JonRedcorn

Cannot take off in the 111

I consider myself a pretty decent pilot, however, I cannot take off in this god damn airplane. I am trying to vary my career choices and that's the only bomber I have available on the german side. I just cannot get this thing more than 500 yards from the airfield without falling out of the sky or blowing up the engines. The aircraft is fully loaded. I have tried with flaps, no flaps, half flaps, different engine settings, I can't do it. I even watched some good videos on how to do it and I STILL CANT. Super frustrating to say the least. Any help?

Some planes need knowledge from the pilot which you may not have yet.

So maybe you should watch this tutorial by REQUIEM - all his videos are very well made.

I did the thing just wont take off still. Is it possible to overload planes in this game?

You can certainly overload your plane in that you can have more weight on board than the maximum permitted - 90 to 100% fuel on the Il-2 42 can push it over depending on ordnance taken, for example. Whether it makes any real difference apart from a longer takeoff run I don't know, I've never tested it.

Have you tried the Heinkel with 50% fuel? That's more than enough for any of these maps.

I stopped reading at "the aircraft is fully loaded"

and there go the red alarm bells.
How about you throw overboard a few tons of fuel and Cargo, and then  do some training with empty bomb bay and 20% fuel.
Just a suggestion.

Edited by 216_Yakdriver
  • Upvote 4

Yes you can overload.

What bombload are you taking? The SC1000 and SC2000 loadouts are overloads. You'll need to half your fuel supply to get them off the ground in this configuration. Or take a smaller loadout :)

I just had it with 100% fuel, and one of the loadouts with I believe 4 250's and a bunch of 50's or one of the smaller loadouts, nothing crazy with the huge bombs strapped to the bottom, also, I am playing in career, so when taking off I am in a line of a couple bombers. I will try dropping the fuel, from what I could feel it just definitely seemed overloaded. Without full power the plane would lose airspeed. It also seemed running full flaps you can't even take off, they create too much drag to even get off the ground.

@grimm862 All 4285 liters of fuel in the 111 let you fly for about 8 hours, I dont think youll ever need more than 800 litres which last for 1 1/2 hours

Edit: that lessens your weight by about 6 tons

Edited by Leon_Portier
  • Confused 1

Drop fuel and go easy on the flaps. The full extension of the flaps will slow you down considerably and is only really useful for landing; even then you can land safely without going to full flaps. Under most reasonable bomb loads you can get away with no flaps on takeoff and even when rolling heavy I'd suggest not using more than 15% for takeoff. More than that and the extra lift provided by the flaps will be canceled out by the increase in drag and subsequent loss of speed.

I was struggling in the begging to take of in HE111 as well. What made it for me was too push the stick all the way forward as soon as i throttle up, and keep it like this until the rear wheel pops up. This will reduce the amount of drag during the initial rolling of the plane and you will be able to get enough speed to take off before you run out of runway.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the advice guys. I will give it a try in a bit. I noticed on the mission I am trying to run there is also a 8m/s cross wind (17mph) which isn't helping haha. The plane does not want to go straight at all, I thought most aircraft with multi engine setups didn't have much tq induced steer to them, this plane seems to have plenty.

There is one simple advice, go into QMB, take few fuel and bombload, no wind, and get used taking off with the 111. Increase fuel and bombload, take some wind, and when you feel safe, it makes much more sense, flying career missions. And it takes much fewer time. Just takeoff, turn around the airfield and land.

• Upvote 1

As Leon Portier said, the He 111 H-6 is the long range variant and the full fuel load gives it over 2000 km range, much much more than what you usually need in your average Eastern Front sortie (and it weights 3200 kg).  I guess you can try with 1000 liters of fuel, that should be enough.

If the runway is a bit short I would say you start the run without any flaps so you can get the most speed initially without their drag, once you have reached 150 km/h or so you can deploy take off flaps (around 30%) and then you can pull up gently, quickly raise the landing gear so you can gain speed but keep the shallow climb and flaps until you have over 200 km/h.

For engine settings, full RPM and 1.3 ata (89%) are enough to gain some speed and it can be used for enough time for take off and even abit of climb, although once airborne I reduce the RPM to 2400 to get into climb mode.

