Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog7

Steam Intergration

Hi All,

To the developers of this great franchise that we call IL2, I would just like to mention in reference to the Steam linking of accounts. 

Although I have many games on Steam Their are many I would not purchase from the Steam site , IL2 most definitely comes into this category. 

I understand you direction to do this, but cant get past the comment bedded in your announcement and quote

"Steam also takes a huge percentage from our profits which affects our development plans. We have always encouraged you make your purchases on our website to assist us in having the capital we need to expand development and build more content."

In that alone I have always purchased from your site and have No intention of changing that.  Steam taking a "Cut" just for advertising your product just doesn't sit right with me.

I have always been old school and believe pay credit where credit is due , and for me profits will always be back directly to the people that not only develop the Sim but live and breath it as well.

I do understand the business side of it, and yes for a third party to advertise for future new sales you must pay for that privilege.

However Steam will get No sales from me . I hope and expect that any non steam purchases Ie :from your official site will be as per normal, and as stated the linking of accounts, optional with no limitations or disadvantages to members who wish to leave their accounts separate. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bulldog7 said:

Steam taking a "Cut" just for advertising your product just doesn't sit right with me.

Steam also  hosts the product on their server, providing a 24/7 8MBPS download, automatic updating and game content checker. Steam also provides the most reaching anti-cheating system in the gaming market,  a broad range of payment methods, 2FA security for your game account, in-game overlay that includes a text and voice chat service, a discussion group, etc...

Steam adds a lot of value to a product, beyond the advertisement. That being said, steam will remain optional. You can still purchase the IL2 Great series products from the store and Steam will not be mandatory.

• Upvote 3

The only one benefit I noticed and I can confirm, is you never have to bother about updating your game and these updates

work very, very fast (damn fast!).

I originally bought BOS in my favorite book store where I spend a lot of time looking for history books, biographies and books

about modelling. That is why I have BOS on Stream. But all I own was purchased on Sturmovik so they get every single cent

from me.

I am actually owner of both steam and non-steam BOS licence; I'm running steam client because the download servers are more reliable for updates, but I log in with website key account and buy new maps on website. I hope the integration will not remove the cross-compatibility between versions.

Edited by LsV_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1

Once you have linked accounts, if you buy Il2 direct, will it appear in your steam library? maybe you will get the best of both worlds?

or maybe steam has agreed to cut their percentage in return for the extra customers it may draw in (granted, it wont be many, but maybe steam overestimated it in the deal)

I am also wondering if after activation, I will get all non steam expansions and planes I got on website as steam version. I know you have all in game, I mean if you get a digital version to your library of moscow, kuban and planes if I bought them here and only have stalingrad on steam.

7 minutes ago, InProgress said:

I am also wondering if after activation, I will get all non steam expansions and planes I got on website as steam version. I know you have all in game, I mean if you get a digital version to your library of moscow, kuban and planes if I bought them here and only have stalingrad on steam.

Already explained by Jason: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37142-heads-up-changes-coming-to-il-2-steam-integration/?tab=comments#comment-626889

I really wonder what this "big anoucement for steam users" is going to be? 

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Not really, still does not explain if I get my stuff to steam library, I mean this:

IMG_20180608_224121.png.56fd692b610e394b940676f139c75ba2.png

I know I will have it in game, just like now, I am curious if I can get all this as steam item in my library.

I purchased Boss on sale several years ago to see if I would like it.  So I started on Steam.  I bought BoM and BoK (early acess) from the IL-2 store.  I don't recall ever having any issues with content not being available and Steam is very fast with the updates. 

There is not really a down side to this as far as I know.

16 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

After linking, will steam start getting a cut if you buy on devs site?

Obviously not, since you're not buying from steam.

1 hour ago, 216_Yakdriver said:

I want the game, and the game only.

what is steam?
simple.

And I want game on steam and on steam only.

simple.

My 2p worth,I see the benefits of both. I actually bought BOS on Steam because I still had credit from a gift card left over after Christmas.

Steam ...Very quick updates (with decent internet). Card drops some people like collecting them. A no quibble 2hr refund window to see if  the sim actually is for you or not. Gift cards that can be purchased by family members/friends from loads of gaming outlets say if it's your birthday or Christmas.

Official site..All the money goes to the Devs,which in turn possibly allows them to add new members to the development team?

Which in turn then allows extra funds for new content,which then us as customers greatly benefit from.

Im not going to lie..When I initially purchased BOS it was 1. Because of my available funds in my Steam credit and 2. I knew I could refund easily if I thought the series wasn't for me.

Im glad I've fallen for this series,I absolutely love it. I've been so very fortunate to have BOM and some collectors planes gifted to me.

I in return have purchased BOS premium for my brother and also 3 collector planes for myself all from the store to give the team 100% of the money. And I'd have done this even if everything was available on Steam..I agree Steam should take a cut but 30%?? I personally think that's a lot of money that 1C/777 studios are losing out on.

Ive seen from my short time on this forum that the team truly love what they've achieved and still continue to achieve with the BOX series.

BOK is currently on my radar,and BOBP is going to be awesome. Every bit of money I spend on this series in the future will be spent on this site for the reasons I've given. 

