CanadaOne

Books - What are you reading?

13 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Does anybody know if there is a unit-history on 474th Fighter Group?

Nothing I have seen. The 370th history was written by the son of one of the pilots that went to all the reunions and knew all the pilots. I don’t think that has been done for the 474th. They have a very similar war record to the 370th, stationed at Florennes together October 44 to January or later 45

Thanks you guys - I just realized I had more than 80% of the books that Schiffer offers with "Fighter Group". 😅

Seems like there really is nothing on the 474th out there...

The Battle For Stalingrad 

733BFCDE-C3C2-410B-953B-BB61F7FAB6A2.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Upvote 1

On 12/25/2019 at 12:15 AM, Bremspropeller said:

Does anybody know if there is a unit-history on 474th Fighter Group?

The only book about the 474th FG that popped up was this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00071O7DS?SubscriptionId=0D2DHPR4QZK90GRWYP02&tag=porfessionalp7-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=386001&creativeASIN=B00071O7DS

Edit:

Several copies available at AbeBooks.com:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&kn=The+474th+Fighter+Group+in+World+War+II&an=&tn=&isbn=

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Upvote 1

I'm reading this right now, but Santa brought me a dozen new titles - have to step it up.

16919.jpg

I was back rereading 1984 again. I'm always taken with the conversation between O'Brien and Smith that takes place late in the book.

You see O'Brien alludes endlessly to his authority and lords it over Smith, but he can only do so while Smith is restrained and while O'Brien has an even higher authority to back him up. On his own, O'Brien is nothing. Possibly a completely useless POS. Smith has to be restrained so that O'Brien can pretend to lord his authority over him. Without the restraints imposed upon Smith, O'Brien, as Orwell alludes, is really the frightened one. He fears Smith. Everything he does is because he fears Smith. And while Orwell sets up Smith's fear as the tool through which the story reaches it's climax, it is, in the end, O'Brien's fear of Smith which is the true statement. Thus Orwell's genius.

I guess O'Brien, given his position, was merely lucky.

Gonna jump into Boethius again. That's a book that never gets old.

• Upvote 1

I found a copy of 1984 at work recently. I started reading it. I took it home.

Then I worried about taking it without permission and if any CCTV cameras saw me reading it and putting it in my bag.

Oh, the irony...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Reggie_Mental said:

I found a copy of 1984 at work recently. I started reading it. I took it home.

Then I worried about taking it without permission and if any CCTV cameras saw me reading it and putting it in my bag.

Oh, the irony...

That's excellent!

I've read the book many, many times. Definitely one of my favorites. The idea of cheap ass people exercising authority as if they own it is a classic theme that goes back to the Iliad and beyond. In that case you had Agamemnon acting like an idiot because he felt offended.

Nothing has changed. It's still a hot topic in literature today.

I’m starting to read this book. BTW the 61st anniversary happened yesterday 

image.jpeg.069ce9459a5fb6076a6d56fa1fc1266e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I’m starting to read this book. BTW the 61st anniversary happened yesterday 

image.jpeg.069ce9459a5fb6076a6d56fa1fc1266e.jpeg

Slightly off-putting Marketing department hype at work here...

The Dyatlov Pass incident is not an 'UNTOLD TRUE STORY' at all. It has been told many times before and repeated in paranormal journals and forums often for decades.

And as for the truth, that is up to the reader whether they believe it and the explanations offered. 

Is it any good though?

The event itself is interesting but the story is not particularly well-told.  There are a few cringe-worthy misspellings, e.g., "taking a peak" through a window.  The author is trying to be Krakauer but he doesn't have the chops.  

The severn pillars of wisdom by T E Lawrence is a fantastic book, for anyone who studies the middle east or (like me) works out there its a must read, not much has changed other than Mobile phones and the internet. the underlying tribal element is as strong as ever

Just finished reading The Fall of Berlin '45 by Beevor for a third time, having first read it in in 2009 while in Afghanistan for my second deployment there. An unreal read to be sure.

