Bies

Using cockpit gauges vs. technochat - Adding an option to turn off the “technochat” in realism menu by server administrator

8 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Asgar said:

show us the state of bombfuzes in the cockpit and you can do with technochat whatever you want in my opinion 😄

In the P-39/P-40 you have levers on the floor for this...

oh good, two planes covered and who flies 109s and 190 anyways right?

Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar

9 hours ago, Ehret said:

You know... in some planes you have to set everything precisely or stuff will not perform and blow up unexpectedly. 

All to a nice extra advantage to more automated crates.

Yes, that's the point.  Don't ride right on the limit of your engine and you won't blow it up so quickly. If there was more pilot workload in real life to extract the performance benefits out of an engine, so should there be in game. Why should everyone be able to sit right on the 1% of engine limits with instant warnings when they had pushed their plane too far without having to take a single glance at the dials in the cockpit.

Sure I'm in favour of less restrictive "engine destruction timers", but not at the expense of having to wait for this pilot assist being available as a enforceable server admin setting.

• Upvote 4

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, JG5_Schuck said:

Ha ha ha,

I love the way some people want to drag down what was a perfectly reasonable topic to their mud slinging depths!!

In no way would this impact the individual, it would be a server setting (read the title of the thread), if you don't like the setting, don't join the server!!

As for HUD or technochat not offering any advantage, then someone needs to explain to me why every modern fighter aircraft is equipped with one?

Pict, its a very valid topic of conversation, but unfortunately some people are not open to the views of others, even when its offered with supporting evidence.

As for loosing inclusiveness, some servers now only allow joystick control, is that not the same?

I believe it should be available as a choice to whoever goes to all the trouble to make and host a server.

The technochat hud is definitely an advantage because it pops up when the engine is past its limits, as opposed to the pilot knowing to check his gauges. Trust me it's a HUGE differential. Don't know how many times I've finished an attack, pulling away and I see my engine is overheated.... uh... yes, it definitely increases the responsibilities of the pilot to expert. And on a server it would be like that for everybody so it's not like anybody is being forced into an unequal position. Other than the capabilities of the plane itself. It adds a big dimension, the planes 'feel' different. [ultimately I will always fly with it off anyway]

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, unreasonable said:

I do not need or want your "help" any more than I need or want your patronizing comments. Having played flight sims for twenty or so years I am happy to form and voice my own opinions without policing. I have not only seen loads of videos, I have even made a couple myself! 

Personally I think you are enormously over-rating the advantages of the HUD - except for Icons/labels, which are already a server setting. The idea that MP can be a completely level playing field is, anyway, an illusion. 

What Trups is saying is that eliminating technochat from some servers will make them unplayable for some people. So you lose inclusiveness in order to get an imaginary equality.

It is a fair point that requires a fair answer.  

Disagree that the HUD is not a major advantage. But, that's exactly the point, putting in the HUD more equals out aircraft, it ruins their character. The I16 is a monster to read the gauges, That's why there are the holes in the dashboard lip (or whatever that's called).Or looking around the IL2 gunsight to see the compass. Or knowing what ata is safe, for how long and not explicitly knowing the engine is overheated. Knowing where the Ju88 bomb lights are, or the Pe2 bomb counters. All adds to the adventure, the excitement. If we are looking for equality, we would all fly the same plane with same loadout at same altitude. For me that's totally what not the game is about.

Edited by Tailwheelbrownbear
  • Upvote 9

I would not like to have servers ability to force techchat off, since I like to bring friends which aren´t that experienced at flying.

4 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

I would not like to have servers ability to force techchat off, since I like to bring friends which aren´t that experienced at flying.

Why would you take someone who has little experience to a full switch server?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pict said:

Why would you take someone who has little experience to a full switch server?

Because they like the ground wars!

I dont use technochat, and maybe this is why I fried the 109s engines sometimes.

If you use technochat you have a warning high oil temperature in the Me 109 specially this is useful.

If you just use the gauges the oil temp gauge is not modeled, so you never know how is the oil temp doing.

So right there is one disadvantage, I still dont use it, but wish developers fix the oil temp gauge on the 109s.

8 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

Because they like the ground wars!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you talking about tank driving? I assume you are, as currently without a HUD there is no clear way of knowing what ammo you have selected in a tank?

