Books - What are you reading?

On 1/15/2021 at 7:31 PM, namhee2 said:

my preparation for Normandy

362nd-fighter-group-dans-la-bataille-de-normandie.jpg

404th-fighter-group.jpg

You might also want to try "50 aerodromes pour une victoire" (Francois Robinard) - also by Heimdal.

Great book with lots of info.

IMG_3723.thumb.JPG.67af0e51df78fb02a3e697bbf50893c9.JPG

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

You might also want to try "50 aerodromes pour une victoire" (Francois Robinard) - also by Heimdal.

Great book with lots of info.

IMG_3723.thumb.JPG.67af0e51df78fb02a3e697bbf50893c9.JPG

Thanks, I've already seen it, I'm a regular customer of Editions Heimdal, unfortunately I'm retired, and unfortunately I can't buy books as quickly as I would like ... but my collection is getting bigger and bigger, still a very interesting book.

50-aerodromes-pour-une-victoire.jpg

les-pilotes-francais-du-6-juin-1944.jpg

20210117_192620.jpg

Edited by namhee2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Might that possibly be related to a game with three capital letters? 😅

Ambush; Crossbow, pop up group, Vegas, 270, 53, 18, hot, inbound to Morher, recommend commit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Conquering Tide. Not quite as good as Pacific Crucible but what middle book is as good as the first? Still engrossing and I've found my Pacific knowledge is almost as lacking as my Eastern Front knowledge was - at least my 42/43 knowledge.

Also Xmas present from the wife. Erik Larson's books can be kind of dry if you aren't a history buff, but to me they are great because they take linear events (textbook style) and turn them into narratives focused on a few main characters. He has a few other books on 20th and early 19th century events that I highly recommend.

9780385348713.jpeg

On 1/21/2021 at 8:38 AM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

The Conquering Tide. Not quite as good as Pacific Crucible but what middle book is as good as the first? Still engrossing and I've found my Pacific knowledge is almost as lacking as my Eastern Front knowledge was - at least my 42/43 knowledge.

I would say my area of expertise with regard to WWII.

Read ‘Guadalcanal’ by Richard B. Frank.

You’ll lament hugely that we’re not flying over the Solomons by now. 

Then read ‘Fire in the Sky’

by Eric Bergerud.

I’m now reading

Hornets Over Kuwait

Great read.

Jay is a helluva good guy - been in contact with him for some years. He’s lending his expertise to a little something something.

55 minutes ago, blue_max said:

Has anyone read neptune's inferno? Like, damn that is an intense book about the naval action around guadalcanal.

On my shelf, haven’t gotten around to it yet. My head is out of WWII for a while.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, Gambit21 said:

Ambush; Crossbow, pop up group, Vegas, 270, 53, 18, hot, inbound to Morher, recommend commit.

The chicks must swoon when you sweet talk like that. :cool:

18 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The chicks must swoon when you sweet talk like that. :cool:

Especially the Marine ones on the ground when they see how many rockets I carry around with me in my Marine Hornet.

Interesting  - no rockets allowed on the carrier, but Marines who might start off on the carrier (no rockets) but then transfer to a land base after a while - rockets! Oh look, 3 different varieties?! Let’s stay at this land base for a bit.  Maybe we can concentrate on dumb bombs (put the thing on the thing) and rockets (put the thing on the thing again) with a bit of GBU and Maverick for spice...I think we’re in business. I hate ‘just sayin’...but just sayin.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Especially the Marine ones on the ground when they see how many rockets I carry around with me in my Marine Hornet.

Interesting  - no rockets allowed on the carrier, but Marines who might start off on the carrier (no rockets) but then transfer to a land base after a while - rockets! Oh look, 3 different varieties?! Let’s stay at this land base for a bit.  Maybe we can concentrate on dumb bombs (put the thing on the thing) and rockets (put the thing on the thing again) with a bit of GBU and Maverick for spice...I think we’re in business. I hate ‘just sayin’...but just sayin.

