Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Anw.StG2_Templer

Bf 109 display oil temperature

Recommended Posts

I have a 2-year break. Now I am very disappointed that the display of the oil temperature for Friedrich and Gustav has not been implemented yet.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Comes back after two years: 

 

BoK title released

 

BoBP, FC and Tank Crew in the works

 

16+ new flyable planes

 

Beautiful new Kuban map

 

Drivable tanks

 

New career mode

 

DX11 support

 

Full VR support

 

Improved FM across the board

 

150km terrain draw distance

 

Multi-layered clouds

 

Rain effect on canopy

 

Coop mode

 

Improved terrain textures 

 

84 player servers

 

- WHAT!???? THE OIL TEMP GAUGE DOESN’T WORK ON THE 109? Very disappointed.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Haha 16
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can have all the new stuff you want, but if you like the 109 and mostly fly the 109 this is important to the user.

 

Why does it work in all the russian planes and not in the 109s?

Maybe because you cannot control the temperature since it has automatic radiators?

 

In a scenario where you use lots of full power, and the engne blows up, if the gauges works you can see it getting to red limit of temperature and then you can back off before you get a damaged engine.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope he will not bail out and take another 2 year break right away...

 

Knowing the oil temp, on an aircraft where you have no direct control over it, pretty much doesn't matter anyway, right!? 😄 

Edited by Jizzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s one of those things that should be fixed of course - no argument there. 

 

But if you come back to this sim after a two-year hiatus and your only comment is, that you are “very disappointed” that one little issue hasn’t been fixed, then you need to get your priorities in order.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

We can have all the new stuff you want, but if you like the 109 and mostly fly the 109 this is important to the user.

 

Why does it work in all the russian planes and not in the 109s?

Maybe because you cannot control the temperature since it has automatic radiators?

 

In a scenario where you use lots of full power, and the engne blows up, if the gauges works you can see it getting to red limit of temperature and then you can back off before you get a damaged engine.

 

If the gauges were separate, I agree I might glance at them even in combat. Having to press a button to switch from coolant to oil ? That would be the last thing on my mind in combat. 
 

I wonder why the temperature readouts were designed this way with the 109 ? its almost like oil temperature checking was added as an after thought to pacify vocal pilots. 

Edit: I mean it seems clear that the AC manufacturers really didn't think it was that important.

Edited by =FEW=Herne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

We can have all the new stuff you want, but if you like the 109 and mostly fly the 109 this is important to the user.

...

 

You hit the nail - thank you. 😊

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anw.StG2_Templer said:

I have a 2-year break. Now I am very disappointed that the display of the oil temperature for Friedrich and Gustav has not been implemented yet.

 

Emm...it's been there since the beginning. The bottom scale is the oil outlet temperature.

  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Emm...it's been there since the beginning. The bottom scale is the oil outlet temperature.

Emm...yes, but does the needle show the oil temperature, too? in fuel gauges you sometimes also have two scales, and then the game switches between the two scales and the needle shows either the one or the other tank capacity, not the top of the needle the one and the lower end of the needle the other tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

Emm...it's been there since the beginning. The bottom scale is the oil outlet temperature.

 

So it’s not even an issue? I wouldn’t know since I rarely fly 109s, I just assumed, that as a 109 jockey he’d know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

 

So it’s not even an issue? I wouldn’t know since I rarely fly 109s, I just assumed, that as a 109 jockey he’d know.

 

If you check his posting history you'll find he asked this morning in the German forum how to see the oil temperature.  

So he's basically had today to become "very disappointed"....sigh.:scratch_one-s_head:

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the gauge is now its useless. It would not matter much, if the autorads would cool the engine better, but I get warning messages for overheat and to watch the temps often when I fly 109. And its worse in winter maps. Before I reach 5K I usually get a warning. Thats why I think the gauge could be usefull, if working properly, like in real 109. No demands, just my opinion.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Emm...yes, but does the needle show the oil temperature, too? in fuel gauges you sometimes also have two scales, and then the game switches between the two scales and the needle shows either the one or the other tank capacity, not the top of the needle the one and the lower end of the needle the other tank.

 

I've been given two explanations: (1) that the gauge is showing coolant temperature and oil outlet temperature simultaneously, and (2) that the gauge is only showing coolant temperature and thus will only show oil inlet temperature when the button at the top-right is pressed.

 

Looking on the pages here and here, it seems likely that the correct modeling is the second explanation (button must be pressed to show oil inlet temperature), so I think I wrote my reply above too quickly - my apologies. :salute:

 

"The advantage of such electr. Temperature indicator is that several measuring points can be switched to the same display device. Furthermore, it is easy to apply separation points in the cables and the measuring accuracy is very high."

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

We can have all the new stuff you want, but if you like the 109 and mostly fly the 109 this is important to the user.

 

Why does it work in all the russian planes and not in the 109s?

Maybe because you cannot control the temperature since it has automatic radiators?

