Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

Thanks for the DD! Will be excited to fly in these beautiful birds! :salute:

This is really cool but I want to hear more about how the three products will interact with each other!

For example will I be able to go in to the QMB and set up a mission where I am in a Sopwith, trying to attack a Tiger tank with a 109 shooting at me? (which I would love btw)

Also if we have all these versions of the game under the same exe how will MP be handled?

SP campaigns will be easy to deal with because u can just select which one you want to play but the above I do wonder about and I am scared that we will end up splitting the limmited MP player base.

PS we need official servers again  for MP so we have consistency!

Edited by AeroAce

I haven't missed an early access yet. I'll ante up.

Fantastic job with the pilot models. Does the presence of the parachute pack on the German pilot mean bailing out is being coded into FC?

Great news.   

Will ll it be possible to fly FC aircraft over the TC map or will the eventual  FC map be something between the maps designed for fast moving WW2 birds and the more detailed TC map that might better adapt to the sedate pace of WW1 ? 

Really like the new screens... Even though ROF still looks really good the environment is much more sterile and "card board" looking than IL2. And the new lighting we got a few patches ago really improves the cold / washed out look that ROF unfortunately has in full glory. Thinking back, my major gripe with ROF was actually the "far forests" that are way too "distinct". Forests near the horizon looks like all the trees must be black ;) Not in the new engine...

And looking at the density of trees along the fields and roads in the new engine it really will improve the low level flying that happens a lot in ROF. Looking forward to see what has been done to no-mans land. A hard nut to crack that no flight sim has really succeeded in. And it will always look weird (as it must have done IRL). I think that it can't be ALL brown mud. Some grass mixed in between the craters might work?

I think Flying Circus is a huge mistake and should not be released. There are already too many aircraft to choose from in BoX and I find it extremely stressful deciding what a/c to fly as is without introducing yet more to choose from.

After sitting in front of the computer for up to an hour trying to make a decision what to fly I end up with a humongous headache that prevents me from flying anything.

The tragedy is I will still end up buying FC if Jason doesn’t heed my suggestion about not releasing it as the whole bloody series is addictive and in my opinion worse than drugs.

How many more families have to be destroyed by this series because of this addiction to computer time vs family time compounded by more and yet more new releases?

A Nonny Mouse

• Like 2
  • Haha 18

This is terrific news. 

Have to say I've been nervous that the great things in RoF are maintained and this seems to confirm they are. 

The Spad was always a beautiful model; cockpit, airframe, sounds and FM. 

The IL2 engine looks to be nicely adding to that.

Landscapes and clouds will probably have the biggest impact initially.

Can't wait!

superb stuff.

amazing what BoX has become and where it's going.

it looks brilliant!

Edited by OrLoK

11 minutes ago, Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz said:

Omg the faces actually look like real human beings, we need this in IL2!

agree! they seem to have more detail than the current ones we have for eastern front, I hope we get the same for late war pilot models.

This DD pleases me. Along with flight models is it safe to assume that the nice damage modelling for these birds that was in RoF will also be familiar to us RoF fliers?

Also, I think it is really a testament to how nicely RoF has aged in the comparison screenshots. IL-2 is a much 'warmer' looking engine and the lighting/shadowing is more advanced but dang, RoF is still holding it's own.

Thanks Jason and Team for making this a reality. WW1 VR..Pimax in hand soon..gonna be a nice summer/fall/winter.

When I see a buy button I will click it. 

Edited by Torso

Good luck to the new team. I hope it is a big success.  I will look forward to hearing more about what is being planned for the AI.  Maybe that could be the topic of a future DD?

Oh I hope that Flying Circus and IL2 share the same engine and are cross compatible projects.  My shame if that was already discussed.  Thank you for taking the mantle of the best team in flight simulation I currently know of.  Your team's projects are a delight.  Thanks for doing what you  do so well.

I will buy Flying Circus, and I will buy Tank Crew as well to support the team (even though I may end up enjoying tank fights).

I think flying those WWI airplanes in VR will be tremendous.
I like because the speed is much slower and it makes the dogfight more personal.
I can imagine that it was possible to identify a pilot's face if one could get real close. And that's why the pilots models are so very well crafted, I guess.
But for the same reason I agree with Luftschiff that the airplanes seems to need more work. During dogfights they will be seen longer and at a closer distance.
Anyway it is a WIP and in VR it may look different.

