Finkeren

Another one of those little details

6 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

LOL cmon dude....

Were talking canned animations vs real physics calculations going on.

OK maybe I am looking back with rose-tinted glasses 🙂 but  I stand by my assertion that we got too bogged down in pretty graphics to the detriment of gameplay features for a long time and for all its vaunted 'real physics' it was wasted in the first versions of BoS because you either missed the target (assuming you could actually see it) or you hit it and it instantly became a fireball.  It was like Hollywood in the 70s & 80s when every time a baddies car left the road it spontaneously exploded in mid air 🙂 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Yet for all this, there are still things that were present in very old flight sims that we do not have now.     

In 'Fighter Squadron: Screaming Demons Over Europe', released in 1999,  I remember accidently clipping another plane with my prop and it took half his tailplane off & bent my prop which caused the engine to vibrate and over the next 5 minutes the vibration got worse & worse and the engine started to leak oil until finally it failed.  In BoX you can bend your props but it just causes the engine to stop instantly or you can hit something without bending the props and it flies on without any problems.

This is one of the things I'd like to see improved about BoX.

Prop trikes shouldn't always result in engine failure like they do in-game. It'd be nice to be able to make it back to base after a prop strike every once in a while but in BoX it's always a death sentence.

Also hitting trees should not always bend your prop.

There should also be various degrees of damage to the prop.

Edited by Legioneod

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

OK maybe I am looking back with rose-tinted glasses 🙂 but  I stand by my assertion that we got too bogged down in pretty graphics to the detriment of gameplay features for a long time and for all its vaunted 'real physics' it was wasted in the first versions of BoS because you either missed the target (assuming you could actually see it) or you hit it and it instantly became a fireball.  It was like Hollywood in the 70s & 80s when every time a baddies car left the road it spontaneously exploded in mid air 🙂 

Don't worry we all look back in the same ways. Just remember a large part in the graphical prowess of modern sims is thanks to the insane rate of dedicated graphic card development. GPU's have long been blowing CPU development out of the water. Most of the pretty things you see are thanks to the GPU. Multicore coding is difficult. We have plenty of CPU power left over for various things, could dedicate entire cores to just the AI, writing and making that code work in parallel to everything is the hard part.

Edited by JonRedcorn

On 4/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Yet for all this, there are still things that were present in very old flight sims that we do not have now.     

In 'Fighter Squadron: Screaming Demons Over Europe', released in 1999,  I remember accidently clipping another plane with my prop and it took half his tailplane off & bent my prop which caused the engine to vibrate and over the next 5 minutes the vibration got worse & worse and the engine started to leak oil until finally it failed.  In BoX you can bend your props but it just causes the engine to stop instantly or you can hit something without bending the props and it flies on without any problems.

In that same game I remember making a very heavy landing and a wheel breaking off and after sliding to a halt I was amazed to see that loose wheel rolling in front of me on the runway in a diminishing spiral until it fell over just as a rolling wheel does in real life.

Way back in 1994 '1942: Pacific Air War' came out and if you shot a wing off an enemy it first flew off wildly tumbling mainly along its long axis then sometimes it would settle into something more like a sycamore seeds helicopter-like motion as it spiralled down. That was 25 years ago!

On the whole most of these games had very detailed damage models with damage being shown where it happened and getting worse where appropriate.  Even in IL 1946 you would see He111s engines being set on fire then the fire spreading inwards until it set off the fuel tanks in the wing root and blew the wing off which was known to be an issue in real life; if the engine caught fire you bailed as quickly as you could!.  You don't see that in BoX.

I think that game designers at some point decided to switch all their attention and available CPU power to making the graphics the best they could and now struggle to have enough CPU left to handle fine details in DM & Physics.    Even in other types of games there was a shift in the first part of the Millenium away from good gameplay & adequate graphics to great eye candy & shallow gameplay though I believe we are now getting better gameplay again.

I can’t count the number of times in IL2 I’ve seen my wheel assembly go rolling past me after landing. And ailerons,. And the occasional rudder.

I fly exclusively in VR now and tonight was the first time I’ve noticed after doing an emergency landing in my Stuka some of the cracked panel gauges that occurred during a rough landing. Crazy details like this is why I fly my overwhelmingly VAST majority of time within the 1C world.

