Sign in to follow this  
No.54_Reddog

Bug Tracker - colour me confused?

So on checking my email this morning I see that 12 of the bugs I have posted on the Tracker have been updated.

Now don't get me wrong, I have long found the TFBT to be a source of frustration and anger so it's good to see it finally being put to use. Also was good to see a number of later duplicates closed/merged with earlier raised or related issues a week or so back.

I'm just not entirely sure what benefit there is in updating bugs raised two if not three years ago with a target version of 4.312...?? You do realise that was released some time ago right - why not put a version number that makes sense, somewhere from 4.53 onwards. Even if it's 7.89, it gives the user a level of expectation and feedback on the priority or merits or difficulty of the issue...

As I understand it;

A bug being worked on is listed as "In Progress"

A bug that has been fixed is listed as "In Progress"

The reason being that if it is marked as "Fixed" then the players may think it has been fixed for the current version they are playing and confuse them.

Maybe a bug that has been fixed could simply be listed as " Fixed v5.00" or "Fixed v4.53" that way the player would know when they have it available and get rid of the "In Progress" even when they are already fixed?

There are plenty of fields available to accurately reflect the current status of the item, that's why it's called a tracker. They simply refuse to use it properly and something I've banged on about before. I know it won't change. Nothing does.

• Upvote 1

We have a new bugtracker manager who has been making some changes.

All the issues in bugtracker have been noted and when there is an opportunity to fix the issues, they are being addressed.

Thanks. That was kind of my point. Updating the target version to something still yet to come rather than a version 2 or 3 steps back would seem to be more useful for all parties.

Hi Reddog,

As Buzzsaw already mentioned, I have taken over the Bugtracker from Artist and started the long overdue "Spring Cleaning".

This is why I am changing the status of older issues.

We use the "Target Version" to display the version the Bug was discovered.

This way the Bugs, their versions and their current relevance are more overseeable for the developers of TFS.

Cheers,

Ceaser.

Ceasar,

Thanks for the reply. I applaud your efforts to sort the BT out even if I disagree on the methodology being implemented. I hope you are supported by the rest of the team and that your actions result in better outcomes. 

You can close the thread if you want.

Reddog

Ok, "Target Version" being when it was discovered is good, I also assumed that it was the goal to have it fixed by said patch.

Maybe rename "Target Version" to "Discovered Version"?

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

The issue is of course Flare, that runs contrary to any professional or serious implementation of such a feature and negates the point of the roadmap on that tracking software which shows users an expected release map. https://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf/roadmap

Don't get me wrong, a version affected field wouldn't be out of place but to repurpose like this is just daft IMO. But it's clear they know exactly what they're doing, oh yes.

Edited by No.54_Reddog
Added link