SharpeXB

Where are the skins?

There don't appear to be custom skins being made anymore

Originally there was a set of pinned threads in the Skins section which contained them all so they could be found easily but that didn't continue past BoS and maybe BoM

There don't appear to be any user made skins for BoK aircraft

Did the effort just die out? That's a shame.

Edited by SharpeXB

27 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

There don't appear to be custom skins being made anymore

Originally there was a set of pinned threads in the Skins section which contained them all so they could be found easily but that didn't continue past BoS and maybe BoM

There don't appear to be any user made skins for BoK aircraft

Did the effort just die out? That's a shame.

Forgot your medication?

Tons here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/91-skins-and-templates/

Yes I’ve seen those. They’re mostly all for the BoS planes and they’re old. Originally there were/are pinned threads for each aircraft. Now they aren’t organized anymore into a single place. Scrolling down you can find the newer ones but it takes some digging. 

It would be great if this was better organized or there were more official skins. I was hoping the career mode would fill up the selection but it didn’t. 

The skin forum section is still confusing to navigate through, skins are in threads buried under pages of discussion and not just in one convenient place. It takes way way way too long to download all of them. The best solution is what Rise of Flight did with the skin packs from the developer. 

5 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Ive seen nothing for the A20

I would expect that. More people are interested in flying fighters than bombers or transport planes.

Well, the community got what it asked for...

Super Hi-rez skins...   that clog online bandwidth, so skin transfers over the net are no longer possible.  Why would anyone bother making them if no one can see them unless you have them preinstalled?  Oh, you are playing on a winter map, so sorry, your pretty custom winter skin can only be seen by you, everyone else sees a nice green default skin that stands out like a hooker in a red dress at Mass on Sunday.

Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, it’s unfortunate... I wish they would include a community skin pack or something... 

i love seeing the polished bare metal on these aircraft... would love to see more. With nose art of sort

I'm really not sure what you're (OP) talking about. There have been plenty of new skins for BoK planes for people that can be bothered to look. Detcord12B has skins for the G4, G6, HS129, A20, Yak-1B, Spit V and now the G14 for BoBo. Zargos, Szelljr, WolframHarms, RaFiGeR and many others have made BoK skins. My suggestion would be to subscribe to their threads. On the other hand, you could just look in the skins section. They are easy to find.

Edited by BorysVorobyov

I think he just means it's really disorganized. There really needs to be official pinned threads for each aircraft, it seems we are missing a few.

Also, not sure what the problem with 4k skins are, I'm able to download them easily.

A-20B

FW-190A5

Spitfire V

Spitfire IX

P-39

Bf-109G14

These are just a few of the threads that either don't exist or are not pinned. Need a thread for each aircraft so skinners aren't posting things in tons of places.

Edited by Legioneod

A lot of these skinners have their own threads they post in so it wouldn't really matter. 

I don't really bother posting my skins anymore - the threads are a clusterf.

I don't see any point in going to all the trouble of making screenies , producing variations to suit political tastes and packaging for them to be lost within a few days. 

There are 4K skins sitting in 2K threads, often a lack of info relating to the normal map to used, the 4K sub thread is overlooked if you don't know its a separate thread (in fact it can look like you are in the 4K section when you are in the 2K one). Skins are posted in Template threads, in skinners own threads, in screenshot threads and there is zero organisation in terms of pinned topics. The admins are not wholly at fault here - I certainly wouldn't like to try and rationalise it now. 

As for some of the comments above - The A20 is a 4K skin but its skin thread is in the 2K section. Its Called "A20B Skins" - not sure it could be clearer so it goes to show how difficult even experienced players can find locating stuff in the absence of any organisation.   There are a good few user versions there.

4K skins and bandwidth. BOX has only ever transmitted the skin name data in MP as long as ive been playing (2016). You have always have to have that skin downloaded at your end. 2K or 4K made no difference.

Custom skins and default winter skins. The Devs have now corrected this I believe. in winter maps default skin 2 is shown. This is the winter version as I understand. So even if your opposition didn't have your skin it should still be a winterized camo seen. Never tried it just read it somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Idk I have no problem finding skins. I really don't think I have any special abilities that anybody else here wouldn't have. Is it disorganized? Yes. Is it hard to find skins? Not at all. 

The forum for skins is a stopgap I think towards having a true downloads section that is indexed and searchable. I'd love to see that happen but it requires some web programming and storage space to make happen.

