TG1_Nil

Polikarpov U2 ❤️"Kukuruznik" Fan Club & Help

What sort of loadouts does it carry?   Are there parachute flares or air-ambulance stretcher pods included?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

No Elevator Trim. 

I've been trying to figure out from photos whether they all had elevator trim tabs. Some (e.g. the Shuttleworth one, and Kermit Weeks' one) definitely do, as do several museum examples. On the other hand this still (taken from the History Guy's Night Witches video) seems to show one with no tabs.

U-2-tail.png

The tabs are easy enough to see when fitted - not only are they often painted red, but the control cables run externally along the top of the tailplane, and they would be obvious here.  I suspect that maybe they were added somewhere during the U-2s 30-year production history, or maybe dropped as a cost-saving measure during wartime? Maybe the developers can shed some light on this.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, Feathered_IV said:

What sort of loadouts does it carry?   Are there parachute flares or air-ambulance stretcher pods included?

All mods and skins (default). 3.009, see this:

ymBo2Wnm.jpg  2gCFxOzm.jpg 

ls23asUm.jpg

Few more screenies at down:

mujlElnh.jpg

TFAqpR7m.jpg   CmWUeWem.jpg

Y4kqQhPh.jpg

The next Fi-156??? :)

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

If only I could get rid of the Bastard in the Cheap Seat. 

In RoF, if he got too obnoxious, you could shoot him with your revolver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The "radio transmitter" mod must mean that an artillery spot or reconnaissance mission capability is soon to be incorporated, right?  If not, then what does it do?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent said:

The "radio transmitter" mod must mean that an artillery spot or reconnaissance mission capability is soon to be incorporated, right?  If not, then what does it do?

Maybe it allows you to hear the AI repeatedly say that they are engaging the enemy, it’s close

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Well it do not do too well against shipping But what a wonderful model and damage model

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

Will have to test some more, but tried an off field landing to evade some 109s, but couldn't seem to get rolling again, anyone else had this issue? I'll much about with it more tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Well it do not do too well against shipping But what a wonderful model and damage model

Yeah, I QMB over some ships and... well similar experience.

7 hours ago, YoYo said:

(but You cant use second place with turret by player)

It is odd - the turret gun can be controlled actually - but the controls are flipped.

You can't use the second seat if the pintle gun isn't equipped though, and the bombsight doesn't seem to be programmed.

As for the next - they said they were looking at the Lisunov Li-2... (Fi-156 which you mentioned would be grand - but a Fw-189 would be more multi-role and has that glass bubble and MG81z defenses!)

7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

No just pistol flares (and no FC pistols). No parachute flares, air-ambulance pods, or cargo to be dropped unfortunately.

It'd be nice if they included a cargo crate at least (or had a loadout where a paratrooper replaced the gunner)... it'd open up more missions.

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thenorm said:

Will have to test some more, but tried an off field landing to evade some 109s, but couldn't seem to get rolling again, anyone else had this issue? I'll much about with it more tomorrow. 

You get  the same issue in the Ju52, the ground in BOX is really "sticky" and requires quite a bit of power to break free from. Which the U2 and the Ju52 don't have..   Tbh this "feature" needs turning down a bit as the ground really isn't as rough as IL2 makes it out to be in most cases. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, thenorm said:

I tried myself, and same problem, could not do anything off runway. Even worse, as soon as the tip of the wing touch the ground, it breaks despite some lower wing surface protection. I believe it needs to be fixed. As far as I know, this plane has off road capabilities. Moreover, the ground is too sticky! 

This plane seems very flimsy by the way, like a word war 1 plane. I thought it would a little bit more sturdy because it is heavier (empty weight: 770kg) 

I might be wrong of course, I am just wondering

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

You get  the same issue in the Ju52, the ground in BOX is really "sticky" and requires quite a bit of power to break free from. Which the U2 and the Ju52 don't have..   Tbh this "feature" needs turning down a bit as the ground really isn't as rough as IL2 makes it out to be in most cases. 

That’s a shame.  I’d hoped to be able to take off from small fields and improvised areas very close to the front.  Especially within the Career.    Having a two-hour round trip from the default airbases just to shoot out four trucks would be quite a chore. 

• Like 2

I don't know what's the hype for this plane. I found it pretty boring and waste of resources, but well... great for those who like it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@SJ_Butcher The problem is that they did a fantastic job on modeling this aircraft (Kudos to Third Party) but sadly there is no new gameplay for the moment.

I hope for new : Tank spotting and reporting to tank crew, artillery spotting, Off road landing and take off, drop passenger (spy/partisan) , Pick up  passenger, Medivac Modification, Cargo Modification, Ski Modification, Float Modification.

@Feathered_IV I agree with you. Given what it is right now, it is quite limited. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I don't know what's the hype for this plane. I found it pretty boring and waste of resources, but well... great for those who like it

It has a long, detailed history performing nearly every kind of mission under the sun (including a confirmed kill on a fighter jet) while having rather hopelessly poor performance. It's an interesting challenge performing missions against top of the line German fighter aircraft in something so miserably slow. You don't get that many opportunities to feel like a true underdog

Here's hoping for more mods for the Po-2, and eventually more underdogs like it. Personally I think a Swordfish would be a spectacular addition. Bombs, rockets, torpedos, depth charges... All strapped to the bottom of a fabric bag with wings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, TG1_Nil said:

@SJ_Butcher The problem is that they did a fantastic job on modeling this aircraft (Kudos to Third Party) but sadly there is no new gameplay for the moment.

