Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:
Dear Friends,

Today I would like to tell you about what we plan for Flying Circus – Volume One and show you some WIP screens of our first two aircraft which are ready for Early Access release this month! But first let’s take a minute and talk about how we came to make Flying Circus and the challenges that we face in developing it.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 10

Awesome! :cool:

I guess we can't use these planes in the BOX maps. (I hope I'm wrong.) Oh well. Still very happy to have them and look forward to supporting the BOX team.

Definitely looking forwards to this. I've been desperately wanting WW1 since grabbing a VR headset. A nice long break from WW1 also helps. I'm completely burned out on WW2, WW1 should feel nice and fresh again.

Posted (edited)

Damm! My wallet is going to suffer!

Tank Crew and this gem will be bought for sure. Can't wait to experience WW1

Edited by LF_ManuV

It's not if I'll pre-order Flying Circus, but when?!?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Warpig said:

It's not if I'll pre-order Flying Circus, but when?!?

Same with Tank Crew

Nice....I m looking forward for my old DR 1..

When the preorder will be ready?

Posted (edited)

For us to bring WWI to you in any reasonable amount of time, we have decided to use the Flight Models from ROF...

...they stand the test of time and there is no reason to toss them and start over...

...these FMs were built for an engine that was created solely for WW1 speeds and maneuvers etc. It was more prudent to build support for these FMs in the current WW2 focused engine, then to completely re-make these FMs with an engine designed for heavier and faster aircraft in WW2. In essence, we’ve been able to make both regimes co-exist side by side within the same environment without compromising the feeling of flight or their unique characteristics. Our engineering team as done a marvelous job building this support in just a few months! Without this work, Flying Circus would not be possible.

I seriously respect your team's hard work. I missed ROF since I had no PC at the time... can't wait to fly these!

Edited by obit

There´s no question, I´m in !!! (ROF still looks great on the screenshots btw).

But I really hope that we will get sp career mode one day. Everyone prepare your money!!! Its a must buy

• Upvote 2

Thank you, Jason! This is excellent news.

Looking great, sounds like the next few months will be pretty exciting for the studio with all these new product launches!

I look forward to the early access of TC and FC.

Is that a parachute for the German pilot model? 😄 Hope something like the old skin system can be added, especially if/when career mode is re-introduced, so much variety and beauty to the paint jobs back then, would be a real shame to not get to see them appearing in career. Long way to go till career is a concern, though, so I' m sure something will be worked out. 

Let's hope that it sells well - the screenies show that it will look better (love the pilots!), but at the same time also shows very clearly that it's a repeat of RoF as far as the aircraft are concerned. As I own everything that came out for RoF what is the real incentive to stump up for it all again? FC is even going to use the same FMs. I want it to succeed but am slightly dubious as to its chances - unlike Tank Crew which looks like it will fill a big need for a lot of folks. I still play RoF offline so will probably get hooked by this; let's hope a few others do as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Nice -  love the comparison shots - personally undecided on the tank game - but definitely in for this one...

Posted (edited)

So, if you like anything about Flying Circus please support us by buying a copy

I am not into WW1 planes,

I am not into tanks as well

But  I will definitively buy both products since you guys are an amazing Team and need all our support.

You realized my dreams with transports planes and many other uniques things, so helping you to realize your project is the least I can do!

Keep up your amazing work!

Love you ❤️

Edited by 1./TG1_Nil
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait to see how no-man's-land will look in this one. Can only imagine how awesome VR is going to be in this sim.

15 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Let's hope that it sells well - the screenies show that it will look better (love the pilots!), but at the same time also shows very clearly that it's a repeat of RoF as far as the aircraft are concerned. As I own everything that came out for RoF what is the real incentive to stump up for it all again? FC is even going to use the same FMs. I want it to succeed but am slightly dubious as to its chances - unlike Tank Crew which looks like it will fill a big need for a lot of folks. I still play RoF offline so will probably get hooked by this; let's hope a few others do as well.

If you ever want new WWI planes to become a reality you really should support FC1.

Jason

• Upvote 9

I'm amazed by how much crisper the shadow resolution is in RoF compared to IL2, it took me several pictures in before I even realised half of them were from Rise of Flight. I support the team and as an avid WW1 fan I'll certainly buy it, but visually... With the fantastic cockpit quality of the last few IL2 releases I guess somehow I was expecting more? 

