TG1_Nil

Polikarpov U2 ❤️"Kukuruznik" Fan Club & Help

I find that with full throttle,full down elevator, and some waggling of the rudder you can get rolling again on open country ground, but good luck not nosing over or getting back to take off speed. 

Edited by thenorm
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TG1_Nil said:

I tried myself, and same problem, could not do anything off runway. Even worse, as soon as the tip of the wing touch the ground, it breaks despite some lower wing surface protection. I believe it needs to be fixed. As far as I know, this plane has off road capabilities.

I noticed the same problem and it's true, looks like a bug for me and it must be fixed.

The DM on the ground is too sensitive.

It's a STOL/Bush capable plane.

Recorded few minutes ago:

At the end: "Ivan!? How did You do this?!"

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

I've build such a mission, but it wasn't fun to play. The He-111 is just too sluggish as a nightfighter.

Oh? I suspect I'd rather enjoy it (I've tried simulating a Fw-58 nightfighter and it was a blast).

In real life the most effective night-fighter against the U-2 was the He-111 (with several aces).

5 hours ago, Plurp said:

To aim the gun, I used my #8 key snap view and modified it to look thru the gunsight, works like a charm. 

When ordered close to a target the gunner will fire at ground targets, but between his lousy aim and limited field of fire, he does not hit anything.

Side note:  While in external view, hit the reload gun key and watch the cable system re-cock the wing gun.  

I made a poll about this a week ago:

Please feel free to leave comments!

• Like 1

Regarding the inability to take off from open ground, doesn't this stem from a change made several years ago, which made the off-runway ground rougher in order to discourage people from taking off the parking areas in MP? 

• Upvote 1

When Team Daidalos released the U-2 for IL-2: 1946 they also published a video showing the operation of the bombsight in the right wing root. I can't seem to find it again. Does anybody know where I should look?

4 hours ago, ADorante said:

When Team Daidalos released the U-2 for IL-2: 1946 they also published a video showing the operation of the bombsight in the right wing root. I can't seem to find it again. Does anybody know where I should look?

Here's the video showing the use of the U-2 bombsight. Apparently it's simple but effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Btw. I added two bugs (according me) for U-2:

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 12:58 AM, AndyJWest said:

I've been trying to figure out from photos whether they all had elevator trim tabs. Some (e.g. the Shuttleworth one, and Kermit Weeks' one) definitely do, as do several museum examples. On the other hand this still (taken from the History Guy's Night Witches video) seems to show one with no tabs.

U-2-tail.png

The tabs are easy enough to see when fitted - not only are they often painted red, but the control cables run externally along the top of the tailplane, and they would be obvious here.  I suspect that maybe they were added somewhere during the U-2s 30-year production history, or maybe dropped as a cost-saving measure during wartime? Maybe the developers can shed some light on this.

Elevator trim has been introduced only after the war.

Dear Fans, Thank you for all your contributions in this topic! I am really happy to be part of this community.

Yersterday I flew on a MP server with another pilot, 

I was happy to see that several other pilots were flying the U2 to harass human tanks. It was very funny to see how they try to shoot us, and we tried to hit them with our small bombs! really this plane is so much fun !

Moreover, we were also strafing them just for fun. I wish we can kill the tank commander with this way if he open the hatch.

I even saw a U2 trying to shoot down a Stuka.

@YoYo Great Job! Here are the direct links of your messages. 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12259-flight-and-damage-models-physics/?do=findComment&comment=711304

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12255-graphics-models-and-maps/?do=findComment&comment=711302

@Juri_JS Thank you for helping the community. I was searching for this video but I could not find it.

@thenorm I do not think so as we can take off from the open ground with Tante Ju as long as it has momentum.

@Max_Damage For information, this picture is taken from a 1946 book

309866181_trimu2.JPG.995a252408078a6f2a15d1a7c04c704b.JPG

Edited by TG1_Nil

8PSla6E.jpg

azC9umU.jpg

U-2 crew doesnt like AAA ☠️.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I noticed a couple of things needed for this plane in order to survive online.

• It badly need as said before ability to take off in snow (with skiis) and grassfields
  • It need more than ever a gunner that warn you in time if attacked. They are totally useless in this and have always been
  • And I hate to admit it, since we can not take off from advanced bases (rough fields) we probably need airstarts on some of the missions on servers

What does the third lever do? I haven't been able to find a key binding that will shift it. Although I haven't tried raising the undercarriage... :blink:

GcEOWLz.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by 216th_Cat

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Fuel Cock?

I think that might be the Yellow lever underneath; it moves when the engine startup sequence gets underway. It's that blue/grey one that's puzzling me.

Something else that I noticed. The pilot doesn't have any bomb release handles, although the fittings for them are there. How does he get rid of the bombs if the guy in the back cockpit is incapacitated or falls out, etc?

• Like 1

Wow!

I love this plane.

Can anyone get above tree height with a full bomb and fuel load lol?

Also...I have tried to land on roads and fields and such and I also nose over almost every time. My questions is: should it actually be able to land on such strips? It is basically a very light byplane and it is not a Storch or the British one (Lanchester or Liesander), I forget the name of the British one.

This is not a STOL plane in game! But was it one IRL?

Edited by AeroAce

18 hours ago, TG1_Nil said:

@Max_Damage For information, this picture is taken from a 1946 book

309866181_trimu2.JPG.995a252408078a6f2a15d1a7c04c704b.JPG

Hi Nil ... check that book  for pilot panel pict...

Edited by Sita

45 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Wow!

I love this plane.