Oh, and the occasional appearance of God rays under the right conditions is absolutely beautifully done. As long as 1C and it’s co-developers is around, they’ve got my money.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 2:00 PM, 307_Tomcat said:

image.thumb.png.427e34400637700b2f7711055f5f4406.png

Reflector sight... On a WW1 plane? Whats going on in the pic :)

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Reflector sight... On a WW1 plane? Whats going on in the pic :)

Yes , sorry for easy source :

Since their invention in 1900, reflector sights have come to be used as gun sights on all kinds of weapons. They were used on fighter aircraft, in a limited capacity in World War I, widely used in World War II, 

Source Wikipedia

40 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Yes , sorry for easy source :

Since their invention in 1900, reflector sights have come to be used as gun sights on all kinds of weapons. They were used on fighter aircraft, in a limited capacity in World War I, widely used in World War II, 

Source Wikipedia

Thank you.  Is this modified or..  Because it looks like the pic is photoshopped to put a sight in front of thw guns

Or is this a screen from FC?

Now looking harder it seems less photoshopped. What plane is that?

4 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Thank you.  Is this modified or..  Because it looks like the pic is photoshopped to put a sight in front of thw guns

Or is this a screen from FC?

Now looking harder it seems less photoshopped. What plane is that?

No Photoshop here - it's real from FC.

All of the German fighters currently modeled in Flying Circus have the option to fit a reflector sight. They did see limited operational usage during the war. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

No Photoshop here - it's real from FC.

Wow interesting. Never knew that thanks

@LukeFF you as well 

Back to the topic -

For the first time In game a plane I shot down (109 F2 or F4) didnt just catch fire or break apart or crash - it literally exploded in a fireball and I flew through it thankfully without damage. I was pretty surprised though as Id never made an enemy plane just totally blow up in mid air and certainly not with 2 MMGs on the Yak1.  Then again I was hosing him pretty hard precisely because I was down to only the mgs

Also on the hitting the canopy and making it "pop" off - Ive done it 2x since I read about it. Interestingly its always happened with 110s (I have a suspicion a Ju87 did this too once when I was shooting at it)

I wonder if this happened in real life.  I dont recall ever hearing of it but that doesnt mean anything.  Ive wondered too perhaps about some canopies having small charges to blow off in an emergency - if a round ever set those charges off.  Maybe thats what makes the 110 canopies pop off?

For all of my many many hours in this sim, the only time I have seen a plane blow up in the air is after it has been on fire for about 30 seconds.  I have never seen one instantly blow.

7 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

For all of my many many hours in this sim, the only time I have seen a plane blow up in the air is after it has been on fire for about 30 seconds.  I have never seen one instantly blow.

I have seen an HS 129 blow immediately after hitting it with some well placed cannon shots.

It was in VR and let me tell ya it was quite startling.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

I have had tons of cases of all aircraft blowing up instantly, just the other day i landed a massive burst into a fw190a8 from 8 freedom dispensers , not sure if it was ammo that exploded or the fuel but nevertheless it was a big boom. 

With 230 sp hours on the clock I saw planes blow up instantly about 3 times.

About the thread, I had a mission where one of my flaps got blow off by flak. Didn`t really think the game would make me realise it till on the final landing approach. Once I lowered the right flap, the plane started to fly sideways. Luckily I was able to land safely, but it was close.

Don't have steam but I guestimate that I have 5000hrs since release and I have not seen one instantly blow.  Maybe a combination of it being rare and not being a good shot.

Also it is only with the more recent planes that I'm starting to notice smaller bits like wheels being blown off by gun fire.

6 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Don't have steam but I guestimate that I have 5000hrs since release and I have not seen one instantly blow.  Maybe a combination of it being rare and not being a good shot.

Also it is only with the more recent planes that I'm starting to notice smaller bits like wheels being blown off by gun fire.

Put some hs129's up in quick mission and start shooting, one of them will explode.