Very sad to hear the career won't be coming, that's sort of my entire thing, but I can understand the reasoning. Here's to hoping it'll pop along sometime in the future, and until then I guess Rise of Flight is still a fantastic (and great looking!) option. Clear prop!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Luftschiff said:

I'm amazed by how much crisper the shadow resolution is in RoF compared to IL2, it took me several pictures in before I even realised half of them were from Rise of Flight. I support the team and as an avid WW1 fan I'll certainly buy it, but visually... With the fantastic cockpit quality of the last few IL2 releases I guess somehow I was expecting more? 

Very sad to hear the career won't be coming, that's sort of my entire thing, but I can understand the reasoning. Here's to hoping it'll pop along sometime in the future, and until then I guess Rise of Flight is still a fantastic (and great looking!) option. Clear prop!

IL-2 Shadows are better all around period. ROF uses a similar system and it depends on angles and graphics settings etc. don't just let these few hastily done screens dictate how you feel. Notice the shadows in the FC cockpits. Trust me FC looks much better in-game than ROF. Sure they look similar, but everything is better in IL-2 engine.

And there is no "reasoning" about the career. It's just not possible at this stage.

Jason 

• Upvote 10

I loved RoF. I think FC will look amazing in VR.

• Like 1

Thanks for this DD Jason great news and looking forward to FC . 

Posted (edited)

Great news! I surely will be buying the game as soon as I can throw my money at you. Hell, I'll probably buy a new computer to make the most of it.

Having said that, I'd still like to mention something not so enthusiastic.

Admittedly, I am not the best judge on the look of things. I see dramatic progress on the pilots' looks compared with ROF. However, looking at the planes, I don't see the same level of progress. Actually, what I mean is this: ROF has a bit of "cartoonish" look to it. For me, it doesn't change the fact that it is the best game ever, and I'd play it forever. But in IL2 (which I don't really play often due to weird stutters) the WW2 planes seem to me to have gone beyond that "cartoonish" look and become most convincingly real. I hoped that might happen in FC, and I don't quite see it yet. Does anyone else feel this? I mean, they are not worse, I can certainly see more detail here and there. But is it yet at the same level of effort as those WW2 planes? Is it lacking castor oil all over? Ideas, anyone?

I am a devoted and grateful fan. Sorry if I'm hitting a low note here. I mean to be constructive about it, but I easily admit I don't know much about graphic art.

Looking forward to more pics, it was great having access to this. Thanks!

P.S: Just reading Luftschiff's opinion and Jason's answer up there. Yeah, things like those shadows, the detail on the wires, etc. are great. But I'm with Luftschiff that there's something that still doesn't "click" like in IL2.

Edited by Bidu
  • Upvote 1

Wonderful News!! If I may ask? Is this the same 3rd party team that works with DCS? 

I'm curious. If some of the pilots will have parachutes, will there be pilots who jump without a parachute? (ie fall to their death)

6 minutes ago, Bidu said:

Great news! I surely will be buying the game as soon as I can throw my money at you. Hell, I'll probably buy a new computer to make the most of it.

Having said that, I'd still like to mention something not so enthusiastic.

Admittedly, I am not the best judge on the look of things. I see dramatic progress on the pilots' looks compared with ROF. However, looking at the planes, I don't see the same level of progress. Actually, what I mean is this: ROF has a bit of "cartoonish" look to it. For me, it doesn't change the fact that it is the best game ever, and I'd play it forever. But in IL2 (which I don't really play often due to weird stutters) the WW2 planes seem to me to have gone beyond that "cartoonish" look and become most convincingly real. I hoped that might happen in FC, and I don't quite see it yet. Does anyone else feel this? I mean, they are not worse, I can certainly see more detail here and there. But is it yet at the same level of effort as those WW2 planes? Is it lacking castor oil all over? Ideas, anyone?

I am a devoted and grateful fan. Sorry if I'm hitting a low note here. I mean to be constructive about it, but I easily admit I don't know much about graphic art.

Looking forward to more pics, it was great having access to this. Thanks!

P.S: Just reading Luftschiff's opinion and Jason's answer up there. Yeah, things like those shadows, the detail on the wires, etc. are great. But I'm with Luftschiff that there's something that still doesn't "click" like in IL2.