If that's the case, lets not forget that what we have so far with the "ground wars" is a free pilot idea that led to an pre-order Beta, which is currently still in the early stages of development...

Hardly a reason to flip the idea to have the option to turn technochat off at the server level on it's head, is it?

7 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

If you use technochat you have a warning high oil temperature in the Me 109 specially this is useful.

If you just use the gauges the oil temp gauge is not modeled, so you never know how is the oil temp doing.

Just because an aircraft, or in Leon_Portier's case a tank, lacks a functioning oil temperature gauge or similar needed in cockpit information that is historically correct, should not mean that we should give up on wanting the option for a technochat free arena. 

If you are missing a historically correct feature in your cockpit, you should ask the developer to sort it out, backed up by all the historically data required to make your case stand up, in an effort to make IL2 BOX better for all of us. Not come here trying to squash the efforts of others who are trying to make IL2 BOX better for all of us.

Edited by Pict
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Pict said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you talking about tank driving? I assume you are, as currently without a HUD there is no clear way of knowing what ammo you have selected in a tank?

If that's the case, lets not forget that what we have so far with the "ground wars" is a free pilot idea that led to an pre-order Beta, which is currently still in the early stages of development...

Hardly a reason to flip the idea to have the option to turn technochat off at the server level on it's head, is it?

Sorry for being unclear, I meant the CAS and Bombing. So air to ground in a realistic setting.

I do agree on the tanks shells, it could be labeled better.

Edited by Leon_Portier

I gotta say it's hilarious reading through this thread. People just can't seem to grasp that this would be a server side setting. I'd love to see the hours of flight time these detractors have on TAW or any other high realism server. I bet it's 0. I bet most of them don't even play online and can't understand this would effect them in absolutely no way at all!

There's two pilots, one never has to look down or away from the plane he's fighting, the other has to take his eyes off the enemy to check his gauges, apparently this simple concept and how it creates a disadvantage for one player is beyond the grasp of a few people here. It's really not rocket science. If I can track my enemy without interruption how does that not give me an advantage vs somebody who cannot? None of the high kill youtubers EVER look at their gauges. You would have to be willfully ignorant to ignore that point.

If you do not like having technochat off then don't join the servers that you already don't play on since I can't imagine manual navigation would be up your ally either if literally looking into the beautifully rendered cockpit is too big a challenge for you. There's always war thunder.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 5

On 9/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, Pict said:

Just because an aircraft, or in Leon_Portier's case a tank, lacks a functioning oil temperature gauge or similar needed in cockpit information that is historically correct, should not mean that we should give up on wanting the option for a technochat free arena. 

If you are missing a historically correct feature in your cockpit, you should ask the developer to sort it out, backed up by all the historically data required to make your case stand up, in an effort to make IL2 BOX better for all of us. Not come here trying to squash the efforts of others who are trying to make IL2 BOX better for all of us.

I am in favor of removing technochat big time, dont understand your reply, why is lots of people in this forums always so angry trying to start fights.

Relax 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I am in favor of removing technochat big time, dont understand your reply, why is lots of people in this forums always so angry trying to start fights.

Relax 

You obviously do not understand my reply, if you think I want to start a fight with it.

Since a few months, since the appearance of this thread in fact, I fly without technochat.

I am almost no more surprised by overheating or other engine driving errors.

I know better the planes that I fly habitually, and I am more attentive to my plane and its reactions. It has brought a lot to my pleasure of flying.

But actually I'm less efficient than the others who use the technochat, since I always keep a small reserve of security.

So I am for the option of disabling technochat on servers, to fly "equal" with other players.

• Upvote 4

Once used to it, you can fly without technochat easily. Its the same with your car. You don't look at the tachometer to check if you have to shift up or down. You can hear it when your engine goes on full chat. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Oelmann said:

Once used to it, you can fly without technochat easily. Its the same with your car. You don't look at the tachometer to check if you have to shift up or down. You can hear it when your engine goes on full chat. 

Yes,  I can tell when I'm on the edge of combat/emergency in my most common planes just on engine sound alone. 

• Upvote 1

Ok Guys,

This is our chance to let the Devs know how we feel about the technochat/tips

through the FEEDBACK option. (thanks Jason)

This is a great opportunity, so get all your squad mates to do the same!

The more people who respond, the better the chance of something happening, fingers crossed.........

• Upvote 1