Han

Game version 3.004 discussion: Steam integration update

3 hours ago, howitzer155mm said:

I use the client version of BoS, but I have a useless Steam code for BoM, I was hoping this would make it possible to use. All I need is the darn code from the DLC to tell the IL2 website that I own it!!!!

Have you tried to activate the BoM Steam key here (first make sure you are logged in with the correct Il-2 account)?

If you have Steam code for BoM you can activate it on Steam to get BoM there, why not? You need to have BoS there prior to that though.

I think he wants to activate a Steam BoM cd key on the website.

On steam, Battle of Moscow is considered a DLC item and requires Battle of Stalingrad to be owned. The problem is, I only have the IL-2 Website's version of BoS, but the Steam version of BoM, if I could just activate BoM on ANY steam account, I can retrieve the IL-2 website code to verify that I own it on the IL-2 website.

And I'm not really in the mood to purchase either game a second time... 

Edited by howitzer155mm

You won't get an IL-2 key when purchasing on Steam anymore, so nothing to activate on the website. Steam system is used to determine what you own there instead of a key you had to activate on the website before.

I checked my BoS from Steam and it no longer has the option to see the activation key. It used to. So that (no key) applies even to older Steam purchases which initially had a key.

But I had to use the Steam key to activate BoS on the website (right after I bought it), so maybe that's the explanation why I still have access to BoS (purchased from Steam) when I use the stand-alone launcher (I did not link the accounts).

I think I may have an unusual anomaly working here: I bought BoS,  BoM, a couple of collector planes and CoD on Steam before I realized that Valve was taking such a big cut of the IL-2 developer money.  After my wee brain began working again, (which apparently took some time to kick-in) I bought all content from this website.

However, I never did launch any content from Steam, so now I can launch all my purchases, from Steam and here, on the local launcher, without any Steam login or launch from Steam.  I get no warnings, no messages about linking; it just goes straight to game.  However, if I ever launch BoS from Steam, I suspect I'll get the "link" requirement.

So a lot of whether you are required to merge (link) accounts seems to depend on whether you ever launched any IL-2 content from Steam.  Since I never did, I have no requirement to link, even though I bought BoS/BoM from Steam.  When I read the linking tutorial, I never did see one instance which seemed to reflect my own situation.

Is this sensible?

Edited by mpdugas
spelling

20 minutes ago, mpdugas said:

Is this sensible? 

Not quite.

I'm in a similar situation (purchases from both Steam and website), but I used to start the game from Steam (before 3.004) and I knew I can always use either Steam or stand-alone launcher.

When 3.004 was released I did not link the accounts and I switched to stand-alone (because they made it sound like linking accounts will disable the stand-alone option forever). At least for now, it seems that I have access to everything from the stand-alone launcher.

Frankly, I don't understand why they had to make this change. You could launch everything from Steam even before this change. If I understood correctly, linking the accounts still does not add the website-purchased items as "purchased DLC" on Steam (but you have access to them). And I don't see BoK and BoBP and the newer collector planes available on Steam now. You still have to buy them from the website, even if you will use Steam. Maybe it was a change mandated by Steam.

1 hour ago, Seb71 said:

Not quite.

I'm in a similar situation (purchases from both Steam and website), but I used to start the game from Steam (before 3.004) and I knew I can always use either Steam or stand-alone launcher.

When 3.004 was released I did not link the accounts and I switched to stand-alone (because they made it sound like linking accounts will disable the stand-alone option forever). At least for now, it seems that I have access to everything from the stand-alone launcher.

Frankly, I don't understand why they had to make this change. You could launch everything from Steam even before this change. If I understood correctly, linking the accounts still does not add the website-purchased items as "purchased DLC" on Steam (but you have access to them). And I don't see BoK and BoBP and the newer collector planes available on Steam now. You still have to buy them from the website, even if you will use Steam. Maybe it was a change mandated by Steam.

It was a change mandated by Valve to let them continue putting content out on Steam. If they hadn't done this they would never have been able to release BoK or BoBp on Steam.

If that means that BoK will eventually become available on Steam, which is important for quite a few other members here, then I can deal with the hassle of having to have Steam on all Systems I'm using BoX on.

Cheers!

Mike

Hi,

Long time sim pilot and Steam user here, thank you for the update, the linking worked perfectly! 👌 I think I write for the majority with a big THANK YOU from Steam users, this kind of integration is most welcome and I know the missing content (like BoK) is coming to Steam soon.

I was also hoping that bought items from the website would show up as "owned" DLC on Steam, but I bought the MC.202 (after linking accounts) and it didn't show up as owned, although it appears in the sim. Reading this thread it seems that it is as intended and that is all ok. If it's possible, easy and inexpensive for you to make the change in the future, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again, keep building a great sim!

