Daff

So I bought Silent Hunter III, V and Cold Waters...

I've never played a Naval type game before other then World of Warships briefly, but I've always had a fascination with ships and naval warfare (Battle of Pacific when?!).

I've visited our navy counter parts over at subsims (cool forum) and they are a great bunch, very knowledgeable on the subject matters obviously. So much to try to take in and cram in there

Just curious if any of you are also Sub Captains as much as you are flying aces.

As far as progress, I've only played Cold waters so far as that is the most casual style sub game so far and the only one set in modern times. Lots to take in still.

• Upvote 2

I think silent hunter 3 was probably my favourite of the silent hunter series. Probably quite dated now though.

Not tried cold waters, but I am really looking forward to trying "Uboot" which should be released relatively soon. It has an interesting new spin on individual crew management and morale

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed SH5 but my favorite is Silent Hunter 4, I just love sneaking around the Pacific hunting Japanese Shipping.

Edited by Legioneod

It is a long time now, since I played Silent Hunter III and it was pretty much fun. I would recommend to look for the big mod that is somewhere around. It has a lot more ship types than the ten or so types of merchant ships of the original game, and in the mod the canal between north and baltic sea was modelled and you have the german aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin, that of course never was finished, but in the mod it is lying outside of the harbor.

I bought soooo much on steam sale :yahoo: mostly older or smaller games for few $, like sniper elite, battlestation midway/pacific, brothers in arms, blitzkreig, hidden and dangerous and more :] also got silent hunter 3. I have SH4 but never liked it much 😕 a bit cartoon graphic style and pacific for uboots is also a bit meh. Always wanted to get SH5, graphic is just amazing but it's a fail, full of bugs, for many it does not even work... ubishit never fixed it. And i have no time and patient to gather and install dozens of mods to make this playable. If there would be just 1 big mod to fix the game ehh.

For SH3, you should try this:

http://www.thegreywolves.com/

Since 2005, The Grey Wolves team fixed, improved or added new features to virtually every aspect of Silent Hunter 3: realism, gameplay, models, graphics, sound, historical accuracy, interface, music... Anything we could throw our collective talents at.

Also waiting for this

https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/

Now i am considering SH5 :dry: it's kind of cheap, anyone knows if it will work well with just Wolves of Steel mega mod?

Edited by InProgress

I also bought SH5 but when i found out it requires uPlay cancer in order to play it i immediately uninstalled it and ordered a refund. I guess i will wait for UBOAT which should be released this year.

Loved SHIII with GWX or Living Silent Hunter mods.

IV I didnt play that much and V was pretty disappointing. Need to check it out again with some mods.

Wolves of steel mod changes a very mediocre title into a fantastic U-boat sim. I can't recommend it enough. Without it ,SH5 just isn't worth playing.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
  • Upvote 1

Played them all, SH3, 4 and 5.

Played a lot of Cold Waters, very nice little sim, great campaign system, lots of interesting tactical situations, beautiful graphics and great dev support. 

personally, I am more of a naval sim type, my dream sim would be WW2 surface combat in the Solomons 1942-43, but you have to play what the market offers.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

How do you guys play it? I consider 100% realism to be like 0% realism. Uboot had lots of people on it, I find it a bit ridiculous when full realism makes you, a commander do all the work, identify ship, get speed info, range, then deal with all the math to make good hit. I don't know, it feels so much better when your men do it. Same goes for bombers in il2, I never liked being forced to set up everything while I am doing pilot job. 

I just started playing sh3 today, hard game 😜 lots to learn, it feels really old and does not look so good, but atmosphere is amazing! I really wish they would make sh6 but it's ubi... today they milk assassin's creed and destroy every other series. Today ubi would turn sh into casual shooter for masses... using wsad to control it and shooting unlimited torpedoes from 3rd person with crosshairs. Well, waiting for uboat game that is going to come out this year, it's made by small studio so I am a bit scared but hope it will be great.

Oh man! I played Silent Hunter 3, 4 and Dangerous Waters up and down as a kid, great games! I recently discovered the Living Silent Hunter and its good! The aesthetics of the first Silent Hunter intrigue me too, they look really nice.

Edit: As kid I played on super easy, now I crank the realism up to 90% though

Edited by Leon_Portier

I always use 3rd person camera for all sims, il2, arma, sh. Not to cheat but it's really great to look at views like this. 