6 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Its kinda rare but not impossible, with good aim and a bit of luck, you can reproduce that shooting at the enemy ammo store. For some reason the hs129 "duckling" likes to burst more than the other planes, load some of the poor bastards on quick mission and try it :)

This was a 110 but I believe it about the HS129.  I like that ugly plane too. Nice view of the ground rushing up at you.

At least its easy to stay on speed - just max it out and its always at 300 km/h (smh)

This case with the plane exploding I think was because I hosed him so much.  The Yak was out of cannon and I knew they were 7.62s so instead of few round bursts I was doing noticeably longer bursts.. 

I probably ended up putting a LOT of bullets into the 110 and they must have just hit some magic spot.

Id never seen it in any stream.  Planes fold in, wings rip off, flaming engines all that yeah.  Blowing apart like a bombs on board? That was new. I cursed at first but the Yak didnt seem any worse off

It’s the little details.

Like taxiing in with your Bf 109 G-2 after a good mission in Career only to find yourself in your VR cockpit shouting “No, no, no!” to one of those ground crew zombies who walks straight into your right wingtip before you could stop and subsequently ends up face planting himself into the terra-firma. 

In IL-2 FB, i remember that you could often lose control of the elevators or ailerons when hit in the tail section. It didnt happen to me in BoX yet. Does it still happen?

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, AeroAce said:

I've seen it a couple of times, Captured a p40 blowing up on the old style campaign.

this was quite a thrilling a mission actually, had to taxi to the runway and stay with your leader. The mission starts with the airfield under attack. Vid is time stamped about 10 secs before the explosion.

Edited by =11=Herne

Don't have a picture, but the other day while trying to bail out of my E-7, the Yak behind me managed to hit the bottom of the fuselage, opening a hole, and  the "virtual me" was stuck in the cockpit, unable to jump... until we crashed 😕

Eheheh, incredible!

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2019 at 2:18 AM, Fennec said:

In IL-2 FB, i remember that you could often lose control of the elevators or ailerons when hit in the tail section. It didnt happen to me in BoX yet. Does it still happen?

Yep, still happens. Seems to be two variations, a jam and loss of control. I have had alerons and things go floppy on me (makes landing interesting) and recently barely made it back over to friendly territory in a P-40 mission when my elevators jammed a few degrees up. Had to keep rolling side to side to maintain a sembalance of level flight, and bailed out over friendly territory when I finally ran out of fuel (tanks were leaking)

• Thanks 1

Do you guys mean you are esploding the planes in mid air to the same degree as when they lawn dart into the ground (ie: fuselage de-materializes, lots of flames, wings flutter about)? I have detonated the ammo containers a plenty of times, but it "just" blows a wing off and the fusulage+remaning wing spiral in. 

25 minutes ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Do you guys mean you are esploding the planes in mid air to the same degree as when they lawn dart into the ground (ie: fuselage de-materializes, lots of flames, wings flutter about)? I have detonated the ammo containers a plenty of times, but it "just" blows a wing off and the fusulage+remaning wing spiral in. 

I am not sure a fighter completely disintegrating in mid air would be that realistic.   If the ammo in the wings blows then I would expect to see what we seen in game.  Why would the fuselage and other  wing explode?   If you hit the fuel tank in the fuselage it would probably just burst into flames and *maybe* lose a wing but still not get blown into tiny pieces.  You have been watching too many 70s shows where cars always exploded as soon as they came off the road as if there was a pressure switch on the suspension. 😄

I suspect even getting blown to fragments whenever they lawn dart is not that accurate.  It is surprising how often you hear of wrecked planes being found deep underground because when they crashed they penetrated the ground to 20-30ft.  As these are often wrecks of planes they were seen going in near a friendly town, sometimes within a town. As you would expect people to recover the body wherever possible it would seem indicate that planes going in nose first sometimes just vanished beyond recovery.  Here is an example.  It is not in a town but I am sure I read about one being found under an English street recently that nobody had realised was there https://www.newser.com/story/197816/wwii-pilot-found-buried-in-his-fighter-plane.html 

1 minute ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am not sure a fighter completely disintegrating in mid air would be that realistic.   If the ammo in the wings blows then I would expect to see what we seen in game.  Why would the fuselage and other  wing explode?   If you hit the fuel tank in the fuselage it would probably just burst into flames and *maybe* lose a wing but still not get blown into tiny pieces.  You have been watching too many 70s shows where cars always exploded as soon as they came off the road as if there was a pressure switch on the suspension. 😄

