Sign in to follow this  
Bies

Differences between Merlin 66 and Packard 1650-7

Has there any significant difference between this two engines? Especially in power output, max manifold pressure etc.

If i know correctly Mustang used Packard which was more or less license built Merlin 66.

From wikipedia:

"The Americans measured their boost ratings using inches of mercury (inHg). One pound-force per square inch equals 2.036 inHg or 6.895 kPa, and a standard atmosphere is 101.325 kPa =29.92 inHg =14.70 lbf/in². In early Merlin engines the maximum manifold (boost) pressure was +18. This was increased in later models."

Inches of mercury (inHg)
gauge pressure
Pounds per square inch of boost
gauge pressure
81 inHg= +25 lbf/in² boost
66.5 inHg= +18 lbf/in² boost
60 inHg= +15 lbf/in² boost
46 inHg= +8 lbf/in² boost
42 inHg= +6 lbf/in² boost

I think it will be really nice to see and compare two completely different planes Spitfire LF Mk.IXe and P-51D-15 with nearly the same engine and very different airframe in Bodenplatte. 

Spitfire with it's big elipsoidal wings will have manuverability and Mustang with clear airframe and laminar wings will have the speed and range.

Edited by bies

ln the last three years of the war the Packard V-1650 powered RAF Spitfires, Mosquito and Lancaster aircraft.  Also, 1,800 Packard-powered Mustang III, IV, and IVa served in RAF units to the end of the war (III=B/C, IV=D, IVa=K).  Some of the IIIs were replaced by the IVs.

35 minutes ago, TP_Sparky said:

ln the last three years of the war the Packard V-1650 powered RAF Spitfires, Mosquito and Lancaster aircraft.  Also, 1,800 Packard-powered Mustang III, IV, and IVa served in RAF units to the end of the war (III=B/C, IV=D, IVa=K).  Some of the IIIs were replaced by the IVs.

Interesting. Was that exclusively (for new planes) or was that in addition to Rolls Royce Merlin production?

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

Interesting. Was that exclusively (for new planes) or was that in addition to Rolls Royce Merlin production?

Nearly all of the time the aircraft received different model numbers.

For example, large numbers of Spitfire XVI came into service in 1945 with the RAF's 2nd Tactical Air Force. These were Spitfire IX's with Merlin 266 (the designation for the Packard Merlin) instead of the Rolls Royce Merlin 66 and in another example, the Lancaster Mark III was a Mark I with the Packard Merlin 224 engine.

I have read of a mix of R-R Merlins and Packard Merlins installed in Lancasters due to engine changes.