TG1_Nil

Polikarpov U2 ❤️"Kukuruznik" Fan Club & Help

On 12/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, Juri_JS said:

If we want to use the U-2 how it was used historically, the bombsight is a must. Without it, we can only attack at treetop level, where the U-2 is extremely vulnerable to AAA.

I have to admit, that I am quite disappointed that the bombsight isn't working, although it's visible in outside view.

I'm actually quite curious about what realistic historic tactics are... it has been a long time since I read about them.

I also had a lot of trouble getting bombs to detonate reliably (from any altitude) without setting the fusing to 5 seconds.

I tried turning off the engine and gliding in at one point - but the engine wouldn't restart (not enough airspeed to spin the prop?). Is this correct? Did they only throttle down during attacks?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I'm actually quite curious about what realistic historic tactics are... it has been a long time since I read about them.

Here' some information I found on attack tactics:

They arrived near the point to be bombed at a high altitude, then put the engine at idle and glided in "silence" to avoid attracting the attention of the Germans, for whom it was too late by the time they noticed them. They dropped the bombs at a height of about 400 meters so as not to be hit by the fragments themselves, and then returned flying low to evade radar and enemy fighters. For the objectives considered important, such as Stalingrad, the Germans had powerful searchlights with which they could lighten the dark sky up to thousands of meters. In these cases the "Witches" studied another tactic: the attack team was usually composed of three planes, the first two had the task of being identified by the searchlights, once intercepted they performed a turn of ninety degrees, one opposite to the other, to be chased by the light beams, while the third biplane that followed at a distance entered the centre of the dark cone, lowered and struck. Then they changed the roles until all the planes had dropped their cargo.

found here:

https://www.gracpiacenza.com/night_witches_eng.html

If anyone has more information on tactics please post it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Yes I knew this plane would be difficult to use in this Sim. AA that can see on the other side of the Forrest and darkness. Gunners that do not warn. There are many things that need to be corrected before this plane can be used historical. 

@LuseKofte the issue with gunner that do not warn or too late is the major issue in any multiseat aircraft. Human can see contacts up to 10 km away...

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

I tried turning off the engine and gliding in at one point - but the engine wouldn't restart (not enough airspeed to spin the prop?). Is this correct? Did they only throttle down during attacks?

The engine can not restart in flight, this not a bug.

3 U2 in formation!!

437027557_IL-2SturmovikBattleofStalingradScreenshot2018_12.23-20_40_29_11.thumb.jpg.438d7ef498ebb47ab2e4c5b9d251f843.jpg

Rip my sad friend! With this, Il2 feels much more an horror sim... sadly this is like the reality . This reminds us how much the war is cruel.

2082856408_IL-2SturmovikBattleofStalingradScreenshot2018_12.24-18_44_49_42.thumb.jpg.66d5cc3b66d7fd92280d9f043e30ec51.jpg

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Yes I knew this plane would be difficult to use in this Sim. AA that can see on the other side of the Forrest and darkness. Gunners that do not warn. There are many things that need to be corrected before this plane can be used historical. 

AA can't see in darkness. Without searchlights AA will only target planes that fire their guns. As far as I can tell from the tests I've done for my nightfighter campaign, the only thing that stops us from using the U-2 like it was done in reality is the missing bombsight....well, and the missing SAB illumination bombs to make our targets visible during the night.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

AA can't see in darkness. Without searchlights AA will only target planes that fire their guns. As far as I can tell from the tests I've done for my nightfighter campaign, the only thing that stops us from using the U-2 like it was done in reality is the missing bombsight....well, and the missing SAB illumination bombs to make our targets visible during the night.

We could also do with cargo pods and maybe some AI tweaks in the campaign (He-111 night fighter AI anyone)?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

only thing that stops us from using the U-2 like it was done in reality is the missing bombsight....

The sight is there, not sure if it works though:

846911307_Sight1.thumb.jpg.18d6adf7a95fa536bb027e9ea9d6ad2a.jpg

1152639786_Sight2.thumb.jpg.7c4b8a930b37356043c68159cca22ee7.jpg

To see it clearly you have to use the rear pilot and for that the rear gun needs to be added in the armament section, strange that, you would think the aircraft could be flown from the back seat even without the gun in place.

My quick test of the bombs used the small dimple on the nose as a guide and a five second delay, no problem, quick and dirty but it worked.

This really is a great little aircraft, congratulations to all involved in making it work, may there be more types and the associated missions for them in the career.:drinks:

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas and New Year, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Ok did not know about aa did not see in dark. Because in qmb aa shot me down attacking a train.. but Iwas close and low over the train.

I have to check that again, I might  have been wounded by own bomb

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Ok did not know about aa did not see in dark. Because in qmb aa shot me down attacking a train.. but Iwas close and low over the train.

I haven't tested AA on trains, but I think it will be identical to stationary AA guns. They will see you when you fire your guns. Maybe they will also see you when you are very close, that's something I haven't tested.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Here' some information I found on attack tactics:

found here:

https://www.gracpiacenza.com/night_witches_eng.html

If anyone has more information on tactics please post it.

THX for that information. 🙂

6 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I confirm what Juri_Js said, about AA. And like him, i don't know for the AA train.

• Like 1

Ok I flew alongside the train this time. It do not fire. So what we need is a populated server that got night missions 😬

• Like 1

Hello.
I want to explain why U2 can not take off from the ground.
We have several types of land surfaces, but to make it clearer, consider the ground surface
which has 2 types of land - "flatten" (ground cover of the runway and adjacent territories) and "not flatten".
Respectively, "not flatten" have large bumps which do not prevent the take off of U2.
This is done to  emergency landing get more chances with the landing gear removed than with the landing gear.
Adding new types of ground (with other bumps and a coefficient of adhesion should be supported by a map (which tells the aircraft on what type of surface it has the right wheel of the chassis), and this is the new design of maps, the new technology of their creation, production tools that we cannot make now.

• Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

Concerning PO2 as potential training A/C.

As I usually fly LW, I do not yet have it.

But would consider if possible to use as a 2-seat trainer:

that is, one player take front seat as pilot--or student--

another player take back seat as instructor, rather than gunner.

TeamSpeak, etc, could provide the 'speaking tube'.

Custom skins for LW version, RAF version, US version--make it look a bit like a Bucker/Tiger Moth/Stearman,

etc, would allow it for use, with a bit of imagination, in universal training schemes.

There is a lot to learn to fly well in this excellent sim.

An hour or two of personal instruction for beginners would be to the student pilots advantage.

Especially for virtual squads, etc,, flying as a team.

Cheers. vonNutz

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A great plane to learn to fly.

A great plane to explore the terrain.

A great plane to learn to fly at night.

In fewers words, "A great plane". :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was waiting for this plane. Bought it as my first premium. I realise it's most known, at least in the West, as a night bomber but I hope we'll be able to explore the multipurpose nature of the U-2 in Career as well. In RoF I always enjoyed the less direct combat focused mission types such as artillery correction and recce.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, senseispcc said:

A great plane to learn to fly.

A great plane to explore the terrain.

A great plane to learn to fly at night.

In fewers words, "A great plane". :salute:

Yep, really enjoying this plane. It was a great choice to add to the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lmp1986 said:

I was waiting for this plane. Bought it as my first premium. I realise it's most known, at least in the West, as a night bomber but I hope we'll be able to explore the multipurpose nature of the U-2 in Career as well. In RoF I always enjoyed the less direct combat focused mission types such as artillery correction and recce.

Welcome to the community Imp1986! I am honored you write your first message on this topic.

Since there is the radio modification,  the artillery might be added on the future. I hope.

I also hope for logistic modifications

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome, TG1_Nil!

Yeah, transport or liaison missions and gear would be cool as well. I'd love to see missions that require us to land in clearings, behind enemy lines to deliver supplies and orders to partisans. But from airahusky's post I gather that is unlikely.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, airahusky said:

Hello.
I want to explain why U2 can not take off from the ground.
We have several types of land surfaces, but to make it clearer, consider the ground surface
which has 2 types of land - "flatten" (ground cover of the runway and adjacent territories) and "not flatten".
Respectively, "not flatten" have large bumps which do not prevent the take off of U2.
This is done to  emergency landing get more chances with the landing gear removed than with the landing gear.
Adding new types of ground (with other bumps and a coefficient of adhesion should be supported by a map (which tells the aircraft on what type of surface it has the right wheel of the chassis), and this is the new design of maps, the new technology of their creation, production tools that we cannot make now.

That is a shame.  A lot of the functionality and gameplay for the U2 depends on being able to take off and land in the field.  It will be of quite limited use to players as a result.

Have the developers considered a workaround, particularly in the career mode,  by setting up missions for the career which use roads as improvised forward airstrips?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That is a shame.  A lot of the functionality and gameplay for the U2 depends on being able to take off and land in the field.  It will be of quite limited use to players as a result.

Have the developers considered a workaround, particularly in the career mode,  by setting up missions for the career which use roads as improvised forward airstrips?

If I remember correctly, in the old Il-2 it was possible for mission builders to place invisible runways on the map to flatten the ground and make it useable for take-off and landing. I think this would also be the easiest solution for the problem we have right now and would probably not require huge changes to the existing map technology.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, airahusky said:

and this is the new design of maps, the new technology of their creation, production tools that we cannot make now.

I take this as in future maps we can take off  on some surfaces

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I take this as in future maps we can take off  on some surfaces

I take it as: sorry, no time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To go to all the trouble of getting this lovely little plane in game, and then not to be able to use it correctly is something I can't fathom  :(

Still, give it time... I'm sure they will find a way to use the bomb,sight, and to take off from rough strips and fields, also, to eventually get to use it in all of it's mission roles.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Or perhaps instead have an invisible object which applies a smoother ground texture, that can be placed in an LZ by mission makers, sort of a placeable runway (don't know if we have those in the editor at the moment) which doesn't replace the ground textures?

• Like 1

Refunded a couple games today on steam. Said F it and bought this little bird instead. 

20181227181351_1.thumb.jpg.827e1bc6e04ad2378b32abb3cffc1278.jpg

20181227180125_1.thumb.jpg.9653f627a765706fbb04dd507d934168.jpg

20181227175628_1.thumb.jpg.8015358f7c138259efc1e775a2c8f886.jpg

20181227174903_1.thumb.jpg.cd749347622c6076daee275df8d631d0.jpg

20181227184335_1.thumb.jpg.9256cd181fd5b6f14d0eedcfd0062d33.jpg

20181227190506_1.thumb.jpg.02e2e36545fb34558f65e35398d3e83e.jpg

20181227190106_1.thumb.jpg.cab5fa6ef588e8b4e855f7680ac50d73.jpg

Edited by NETSCAPE
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SeaSerpent said:

That last screenshot looks pretty darned cool.  What is that, like 'U2vs coming out of Hell', or something?😀

"tour de Stalingrad" ...so yes... hell. 

• Like 1

I just realized it would take 4 hours to fly this thing from Semisotka 0702 to Alder 2737 on the Kuban map. That might be the most hardcore mission lol. 

• Like 1

I love this thing. So fun to fly and see the map from up close.

That being said, it should be illegal for LW to shoot it down. Or at least immoral. Anyone shooting down something this cute and harmless deserves to feel bad! :)

• Like 1