Also...I have tried to land on roads and fields and such and I also nose over almost every time. My questions is: should it actually be able to land on such strips? It is basically a very light byplane and it is not a Storch or the British one (Lanchester or Liesander), I forget the name of the British one.

29 minutes ago, Elem said:

Lysander...

lysander.jpg

Im Dyslexic so spelling it with a Lie is cool for me

I can’t climb with 80% fuel and 6 x50 kg bombs. Not when I take off online. I wish there was a way to get rid of the backseater he is dead weight. 

I am not claiming fault fm. But tried without forward gun witch was common and still it performance is not acceptable unless you reduce to 4x50 or 2x100 kg then I find it a pleasure. But most missions online is too short to be able to return home 

Edited by LuseKofte

37 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Wow!

I love this plane.

Full Fuel is waaay too much for most of the Stuff you will be doing, and even IRL they'd rarely take much more than 30 or 40 Liters which will get you through almost 1 hour of flying if leaned corrrectly. 

And if you take a normal, Civilian Fuel Load ot 60 or so Liters, you are at about 1 ton of Plane and 110hp for TO. It ain't gonna go like a lightened Supercub flown Solo. All the ones flown today are also somewhat more Powerful as they tend to run Higher Grade Fuels, more timing or the later 5.5 or 6:1 M-11s, instead of the M-11Ds 5:1, as 67 Octane ran out of use. Most of the Machines flying after the War were more in the 125 to 160hp Range for Agriculture and Aerotowing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

You can land it and take off in game from main roads (gravel and tarmac) without problems, just not drive of them as in real life cause you will damage it (You will hit a road ditch for example).

I dont konow if You fly real life planes or gliders and did any filed lanfings, but most terrains outside the airfields are not very siuted for landing (depends on the regions where You fly, in some places there are huge even fields which are almost as even as salt lakes, in other you have hilly terrain with only small patches sutable for landing) .

The best are  lowland stubble fields in August after the harvest which tend to have no ditches, gorges, holes etc. Meadows can be very deciving and very often are uneven and hold some diteches, holes etc where you can nose over etc. Plowed fields are quite good for gliders but not so for tail draggers (depends also on the size of the wheels - the big tundra wheels are very helpfull). If the terrain is hilly the situation gets worse an its more difficult to find good place to land.  

Edited by Carl_infar

3 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

What does the third lever do? I haven't been able to find a key binding that will shift it. Although I haven't tried raising the undercarriage... :blink:

From manual of Po-2 FSX version (but I cant confirm this):

PW3Ibbpl.jpg

HkRASe8l.jpg

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Carl_infar said:

You can land it and take off in game from main roads (gravel and tarmac) without problems, just not drive of them as in real life cause you will damage it (You will hit a road ditch for example).

I dont konow if You fly real life planes or gliders and did any filed lanfings, but most terrains outside the airfields are not very siuted for landing (depends on the regions where You fly, in some places there are huge even fields which are almost as even as salt lakes, in other you have hilly terrain with only small patches sutable for landing) .

The best are  lowland stubble fields in August after the harvest which tend to have no ditches, gorges, holes etc. Meadows can be very deciving and very often are uneven and hold some diteches, holes etc where you can nose over etc. Plowed fields are quite good for gliders but not so for tail draggers (depends also on the size of the wheels - the big tundra wheels are very helpfull). If the terrain is hilly the situation gets worse an its more difficult to find good place to land.  

My point is that is it is not very rugged as a STOL all terain AC like people want it to be!

9 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

My point is that is it is not very rugged as a STOL all terain AC like people want it to be!

Yeah I like it to be, but I am not sure it was historically. I never seen it take off from other than grass strip. I have read some articles about the plane and the pilots, I find this double decker to be different from a tiger moth. never really heard anything about its characteristics, only what they did.

Run take off (roll) for Po-2 is near 190 meters (manual of CSS 13).

Final roll is about 200 meters according pilots manual also.

Not full STOL, agree but almost STOL characteristics (it depends from the strength of wind and the weight for sure).

For example DHC-2 has about 180 meters for take off but Fi-186 ... 60-70 meters.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

125hp does not make her a bush plane or STOL in my book, even if you can make her soft field landings quite short. This is a light utility plane first and foremost.

Always land her nose high and very close to stall speed on final.

She’s actually a good trainer for the upcoming 1918 Halberstadt CL.II, which is far more powerful (200hp) and faster (175km/h) but of similar weight as the Po-2. Quite a bit harder to land, though.

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

From manual of Po-2 FSX version (but I cant confirm this):

PW3Ibbpl.jpg

HkRASe8l.jpg

Hmmm very interesting. I wonder if our Mixture lever is in error? We'd still have a dud lever though; Carb Heat is no use to us.

38 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Hmmm very interesting. I wonder if our Mixture lever is in error? We'd still have a dud lever though; Carb Heat is no use to us.

I'll checked a little deeper (its Carb.Heat):

s5a1xA8.jpg

zO3njpR.jpg

Pilot manual: http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/2149

Btw.

Id like to see also this bombsight:

tO36z4kh.jpg

7ES6hqCh.jpg

Example from old IL-2:

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 2

So we do have a lever mix-up. Hopefully it'll get fixed and they'll add the working bombsight at the same time - and the bomb release levers for the pilot. Well done on the research! :good:.

Cheers.

Edited by 216th_Cat
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

Btw.

Id like to see also this bombsight:

If we want to use the U-2 how it was used historically, the bombsight is a must. Without it, we can only attack at treetop level, where the U-2 is extremely vulnerable to AAA.

I have to admit, that I am quite disappointed that the bombsight isn't working, although it's visible in outside view.