Like the others said 100% fuel is overweight and oververkill. 

If I remember correctly, when filling up all the fuel tanks for long range bombing purposes, the maximum allowed bombload was 1000kg (and the plane may still well be in overload configuration).

1200 liters is more than you will ever need in any scenario. Unless you have to cross the whole map to reach your target, 900-1000 is enough for most situations and still gives you a safe margin in case of a punctured fuel tank. 

So dump all that extra fuel, take a healthy 2000kg of bombs and enjoy the firework over the target.

For take off, set your flaps at ~25% (or aim for 15° on the indicator above the landing gear lights in the cockpit), it is the optimal flap setting on this plane.

Full throttle, full RPM for take off, start to pull the nose up at 160kph and retract the landing gear as soon as the plane is airborne.

Once you have the two red lights, reduce Throttle to 1.3ATA and RPM to 2500 and let the plane speed up to 200kph while climbing very gently at this stage. 

Then retract flaps to ~10% (5° mark) wait a few seconds for the plane to reach 220kph and then retract them fully.

Now you can set engines to climb mode, 1.25 ATA and 2400rpm, and climb at around 240kph. At this point, make a temperature check and adjust the water and oil radiators openings if necessary. 

With this procedure you should get no trouble taking off even with those big external bombs, providing that the runway is long enough and that you don't take up too much extra fuel. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber
  • Upvote 1

Your Engines consume about 330-360l/h each in the Climb and about 230 to 280 in Cruise. So if you Calculate Conservatively you say 650l/h in Total. Your normal Sortie from the Rear of the Map, Climb to 5k in Summer and 6k in Autumn and Winter, entry into Enemy Territory, Doglegs etc. will give you roughly 1:15h to 1:45h of Flight Time. Now add a healthy 30 or 45 Minutes of Reserve and you get 2:30h. 

That gives 1625l of Fuel if you are extremely Pessimistic to last you 2:30. Now, realistically in 1:45h and a normal 520l/h you will only really need about 900l of Fuel. My Standard Loadout therefore is a still Conservative 1200l for all Circumstances and is enough for all Bomb Loads

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK TO REQUIRE AN EXTRA 3000!!! Litres? Are you trying to to Bomb Thailand?

Anyways; For Take-Off if you want a nice DC-4 style Floaty Type Take-Off you need:

• Full Power, so 2600RPM and 1.4ata
  • 30 Degrees or 50% Flaps
  • 50% on Oil and Water Rads

The He-111 has a very Effective Elevator as soon as the Engines are under Load.

• Push Fully Forward as soon as you begin your Take-Off Roll
  • The Tail comes up IMMEDIATELY
  • Keep the Aircraft exactly Level to quickly build up Speed
  • As you approach 150 to 200 (depending on Load Conditions) the Aircraft will Lift off with very little Back Pressure on the Stick
  • Keep the Aircraft in Ground Effect (about 3 to 7m off the Ground) and let it accelerate while retracting the Gear

• As soon as the Gear is Up and Speed above 200kph
  • Retract the Flaps to 25% or 15 degrees
  • Power down to 1.25 ata (85%) and RPM to 2400 (85%)
  • Let the Aircraft reach 215kph
  • Fully retract the Flaps
  • Let the Aircraft reach between 230 and 250kph and enter a Climb to Maintain that Speed. 

It should look somewhat like this:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, grimm862 said:

I consider myself a pretty decent pilot, however, I cannot take off in this god damn airplane.

The aircraft is fully loaded. and I STILL CANT. 

First mistake you are making is considering yourself a decent pilot. As a pilot you need to consider the weights of the plane before trying to take off and this airframe actually carries as much weight in fuel as ordnance.

Give it another try and good luck.

Edited by Mcdaddy
  • Upvote 1

I use 30% fuel take 2 1800kg bombs and all gunner mods on. flaps to 15% and i can get er up..use all the runway get the tail up as soon as possible on takeoff.. and drop to 85%throttle/85%rpm as soon as i have 200m alt and 200 kmh ...i dont know the exact gauge setting cause the % are literially right there to make it easier ..

also use the toe breaks to keep her straight for the first bit of the takeoff cause the rudder does not work untill you got some air flowing on it.

i have only been playing this for about 1 month also so if i can fly this fatty...

