Han

Developer Diary, Part 195 - Discussion

S!

Will pre-order this and see how it is. Will be interesting to see how they model the tanks and the guns. 

13 hours ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Ok, I never had interest in tanks until now, looks and sounds great.

Same...

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

The IS-2 entered service in early 1944, Tank Crew is set during Zitadelle in summer 1943, ergo no IS-2, Su-85 or T-34/85.

Yep, the Soviet tanks are going to find themselves outclassed by the Tigers and Panthers, so the situation will be much the same as it already is with the aircraft (especially the 1941 plane set)

However, to accurately represent the actual combat of summer 1943, Tigers and Panthers would be a very rare sight indeed. By far the most German tanks during Zitadelle were Panzer IIIs and IVs. There would have been something like 20 T-34s for every Panther, and even worse odds for the Tiger. This of course should be reflected in both the campaign and MP, not every German player will get to drive a Tiger, most of them will be in Panzer IVs.

Also keep in mind, that the Soviet side will get the Su-152, which will be able to one-shot any German tank. With proper ambush tactics, all the Soviet T-34 and KV-1 players have to do is immobilize the 1-2 Tigers they are facing and then call in the Su-152 to finish the job.

I think on most multiplayer maps the Panther will be an extreme rarity, as it was essentially a non-factor at Kursk itself because of a few, uhhh, maintenance issues that were especially bad on the early models. The few Panthers that were there were rarely in fighting fit condition.

i never tried the Panzer III or the T34 we already have in game, is multicrew going to be an option?

We have player controller tail-gunners right now, it would be cool to have player controlled drivers or gunners in tanks too

3 minutes ago, saddo_froggu said:

i never tried the Panzer III or the T34 we already have in game, is multicrew going to be an option?

We have player controller tail-gunners right now, it would be cool to have player controlled drivers or gunners in tanks too

Yes, it is already possible. Atm only two players can man a tank since only two crew stations are modeled.

• Like 1

For this it is essential to have the AI being properly able to control the tanks, with no logical mistakes (not that I am aware of any right now). 

You could have AI tanks riding along / creating immersion on the battlefield, with the players being the hero tanks.

That way, by introducing much less German AI tanks to a battle, you can achieve what you wish for - a historical representation of numbers on the battlefield. 

It would also allow for the Soviet tank lineup to increase their chances during battle. They may get 1 or 2 shots in, or cover more distance, before the Germans can identify the Soviet player group. 

P.S. Some small customization is a big thing for many people (me included). A module system is already in place. Can we put numbers on tanks (and then aircraft) please?

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Will we have an AI crew or will there be the possibility of sharing a tank with friends online?

2 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I think on most multiplayer maps the Panther will be an extreme rarity, as it was essentially a non-factor at Kursk itself because of a few, uhhh, maintenance issues that were especially bad on the early models. The few Panthers that were there were rarely in fighting fit condition.

The russian planes also suffered from reliability issues and yet we dont see it portrayed on the game, let alone on the mp servers.... :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Will we have an AI crew or will there be the possibility of sharing a tank with friends online?

You can share already. Just join in the gunner position of a tank.

No! This is bad! Please stop!

I can only get so erect! xD

Also, I tried throwing my wallet at the screen but it wouldn't work... ='C

Seriously though, this is bloody awesome! The Sherman has me the most excited though tbh. Gotta get me some American tank action! =D

Quick question regarding the sherman btw. The dev blog mentions that its an M4A2... can any of the devs tell us which version of the A2 we'll be getting? I'm assuming it'll be the M4A2(76)W Sherman (VVSS) as iirc, that was the lend lease Sherman that the Russian military received and used... I could be wrong though...

Would be really awesome to get a 76mm sherman, as that gun was actually fairly good. The 75mm is good, but just isn't up to snuff for some of the German armor it'll be seeing...

19 minutes ago, kitsunelegend said:

Would be really awesome to get a 76mm sherman, as that gun was actually fairly good. The 75mm is good, but just isn't up to snuff for some of the German armor it'll be seeing...

76mm gun on the Sherman?  Nope.  Only the Brits mounted that.

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

We have heard nothing about either AT guns or infantry, so there is no indication that any of these pictures look like the game at all.

AT has been in the game for years, there are many types of AT guns for AI already.

29 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

You can share already. Just join in the gunner position of a tank.

Oh thanks I can't say I have had the opportunity to try that tanks are rare as of right now.

Fantastic, looking forward to pre order on this :) Can I ask, are there any plans that will allow for the 'double up' of existing key binds. Currently, if I use on for the aircraft, if I use the same on for the tanks it doesn't work in game?

