Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

Books - What are you reading?

Still pushing through with Guns of August - about 75% of the way through.

In the meanwhile, I picked up a copy of America's Hundred Thousand this week. Never knew it would be as thick as a phonebook!

Lend-Lease and Soviet Aviation in the second world war by Vladimir Kotelnikov. 540 pages!

Picked up Crime and Punishment at a very cool used book store in Montreal. Going to read it after Paradise Lost.

And the prose in Paradise Lost is like eating a gallon of Haagen-dasz per page. It's beyond lusciously rich.

If you liked the Rudel´s book, you must read this one ...

Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot (Helmut Mahlke).

You are in the cockpit while reading the book and feel part of the action. I love it!

:soldier:

71NPypHr-pL.jpg

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

26 minutes ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

If you liked the Rudel´s book, you must read this one ...

Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot (Helmut Mahlke).

You are in the cockpit while reading the book and feel part of the action. I love it!

:soldier:

71NPypHr-pL.jpg

Likewise! https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Light-Original-Penguin-Collection/dp/0141042753/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544381489&sr=8-1&keywords=first+light

This one is brilliant. Have it on audiobook, and its a true story but feels like a novel really, and as you say makes you feel as if you are there. Kinda book that benefits greatly from a good narrator.

Really goes into the human side of things as well, not just the war, but the struggle to actually become a fighter pilot. At times I thought good lord, how many young pilots like him so desperately wanted the very thing that would end up getting them killed! Funny thing is I just finished the Geman aces speak (also have both volumes which are excellent) so I really came to see the human side of the German fighter pilots, and kinda felt for them hearing this book, in which they are mostly the hated (understandable) dehumanized enemy!

Do you know if Stuka pilot comes in audio format? Well, I shall check, cause I really wan't to hear a memoir of a stuka pilot!

German Stuka pilot! Can't imagine the odds were very good for those chaps, wot wot...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Likewise! https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Light-Original-Penguin-Collection/dp/0141042753/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544381489&sr=8-1&keywords=first+light

This one is brilliant. Have it on audiobook, and its a true story but feels like a novel really, and as you say makes you feel as if you are there. Kinda book that benefits greatly from a good narrator.

Really goes into the human side of things as well, not just the war, but the struggle to actually become a fighter pilot. At times I thought good lord, how many young pilots like him so desperately wanted the very thing that would end up getting them killed! Funny thing is I just finished the Geman aces speak (also have both volumes which are excellent) so I really came to see the human side of the German fighter pilots, and kinda felt for them hearing this book, in which they are mostly the hated (understandable) dehumanized enemy!

Do you know if Stuka pilot comes in audio format? Well, I shall check, cause I really wan't to hear a memoir of a stuka pilot!

German Stuka pilot! Can't imagine the odds were very good for those chaps, wot wot...

You will love that this one. I am still in the middle of the book and this pilot flew from the very beginning of the war in Poland. A lot of close calls that I will not tell you so I do not spoil the reading .... Now we are in Barbarossa!!! Every page is amazingly descriptive and well written. No politics at all, just a soldier in the call of duty.

Thanks for the FIRST LIGHT, I will certainly read it! :)

I am also looking for a BF110 Biography ... anyone? :gamer: 

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

This book in Danish is calling ' shoot down ' 

And it's a book all plane German / allies shoot down ww2 

And it's a very interesting book 

1F972DE2-E1B4-4D25-BDD7-B9A086359118.jpeg

Edited by Sire
!!!! Shoot down in Denmark !!!! 😆😁