3rd person makes really good screenshots ;>

C9E2048BCE3FF3177E04615A0592577ED3D2B122

AB64B92ADC8825EA0683EF0286FD878187BFA8DD

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

How do you guys play it? I consider 100% realism to be like 0% realism. Uboot had lots of people on it, I find it a bit ridiculous when full realism makes you, a commander do all the work, identify ship, get speed info, range, then deal with all the math to make good hit. I don't know, it feels so much better when your men do it. Same goes for bombers in il2, I never liked being forced to set up everything while I am doing pilot job

I played on 83% IIRC, only the look at the surface, as it was always fun to watch the destroyers searching for me and dropping their depth charges.

If it is realistic to do everything yourself, depends on surfaced or dived attack. When you are surfaced, the I. WO did the work, while the captain was the superviser. But when they attacked dived, looking through the periscope, it was the captain, who did the work, while the I. WO set the numbers in the 'Torpedovorhaltrechner'.

I created a lot of the mods / work that went into Real U-boat, so yes, I have a thing for sub sims. :) Haven't picked one up in years, though, due to lack of time. 

• Upvote 1

Ah... SH3.  I pre-ordered it. Played it from day -1 (it arrived one day earlier than official release) and kept at it for over 12 years. I started with singleplayer, than dabbled in some online squads before forming my own (XVII.Flottille) in 2007. We adopted the excellent GWX community mod,  and developed GWM (a multiplayer mod-mod) for that, which gave us flyable aircraft, command-able destroyers and loads of new playable U-boat types. I think we had something like 4700 co-op multiplayer missions on record. The squad collapsed a year or so ago with members scattering to the four winds. The core XVII group then focused on aircraft, and flight simulators.

Never tried any of the other U-boat sims. But SH3 was indeed quite an epic chapter in my gaming career.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:39 PM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Wolves of steel mod changes a very mediocre title into a fantastic U-boat sim. I can't recommend it enough. Without it ,SH5 just isn't worth playing.

Reinstalled SH V today - gonna try it out with WoS 👍

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Sgt_Joch said:

Played them all, SH3, 4 and 5.

Played a lot of Cold Waters, very nice little sim, great campaign system, lots of interesting tactical situations, beautiful graphics and great dev support. 

personally, I am more of a naval sim type, my dream sim would be WW2 surface combat in the Solomons 1942-43, but you have to play what the market offers.

The SH4 mega mod "Fall of the Rising Sun" massively expands the stock IJN and USN surface forces, and there are also a huge number of player-controlled surface ships in the SH4 download section at SubSim.

It is quite easy to build reconstructions of almost any Pacific surface actions using the mission editor. I currently have a WIP of Savo Island and the other three  Guadalcanal naval battles. Using the player controlled ships you can choose whatever command you want - BB, CA, CL, DD - either IJN or USN. Both main and secondary armaments are enabled plus torpedoes. Player can take control of main turrets or remain on the bridge with gunfire directed by AI. There are a wealth of camera angles and functions available which make surface battles extremely playable.

Agreed the graphics are somewhat dated in SH4 compared to SH5, but nevertheless they are very good and very detailed. I also particularly like the way the crew members on the surface ships are animated.

For SH5, I echo what has been said above, the WOS mod is essential and it is very flexible with regard to difficulty settings. Nice to see the guys at SubSim working so hard to keep the SH series evolving.

Edited by SquashmanMikeEH

Also gave SH5 a shot full real navigation and so on was fun while breaching scapa flow, but pretty much is a pain in the asss in open waters. Even made a video, but didn't upload it to date, because it's so cringey, but what the hell... 

I've got around 1000 hours in SH5. I mostly played with full realism on and wolves mod like all the other uboat guys out there on subsim forums :)...

Quite the learning curve for new players but the reward of a successful calculation that you entered into your little ww2 "computer" and seeing an enemy ship hit and sink outweighs any reward of a bomber flight or first person shooter hands down...

I have these hanging by my bed in a diagonal array for sweet dreams of sinking merchant ships... https://displate.com/pitmatic/submarines

"Iron Coffins" by Herbert A. Werner might be my favorite memoir of the entire war. Insane stories told by a lucky guy... and he writes quite eloquently at times. 

I'm greatly looking forward to the game "UBOAT" that will be out this year. Crew management/survival type of game, but in a uboat of course :)