Currently reading a newly published book on the Waffen-SS: Hitler's Army at War by Adrian Gilbert. He doesn't quite have the knack of weaving historical facts, AAR's, and soldiers stories together into what reads like a compelling story like Beevor does, but it's an eye opening and dramatic account of their exploits, horrendous crimes, and complete and utter failures nonetheless. Highly recommended.

waffen-ss-1.jpg

The Miraculous Torpedo Squadron by Juzo Mori

Torpedo bomber pilot that fought in China; was at Pearl Harbor, Midway, and Guadalcanal. 

https://www.amazon.com/Miraculous-Torpedo-Squadron-Jūzõ-Mori-ebook/dp/B00THSCSS8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OBWTYFK3C4PN&keywords=the+miraculous+torpedo+squadron&qid=1582831905&sprefix=miraculous+torp%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-1

Edited by Plurp

The Unwomanly Face of War: an Oral History of Women in WWII by Svetlana Alexievich

It is not an easy read these harrowing and shocking testemonies of women serving the Red Army.

SA.jpg

• Upvote 2

i tried again enders game by orson scott card, its pretty good

i wonder if jane the singularity is already around

I'd recommend

The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command

by Edwin B. Coddington

It's 50 years old, but has not been surpassed. The prose is good (not as good as Catton), but the detail and analysis are top rate.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, Plurp said:

The Miraculous Torpedo Squadron by Juzo Mori

Torpedo bomber pilot that fought in China; was at Pearl Harbor, Midway, and Guadalcanal. 

https://www.amazon.com/Miraculous-Torpedo-Squadron-Jūzõ-Mori-ebook/dp/B00THSCSS8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OBWTYFK3C4PN&keywords=the+miraculous+torpedo+squadron&qid=1582831905&sprefix=miraculous+torp%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-1

read this two years ago, ever since I want to torpedo ships in a game - hoping for TF 5.0. 

Anyone know of decent books on the B25? I'm looking for something with good technical information, variants, unit history and liveries etc. Something along the lines of the classic publications FW190 series of books.

I would.. but I'm still waiting for Berströms books "Battle of Britain" and "Ardennes". But they are stuck at the customs. :(

550931.jpg

I've got access to almost every TV show ever made in English, most movies from the last twenty years, and many from the last 90. I have a library of books to read, from classic to junk, from fiction to history. I've got computer games that are marvels of modern simulation, that could take a lifetime to master.

And yet, I'm bored.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill that ***** for me please.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:48 AM, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

received_795226764311986.jpeg

This looks like a great read !!! I remember Frank Tallman when he was doing stunt piloting for movies many years back.

Thanks for posting this read !!!

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:42 AM, Uufflakke said:

The Unwomanly Face of War: an Oral History of Women in WWII by Svetlana Alexievich

It is not an easy read these harrowing and shocking testemonies of women serving the Red Army.

SA.jpg

I've been reading that too.  To be honest, when I first picked it up I was expecting something rather lightweight.  A breathless tribute to girlpower.  I could not have been more wrong.

Several times I have had to put it aside for a while.  As it has given me so much to chew on that I have had to take break, overwhelmed.  It should be required reading.

S! 

Been reading Carl Geust's book of VVS in Winter War. Covers the regiments, squadrons, leaders etc. Also has detailed claim/loss lost verified from archives for both VVS and FiAF. Quite a bit of never before seen pictures as well. Interesting read. 

IMG-20200402-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20200409-WA0026.jpeg

A book with interesting stories from air gunners, bomb aimers, pilots.

FLAK with Gilbert.png

Gilbert 79 Sqn 1.png

Gilbert 79 Sqn 2.png

Just started it. Seemed appropriate considering where things are at with my freelance business!

image.png

On 12/25/2019 at 5:27 PM, Bremspropeller said:

I just realized I had more than 80% of the books that Schiffer offers with "Fighter Group". 😅

Really? I can't find anything in that book about such.

Spoiler

image.jpg