Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

Vanilla VII or also "F"

The time line for FC 1 interests me, I wondered if it included the VII F or the plane Jane version.  I haven't played RoF for some time but the original VII was always seen as a bit of a dog when it came out and only really came into it's own with the separate release of the "F".  I assume the "F" is to late for the time line in question.?

It always troubled me that RoF had a couple of mid 18 on era aircraft competing against 1917 period Allied aircraft so if the "F" version isn't in the initial release but saved for a later 1918 plane set I personally would be quite happy.

The D.VIIF is probably being reserved for later, as it entered service in June 1918.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

The D.VIIF is probably being reserved for later, as it entered service in June 1918.

Interesting. Do you know if the Bristol F2B (F.II and F.III) and Halberstadt CL.II (regular and 200hp overcompressed) engine variants will be split as well?

They are currently sold as a single purchase in Rise of Flight, though the later engine variants would have only been in service by the summer of 2018.

I wouldn't mind paying twice for those. 😏

4 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

The time line for FC 1 interests me, I wondered if it included the VII F or the plane Jane version.  I haven't played RoF for some time but the original VII was always seen as a bit of a dog when it came out and only really came into it's own with the separate release of the "F".  I assume the "F" is to late for the time line in question.?

It always troubled me that RoF had a couple of mid 18 on era aircraft competing against 1917 period Allied aircraft so if the "F" version isn't in the initial release but saved for a later 1918 plane set I personally would be quite happy.

The "vanilla" Fokker D.VII has become quite a capable machine ever since the Sopwith Camel was toned down a bit.

I prefer it over the Albatros D.Va, as it's far sturdier and a steady gun platform. The Pfalz D.IIIa remains the odd one out in the current plane selection (I'd have gone for the DFW C.V), as is the Sopwith Dolphin (the Breguet 14.B2 might have made more sense), but it's good to have a few underdogs available too.

57 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Interesting. Do you know if the Bristol F2B (F.II and F.III) and Halberstadt CL.II (regular and 200hp overcompressed) engine variants will be split as well?

No idea, sorry. My guess is they'll be sold as one plane with an optional engine mod, like a number of planes on the WWII side.

8 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

No idea, sorry. My guess is they'll be sold as one plane with an optional engine mod, like a number of planes on the WWII side.

That would make the most sense.

Posted (edited)

this is from a post I had made on the RoF forum:

can't speak on individual Jastas, but I had done some calculations based on the production numbers of mercedes/BMW engines and DVII airframes found on the "Aerodrome" forum. German records are spotty, but it seems that a total of around 2600 DVIIs had been delivered to the front by oct. 31, 1918.

Out of that total, it seems around 700 had the BMW engine, around 400-500 the mercedes D.IIIa and around 1400-1500 the D.IIIau.

The BMW engine used a special benzene fuel due to its high compression. The D.IIIau could also have used that fuel, but it appears to have been available in only limted quantities and reserved for the BMW. From a purely fuel logistics point of view, it would have made more sense if squadrons had either BMW or D.IIIau engined planes and not a mix of both.

standard D.VII in april-may 1918 would have had a D.IIIa. The lack of a D.IIIau D.VII caused all sorts of handwringing in RoF. 

I would guess the Devs will follow the BoX playbook and offer both engine options.

The D.VIIF is different enough to be a separate plane.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

19 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

this is from a post I had made on the RoF forum:

standard D.VII in april-may 1918 would have had a D.IIIa. The lack of a D.IIIau D.VII caused all sorts of handwringing in RoF. 

I would guess the Devs will follow the BoX playbook and offer both engine options.

The D.VIIF is different enough to be a separate plane.

I thought I had read about MvR lamenting the lack of D.IIIaü engines holding back the deployment of the D.VII in any significant numbers.

I really don't think it would be a good idea to repeat the same "mistakes" we have seen in RoF.

When Halberstadt CL.II was released everybody was really happy because of the D.IIIau but as we know, the Fokker D.VIIau incredibly had never come to RoF.

https://riseofflight.com/store/aircraft/halberstadt-clii/

I understand that with the same FM they will save a lot of time and money, but this planeset is not enough this time, at least for me.

engine.png

In BoX new engine variants can be released later as field mods and added to existing planes. I think La-5 got new engine that way. So 1CGS can retrofit D.VII (and others, my highest hope is D.IIIa) with D.IIIau later.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LsV_Trupobaw said:

In BoX new engine variants can be released later as field mods and added to existing planes. I think La-5 got new engine that way. So 1CGS can retrofit D.VII (and others, my highest hope is D.IIIa) with D.IIIau later.

Yes, i also think it will be a modification. So even if it will be available right from the start (Vol1) mission creators will not include BMW in missions before it entered service.

Edited by bies

You'll get the already existing engine variants included. 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1