CanadaOne

Books - What are you reading?

I'm reading a book entitled DELAYED LEGACY. The book was written by the namesake son of a WWII P-51 pilot named Conrad Netting III. He flew with the 4thFG from April to June 1944 when he was lost a few days after D-Day. The book is well written and its story unique, the first half of it telling a lot of the story in the form of letters to and from a young couple separated by war. The second half of the book deals with the lost pilot's disposition after his death. Quite moving. As a disclaimer, it isn't as much about combat flying as it is about the effect WWII had on this young pilot and his even younger wife. Ultimately, it was a somewhat sadder story than I'd expected it to be. Those who continue to think the U.S. fighter pilot had little more to do than strap in, fly the missions and then go back home would do well to read this story.

I'd recommend this book to any reader who likes the human aspect to any story. Those who revel in the details of combat flying will likely be disappointed.

• Like 1

A quarter of the way though this. Okay so far. Really not too deep, but not dry either. One of the most interesting campaigns of the war, seeing off von Manstein, sacked by Hitler after losing this one.

Retribution: The Soviet Reconquest of Central Ukraine, 1943

51j2m7qIULL.jpg

• Like 1

41yzr-aFTmL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Big Show, this time all in order and less drama. COISNE was compiling three years of ORB records to match it against Clostermanns logbook, mission by mission. It is rather revealing in how exact Clostermann was, where he made his errors and how he came up with writing the The Big Show.

A superb account  - I highly recommend this, especially when flying in BoM!  I came across David Stahel as a result of watching a couple of his lectures on YouTube which were erudite and very revealing.  His main contention is that the Germans weren't on the brink of winning the war in the East, and only just failed at the gates of Moscow, but rather......well, I'll leave you to watch the videos or read his books!

Watch those and I guarantee you'll buy one of his books!

Mike

The Battle for Moscow