Edit: also the climb setting is rated for half a hour as well so you don't have to worry about the engine throttle/rpm once you drop them to 85%..just keep a eye on your temp's and adjust rads in climb(try and keep em as closed as ya can without overheating her)

and dont drop your flaps until you are like 200kmh 200-300m up as you will drop a bit.

..like i said im a noob and do not know alot about the gauge optimal settings so im sure you could get more out of her...but if you just want to get it in the air and bomb somthing this will get it done. i level targets on WOL server all the time haha.

Edited by DEG
add

2 hours ago, Mcdaddy said:

First mistake you are making is considering yourself a decent pilot. As a pilot you need to consider the weights of the plane before trying to take off and this airframe actually carries as much weight in fuel as ordnance.

Give it another try and good luck.

Exactly.
This is a Sim,ulation.
The moment you click that Button...
...you please better be smart and throw your Ego out the window.

• Upvote 1

And stop working in these silly Percentages. First get to know what they mean and what your Inputs actually mean. Learn how your Aircraft works. And adapt your Technique to your Load Conditions. 

I mean, you are probably smart enough to know what a Litre is. And my Guess is also roughly what a Litre of Petrol weighs. And just by looking at the Fuel Flow Gauges going to a Max. of 500l/h per engine you should be able to infer that your Aircraft doesn't drink 4000l in an hour. 

Now if you actually cared you would look up some Engine Data. Now you see l/h and even if you don't know any German, that's a Clue that that Chart shows Fuel Consumption at a couple of Flight Regimes. These are correctly represented ingame except for the RPM Increase at High Altitude. So, why didn't you do this 3 Minute research before wasting your time posting?

Heinkel He 111 H-16

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Upvote 1

LOL coming from fighters - the He 111 is not as simple as hopping in and flying away like say the Fw 190. You have to watch and monitor temps but most of all, you have to map controls to your HOTAS. Now, if  you even manage to get in the air without mapping the appropriate keys, your engines will over heat before you get out of sight of your airfield.

Edited by SCG_X-Man

I took off with full fuel and max bomb load and it is not that hard, although u need a bit more than most runways! If there are trees at the end you cant do it!

• Haha 2

Well, once you are at 35% Speed you can Climb at almost 5%. Just Pull around 10%. Just keep the Power at 85% and the Turn at will always try to increase Percentage so you have to quickly Counter-Percent with the Joy. The Best Increase is at 50% Speed though. You can climb at almost 8% then. 

And Always take 100% Bombs and 100% Fuel, because that's Double Plus Good

1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Well, once you are at 35% Speed you can Climb at almost 5%. Just Pull around 10%. Just keep the Power at 85% and the Turn at will always try to increase Percentage so you have to quickly Counter-Percent with the Joy. The Best Increase is at 50% Speed though. You can climb at almost 8% then. 

I Just want to say it is not that hard with full fuel and bomb load! Just as long as there is not trees at the end of the runway

• Upvote 1

if you fly on WoL, 40-44% fuel is more than enough, and you have some reserve if your fuel tanks are hit. But yes, if you carry the ideal 2x1000 kg bombs or more, most of the airfields just doesnt have the long enough runways. Try to use 10% flaps too, and ALWAYS take your plane and right before the end of the runways, so you can get some plus  meters :) 
Hope this helps

18 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

@grimm862 All 4285 liters of fuel in the 111 let you fly for about 8 hours, I dont think youll ever need more than 800 litres which last for 1 1/2 hours

Edit: that lessens your weight by about 6 tons

This is an excellent advice.

Also some of you guys that will, apart from flying bombers, love to fly around in U.S. aircraft... almost as a rule in Bodenplatte, they will come with hefty fuel loads that you absolutely don't need... remember that those aircraft, just like LP suggested above, are created with the idea of enormous flight duration endurance... and so for some 1-2hrs flight time only fraction of that load is necessary... you can go that far to actually take specific crate put it in QMB, level autopilot and set maximum cruise speed and see how that goes so you can have rough estimate on just how much you'll need for an actual sortie.