No rockets on a carrier?

Interesting.

8 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

No rockets on a carrier?

Interesting.

On 29 July 1967, a fire broke out on board the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal after an electrical anomaly caused a Zuni rocket on a F-4B Phantom to fire, striking an external fuel tank of an A-4 Skyhawk. ... It also modified its weapon handling procedures and installed a deck wash down system on all carriers.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Fixed it for you.

You can't do one without the other. :happy:

Was rereading this Sunday. What a cosmic book. Serious navel gazing.

9780140447804.jpg

• Like 2

Reading monographies about two artists.

The Japanese ukiyo-e printmaker Utagawa Kuniyoshi and Baroque painter José de Ribera.

Kuniyoshi.thumb.jpg.a32cbeadcae532d3232362f4cc3fc0bb.jpg

Ribera.thumb.jpg.0fa6ce3070163b5b8750ef31ff786282.jpg

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, Monksilver said:

I am now reading one of my Christmas presents -

image.png.d7e5736aff502c5fd8cb61376cb59144.png

Seems rather apt even if written in the 1720s.

Read that a while back. A good insight into life at the time.

Currently into this: 41DW07BVjtL.jpg

Saw the recording of the play Peter O'Toole - Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell - YouTube a couple of weeks back, bloody brilliant and highly funny, so I thought I'd see the source material. About 25% through but not 100% convinced yet; it seems that most of the good stuff is in the play.

Edited by 216th_Cat

Oh bugger...:blush: my bad @Bremspropeller and @ZachariasX

I don't have Through To The End yet, but I reached out to the author, David Palmer to grab a hardbound copy. The book is 80 NZD and postage is another 70 NZD. I'll post more once I've read it. 

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1

I got this recently on a whim and its really well researched and written. Follows development of the engines pre-war to the end of 1945. Starts off with the schnider Trophy and the RR engines pre-runners to the merlins. Also goes into detail on the Daimler Benz v12 and probably the most detail and research into the JUMO 213 series engines. I got it for $60AUD and worth it. 

the Author works in F1 engine develop and said they are still using design philosophies from the WW2 engines. 

2020-03-24-06_21_46-8504-THE-SECRET-HORSEPOWER-RACE-WESTERN-FRONT-FIGHTER-ENGINE-DEVELOPMENT-_-M-1.png

Edited by Tyberan
3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Strange. I don’t see Terror in the Starboard Seat by Dave McIntosh in there.  

It’s not available on kindle in the States, but I have the hardback. A favorite read of mine. I have all the ORBs for 418 Sqdn but his mission chronology doesn’t match the official record. Nor can I find the details for the horrific crash and crew being burned alive unable to get out of the wreck. I’m working my way through all the Mosquito squadron ORBs.

10 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

What's the next best thing to "Terror..."?

I just finished that one.

Six Weeks of Blenheim Summer by Alistair Panton is a very immersive read.  Also Blenheim Strike by Theo Boiten is the daddy if you are interested in RAF low-level raids.  The Reich Intruders by Martin Bowman is one of his best efforts too. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Terror in the Starboard Seat

Also published as ' Mosquito Intruder' and available (in the UK at least) MUCH cheaper under that title.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife was good enough to buy me this book, which is pretty great so far. It's a fundamental look at the physics that dictate why a plane does what it's doing at any given time. A lot of the subjects are counter-intuitive to a beginner (though I'm not really one, at least when it comes to sims) and are explained really well.

Does anyone have recommendations for a book about combat maneuvers? That is something that I don't have any structured training in.

s-l400.jpg

Edited by unlikely_spider

Seen in the tips here, I read Daniel Defoe's Report about the plague in London too.

It had some overreligious passages but that's been normal in those times, I think. Interesting read.

1 minute ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Arnhem - Antony Beevor.

Got this in hardback. Wonderfully written, Beevor has an eye for picking out detail while also making sure you understand the wider picture.