As a relatively new user I can confirm that skinnig section is an unituitive clusterF at the moment for someone from outside coming in. Took me two evenings to dig for a couple of good repaints even though I was only interested in high-rez P-39, P-40 and A-20 ones when I bought BoK. Is it doable? Yes. Is it hard? Quite often yes, when the thread title doesn't indicate at all I might find something I want inside (individual primadonna-skinners' threads) and I don't have my crystal ball with me ;).

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Art-J said:

As a relatively new user I can confirm that skinnig section is an unituitive clusterF at the moment for someone from outside coming in. Took me two evenings to dig for a couple of good repaints even though I was only interested in high-rez P-39, P-40 and A-20 ones when I bought BoK. Is it doable? Yes. Is it hard? Quite often yes, when the thread title doesn't indicate at all I might find something I want inside (individual primadonna-skinners' threads) and I don't have my crystal ball with me ;).

I agree with the overall sentiment about the organisation but the "primadonna" guys I cant agree with - TBH hosting their own threads does work very well in the current chaos and is most likely their answer to the mess that the main forum is in. In time your can decide who does what better to your own tastes too making collections easier to assemble. 

Ive never found any of them to be primadonnas. In fact fully the opposite - all have been very open to community suggestions and comments about their work and often those thread and external webpages are very well ordered and put together. Most are also very responsive to question and pleas for help. Some of those chaps have also put together some of the best 4K templates in the game and spent a great deal of their own time and money in research material as well as filling in gaps in the officially released versions. Some of the accolades poured on by the community (myself included) can be a little sycophantic, OTT and vomit inducing but that isn't their fault. 

So I have no issue with skin museums at all. Good skins take time and effort to produce and its only right someone may want to display them in a manner that reflects this. The issue for me is about the structure for the rest of us, less prolific and a less arsed skinners. As ive said before though its not just a question of format its putting right the mess also. Like walking into a teenagers bedroom after a home alone session lasting 2 years.  Officially pinned sections would help greatly but some discipline from the community would go a long way too. Official threads would probably help this though. 

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The forum for skins is a stopgap I think towards having a true downloads section that is indexed and searchable.

This ^

There should be a dedicated user downloads sections with skins, missions and other content easily available. 

The multplie threads are in no way user friendly or efficient. I can’t imaging any new player to this game spending the days or hours searching through all this.

I have 2,277 skins for this game. Maybe 4,000 in RoF. Next to the aircraft themselves, the skins are the chief artwork in the game and many of them are really fantastic and well done. But the time to get all them downloaded is overwhelming. I’ve only amassed such a collection by doing it over about five years. A new player won’t do that. 

The result of the chaos is that a lot of good work on the skins is just lost in the jumble. Rise of Flight has the best solution for this with the skin packs. 

• Like 2

The other thing that we'll benefit from is having previews of user generated skins like there are for the official skins. That's coming eventually too I'm sure.

I hope something improves. Skins are a really important feature of the game and right now the system or lack of it is a total mess 😨

The best solution would be to have all these submitted as user generated content to the Devs and have them all officially incorporated into the game.

The only way to fill up the career mode with enough skins for all the squadrons is to do the above. In RoF Career all the squadrons have distinctive skins but here in IL-2S they all still have generic markings.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The forum for skins is a stopgap I think towards having a true downloads section that is indexed and searchable. I'd love to see that happen but it requires some web programming and storage space to make happen.

Was going to suggest that very thing, but decided to go to bed instead.

I do not think the Rise of Flight method is/was that great. What you have in Great Battles seems better. In an way its the same thing except that when an skins made you are able to use that skin straight away in Great Battles rather than having to wait for the developer to provide an update to prevent Great Battles seeing that skin as an mod. Alright you might be the only person seeing that skin online, but that's the same case for the Rise of Flight packs method, if someone did not have that pack, then they would not see the skin either.

The only problem I would agree is that the current method of posting skins in forum threads (and was the same method for non-patched skins in Rise of Flight) is rather disorganised. And what's needed as ShamrockOneFive suggests is an online repository where authors can upload their work and players can search for them using suitable criteria (aircraft, nation, squadron, historical, fictional, resolution, etc) and download them. An uploaded skin could even have an tag for devs to state that skins assigned to an squadron in an career, or you know the squadrons in careers could just be already made to look for an skin name with an certain format, authors would just need to name the skin in that format for inclusion in the career, they just need to be told the format etc.

10 hours ago, BOO said:

Custom skins and default winter skins. The Devs have now corrected this I believe. in winter maps default skin 2 is shown. This is the winter version as I understand. So even if your opposition didn't have your skin it should still be a winterized camo seen. Never tried it just read it somewhere. 

So the Royal Air Force early war Dark Green and Dark Earth scheme when in the Spitfire Vb?