Sorry but you're wrong. The visuals will be better in IL-2 all around. And we never said our models in ROF sucked or were extremely low poly, now they have thousands of more ploys. There comes a point when just adding polys for the sake of adding polys has diminishing returns. The lighting and spec maps in IL-2 are much more realistic then in ROF all around.

Anyways, never let a good DD spoil the fun. Not sure what you guys are expecting. ROF was never an ugly product.

Jason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Wow i thought it was in the store for preorder so i went to check......

Anyway great news, me and my buddy are in!

Guys,

We say right in the top of the DD that Early Access is coming later this month. There will be no Pre-Order period. Straight to EA.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

Guys,

We say right in the top of the DD that Early Access is coming later this month. There will be no Pre-Order period. Straight to EA.

Jason

When you're too excited to read calmly, those things happen....sorry!

@Bidu i don't know do you own VR but solely cos of that it will be point of no return to RoF.

Hi Jason,Would you consider doing another Iive Q & A Like you did when BOBP was announced? I found it was very informative.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

What I'm seeing so far is very much to my liking. I love the new canvas look of the SPAD (oh, and that worn out paint on the rudder... looks marvelous...) Pity there's these jaggy edges on everything against clouds, (which may be the reason why Bidu hasn't had his "click" yet 😋), but I'm sure you'll squish this bug soon. Will preorder buy FC & TC as soon as they're available.

Edited by LsV_Jakob
  • Upvote 1

IL-2 Shadows are better all around period. ROF uses a similar system and it depends on angles and graphics settings etc. don't just let these few hastily done screens dictate how you feel. Notice the shadows in the FC cockpits. Trust me FC looks much better in-game than ROF. Sure they look similar, but everything is better in IL-2 engine.

Jason 

Certainly, there's also a difference between poring over screenshots and how something looks in motion -  Fret not, I do not doubt that it looks better in the new engine,  and as long as I get a WW1 sim where I get points for destroying buildings my bomber heart is pleased. I trust in turn you understand that any criticism or comparative lack of enthusiasm is coming from a place of love - Immense love, in fact, love for your previous project, and for your current project. Any comparisons being made is made to the top-tier quality of your current offerings - and I guess therein is the perceived issue. Comparing an IL2 plane with RoF, the leap in quality is immense and immediately noticeable - in these screenshots, possibly because it's a rework of old models rather than all new ones, it's just not as readily apparent is all. 

• Upvote 2

Really excited about this coming out. One thing I'm curious about though is the sounds, will the sounds be updated to higher quality or will they just be reused from RoF?

5 minutes ago, Phantom-103 said:

Hi Jason,Would you consider doing another Iive Q & A Like you did when BOBP was announced? I found it was very informative.

Probably not, it devolved into a never ending complaint session. I will probably do a more in depth audio interview with Shamrock soon.

Jason

Just now, Legioneod said:

Really excited about this coming out. One thing I'm curious about though is the sounds, will the sounds be updated to higher quality or will they just be reused from RoF?

Depends on what our sound engineer wants to do. Some sounds will be different of course, which ones can't say at the moment.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Probably not, it devolved into a never ending complaint session. I will probably do a more in depth audio interview with Shamrock soon.

Jason

Excellent idea!

Shamrock's site is great. :cool:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Anyways, never let a good DD spoil the fun.

I totally agree, do not judge by the screens.

You know the team is doing the very best to produce quality content.

I have played a little with ROF, and all I can say is IL2 is much better graphically, and be sure the quality of Flying Circus will be as good or better as WW2 content . Also Yugra Media know how to do quality modelling, just look at the Po2 sceens!!

2 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Depends on what our sound engineer wants to do. Some sounds will be different of course, which ones can't say at the moment.

Jason

Ok cool. Can't wait to get my hands on Flying Circus and Tank Crew. Great job all around.

Posted (edited)

Great news, love the pilots and the 2 updated planes look much better in my opinion, I own ROF but never got into it... I didn't have TrackIr and the 2 (3) wings always got in the way of seeing the enemy aircraft!  Can't wait to fly VR in Flying Circus.... when I'm not playing Tank Crew :rolleyes:

Edited by stiboo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2