Also bear in mind that it is always smart idea to bring more fuel in your attack aircraft such as IL-2, Hs-129, Me-110 or some other JABO's... because very often some bullet roams into your fuel tank and if you took just as much to take you there and back, you probably wont make it with fuel leakage.

Arguably for A2A combat and level bombing that isn't so vital, but it's on you.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dkoor said:

Arguably for A2A combat and level bombing that isn't so vital, but it's on you.

As long as you don't meet any enemy, you are right. But when attacking bombers, you pretty often shoot at the wings with the fuel tanks, so fuel is most likely the first a bomber is losing after getting hit. And for the fighters, flying with combat or even emergancy power during a dogfight, costs much more fuel than flying in cruising mode, plus your fuel tank might get hit, too. So some extra fuel is for every kind of aircraft a good idea.

haha. Whoever mentioned trees at the end of the runway would be the winner. I thought the runway was a bit short as well. I am gunna give it a try tonight if I don't get caught up in some other stuff. Also the game has the fuel load in percentages as somebody mentioned, I don't take flight simming super serious so I really didn't give it much thought. I just figured standard loadout would get me off the ground, but like I said the trees at the end of the runway and being in a line of 8 bombers was making that impossible to do. I had it up one time out of say 15 tries but I blew the engines up. I also have all the required keys mapped out to my joystick, using joytokey. I appreciate all the advice though.

One other thing, 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, there are plenty of people on here willing to share their knowledge, and there is no such thing as a stupid question (as long as it is a serious question) 

Only a few people get upset about similar questions, and they don't have to read these posts if they don't like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing is for certain: some He111 loadouts and a full fuel load are simply uncompatible with the runway lenght of any airfield in the game. Taking off with the heavier bombs and even 2/3 fuel is impossible in any stalingrad strip and I am sure it applies to all other maps also.

Makes sense of course, all airfields are typical frontline airfields, meant operate smaller and lighter planes,  or heavier ones with moderate loadout

However, I wonder what boddenplatte will bring in that respect!

19 hours ago, danielprates said:

One thing is for certain: some He111 loadouts and a full fuel load are simply uncompatible with the runway lenght of any airfield in the game. Taking off with the heavier bombs and even 2/3 fuel is impossible in any stalingrad strip and I am sure it applies to all other maps also.

Makes sense of course, all airfields are typical frontline airfields, meant operate smaller and lighter planes,  or heavier ones with moderate loadout

However, I wonder what boddenplatte will bring in that respect!

Well, looks for the Airfields with Tarmac Runways, there are a couple on all Maps. This is a Chart for the Fuel and Bombload of the H-16, "Kraftstoff" is the German for Fuel, and the Number the maximum allowed without Overload in KG Weight. 1l of Petrol is roughly 0.7kg. 

Heinkel He 111 H-16

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if you had to lower even more the payload if the game simulated poor  brake action on contaminated runways. Some water standing on dirt runways would be great.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

This is the same Loadout with a reasonable amount of Fuel.

Here is Short Field Loadout enough to get you around the entire Map with 1500kg of Bombs.

And here is the He-111H-16 with 2000kg and 1:45 of Fuel. Twice a Pe-2 Loadout INTERNALLY. Or 32 Bombs of 50kg if you want to get an Area Target. 

And last one: Headwind, 1800+1000kg and full Fuel in Anapa. Short Field Take Off. 

@6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann 

dude that is a lot off 111 take off demonstration  vids!

Very interesting info @6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

For my part I am cool with not being able to take off just anywhere with any loadout I damn well please. I think its correct from a historical point of view. Those were mostly frontline airstrips and presumavly much smaller than mais airports. Even the better structured ones do not have real long runways,  though the material is better (hexagonal concrete blocks or some similar material).

This is why I am eager to see the bodenplatte map. We should start seeing some real airports there!

yes you can overload the plane and it depends on the runway 

this is pushing it for big planes at bush airport  but then we do put the air north 737 with the old Jt engine and gravel kit there but the

Edited by Simba