Edited by Oliver88

21 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

So the Royal Air Force early war Dark Green and Dark Earth scheme when in the Spitfire Vb?

The Vb is Kuban Aircraft - do you see a Kuban winter map? 

32 minutes ago, BOO said:

The Vb is Kuban Aircraft - do you see a Kuban winter map? 

No, though being an Kuban aircraft (well an collector plane that's also included in the Kuban premium right?) does not prevent the Vb being used on winter maps online right? Was not an criticism, just an observation. Just an observation that from what you have informed us that should we be using an Vb online on an winter map using an custom paint job everyone else without the custom paint job would see the Dark Green/Dark Earth scheme.

Edited by Oliver88

2 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

I do not think the Rise of Flight method is/was that great. What you have in Great Battles seems better. In an way its the same thing except that when an skins made you are able to use that skin straight away in Great Battles rather than having to wait for the developer to provide an update to prevent Great Battles seeing that skin as an mod.

Sure but you have to weigh that inconvenience vs making players download 4,000 skins individually. Also the only way for the skins to be used in Career Mode is to have them be officially inlcuded with the game. 

I agree with the original post.

Having only just started to get into the sim myself and not being familiar with the forums, let alone whom the skinners are that contribute... it's not at all easy to find what I'm looking for.

Yes, I probably could if I kept on sorting through the different threads etc, but my time to do so is very limited unfortunately.

For the moment I've given up completely preferring instead to concentrate on learning a couple of the aircraft first.

Surely they could be a little better organised than they are currently?  

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Also the only way for the skins to be used in Career Mode is to have them be officially inlcuded with the game. 

But is that the only way for them to be included in careers? Am not so sure on that.

In Rise of Flight the squadrons in the careers are just assigned an skin with an certain name I am sure. And when an skin with that name cannot be found the defaults used instead. For example I can take an custom skin and name that SS_RNAS_Std_Early and then I see that skin instead on A Squadron No 5 Naval Wing on the Western Front circa September 1916, because that's the skin name that squadrons been assigned.

Assuming works in similar manner in Great Battles then as long as the squadrons and aircrafts in the careers are assigned an "skin name" in the background from the start, and as long as the community authors know the naming format that's used, then we should be able to bang out skins for squadrons using that naming format that people can download and chuck into their game that work on squadrons in the career straight away.

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Sure but you have to weigh that inconvenience vs making players download 4,000 skins individually.

And the community cannot upload skins into packs either?

Edited by Oliver88

For online players, the fact that skins are not transmitted over the net when entering a server is a big problem for custom skin use.  A: Because it demands that everyone on a server have every single custom skin pre downloaded on their own computers, and, B:  because these beautiful 4K skins really would cause issues being downloaded on the fly at the start of an online session.  I know this is baked in to the game code and will never be changed, but it's still a big issue with skin usage, at least for the online crowd.

The BlitzPigs have one of our own that culls through the available skins and makes skin packs for us to use when we play online together.  It works, but it's clunky, tedious, and not all our guys even bother because of the hassle.

It's too bad really, as there are a lot of really good looking skins out there, too bad it takes a detective/curator to find them.

18 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

In Rise of Flight the squadrons in the careers are just assigned an skin with an certain name I am sure. And when an skin with that name cannot be found the defaults used instead. For example I can take an custom skin and name that SS_RNAS_Std_Early and then I see that skin instead on A Squadron No 5 Naval Wing on the Western Front circa September 1916, because that's the skin name that squadrons been assigned.

I meant to have this done easily and transparently for the player. Not modding or reprogramming the game. 

53 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

And the community cannot upload skins into packs either?

Well so far they have not. 

23 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Yeah, it’s unfortunate... I wish they would include a community skin pack or something... 

i love seeing the polished bare metal on these aircraft... would love to see more. With nose art of sort

I have one that's on mission4today, 1727 downloads, you'd see custom skins all the time online but I've heard custom skins are now disabled in multiplayer servers because a select few were exploiting with their own.  If an MP server allows them, I will update it, otherwise why waste the time. It has over 700 custom skins, and that's just BoS.

Edited by Y-29.Silky
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I meant to have this done easily and transparently for the player. Not modding or reprogramming the game. 

And I am not talking about that either.

28 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

And I am not talking about that either.

Honestly I’m not sure what you’re trying to describe. If it involves going into files and renaming things etc the vast majority of players will have no idea how to do it or care to. 

Rise of Flight did it best with a simple download pack. 

1 hour ago, Y-29.Silky said:

I've heard custom skins are now disabled in multiplayer servers because a select few were exploiting with their own.  

That was Wings of Liberty. Looks like they’re allowed again now. 