I suspect even getting blown to fragments whenever they lawn dart is not that accurate.  It is surprising how often you hear of wrecked planes being found deep underground because when they crashed they penetrated the ground to 20-30ft.  As these are often wrecks of planes they were seen going in near a friendly town, sometimes within a town. As you would expect people to recover the body wherever possible it would seem indicate that planes going in nose first sometimes just vanished beyond recovery.  Here is an example.  It is not in a town but I am sure I read about one being found under an English street recently that nobody had realised was there https://www.newser.com/story/197816/wwii-pilot-found-buried-in-his-fighter-plane.html 

Nooo man I was not asking for fireball disintegration at all - just wanting a little clarification because I read it as a "ground contact style midair explosion" above, which I have never seen in-game. That's why I was asking for a little clarification. I think it would take something like a heavy bomber payload detonation to get that sort of effect, which I doubt can be done in-game. I think the game has it about right with fuel tank explosions (when the tank is on fumes) and ammo explosions anyway.

I recall having an A-20 disintegrate in a career mission intercept, suspect I must have set off one of the bombs in the bomb bay, I recall being very surprised to not see an intact fuselage falling away. 

21 hours ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Not at all.

Ive done it perhap 8 times total. It usually happens when Im shooting so much small caliber mg ammo I start thinking the weight of lead should make the enemy crash ;)

HS129s seem to do it alot.  Ive gotten an ME109 to do it, ME110s, and IIRC a P39 or other type besides a 129.  Ive seen the ammo amd wing blow off - this is more like a catastrophic explosion shattering the whole plane

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, pilotpierre said:

Yes Fink I had noticed it during dog fights where turns are sudden and all over the place and I had noticed it before in the LaGG3 I think. However today was a gentle curving circle. Also you could never be rude as long as you retain your gorgeous avatar.  

By the way how looks the real Finkeren ? 🙂 

Smh.

My god it embarrasses me sometimes how desperate guys in fligbt sims and mil history games are sooo... Desperate evem if someone just has a female avatar pic.

Jeesh

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sublime said:

Smh.

My god it embarrasses me sometimes how desperate guys in fligbt sims and mil history games are sooo... Desperate evem if someone just has a female avatar pic.

Jeesh

I'm not saying you're wrong. I personally know several female simmers who deliberately hide behind male or gender neutral avatars to avoid the attention, but these guys are perfectly nice (and I suppose they know full well, that I obviously don't look anything like my avatar).

For anyone interested, I actually posted a photo of myself in the "faces of the community"-thread years ago. You might be disappointed though.

Edited by Finkeren

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. I personally know several female simmers who deliberately hide behind male or gender neutral avatars to avoid the attention, but these guys are perfectly nice (and I suppose they know full well, that I obviously don't look anything like my avatar).

For anyone interested, I actually posted a photo of myself in the "faces of the community"-thread years ago. You might be disappointed though.

Look I wasnt trying to be rude to you or the guy in question. It was rude the way ir came off and Im sorry. I personally despise when people designate themselves police - like a video I saw of dersheriff where some guy complained about "fanbois" and "people on chat let him play" when DerSgeriff never said anything like let me play and the guy was sending msgs constantly.

That said it gets tiresome.  Im not saying yojre not a female. I dont know. I respect your comments here and thats as far as it goes.  Ariane Scharfi? I have the utmost respect for her flying and gunnery. Am I gp na post abt her profile pic? Shes in Germany!  51% of the worlds women! No thanks Ill just go outside!

So first I apologize for speaking for u, and I apologize to the guy fkr being a jerk.  Its just tiresome on EVERY. SINGLE. SIM OR WARGAME if someone has a female avatar everyone kisses up, posts stuff like "oo when can u change ur profile so wecan see ur beautiful face frm a diff angle" (dude.. stalker.)   Or "omg your a girl? You know WW2 happened?"  Im not very politically correct but acting like a female around here is like an endangered animal just makes men look bad and pathetic

And disappointed? Lmao.  I nad really bad life choices. Im kneeling in the pic. Im not a looker

Edited by Sublime

13 hours ago, Sublime said:

Smh.