Edited by 602EAF_Puff

Will be AT guns and infantry modeled in some way? (Example: like in Steel Fury game) thanks!

Back then I was enjoying Steel Fury and WWII Battle Tanks: T-34 vs. Tiger for their realistic claim in gameplay and of course I do like what we got until now with Panzer III and T-34. But what I am reading/seeing here really looking promising and that makes me looking forward to that new "Tank Crew". I am already dreaming of combined strikes ... I am sure you will implement AT guns on each side but the question for infantry is interesting for me as well. In my fancyful thoughts infantry would be able to recon and report enemy positions, protect own tanks (in a village) or attack enemy tanks (by panzerfaust out of a trench i.e.). Sd.Kfz 251 or russian counterpart isn't listed (?), but imagine mounting/dismounting infantry by your order, fighting down MG stands or guns before you come in with the heavy tankers :) ...

Well I am very excited about this and maybe you're able to tell us about your infantry plans in future. Good luck to you Dev Team with this new project, can't wait to drive the Tiger and KV-1 ...!!!:clapping:

Cheers feuervogel

P.S.: Would be nice to be able to control tanks by joystick/throttle.

Edited by I./ZG1_feuervogel

Wow!

The armor looks very convincing. The flickeing gauge dail, animated latches, (in the footage), and the warm interior night lighting, among many other details are great.

This update was very well communicated, and the work that is going into this is amazing!

Looking forward to this one as well, thank you team :good:

I've brought this up before but...

TaNk SkInS!

It would be nice to have a range of stock skins and the ability for custom skins  :P

2 hours ago, kitsunelegend said:

Quick question regarding the sherman btw. The dev blog mentions that its an M4A2... can any of the devs tell us which version of the A2 we'll be getting? I'm assuming it'll be the M4A2(76)W Sherman (VVSS) as iirc, that was the lend lease Sherman that the Russian military received and used... I could be wrong though...

As far as I can tell, Russia started getting the M4 around the time of Kursk (can’t find much info on whether they actually fought in the battle tho), but the first shipments were the 75mm version. I would be very surprised if we get the 76mm version because I don’t think they started getting those until 1944 but again, info is a bit sparse unless someone has a book on it (anyone feel free to prove me wrong!). I won’t complain if we get the 76mm version though :)

As as much as I would like the American 76mm version for the better firepower, I think we won’t be so lucky. Either way, it will be fun to play! As mentioned above, I think the key for Russians to win will be outnumbering Germans but all of the available tanks can easily destroy Pz III’s and Pz IV’s which should be the most common tank you go against. 

Edited by Medicated

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Russians recieve 2073 M4A2 76(W)

SC2056351-1.jpg

2 hours ago, kitsunelegend said:

Russians recieved 50:50 75mm and 76mm Shermans overall, Sherman 75mm with the small hatches is the most time appropriate. I guess M4A2 is going to be like the FW-190A-3, a collector tank, as the Sherman didn't see action in Kursk

ipDQcNu.jpg

m4sherman.jpg

Belgium is on the way - Kursk is neither here nor there with regard to the Sherman.

9 hours ago, Finkeren said:

The IS-2 entered service in early 1944, Tank Crew is set during Zitadelle in summer 1943, ergo no IS-2, Su-85 or T-34/85.

However, to accurately represent the actual combat of summer 1943, Tigers and Panthers would be a very rare sight indeed. By far the most German tanks during Zitadelle were Panzer IIIs and IVs. There would have been something like 20 T-34s for every Panther, and even worse odds for the Tiger. This of course should be reflected in both the campaign and MP, not every German player will get to drive a Tiger, most of them will be in Panzer IVs.

Also keep in mind, that the Soviet side will get the Su-152, which will be able to one-shot any German tank. With proper ambush tactics, all the Soviet T-34 and KV-1 players have to do is immobilize the 1-2 Tigers they are facing and then call in the Su-152 to finish the job.

Salutation,

Very important. Mission builders should not array large numbers of the most potent tanks. It would be historically inaccurate and the gameplay would ultimately be unrewarding.

Of course the 'player' would want the bestest of the best to play. 🙂

19 hours ago, Finkeren said:

The I

the job.

"Yep, the Soviet tanks are going to find themselves outclassed by the Tigers and Panthers, so the situation will be much the same as it already is with the aircraft (especially the 1941 plane set)"

Really ? And you really wiped the floor with the 109s and fw190 in your la5FN like you said?

"Also keep in mind, that the Soviet side will get the Su-152, which will be able to one-shot any German tank. With proper ambush tactics, all the Soviet T-34 and KV-1 players have to do is immobilize the 1-2 Tigers they are facing and then call in the Su-152 to finish the job."