I hope for new : Tank spotting and reporting to tank crew, artillery spotting, Off road landing and take off, drop passenger (spy/partisan) , Pick up  passenger, Medivac Modification, Cargo Modification, Ski Modification, Float Modification.

@Feathered_IV I agree with you. Given what it is right now, it is quite limited. 

Fingers crossed.  As a customer since 2009, I've got buyer's fatigue with regards to maps and planes just for their own sake.  I would eagerly pay for real advancements in gameplay though.

• Like 2

I only taken off with full fuel and 4 bombs. And it demanded the whole length of the runway. I never really read anything about the handling of U2 only what it was used for. And seen film. 

My impression was that it did not get the pilot to perform acrobatics and it flew just like it do in this game. We are talking about worlds most underpowered plane here. I lost ailerons in a attempt to catch up with the JU 52 and I will test it unarmed in a open field

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TG1_Nil said:

I hope for new : Tank spotting and reporting to tank crew, artillery spotting, Off road landing and take off, drop passenger (spy/partisan) , Pick up  passenger, Medivac Modification,

I think it will take long time since we have Ju-52 with 3 missions and two of them took almost year to get into career.

Most likely there will be few missions for U2 in next month.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Sadly don't have time to fly this one until next friday, but i'm looking forward to it. One question though. How fragile is it when it comes absorbing enemy fire? Can't imagine that crew had a lot off protection.

Grt M

• Like 1

@I./ZG1_Dutchvdm  It breaks very easily, like Flying circus planes

@Godspeed I believe this is mostly the cockpit, system , flight model and damage modeling that takes the most time.

I  had some fun yersterday with the german tanks on mp server... and they had fun with me I guess !

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That’s a shame.  I’d hoped to be able to take off from small fields and improvised areas very close to the front.  Especially within the Career.    Having a two-hour round trip from the default airbases just to shoot out four trucks would be quite a chore. 

Same here. That would be the main reason to buy it for me. 

• Like 2

@=LG=Coldman Wow, you are so skilled! congrats! I love your video, thanks!  By the way, how your bomb detonate? I took the same payload as you, but my bombs do not explode.

1 minute ago, TG1_Nil said:

@=LG=Coldman Wow, you are so skilled! congrats! I love your video, thanks!  By the way, how your bomb detonate? I took the same payload as you, but my bombs do not explode.

mine too if they are set to less than 5sec delay. Min 5 seconde delay on fuse and it will explode

Is this hole in the lower right wing kind of bombsight? 

• Thanks 1

I guess it's time to finish my 10.(NJ)/ZG 1 nightfighter campaign so we can hunt night witches over the Kuban. In the missions I've already finished, it's suprisingly difficult to shot down U-2s in the dark at low altitude because of their extremely slow speed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Fingers crossed.  As a customer since 2009, I've got buyer's fatigue with regards to maps and planes just for their own sake.  I would eagerly pay for real advancements in gameplay though.

I bought it  because I was one of the people asking for it. But like all other new planes with new feature I am sure there will be a use for it. It can not take of from a grass field and it could for real. Devs simply have to fix that without increasing power to the plane. I was amazed how “heavy” it felt in the air. I am used to light double deckers. However flying not faster than a car drives it will not make an impact with bombs  it need a reason to fly online it need to be invisible at night 

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

First flight I stuck it into the mud when landing next to a train. Both this and the inability to restart the aircraft while in the air need sorting out. Love flying it though :good:.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

the wing mounted gun is great fun, Tho aiming it is a pain, but fun non the less... BTW does anyone know if the gunner command to attack ground targets work? Would be fun to strafe a convoy and let the rear gun "rip" trough them as we go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

I guess it's time to finish my 10.(NJ)/ZG 1 nightfighter campaign so we can hunt night witches over the Kuban. In the missions I've already finished, it's suprisingly difficult to shot down U-2s in the dark at low altitude because of their extremely slow speed.

Or a He-111 night fighter campaign.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=218143

Grt M

4 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

I've build such a mission, but it wasn't fun to play. The He-111 is just too sluggish as a nightfighter.

Too bad, but i can understand why. 

What were the stand-in soviet bombers?

Grt M

Edited by I./ZG1_Dutchvdm

2 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:

the wing mounted gun is great fun, Tho aiming it is a pain, but fun non the less... BTW does anyone know if the gunner command to attack ground targets work? Would be fun to strafe a convoy and let the rear gun "rip" trough them as we go.

To aim the gun, I used my #8 key snap view and modified it to look thru the gunsight, works like a charm. 

When ordered close to a target the gunner will fire at ground targets, but between his lousy aim and limited field of fire, he does not hit anything.

Side note:  While in external view, hit the reload gun key and watch the cable system re-cock the wing gun.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1