Woohoo!! WWI in VR, this is so awesome and it looks fantastic!

What can I say... Jason, you're really the best thing that happened to the combat flight sim world!

4 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Let's hope that it sells well - the screenies show that it will look better (love the pilots!), but at the same time also shows very clearly that it's a repeat of RoF as far as the aircraft are concerned. As I own everything that came out for RoF what is the real incentive to stump up for it all again? FC is even going to use the same FMs. I want it to succeed but am slightly dubious as to its chances - unlike Tank Crew which looks like it will fill a big need for a lot of folks. I still play RoF offline so will probably get hooked by this; let's hope a few others do as well.

The fact that this is being built to last, and for VR! I can tell you it looks amazing in VR, I been trying to get ROF to work in 3D and could never get it to work. Now with this announcement, I can assure you these WWI planes look fantastic from with in VR! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great announcement.  I cannot wait to support Flying Circus.  However little time I get for entertainment, this is how I want to spend it.  

Thanks Devs!  

Ceowulf<><    

Don't listen to the naysayers, Jason. This is honestly a dream come true for some of us. Being able to fly these old kites in VR is going to be the highlight of my year. I will continue to try to drum up support in the hopes that the beloved career mode makes an appearance at some point! Cheers!

3 hours ago, AeroAce said:

How stupid of you not to know that! 

Boy, that escalated quickly.

Oh man, very exciting news!

RoF is my first true love in flight simming and i can't wait to experience FC.

There will be whining about the decision to recycle the FMs and there will be clamoring for tweaks, especially to the Camel, but for my part I am still able to have a lot of fun in RoF as it stands. There is a nice level of parity and checks/balances between the various planes, and even if it isn't "perfect", it makes for a fun and very plausibly realistic gaming experience IMHO.

Can't wait, have held off investing in VR till this releases, looking forward to it!

Jason,

I appreciate that you guys are busy, but are you able to put together the usual quick video regarding FC, please?

My kids bought me a RoF box set and owing to code number issues with it, I returned it to the shop and swapped it with BOS and haven't looked back.

Therefore, I'm certainly keen to see FC up and running, ASAP. 

Regards

H

PS I'm willing for you to use my chiseled facial features if you need any models for future pilots!!  Those guys are good looking roosters!

PPS  Just told the Wife the computer is broken and that we now need to upgrade it, to be compatible with VR.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haza said:

Jason,

I appreciate that you guys are busy, but are you able to put together the usual quick video regarding FC, please?

My kids bought me a RoF box set and owing to code number issues with it, I returned it to the shop and swapped it with BOS and haven't looked back.

Therefore, I'm certainly keen to see FC up and running, ASAP. 

Regards

H

PS I'm willing for you to use my chiseled facial features if you need any models for future pilots!!  Those guys are good looking roosters!

PPS  Just told the Wife the computer is broken and that we now need to upgrade it, to be compatible with VR.  Fingers crossed!

It seems you may have managed to deceive her in that manner, but what will happen when you suddenly acquire a shiny new VR set???

Heads will roll!

Guys, don't expect all the features of "fully-developed RoF" in this first iteration of FC. Rather, you should compare it to the first RoF by NeoQB with four (4) flyables. With sufficient take-up by the community FC will develop into something amazing. I've always hoped for the AustroHungarian-Italian front with THE ALPS, Capronis, Phönix D.I's, etc, etc....

As for the RoF/FC screenie comparisons I just have one prediction: for 99% of simmers it will be impossible to go back to RoF after trying FC just once. That's just the way of computer gaming...

• Upvote 4

BEST DD EVER!!! 

Oh boy... This DD gives me goosebumps! I'm so happy that this is going to happen and so soon. 

I own RoF since the beginning and every content available. But I'm so much looking forward to this. Thanks You Jason that You haven't forgotten the WWI crowd. 😁

Edited by Blooddawn1942

I am not interested in the planeset nor in the map.

So, I may buy it, but for the moment, it is very low in my priority list

The moment you have noticed the pilot's hand looks better than in Skyrim.

Everything looks fantastic and it will be a great game!

I have only one small concern - if the devs can make FC to maintain original WW I style and mood like RoF which was awesome.:salute:

Edited by sereme1

The SPAD looks awesome.  Can't wait to fly it.  Really hope FC is a success so that more aircraft like the N24 and Salmson 2 can be added.