If you really want the highest level of realism than the russian tanks will not have but a minuscule number of radios.So calling someone doesn't really work.

Also you know how many Su 152 were at Kursk ? about 20 times less than there were tigers and panthers. There were only 21 .

You really want the german tanks to have accuracy advantage with their Carl Zeiss targeting optics and  radio for every tank .I wouldn't want some absurd level of realism because it's not good for gameplay .

What i want is solid gameplay .Maybe the is2 was a bad idea .We will see.

1 hour ago, RoflSeal said:

Russians recieve 2073 M4A2 76(W)

Russians recieved 50:50 75mm and 76mm Shermans overall,

:salute:  I was thinking of the 17pdr. only.  I should stfu, lol!

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

US mounted the 76mm on the M4A1(76)w in use from July 1944 to the end of the war. Initially it was planned that one third of each Sherman unit was to be equipped with the 76 version but by the end of the war over half of the Shermans were of the 76 variety.

The Brits mounted the higher velocity 17pdr 76mm gun on the Sherman to make the Firefly. (I see you just posted that)

Edited by Cathal_Brugha
  • Upvote 1

It's awsome !! I hope one day 100% compatible VR controllers 😀

Just a little remark.
The tracks is too shine for tank in eastern front I think. Lot of mud and dust in Estern front.
Shine tracks is more visible on tank in western front, when the combat zone have lot of concrete road. Like France or Germany.

31 minutes ago, Cathal_Brugha said:

US mounted the 76mm on the M4A1(76)w in use from July 1944 to the end of the war. Initially it was planned that one third of each Sherman unit was to be equipped with the 76 version but by the end of the war over half of the Shermans were of the 76 variety.

I realise I know a fair amount about Shermans with the British army but next to nothing about American use of it.  Whilst a large proportion of British wartime manufacturing capacity went into churning out Lancaster bombers, tank production remained a cottage industry in the UK.

We only managed to produce one firefly tank per troop by 1945 - thats one in four.

Oh yeah, the outstanding account of tank warfare from a British point of view;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tank-D-VE-Days/dp/070909115X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529771405&sr=1-1

:salute:

12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

We only managed to produce one firefly tank per troop by 1945 - thats one in four.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tank-D-VE-Days/dp/070909115X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529771405&sr=1-1

:salute:

From Normandy there was 1 firefly per troop. This was by design since the 17pdr HE shell was garbage and 75mm was better at dealing with infantry and AT guns. In 1945 with an improved HE shell, some units (mainly the Canadians) were allocated 2 per troop.

4 hours ago, 602EAF_Puff said:

Fantastic, looking forward to pre order on this :) Can I ask, are there any plans that will allow for the 'double up' of existing key binds. Currently, if I use on for the aircraft, if I use the same on for the tanks it doesn't work in game?

Salutations,

Perhaps in limited number. Example... the Open/Close Window could also be used to open/close tank hatch. Etc,

Currently, I use a separate 'input' file for tanks. The problem with that is having to switch out the aircraft input folder with my tank specific input folder when I desire to go tanking.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering... will they sell tank crew as a separate product on Steam?

Maybe it is the thing to do to maximise the visibility...

The video looks promising but please for future sneak peaks turn off the "cinematic" motion blur camera effect. I want to see the interior of the tank not feel like I just dropped acid at a Pearl Jam concert.

Overall this seems exciting but I am very disappointed that there is no Stug. Here is where I could insert an argument on WHY it should be included...but I've done that elsewhere on the forum already. 

I hope there is more ground assets added for targets and immersion to give the feeling of a real ground battle. I imagine if it's just tank pvp it will get boring much like the other tank games out there. 

4 minutes ago, 1./TG1_Nil said:

I am wondering... will they sell tank crew as a separate product on Steam?

Maybe it is the thing to do to maximise the visibility...

They should. This is an untapped market currently. I am positive this will be a big seller. Tanks sims are far a few in between. There are lots of tank bro's out there playing very outdated games because nothing new has come along in ages... 

• Upvote 2

What Stug are you referring too? We have two already. Although, they are AI only. Do you mean as for player use? :salute:

Just now, Thad said:

What Stug are you referring too? We have two already. Although, they are AI only. Do you mean as for player use? :salute:

Of course I mean for player use!!! StuG III G in this battle...

Here's the question that needs to be asked: Will there be any kind of infantry? Otherwise, machine guns are decorative, and the radio position is pretty much a nonfactor. Not to mention, infantry in ground combat are..sorta important.  

• Upvote 1