 

In a scenario where you use lots of full power, and the engne blows up, if the gauges works you can see it getting to red limit of temperature and then you can back off before you get a damaged engine.

 

If you can't control the oil radiator, and the water by design will overheat first anyway, the utility of an oil temp gauge on the 109 in this sim is next to none (IRL it would need to be monitored to guard against a failure of the automatic shutter controls...not relevant in game).

 

In Soviet planes where the oil radiator is controlled directly by the pilot, one could probably cook the oil but not the water via shutter settings. I haven't tried it.

 

 

Edited by 19//Rekt
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VesseL said:

How the gauge is now its useless. It would not matter much, if the autorads would cool the engine better, but I get warning messages for overheat and to watch the temps often when I fly 109. And its worse in winter maps. Before I reach 5K I usually get a warning. Thats why I think the gauge could be usefull, if working properly, like in real 109. No demands, just my opinion.

Maybe you shouldn't use tech chat. I never use it and I never had any issues with an engine dying of overheating. If you get such warnings, especially when it is worse in winter, I would guess, that something with the tech chat is not working properly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Maybe you shouldn't use tech chat. I never use it and I never had any issues with an engine dying of overheating. If you get such warnings, especially when it is worse in winter, I would guess, that something with the tech chat is not working properly.

Yes, you are right. And now I understand, that it is maybe not possible to do the gauge any better than it is now in-game, thanks Rekt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question. I wondered about this. He may have asked the question in a condescending way though.

I receive the over-heat message and look for a way to open a vent in the 109.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gents,

 

@ LukeFF

thx for the links, this i was searching for to post in an other thread as there was the same question. And you are right it shows both water and oil outlet temp.

As it was historical, the only thing that not work is the button to switch to oil in temp. Also is to know, when you are with the needle in the red from water temp ( upper scale )

you are also on oil out in the red ( lower scale ) on max temp. So all is correct you only need to know how to read use it.

 

regards

 

Little_D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

And you are right it shows both water and oil outlet temp.

As it was historical, the only thing that not work is the button to switch to oil in temp.

Sorry, but no. According to the aircraft guide for the Bf109 F1- F4, page 35/36, it shows the water outlet temperature constantly and the oil inlet temperature after pressing the button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Sorry, but no. According to the aircraft guide for the Bf109 F1- F4, page 35/36, it shows the water outlet temperature constantly and the oil inlet temperature after pressing the button.

That's exactly how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gents,

 

it shows both, as you said it shows the water outlet but the mark on the bottom shows also the oil out as reverence. To see the oil in you need to push the button.

 

regards

 

Little_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

Hi gents,

 

it shows both, as you said it shows the water outlet but the mark on the bottom shows also the oil out as reverence. To see the oil in you need to push the button.

As Yogi tried to explain already, you are wrong.

 

Mode 1: Button out / Water outlet - Top indicator

Mode 2: Button in / Oil inlet - Bottom indicator

 

There is definately no multi-temperature indication at Mode 1, sorry.

 

Currently there is no way to activate Mode 2. 

 

In the future we might get the option for pressing the button manually, or that it switches modes automatically every 10-15 sec, like it currently does for the fuel-indication on many other aircraft.

 

Not having the option as it is now, has no ill-effect at all on anything related to fighting-performance in the 109. 

 

Because no matter how aggressive you fly, even in prolonged slow turn-fights, you simply can't kill your engine from overheating the oil, as it always has sufficient cooling capacities and is automatic anyway.

 

Just turn the technochat off and enjoy flying the 109, or every other aircraft with a beautifully immersive clear screen.

 

Cheers

 

 

Edited by Jizzo
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

Hi gents,

 

it shows both, as you said it shows the water outlet but the mark on the bottom shows also the oil out as reverence. To see the oil in you need to push the button.

 

regards

 

Little_D

It is a bit misunderstandable, because of the two scales on the gauge, but remind yourself, that the fuel gauges of the FW190, Bf110, Ju88 and He111 also have two scales, but this does not mean, that you can read both numbers at once. The pilot had to switch between them, in game for the fuel gauges it is done by the game, for the temperature gauge of the 109s it simply is not implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ignore the message. As long as there is no thermometer icon which shows you are overheating, everything is fine. The only message i remember in a 109 is just a warning. It just means you have reached rated temps or so but not overheating. At least from my expierence, i never saw the themometer icon in technochat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gents,

 

than of curse the member of the Messerschmitt Museum in Manchingen is wrong, as he gives me the info.

He told me it shows both water out and oil out, to see oil in you need to push the button. Also if there it is like you said, why you need 2 scales, as you could use only one scale

for both to show as you can switch between water out and oil.

 

So for me at least it shows both as i trust him and his experience and knowleg more then this forum, no offens.

 

regards

 

Little_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

Also if there it is like you said, why you need 2 scales, as you could use only one scale

for both to show as you can switch between water out and oil.

 

As I posted above, you have two scales on fuel gauges, that show the quantity of fuel of two fuel tanks, as well. And the pilot had to switch between the two tanks.