Jeesh

Compared to other game genres, the anecdotal evidence tells me flight sim crowd is way less bird doggy around girls. I think the biggest reason is the older demographic. Much higher percentage of married simmers complaining about the ol' ball and chain. On some of the shooters I play, mix in some youthful hormones with the anonymity of the internet, and (lets just say) inconsistent social skills of those who play too many videogames, not to mention voice chat, and if a girl is playing it can get very pathetic very fast. Long way of saying "I don't think ickyATLAS meant it like that."

But I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's favorite ace-in-a-flight maestro has had to turn down her fair share of half-baked flight simmer marriage proposals anyway.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:48 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

In that same game I remember making a very heavy landing and a wheel breaking off and after sliding to a halt I was amazed to see that loose wheel rolling in front of me on the runway in a diminishing spiral until it fell over just as a rolling wheel does in real life.

Way back in 1994 '1942: Pacific Air War' came out and if you shot a wing off an enemy it first flew off wildly tumbling mainly along its long axis then sometimes it would settle into something more like a sycamore seeds helicopter-like motion as it spiralled down. That was 25 years ago!

On the whole most of these games had very detailed damage models with damage being shown where it happened and getting worse where appropriate.  Even in IL 1946 you would see He111s engines being set on fire then the fire spreading inwards until it set off the fuel tanks in the wing root and blew the wing off which was known to be an issue in real life; if the engine caught fire you bailed as quickly as you could!.  You don't see that in BoX.

I think that game designers at some point decided to switch all their attention and available CPU power to making the graphics the best they could and now struggle to have enough CPU left to handle fine details in DM & Physics.    Even in other types of games there was a shift in the first part of the Millenium away from good gameplay & adequate graphics to great eye candy & shallow gameplay though I believe we are now getting better gameplay again.

I never got to fly FS:SDOE  but the preceding A-10 games had some incredible physics modeling, way ahead of most of the games of that time and for a long while afterwards.  It definitely seemed like after that point when they switched from polygon to 3dfx that the graphics began to take precedent.

One thing regarding the OP post: I once recovered an RC that was flying funny due to the fact that it had a jammed (unconnected servo) aileron, and figured that my experience flying in a sim at the time where the ailerons could jam into a certain position was the main reason I was able to land the plane safely instead of it turning into a collection of foam chunks.  But in il2 I only see them lose connection and go loose.  Is that accurate (would they always end up flapping, due to cut control wire?) or could surfaces get jammed in certain positions as well?

Also, speaking of things in past sims, where are the damn sheep already???? : D

47 minutes ago, Cpt_Cool said:

Compared to other game genres, the anecdotal evidence tells me flight sim crowd is way less bird doggy around girls. I think the biggest reason is the older demographic. Much higher percentage of married simmers complaining about the ol' ball and chain. On some of the shooters I play, mix in some youthful hormones with the anonymity of the internet, and (lets just say) inconsistent social skills of those who play too many videogames, not to mention voice chat, and if a girl is playing it can get very pathetic very fast. Long way of saying "I don't think ickyATLAS meant it like that."

But I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's favorite ace-in-a-flight maestro has had to turn down her fair share of half-baked flight simmer marriage proposals wanyway.

As I said I came across to hostile and apologize.  However I disagree with your conclusions.  We flight simmers tend to be arrogant af about our genre and love picking on fps and rts.

That said ive noticed on combat missiom which afaic is the gold standard of msg board communities if you have a female name or avatar you.ll have a billion msgs and replies and upvotes for a "lol i didnt read manual how do you save a game"

Someone onxe made a female lkg sock puppet acct asked a asinine question. Got pms replies upvotes. Theu waoted a momtj and asked a way less daft question (why the los tool draws from original unit location not the waypt you select the order from)

He got NO upvotes. A barrage of RTFM.  About 10 helpful semi answers.  And lots of flame questions. 

