of the tech chat that has been getting attention here, ...

Again, allow me to quote myself from a couple of messages back: "most people are not wanting to turn it fully off, but just get rid of the "engine mode" and temp warnings and other arcadish things like that...".

Some people with elementary reading skills might say that temp warnings are exactly an example of the tech chat that has been getting attention here.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

Posted (edited)

I always count 20+ servers I can access when I check the list.  WoL just has the highest population on average.  

WoL doesn’t just have the highest population. The majority of the times it has the only population. Unless you want to play on an empty server. 

Thats just how flight sims are these days. All the players in the world will only fit on a single server. So whatever option that sever has is what you’ll be stuck with. There aren’t enough populated servers to worry about this multitude of options. 

If technochat was a server option WoL would probably have it on. So there’s not much point to this thread. 

Edited by SharpeXB

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

WoL doesn’t just have the highest population. The majority of the times it has the only population. Unless you want to play on an empty server. 

Thats just how flight sims are these days. All the players in the world will only fit on a single server. So whatever option that sever has is what you’ll be stuck with. There aren’t enough populated servers to worry about this multitude of options. 

If technochat was a server option WoL would probably have it on. So there’s not much point to this thread. 

Well, sometimes you find yourself alone when you would rather have other options than the chick who took on the football team or you like the one nobody else likes.  I'm good with that. 

I just go there because it has the full range of plane set in early, mid and late war missions.  If I found a server that had that and the other options I preferred, I'd fly it even if I was alone and see if anybody else showed up.  More to the point, if I could afford, and had the knowledge, to host a server, I would set it how I wanted and see if anybody showed up.  Maybe I'd even find a few regulars who preferred an alternative to WoL to stick around and there wouldn't be only 1 popular server.

• Upvote 2