Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

2 hours ago, TheGreatCabbage said:

This is amazing, but could you please fix the VR experience on WMR headsets? Last time I checked, the cockpit scaling was tiny and the planes felt like toys.

Contrary to their poor marketing, WMR headsets are a great choice for VR games and especially flight sims! I can't afford to buy a Rift or Vive just for IL-2 sims.

this is fixed.... when did you last try?

• Upvote 2

I'm thrilled for the Flying Circus! Keep up the wonderful, and hard, work! 🙂

5 hours ago, HeavyCavalrySgt said:

Are we able to buy in yet?

Not yet, and if read things correctly we'll be able to as soon as they're ready to unleash early access on us. Same goes for the Tank game.

If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

• Upvote 1

I've been waiting a long time for WWI planes in VR. I'm really looking forward to it!

Cheers,

"make WWI great again"

Can't wait! I'll def pre order this asap.

• Haha 3

This news is as good as news gets! Jason, I’ll buy FC as soon as you are ready for my money. Even if FC would be ‘only’ as excellent as RoF I would instantly buy it just to support your WWI work, and it is going to be even better!

• Upvote 1

for me no progress ( or insignifiant ) beetween screens Rof vs Il2Bos serie for ww1 planes .

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sport02 said:

for me no progress ( or insignifiant ) beetween screens Rof vs Il2Bos serie for ww1 planes .

In game there definitely is :)

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, Hellbender said:

It's the saturation and the use of modern HDR techniques in IL-2 compared to RoF.

Rise of Flight has 75% saturation by default, which gives it a washed out "cinematic" look. You're used to this look, not how WW1 planes looked like in real life.

Well, I have fiddled with the HDR before, back and forth. But you may be right, I haven't seen FC's pics taken with my current ROF HDR, and the comparison could be more favorable then.

Also, and more critically, my computer is old. FC will most likely make better usage of good specs than ROF. I should really be comparing the games with maxed out specs. I'm sure in 320x200 CGA they look pretty much the same. Even the pics Jason posted I have to compare in my relatively poor monitor.

Edited by Bidu
complete the post

15 hours ago, Aloha-Snackbar said:

this is fixed.... when did you last try?

Thanks for the info, that's awesome. I haven't tried for a long while. Well done IL-2 team 🙂

12 hours ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

Not yet, and if read things correctly we'll be able to as soon as they're ready to unleash early access on us. Same goes for the Tank game.

If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

Thank you!

Psyched to see Arianna Scharfi make ace in a day with a Fokker VII versus P-51s.

• Thanks 1

I will support it when I have the extra cash available, but I am sure that you wont come close to equaling the AI  and single player immersion of Wings Over Flanders Fields..

Actually, I would really like the team to make an AI upgrade/overhaul a big priority as this is the greatest weakness of your products overall, though you have done a fine job elsewhere (and i acknowledge improvements have been made). 

Wish you the best of luck

:)

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, 216th_Cat said:

what is the real incentive to stump up for it all again?

VR.

That's the only reason I need - it's an instant purchase for me just because of that.

• Upvote 1

I'm ready to buy all of the RoF content again, in the improved game engine, and mainly just because VR is now going to be available for WW1 aircraft.  Can you imagine an Ilya Muromet, Felixstowe, or Gotha in VR?  This is going to be simply awesome...

So I am happy that Flying Circus will be here soon, along with Tank Crew for more VR tanks, combined arms, and so forth; 1CGS and 777 just keep getting better and better.

I keep checking store...

Edited by mpdugas
punctuation
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Milopapa said:

VR.

That's the only reason I need - it's an instant purchase for me just because of that.

Yep same here. I played and enjoyed ROF back when I was checking 777 out after the announcement of BoS, liked it fairly well.

Once I got VR though, everything changed.  I will definitely be ordering FC as it will have VR support. WWII combat is my first love, but I certainly can enjoy some WWI action also.

Of course I am happy you are doing Flying Circus, and will support it.

But I really hope, the wrong rudder/roll coupling, the fault that has been corrected in the BoX series, will be adressed some day. It is even more disturbing in WW1 planes, as you need the rudder much more !

3 minutes ago, Quax said:

But I really hope, the wrong rudder/roll coupling, the fault that has been corrected in the BoX series, will be adressed some day. It is even more disturbing in WW1 planes, as you need the rudder much more !

And yet just about every pilot account of flying WW1 planes that I have read says that you turn the aircraft on it's side to turn using the rudder, and only use ailerons for fine control. 

23 minutes ago, Quax said:

Can you detail „what is wrong“, or how do you want it to look like, for wich aircraft?

Indeed, I will buy FC for VR alone. And the planes are much more important to me than more maps. Even if we only get the FC Edition 1 map, I will want to buy every plane that is released (although obviously we need some water to operate the floatplanes from).

1 hour ago, ChiefWH said:

Woud it be possible please to split the DD announcement thread into a number of individual threads, maybe by month or quarter? Reason being I can never view them on my phone as the browser tends to crash trying to download it all, and even on a desktop it takes minutes to download all the images.

Me too.  The page is so overloaded with images that my browser times out.  The data required to load every image takes a big chunk out of my mobile's monthly quota too.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:51 PM, EAF_Ribbon said:

When you're too excited to read calmly, those things happen....sorry!

@Bidu i don't know do you own VR but solely cos of that it will be point of no return to RoF.