Id add Ive seen the same on every msg board but particularly hardcore sims.  My theory is we have lots of great people normal ppl and I dont think youre less than cuz your looks. That said women tend not to find knowing thw exact overheating temp on a Yak1B sexy. At all. Generally. So many enthusiastic wargamers dont ecpakd their hobbiea and dont get a lot og female exposure. They see one and come off desperate.

Its just a smh thing for one you never know really if its a girl. I could literally prove this right now. (Maybe I will in the next week)  second the distance. 3rd its a game not dating app.

Finally I just want to point out if I talk to most ppl here as a man my looks, romantic status, or asking for pics of me doesnt happen. At all.  Itd be weird if it did.  What does happen is talk about the game or history.  As it should be here.  So why is it with a female we asl about pics if theyre single etc.  Id imagine itd be insulting to Scharfi if everyone hounded her about send us pixxx and do u got a bf?! Instead of her ungodly aerial gunnery skills IN MP.

Thats all Im saying.  I apologize to the guy who posted - I meant less you (u werent over the top) and just something I see... A lot.

This, hostility to new comers (RTFM!! SEARCH FOR A 5 YEAR OLD THREAD HOW DARE YOU ASK A QUESTION!)

HURTS us and as a genre we.re in trouble.  The toxic atmosphere you can see in DCS where you.ll be baited and insulted then if you respond you.ll get reported doesnt engender newcomers.  Old timers on boards getti g territorial and thinking they should be allowed to get away with more by length of time here is nonsense.

Read the manual is valid advixe. Would it kill you to tell them "its your rpms" though? Youre responding anyways.

I know IRL 2 female gamers. They dipped their toes in flight sims and dint come back. Only one showed me why.  

Thrilled at first with the volume of help - it got ridiculius.  First of all the upvotes and help were good. Then she showed me the msgs where since she wudnt discuss her sex life or send pics (or in one case nudes because the guy told.her abt chucks guides and felt he was owed) this happened with EVERY guy who kept up a pm convo with her.

2nd any post she made about anything got a couple answers.  But dozens of questions abt pics location if she wass single.  It was very juvenile sad and pathetic.  And it wasnt a fps or war thunder.  It was DCS.

The way we conduct ourselves (smug in the physical safety of being behind a comp) is shameful often online and all we.re doing is losing a war witb games thats increasingly going to pay 2 play and lootboxes and nonsense.  We act like jerks or sex starved nerds at our own peril.

Id add theres tons of dating apps, message boards, and smut sites.  I just dont get whats so hard about using those. And yes you can easily find a gamer girl on a dating app

30 minutes ago, CAFulcrum said:

I never got to fly FS:SDOE  but the preceding A-10 games had some incredible physics modeling, way ahead of most of the games of that time and for a long while afterwards.  It definitely seemed like after that point when they switched from polygon to 3dfx that the graphics began to take precedent.

One thing regarding the OP post: I once recovered an RC that was flying funny due to the fact that it had a jammed (unconnected servo) aileron, and figured that my experience flying in a sim at the time where the ailerons could jam into a certain position was the main reason I was able to land the plane safely instead of it turning into a collection of foam chunks.  But in il2 I only see them lose connection and go loose.  Is that accurate (would they always end up flapping, due to cut control wire?) or could surfaces get jammed in certain positions as well?

Also, speaking of things in past sims, where are the damn sheep already???? : D

I missed FS too.

I didnt get the ww2 game janes made either i was so disappointed they ditched the dyanmic campaign.

Remember the end ofnthe 90s? Era of tue dyanmic campaign

One game that was a real gem that I wish Id held onto (lost my copy) and revisitied older and wiser was the Mighty 8th B17 game. Squadron cmdr mode and with mods looks incredible.

European Air War was a great game IMO.  The campaign.  The big bomber formations which previously games couldnt handle.

My very first PC games were Red Baron. Aces of the Pac and Aces over Europe. Also the uboat game aces of the deep.  Those were my first and my god did I plau them.

EAW i drooled for.  Longbow 2 was one of the best sims of thid era and a jot to fly on modem using a seperste phone for voice comms with a human gunner. You could fly the campaign together.

EAW really waa great. Also I wish I had kept Rowans Mig Alley.  It did really good job of aerial spotting non painted aluminum planes would shimmer or glint just like youbread about sometimes and you could see them far off. The campaign was good too.