Wow RoF is still putting out skin packs!

https://riseofflight.com/news/12/rise-flight-community-skin-pack-update/

This is is what IL2S needs. Please!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Honestly I’m not sure what you’re trying to describe. If it involves going into files and renaming things etc the vast majority of players will have no idea how to do it or care to. 

What I was trying to get across is what links an skin to an unit in an career in Rise of Flight, seems to be that its just the name that links them. Assuming it's similar in Great Battles then;

Developers assign the careers units the name of an skin to use (but keeping that name to an format). Just as I imagine they need to with the "simple download pack" method.

People that create skins whom want their skins to be career compatible with an unit just have to name their skins in that same manner.

The end user just downloads those skins and drops them into their skins folders just like any other custom skin.

Could be waffle, I've not used the Great Battles careers yet, and nor have I used the Mission Editors in either game.

Edited by Oliver88

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

And Pack 18 was released in June 2015.

Better that skins the community create be usable without then depending on the developer to provide an patch for them.

You have that at the moment with custom skins online once you create them you can use them without extra work then being required from the developer. Sure there's the issue that not everyone sees the same paint but that problem would continue to exist using an Rise of Flight style pack method anyway. At least once you create an skin you can then use them. 

The same should be true with making your skins for careers, once you create them should be usable without then requiring further input from the developer. 

At least that's my take and I will say no more.

Edited by Oliver88

Back in RoF it was Panthercules who did an amazing job of organizing skins.  I have a couple thousand allocated and categorized for PWCG RoF.  It took a hell of an effort and I needed a lot of help.  The first thing that has to happen is a dedicated effort to make skins for the squadrons that exist in the campaign.  The skins must exist with an explanation: i.e. which squadron and what time period.  Then those skins have to be packaged made available for download.  For the 1C campaign they have to be packaged in the game.  For PWCG there is some file editing to do to make them available in game.  

For me the most important thing is an organized skin package with a spread sheet or text doc explaining the skins.  Even with that it's still work, but at least it's manageable.  So, who wants to be Panthercules for great Battles?

@Wolfram-HarmsI still owe you a packaged skin set and configuration for the JG52 skin set that you made.  

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@Wolfram-HarmsI still owe you a packaged skin set and configuration for the JG52 skin set that you made.  

Naw, Pat, it's the other way round: I still "owe" you the skins for the other German Kuban units.
A new job took away most of my spare time and energy; I rather wanted to fly than make skins in my free time.

I have made 3 or 4 different camo pattern now, and I still intend to do skins for all fighter units.

Later, when you received them all, I could simply download and install the packages like everybody else.

Edited by Wolfram-Harms

7 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Better that skins the community create be usable without then depending on the developer to provide an patch for them.

That’s what IL-2S has right now and it’s not working. The Dev provided pack just added 277 skins to my RoF in a few minutes. The time and difficulty of finding and installing that many skins individually is too much work. Most players I’m sure don’t bother doing that so the whole skin effort here goes unused by most. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s what IL-2S has right now and it’s not working. The Dev provided pack just added 277 skins to my RoF in a few minutes. The time and difficulty of finding and installing that many skins individually is too much work. Most players I’m sure don’t bother doing that so the whole skin effort here goes unused by most. 

This is what Panthercules did for the RoF community.  The skins were organized and installation was a download and unzip.  Community skin packs can definitely work, but it needs to be an organized process, not just dropping skin links in a thread.

Right ^

the best way for this to be done is have the skins:

- community generated

- developer distributed

thats really the only way to get that much content easily out to the players. 

With the current non system unfortunatly despite the nice work being done by so many, the chance of any particular skin actually being seen in the game anywhere but on your own plane is about zero. Since both parties would need to have it installed and any skin is just one of thousands. 

In RoF it was very common to see all the custom skins in MP and of course in the Career, you might even see one of the Aces. 

But IL-2S falls short in the feature. 

No argument here if the development team is willing to take up the task of organizing skins and including them in the game.  That would be ideal.  It never happened with RoF - just too time consuming I suppose.

In the original game this was handled by community members, Sharkz and Snorri IIRC, with the fantastically popular site il2skins.com.
RIP il2skins.com : long live il2skins.com :(

Of course, skin files were relatively small and were also transferred p2p when joining a server, but the actual organisation and hosting was done by the community, and not the developers.

New official skin pack needed . 

• Haha 1

And what if folk dont want 4,000 skins added to the official download? Clogging up their SSD/HDD. 

And what happens when folk start complaining about the lack of swastikas on the 4,000 skins added to the official download?

A faaaar better idea for the campaign would be a decal system like the original il2

• Upvote 1