Ah, I would love to use it if it worked for me, but I use prescription glasses, and I've heard that with the weight and all it's not easy to fly a long time with it. I usually sit for two-hour periods, or more. I'm still checking the available options, like buying specific lenses to apply to the VR instead of wearing glasses, etc. I also find weird that the focusing distance in VR is fixed for every object. It's hard to spend so much money without being sure of the experience. Trying out for 5 minutes won't do. In the end, I may just stick with a bigger screen for a while, I'm not too worried with that.

3 hours ago, Bidu said:

Ah, I would love to use it if it worked for me, but I use prescription glasses, and I've heard that with the weight and all it's not easy to fly a long time with it. I usually sit for two-hour periods, or more. I'm still checking the available options, like buying specific lenses to apply to the VR instead of wearing glasses, etc. I also find weird that the focusing distance in VR is fixed for every object. It's hard to spend so much money without being sure of the experience. Trying out for 5 minutes won't do. In the end, I may just stick with a bigger screen for a while, I'm not too worried with that.

I hope you'll find a solution or manufacturer will improve them in the future!

Oculus rift can be purchased and returned under one month period i think.

I can fly it in VR for hours without problem but i don't wear glasses.

• Thanks 1

This DD made me crank up RoF again to scratch my WW1 itch. Just like every other time, I am still blown away by how great RoF still is. I think I will still keep RoF on my computer until the FC gets everything fleshed out. So if I'm in the mood for float planes on the channel or eastern front I can fire up RoF. I need to finish buying everything for it. I still need a few planes.

• Upvote 1

I wear glasses too with VR and it is not a problem at all. You may have to spend some time with someone who has VR to see what you need. I use my ‘far vision’ glasses. Perhaps visit a trade show where VR is shown, or go to an oculist for advice. The experience with VR is so mind-blowing that it will be worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The WWI stuff looks excellent, not sure visually what I prefer though, seems strange seeing the two game versions side by side, although the duller look of the new stuff is I think more appropriate due to the materials they used.:salute:

On the whole I think ROF was a superb game although I am looking forward to seeing the new map, never quite took to the old ones they always seemed a little washed out to me although the amazing lighting helped if they were viewed at certain times of day.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

The career mode in ROF is very important to me as the online play is not rewarding and my internet access is not up to it.

This is going to be really something special in VR and will order it immediately. Synchronising the modeled human pilot's head with the movement of the VR headset will be even more important. This is going to need a powerful fan to get fully immersed, given the absence of enclosed cockpits.

Edited by scrapmetal

7 hours ago, Bidu said:

I use progressives, and I bought the prescription lens inserts for my Vive.  The original Vive HMD was too low in resolution to make the inserts more than marginally valuable, but I bought the Vive Pro and use the prescription inserts for it, too; it has made all the difference in the world!

Text, in the form of gauges and on-screen messages, is now clear and crisp.  Once you try readable VR, there is simply no going back.  You'll be amazed at how tiny and tight these cockpits are!

The newer Vive Pro HMD also balances better (although I never had trouble with the original one), so weight and use time are not an issue, either.

If you can, give it a shot; there is NOTHING like a VR cockpit.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Can you detail „what is wrong“, or how do you want it to look like, for wich aircraft?

The devs know for sure. The same "fault" in the rudder / roll coupling, that has been corrected in BoX, is present in RoF. You can check the forum for details.

They have been explained by the devs themself. 

1 hour ago, Quax said:

The devs know for sure. The same "fault" in the rudder / roll coupling, that has been corrected in BoX, is present in RoF. You can check the forum for details.

Never flown WWI aircraft, sure, but I flew gliders for 7 years or so, and especially with the Schweizer 1-26, rudder was the dominant roll input surface given how much adverse yaw there was from the ailerons, I'm willing to believe what they had in RoF was accurate since construction between a WWI craft and a 1-26 isn't hugely different. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quax said:

I seriously doubt that WWI and WWII fighters behave in a similar fashion there. As unreasonable pointed out, most of these planes are „rudder first“ planes that are basically controlled by the rudder and just fine controlled by the ailerons. The adverse yaw induced by the ailerons is considerable.

How different planes can react to that you can see in RC airplanes. All traditional beginner models only feature rudder and elevator for control, and they do bank readily, some you can even spiral roll.

Among other, dihedral plus vertical center of gravity have an effect on this „roll coupling“ or specifically, dihedral effect. Biplanes can have a very high vertical center of gravity, especially sesquiplanes.

These old crates really fly different from what one is used to. To me, it seems rather like that the devs took parameters in their sim engine such that were tuned for those old planes, where such makes more sense. Putting a 109 flight model on that will not give correct results. The devs indicated these internal differences in the las DD.

5 hours ago, thenorm said:

Never flown WWI aircraft, sure, but I flew gliders for 7 years or so, and especially with the Schweizer 1-26, rudder was the dominant roll input surface given how much adverse yaw there was from the ailerons, I'm willing to believe what they had in RoF was accurate since construction between a WWI craft and a 1-26 isn't hugely different. 

Indeed, a good example.

Edited by ZachariasX

Fantastic news! I was waiting for RoF overhaul for a long time!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Stickshaker said:

I wear glasses too with VR and it is not a problem at all. You may have to spend some time with someone who has VR to see what you need. I use my ‘far vision’ glasses. Perhaps visit a trade show where VR is shown, or go to an oculist for advice. The experience with VR is so mind-blowing that it will be worth it!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

As to wearing glasses behind the VR lenses, some people have shown concern they might scratch either, as there's not much space in there.