Looking great. Can't wait for an updated Rof. 

But why oh why not the best Rof plane, the Pfalz XII.....;-)

Jason, that geat news!! I‘m really looking forward to the release! Those screenies look very nice!

I very much am looking forward to go VR with that title. The planes are slower and fights take place with participants much closer to each other. I would guess that helps a lot to compensate the lower screen resolution on the VR goggles.

Awesome. :)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Certainly, there's also a difference between poring over screenshots and how something looks in motion -  Fret not, I do not doubt that it looks better in the new engine,  and as long as I get a WW1 sim where I get points for destroying buildings my bomber heart is pleased. I trust in turn you understand that any criticism or comparative lack of enthusiasm is coming from a place of love - Immense love, in fact, love for your previous project, and for your current project. Any comparisons being made is made to the top-tier quality of your current offerings - and I guess therein is the perceived issue. Comparing an IL2 plane with RoF, the leap in quality is immense and immediately noticeable - in these screenshots, possibly because it's a rework of old models rather than all new ones, it's just not as readily apparent is all. 

Thanks, Luftschiff, I could never had put it any better than this.

Also, the technology update to the new engine immediately justifies the upgrade, as it allows the game to evolve with your other offers, and paves the way for the future. I'd love the VR stuff, but I wear prescription glasses, and I usually play 2-hour sittings, so I don't know if I can make it in VR, but should it be so then that alone would probably justify the upgrade too.

I'm sorry if it seems like I was saying ROF is ugly, not my opinion at all, it has the most amazing visuals and I have often flown it just for that visual pleasure.

So much WIN! The pilots look amazing. The higher poly planes and 4k textures look amazing. The planes in the new lighting and landscape of DW engine looks amazing. I really can't wait for this to get fleshed out. Gimme gimme gimme! The map area looks great. Will it be the higher detail style of TC 100x100km map?

29 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

The moment you have noticed the pilot's hand looks better than in Skyrim.

Everything looks fantastic and it will be a great game!

I have only one small concern - if the devs can make FC to maintain original WW I style and mood like RoF which was awesome.:salute:

Funny that you mentioned Skyrim. I gave Jason advice on the route to personal financial mega-wealth and endless subsidy for WW1/2 sims years ago, without even asking for my usual consulting fee.

The answer is, as any fule kno, dragons.  RoF already had wing warping. A few dragons with amazon riders in chain mail bikinis and this whole franchise could have hundreds of people - and even a few elves -  working on it.  Also good steam reviews. ;)  

• Upvote 1

Fokker D.VIIau?

I understand the FM cloning from RoF, they are stunning, but we are stll waiting since 2009 for the most representative German scout in WW1, Fokker  D.VIIau and Albatros D.III Johannisthal. People who has bought everything for RoF need somenthing more this time from the DAY1.

D.VIIau as standard version for the FC Fokker D.VII and the bonus Albatros D.III Johannisthal could be a good solution.

Just a suggestion from a customer who have bought almost everything.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Funny that you mentioned Skyrim. I gave Jason advice on the route to personal financial mega-wealth and endless subsidy for WW1/2 sims years ago, without even asking for my usual consulting fee.

The answer is, as any fule kno, dragons.  RoF already had wing warping. A few dragons with amazon riders in chain mail bikinis and this whole franchise could have hundreds of people - and even a few elves -  working on it.  Also good steam reviews. ;)  

I have to ask... are you responsible for this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Bombshells-Royal-Dragon-Corps-Second/dp/1979482985

Reading this DD brought me back to all those years ago when I was looking at pictures of some WW1 sim made by NeoQb. I did not have high expectations then, but it turned out to be the best choise ever. I think, hope and expect this to be the case in this product. I absolutely LOVED the planes of WW1 and both the simplicity (instruments, weaponry etc) as well as the complexity of these new flying machines were mind boggling.  With this DD I'm that little kid in a candy store once more.

I love that you guys are doing this and I hope with all I've got this will succeed and the WW1 saga will expand.

Good luck to you Jason and team. Thumbs up!!

Edited by Bando
spelling
  • Like 1

I hope you will get enough money after tank game and this WW1 game and BoBP to actually fix some core stuff like net code.