So to answer my own question, as well as someone elses in this thread,  I went ahead and bit the bullet and picked up BoS on steam while it was on sale.  

Everything worked fine.   I linked my account on first login and have access to all the content I have a license for from the IL-2 store, and apparently no conflict in having already having a license for BoS from the Il-2 Sturmovik store.     

Having said that, I'm confident I'll be able to buy BoBP from the Il-2 store during pre-order and still have access to it via steam in the future.  

I basically paid $18 purely for access to Steam's download servers for il-2 updates and future installations.  Not a complaint just a statement.   I'm actually enjoying the lack of a login screen, and it took me like 3 minutes total to install.  

So hey Devs, as someone who is a regular Steam user, flight sims are about the only thing I haven't bought through Steam until now.  I appreciate your efforts to maintain a relationship with Valve and keeping products from your store compatible with the Steam version, as a purchase of a second copy of BoS for myself even if at a discounted price, will hopefully imply. 

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican
  • Upvote 2

Maybe I overlooked it but I wonder how the modules are going to be sold on Steam now. Will they somehow be able to have BOK as DLC or are there other ways? Or should all additional content now be bought from the website?

• Upvote 1

Just gift it as if he had the native game. Once activated it will appear on his steam version. It’s been this way for some time now.

Good afternoon.  I am new to the series.  With the steam summer sale I picked up BOS deluxe edition and BOM.  I also bought the 2 scripted campaigns on this website, which I am really enjoying.  In fact the scripted campaigns are my favorite aspect of the game so far.  

Do we have line of sight to Kuban being released on Steam, and if not, does it ever go on sale on the website?  I would love to have that and BOBP but cannot justify shelling out the full cost at this moment given the excessive amount of money I have already spent on this Steam sale.  

Best regards.  

So was this the update that caused the sound bug or was it a previous one? After an hour or hour and a half the sound starts cutting out and just plain glitching. I am wondering when this will be fixed if not in the next upcoming update to the game.

Again me and , yeah,..again problem.

- I've done the Linking of accounts Steam and IL2. So far everything seems to be ok.

But To make running IL2 properly I have to launch both the Oculus app and Steam app, to Play the game in VR.

Before this linking I could play BOS without running Steam and even without running Oculus. I just pressed enter on IL2 shortcut and SteamVR console was running automatically.

What should I do to avoid running Steam and Oculus in the background of IL2? Is there a way to play without need to run the both above mentioned apps? Thanks.

I keep getting error #5 (no license key validated)after purchasing the game bos deluxe on steam. I think this is because I had refunded regular bos in the past. I opened several tickets but replied seem automated. Can someone help??

Edited by Padinn

For me that linking seems not to work. It wants me to link everytime I start the game (over steam). 

But all the content I ever bought (fromt he website) is there.

I don't know what to do. The only thing changed for me, is that I now need to type in my password everytime I start up..

I bought a plane from the website, when i got my activation key its all x'ed out. Support has not been helpful at all. I bought this plane on the 2nd of July and its now the 5th of July.

Edited by Jwash89

On 7/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, Jwash89 said:

I bought a plane from the website, when i got my activation key its all x'ed out. Support has not been helpful at all. I bought this plane on the 2nd of July and its now the 5th of July.

There isn't anything you need to activate, just play the game on steam and if your accounts are linked your plane will be in game. I can't understand how people are having such a hard time with this, it's like pulling teeth, link your steam account by logging into the game that was launched through steam and everything you buy on the store here and in steam will be in your game.

Edited by JonRedcorn

On 7/6/2018 at 11:54 PM, JonRedcorn said:

There isn't anything you need to activate, just play the game on steam and if your accounts are linked your plane will be in game. I can't understand how people are having such a hard time with this, it's like pulling teeth, link your steam account by logging into the game that was launched through steam and everything you buy on the store here and in steam will be in your game.

so its normal, that I have to klick link every time I get into the game and type the password in every time?

37 minutes ago, [I./JG62]froNt said:

so its normal, that I have to klick link every time I get into the game and type the password in every time?

Have you tried saving it?

2 hours ago, [I./JG62]froNt said:

No that's not normal. Should only have to do it once.

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Have you tried saving it?

thanks for your answer. No I haven't. Where am I supposed to do that?

6 minutes ago, [I./JG62]froNt said:

thanks for your answer. No I haven't. Where am I supposed to do that?

Anytime it would seem you replace the startup config file it will ask you to link again. It shouldn't be asking you to link every time you start up through steam.