 

2 hours ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

than of curse the member of the Messerschmitt Museum in Manchingen is wrong, as he gives me the info.

Well, this happens sometimes, as we all are only humans. I for one, believe more in what the aircraft guide tells, as it was written for the pilots, while the man only tells, what he has heard himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 10:18 PM, Finkeren said:

- Comes back after two years: 

 

BoK title released

 

BoBP, FC and Tank Crew in the works

 

16+ new flyable planes

 

Beautiful new Kuban map

 

Drivable tanks

 

New career mode

 

DX11 support

 

Full VR support

 

Improved FM across the board

 

150km terrain draw distance

 

Multi-layered clouds

 

Rain effect on canopy

 

Coop mode

 

Improved terrain textures 

 

84 player servers

 

- WHAT!???? THE OIL TEMP GAUGE DOESN’T WORK ON THE 109? Very disappointed.

For plane nerds they are somehow enough.but not for all.

You must have collected these updates info for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, salimliu said:

 

You must have collected these updates info for some reason.

 

Nope. Those were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There have been many more improvements in the last couple of years.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Finkeren said:

 

Nope. Those were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There have been many more improvements in the last couple of years.

well said.

but i still could not figure out how a man could instantly pick out so many merits for a game without making a live with it,

 

For me ,whenever i am starring at the voltmeter of my P40 in game, I am always doubting if the battery was hit or not.

 

That voltmeter was always showing "zero" ....

 

How could the hamilton electric driven pitch controller do its work when there is no power???

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Finkeren said:

 

Nope. Those were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There have been many more improvements in the last couple of years.

 

improved shadows 

mirrors 

shiny bare metal texture

improved cannon hit effects

improved gun sounds

 

those were missing off the top of my head o7

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not something I'd want to waste a keyboard shortcut for.

But definitely something to look after once/if they release clickable cockpits.

 

In the meantime, I wouldn't mind if they did the same thing they did for the fuel tanks. Keep water temp on for 9 seconds, then automatically press the button for 1 second. Should keep everybody happy.

Edited by Wolferl_1791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

In the meantime, I wouldn't mind if they did the same thing they did for the fuel tanks. Keep water temp on for 9 seconds, then automatically press the button for 1 second. Should keep everybody happy.

TBH I am not a big fan of that. It can't be such a big issue, to find a free key for changing between water- and oil temperature or between two fuel tanks. I'd have enough free keys. Those, who don't have, must be doing something wrong in the key setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, salimliu said:

well said.

but i still could not figure out how a man could instantly pick out so many merits for a game without making a live with it,

 

For me ,whenever i am starring at the voltmeter of my P40 in game, I am always doubting if the battery was hit or not.

 

That voltmeter was always showing "zero" ....

 

How could the hamilton electric driven pitch controller do its work when there is no power???

 

Don't have access to my P-40 manuals right now, but I believe this is an accurate rendering of what sort of load was being put on the battery at any given time (it is animated for certain functions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LukeFF said:

 

Don't have access to my P-40 manuals right now, but I believe this is an accurate rendering of what sort of load was being put on the battery at any given time (it is animated for certain functions).

 

IMG_1882.PNG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, salimliu said:

 

IMG_1882.PNG

 

That would be the page, yes. :salute:

 

I just checked the game, and I'm seeing 10 amps on the gauge, so it looks like everything is fine:

 

2018_6_23__6_2_15.thumb.jpg.d8ba2bde9c08ecb2dd53415c5e170224.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anw.StG2_Templer said:

No visible oil temperature, if I have disabled the HUD, then how do I check, in case of a hit, the condition of the engine?

 

Most catastrophic damage to the oil system that would cause the oil to overheat before the water overheats (broken oil pump, perforated oil lines or oil cooler) should be seen first as a large drop on the oil pressure gauge. 

 

Damage to engine parts like valves, pistons, crankshaft, connecting rods, supercharger etc. would probably not cause the oil to overheat before the problem became obvious anyway via rough running/smoke/loss of power/stoppage.

 

And of course if the oil simply leaks out, you will see it on your windscreen :)

 

Otherwise, problems with oil temperature should be seen on the water temperature gauge first anyway. The only damage scenario that I can think of that would be detected by an oil temperature gauge would be if bullets specifically damaged the automatic oil radiator shutter control and the shutters were closed. Not sure if this is scenario is even simulated in BOX.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 19//Rekt said:

Most catastrophic damage to the oil system that would cause the oil to overheat before the water overheats (broken oil pump, perforated oil lines or oil cooler) should be seen first as a large drop on the oil pressure gauge.

I don't think that dropping oil pressure visible on the gauge is modelled.

 

2 hours ago, 19//Rekt said:

Otherwise, problems with oil temperature should be seen on the water temperature gauge first anyway.

Nope, the automatic will simply open the water radiator flaps further, as they are not opened very far during normal combat. You will surely have a lot of black smoke behind your aircraft before the water temperature rises.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...