Lets see. Less impressive.. A f22 game with dynamic campaign.  That Janes WW2 fighters. Graphics great otherwise... Meh.

Im interested in a game i just heard of wings over the reich.  It seems interesting - only models 3 flyable planes and is battle of britain.  I wish I could find more info on it. Obviously I cajt afford and am not springong for anything unless I hear way more about it. But the little I heard is very promising

One thing I miss very much in flight sims is how they chsnged menus. They killed immersion and Ill never understand why. Dcs, Il2, theres no immersion before flights.

Compare this to EAW. Different backrounds for diff services. Pilots room would show a barracka. Its the same as a menu - u just click on graphical things instead of obvious option bars.  The Mighty 8th does this brilliantly.  You have some offices. You can read files etc. Plan the mission.  Recon? Shows in game footage for 30 seconrs in black and white on a projector.

Atmospheric.

We.ve lost that. For example career mode. Id much prefer in career mode the main screen to change depending on svc and type of field. Say 3 diff types of fields.  Grassy.  Well built uo. Jn between.

Mosifying planes you goto a screen with a hanger like in gsme.  Briefing on grasy field backround just has giys sitting in grass with a map on a planes wing. In a good airfield in a room map on the wall.  Squad management? Office witb perdonnel files.  You click on available planes it takes you to a wide angle hanger view showing all your planes and any damaged maybe a simple animation of someone welding a beat up pllane.

I think itd add ALOT.

Also the game really needs (yes pwgc does this) to name call signs. If nothing else call signs of flights near you or BARE MINIMIM on escorts youbshoulf be told the bombers call sign or bombers your escorts call sign. Its ridiculous you gotta figure it out by watching the radio and figuring it out by the traffic when you meet them.

Also I really wish if you disabled the hud you could have an option for subtitles for radios to come up. I dont inderstand eitber language. But i dont wanna fly with the hud anymore - I want to learnto use instruments.

8 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Yup. I went had a look  and it was very disappointing 😄

For myself, if I used a female avatar people would probably believe it because despite being a grandfather, I sound like my balls have not dropped yet 😏   That is me in my avatar.. or my head from 25 years ago at least.

21 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Yup. I went had a look  and it was very disappointing 😄

For myself, if I used a female avatar people would probably believe it because despite being a grandfather, I sound like my balls have not dropped yet 😏   That is me in my avatar.. or my head from 25 years ago at least.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh on the voice thing

On 7/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, Finkeren said:

This is a sim where you are just constantly reminded of how detailed the modeling work is and how little is actually scripted.

I knew of course, that the control surfaces are subject to the forces that act upon the airframe, and that they are affected by gravity and the setting of  trim tabs etc. However, until today it never really occurred to me, what this can actually do. When you lose a control rod, the affected control surface doesn't just stop working, it dynamically moves depending on your angle of attack. When the aircraft turns, pulls up or otherwise increases angle of attack, the controls surface rises, and when you level out or go into a dive, it falls. The effect is even more pronounced when flying inverted, because gravity starts working with the rising motion and not against it (This obviously doesn't apply to inverted level flight, where the AoA is negavite).

In this picture I had lost the control rod for the right aileron. Notice how it rises in this high AoA situation and how I have to match its movements with the intact left aileron to keep the aircraft steady:

1663219393_Destroyedcontrolrods.thumb.jpg.8204c9b89f4c85113edd2268fe56f10b.jpg

Just a cool little detail I never noticed before.

The problem here is that a disconnected aileron floating up is reacting to the forces it is experiencing, not deflecting the airflow/changing the airfoil camber. Thus it should have very little effect on the aircraft and not require matching aileron input on the other side. A disconnected flight control trails in the breeze and affects little.

A situation where the aileron is JAMMED up does require an equal control input from the other side but in a mechanical flight control system, this is not possible unless there is a method of disconnecting the two sides. This was not required until a couple decades after WWII and only on transport category aircraft.

We used to practice PCU runaway jamming an aileron up or down and the subsequent flight control disconnect and emergency return. Loads of fun until you got the ailerons disconnected from each other.