6 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Anytime it would seem you replace the startup config file it will ask you to link again. It shouldn't be asking you to link every time you start up through steam.

That's it. The startup config file was on write protected. I made that years ago, to keep gamma at 0.7 instead of 0.8  ;) Thanks for the hint !

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, [I./JG62]froNt said:

That's it. The startup config file was on write protected. I made that years ago, to keep gamma at 0.7 instead of 0.8  ;) Thanks for the hint !

No problem!

Is there a way to activate my store purchases on steam so it shows that I own them? I remember seeing something about how if and when the content comes to steam we would get a key to activate it on there. The promise of what I interpreted as me owning the content on steam as well as the store should it be released there was a major factor in me purchasing a large portion of all available content from your store. It's more of an OCD completionist thing that anything, but I can also see any future steam sales being cumbersome as I have to check to see which of the unowned steam items I don't actually own.

rRDUN1Z.png

7 hours ago, seanyc123 said:

Is there a way to activate my store purchases on steam so it shows that I own them? I remember seeing something about how if and when the content comes to steam we would get a key to activate it on there.

Before this update we received when we pre-ordered free Get to Steam - Keys for BoS,BoM,BoK Standard and Deluxe Version. After this Update they removed this ability silently - means you can't receive Get Steam-Keys for pre-order Battle of Operation Bodenplatte anymore and for future BoX pre-order. BTW we never had Get to Steam Keys for Campaigns and Collector Planes.

Steam key.jpg

Edited by Livai

Very disappointing, I understand the concern of just giving the keys to your mates to get 2 for 1 essentially but can't you gift us the products on steam as gifts can no longer be stored and sent to other users, you can only accept or reject them. Not holding my breath on that one lol, wishing I had waited a bit longer and got them on steam now.

Hi there, I've not played IL-2 since the original 2001 edition, but excited to give this a try. Quick question that someone more experienced or in support may be able to answer. I recently purchased Battle of Stalingrad through the website. However, when I tried to link my purchase to my Steam account, I never got the option to enter the key via steam.

I use Steam to manage downloads and updates for my games, among other features. I decided to bite the bullet and try to install via the IL2 standalone launcher.  However, the download speed is a painfully slow 50 kb/s on an 8GB install. I have a gigabit connection and would prefer to install and manage the game's updates via Steam. Anyone from support or with more experience help?

Worth noting that I've read this FAQ but didn't see an answer to my question: https://il2sturmovik.com/m/SteamAndIL2AccountGuide.pdf

Thanks!

Edited by cgfu

On 7/10/2018 at 1:39 AM, JonRedcorn said:

No problem!

My Problem is back, since the last update.
Now I need to additionally click a button to confirm I played the game before and have an account.

Then I need to retype my username and password everytime to link my accounts. 

But the linking does not work. What went wrong with the update?

1 minute ago, [I./JG62]froNt said:

My Problem is back, since the last update.
Now I need to additionally click a button to confirm I played the game before and have an account.

Then I need to retype my username and password everytime to link my accounts. 

But the linking does not work. What went wrong with the update?

Just select the left square for the moment and the game will start normally. It's a bug and they said they will fix it.

Just now, -IRRE-Therion said:

Just select the left square for the moment and the game will start normally. It's a bug and they said they will fix it.

ok, thought the problem is on my side. thx therion for clarifying!

@Jason: 

Are there any new mission-types in the career missions with the new update?

Nice update.  Keep up the good work.  Wish the Battle of BP was included with this.  On the other hand, this update tweaked my interest in the tank battle scenario.  If it is an indicator, I have purchased the Clash at P.  This, however, means I am now waiting for two games.

Love the link from steam, thank you.  Everything worked really slick; some things I bought from this web store and others from steam; spread the wealth around a little, I thought.  Anyways, I bought BOK and BOM and a couple of planes on steam and I don't see those showing up here under my name like the ones I bought from the web store.  You know what I own as it all shows up when I log into the game, so why not show it here under my name?  I would like to show off what I bought, too;  I'm vain...  😉

Edited by Drum

Oh my goodness, in my haste to capitalize on the sales, I ordered Flying Circus, Battle of Kuban, and Battle of Bodenplatte through the IL-2 store.  Forgetting that Steam versions were supposed to be purchased through Steam.  You can imagine my despair when I recalled that tidbit.  I quickly sent a email to support and then decided to check the forums to see if anything might be possible.  And look what I found, simply linking the two accounts would provide me access to all my purchases through Steam.  I quickly followed the painless description to link the accounts, opened Stumovik from Steam and boom, all purchases show up.  What a deal!  Thank you, thank you, thank you DEV team, you are truly amazing.