I don't believe Steam can/will take a cut if content is bought on this site when the planned changes come into effect...I don't think Jason and the team would have that. I might be wrong but I'm thinking that anyone with BOS on steam and other maps/collectors planes bought here on store the integration will show ALL your content on Steam as well as on your profile/licence keys here on the official site. Like I said just my 2p,s worth guys.

Best regards to all

Edited by Adger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest deleted@147380

Hello fellow airmen.

I am quite new to this Steam/non Steam so, please can you explain one thing to me?

I have BOM and BOS bought on Steam last year, totally unaware I could have bought them from devs directly (stupid me), but they were on quite a sale at the time.

Recently I saw that DCS has a distinction between Steam and non Steam versions, meaning, you can't use DLC's from different sources in conjunction.

Is it the same thing with IL-2 series?

I saw somewhere that Steam version of BOK is not likely to see daylight any time soon. As I bough BOM and BOS over Steam, I have registered them here, so I am wondering if I get any other titles in IL-2 series (non Steam versions), like BOK or BOBP, will I be able to have one complete series integrated?

I have bought from both, and when you buy from the devs direct, you get a key for activating it on steam.

5 hours ago, 1./KG4_OldJames said:

I have bought from both, and when you buy from the devs direct, you get a key for activating it on steam.

Not anymore you don't. 

Guest deleted@147380

Ok, I have bought BOM and BOS on steam, and I have registered them on IL-2 web, so now I can't purchase them again (on devs shop).

If I buy BOK and/or any future IL-2 releases on devs web, will I be able to migrate them altogether with the Steam versions of my BOM and BOS, regadless of Steam or non-Steam type?

Hello Mopy00..I have BOS on steam and BOM and collector planes from the store..If you have BOS on steam everything is integrated. You launch steam and when in game all your maps from BOM,BOK and BOBP and all collector planes ( if purchased) will show in game. They will not show In steam but their there. Ie..if you bought BOS standard edition on steam then say you bought the 2 collector planes for BOS on store.. It'd show that the collector planes are available to purchase (steam) but when you fire the game up you'd be able to fly your collector aircraft. If in any doubt check your profile here on this site..your licence keys will show all your purchases from steam and from directly here. HTH pal. 

Has as far as I'm aware ( please other members jump in if I'm wrong) the Box series isn't like ROF..in ROF if you bought steam version you could only purchase add ons thru steam and vice versa if you bought ROF from Dev's site.? 

Edited by Adger

This is annoying. I discovered the game on steam and bought BoS, BoM and FW 190 A3 there, but prefer to buy from the site to support devs and while i install the game on steam, i use the proper application to launch so i can bypass steam login completely, which i prefer. It seems if i don't link my account i won't have access to the purchases i made on steam, so i am forced to do so, but does that also force me to have to play the game through steam from now on? Also does this steam integration introduce any marketing spyware or other such chicanery?

1 hour ago, eRoN said:

Also does this steam integration introduce any marketing spyware or other such chicanery?

So far I have had none that i have noticed, and I hate malarkey so I do look out for it. 

(Was going to edit autocucumber's "malarkey/malware", but i kind of like it)

Edited by 1./KG4_OldJames

Guest deleted@147380
16 hours ago, Adger said:

Hello Mopy00..I have BOS on steam and BOM and collector planes from the store..If you have BOS on steam everything is integrated. You launch steam and when in game all your maps from BOM,BOK and BOBP and all collector planes ( if purchased) will show in game. They will not show In steam but their there. Ie..if you bought BOS standard edition on steam then say you bought the 2 collector planes for BOS on store.. It'd show that the collector planes are available to purchase (steam) but when you fire the game up you'd be able to fly your collector aircraft. If in any doubt check your profile here on this site..your licence keys will show all your purchases from steam and from directly here. HTH pal. 

Has as far as I'm aware ( please other members jump in if I'm wrong) the Box series isn't like ROF..in ROF if you bought steam version you could only purchase add ons thru steam and vice versa if you bought ROF from Dev's site.? 

Thanks for the clarification.

That was just the kind of answer I was hoping for.

I don't really care much about the fat that any DLC's bought from devs, wouldn't turn out on Steam, as bought, as long as those DLC's are "workable" under the same "roof", meaning in conjunction with Steam versions.

If you are an existing Steam user and have already purchased content from our website you will not be able to use that content with your Steam version unless you link the accounts.

Link.

What about the reverse situation?

I purchased BOS from Steam and everything else from  the website store . I activated the Steam key for BOS here. It shows up in the list of my license keys (with "Type" = steam).

If I use the stand-alone launcher (so not launching the game from Steam), can I access both the Steam-purchased content and the website store content?

When using the stand-alone launcher, does it matter or not if I link the accounts?

Did I get it right that Bodenplatte pre-order will be also availible to purchase via Steam?

Guest deleted@147380
1 hour ago, Ropalcz said:

Did I get it right that Bodenplatte pre-order will be also availible to purchase via Steam?

Hmm, if that is correct, then the Battle of Kuban will be the "black sheep" because it is still not available on Steam.

I read somewhere about the troubles with Steam integration of BOK, as a reason for such a delay of availability on Steam.