Still possible to kill folks in their parachutes after recent updates?

Gentleman,

I've been hearing from a few folks about this now that it's not recently been possible to kill chutes, however, I haven't personally been able to confirm this. Does anyone know if it's still possible after the most recent updates?

With the well known alarming frequency which reds get the good old first hit PK's with their guns, a lot of blue pilots enjoy shooting the reds in their parachutes to achieve a similar effect.  Has something actually changed with this modelling?

Regards

Edited by Mcdaddy

I personally don’t know why it would nor do I think it should change...

sure there is a lot of debate over the subject of the ‘chute-shoot’ if it’s moral or not... 

answer... yes and no...

war is brutal.  Lives are taken, some are spared.  Although sparing one enemy pilot today could kill your buddy bomber crews tomorrow...

though in game we arent as threatened by this reasoning...  but some do it anyway,, kind of like ‘aviation sim tee-bagging’ 

best way way is to end flight before someone decides to play target practice with you

One reason it could have changed is that AAA was often targeting chutes as well, sometimes disregarding other aircrafts.

Making it a non targetable object is one way to solve the problem.

But I didn't checked myself if something had effectively changed or not in that regard. 

If it happened in reality; it should happen in the sim. It`s down to the pilot`s own morals whether he shoots or not.

I hate games that arbitrarily chooses your personal morality for you.

• Like 1

One possible option for the game developers might be to make bailing out a two-stage process; so you could first bail out and then choose when to open your parachute.

This would  allow you to bail out at high altitude, but only open the 'chute when closer to the ground, so you spend less time dangling in the air in a vulnerable situation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6
18 minutes ago, Vortice said:

One possible option for the game developers might be to make bailing out a two-stage process; so you could first bail out and then choose when to open your parachute.

This would  allow you to bail out at high altitude, but only open the 'chute when closer to the ground, so you spend less time dangling in the air in a vulnerable situation.

Or open it straight away if you are close to the ground, instead of waiting to be perfectly stabilized before pulling the string and stupidly smash the ground.

I died way too many times like that

• Upvote 8
18 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Someone shot my chute the other day. It still works. 

Nice. I think it adds some additional interaction and some additional taste i would say. Especially in servers with stats.

Some stat whore can be punished this way in i.e. TAW.

I personally don't shoot the pilot but it's nice to see this option.

cheers

I have never, ever been shot at by a human player when parachuting nor have I shot at anyone. I have been collided with by accident when hanging from my chute on a few occasions though.

5 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I have never, ever been shot at by a human player when parachuting nor have I shot at anyone. I have been collided with by accident when hanging from my chute on a few occasions though.

That's because you need actually play online in order to get shot by a human player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Funny you should say that because i have tried to ram a couple of chutes online and they do not seem to break the chute. It might be a ping/lag issue. 

Edited by AeroAce
24 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Hmmm...ShVak. How is that cooked? Do you bake it or broil it. I admit that I know nothing about Russian food. 

Its an explosion of flavour!

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, Mcdaddy said:

With the well known alarming frequency which reds get the good old first hit PK's with their guns, a lot of blue pilots enjoy shooting the reds in their parachutes to achieve a similar effect.

Blue pilots enjoy wasting ammunition and making themselves targets, because reds apparently get loads of PKs (despite the fact that I fly blue mostly, get shot down a lot, but have never been PKed)?

• Upvote 1

No objection to the ability to shoot shoots myself, though I do think perhaps they ought to have a look at the fact that AAA guns fire on you. I'm sure there are better things to spend 8.8cm ammunition on than trying to hit my torso on the way down. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, FFS_Cybermat47 said:

I fly blue mostly, get shot down a lot, but have never been PKed)?

Welcome to the sim, Cybermat47. Hop into TS and you'll find plenty of folks willing to help if you have any issues getting started.

Cheers!

54 minutes ago, Mcdaddy said:

Welcome to the sim, Cybermat47. Hop into TS and you'll find plenty of folks willing to help if you have any issues getting started.

Cheers!

Wow, what a brilliant counter argument.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, raaaid said:

being shot down in your parachute realli piece you off i think thats why some peple do it

Well if they get “pieced” off then maybe we should all do it.

18 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Should also be able to choose to run away from your plane after a forced landing, so you aren't killed when someone tries to strafe your downed plane for points

Yeah, what happened to that? Running animations too expensive?

20 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Should also be able to choose to run away from your plane after a forced landing, so you aren't killed when someone tries to strafe your downed plane for points

Not only that, i crash landed and my engine was on fire, so you sit and burn slowly :P I asked devs about it in that old topic where people could ask questions (it's gone now) and i remember some dev told me that in the future they could do that. Even if you are not the one in control, it would be nice to see pilot just run 20-30m away and prone, just like other ground troops do when their trucks, AT or AAA guns are destroyed.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, InProgress said:

Not only that, i crash landed and my engine was on fire, so you sit and burn slowly :P I asked devs about it in that old topic where people could ask questions (it's gone now) and i remember some dev told me that in the future they could do that. Even if you are not the one in control, it would be nice to see pilot just run 20-30m away and prone, just like other ground troops do when their trucks, AT or AAA guns are destroyed.

If I remember correctly, that's what happened when you crash landed in IL2 1946. The pilot ran from the plane, and then he'd throw himself onto the ground. 

It's real tactics used by all - Germans, Russians, Americans, Japanese.

It's like vulching - controversial.

For some both of them are just historical tactics, for others its lack of courtly manners of knight's duel.

I can understand arguments of both sides, but i prefer them to be possible - if not we would have too artificial combat, too controled enviroment - like War Thunder. In WT you can't do that by pilot disappearing after jump and AAA modeled like modern Vulcan/Shilkas to artificially prevent vulch.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:37 AM, Poochnboo said:

If I remember correctly, that's what happened when you crash landed in IL2 1946. The pilot ran from the plane, and then he'd throw himself onto the ground. 

yep, 1946 had some cool little details i would love to see here too.

FB81B5BB2F3392E61554FB4D642F661F12ADC09A

• Upvote 1

While it's not directly related to this topic, I figure it's the closest and not worth making a whole new thread over.

I only just now realized that you can arm the Ju52 and also fill it with paratroopers. Being someone who's very interested in the detailed way a plane takes damage, I wanted to see how many troopers would survive an average series of attacks before the crew decided to bail. Starting out in an I-16, I did a few passes with the 7.62s before a control rod failure forced the Ju52 down. Switching the camera over, I was surprised to see that all 12 paratroopers were alive and well. I assumed at this point that perhaps the 7.62's lacked the required power, so I restarted the mission with a MiG-3 armed with the twin .50's. I performed both a series of 'slashing' attacks, as well as some dead 6 shooting, at all times focusing on the forward fuselage where the paratroopers sit. Again, none of them suffered the ire of my .50's, although the pilots themselves were not as lucky. Finally, I decided to go for something entirely overkill. After all, there's no way even the most resilient of paratroopers can withstand a pair of 23mm AP rounds pouring into them from behind, right? And even if they do somehow, a nice long burst of 12.7 fired through the side windows from a rear gunner will surely finish the job.

12 paratroopers left the plane, rather annoyed at my actions but otherwise unharmed.