Panthera

Spitfire Mk.XIV poll

Should the Spitfire Mk.XIV be added as a collectors plane to IL-2 Bodenplatte?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Spitfire Mk.XIV be added as a collectors plane to IL-2 Bodenplatte?

• Heavens yes! IL-2 BP needs this aircraft!
    • Maybe..
    • Nope, simply not interested in this aircraft.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, AndyJWest said:

I understood what you were trying to say. It is nonsense, since you can't equate proficiency sitting at a desk playing games with proficiency in flying a 6-tonne first-generation jet fighter.

And by that you've just proven you that you either a) didn't understand a thing or b) are just simply fond of making up stuff

I'm done with this. The way some people behave on this forum really makes me question their motives for being here.

Edited by Panthera

On 6/13/2018 at 1:44 AM, AndyJWest said:

The thing is, 'more proficient in the aircraft' is a very specific claim to make, since it suggests that 'the aircraft' is the same thing in both cases. It isn't, and that is all that needs to be said.

The problem is in this conversation I think, is that you are conflating the skills required to pilot a real life airplane with the understanding of the physics and tactics of aerial combat, which don't change whether it's in real life, or even a badly simulated environment like WarThunder. 

2 minutes ago, GridiroN said:

The problem is in this conversation I think, is that you are conflating the skills required to pilot a real life airplane with the understanding of the physics and tactics of aerial combat, which don't change whether it's in real life, or even a badly simulated environment like WarThunder. 

I'd have thought that the 'tactics of aerial combat' would change a great deal if your life was on the line. But what would I know, I'm only a virtual pilot...

I think AndyJWest is being a little unfair to Panthera:   all he was saying was equivalent to "I can become more proficient in riding my bike than a WW2 pilot could in flying his Me262" . That should be uncontroversial.  He obviously did not mean "I can become more proficient at flying a real Me262 than a WW2 pilot by spending time riding my bike".  It is obvious in context that substituting "Me262" into "bike" in the first statement is referring to the sim-Me262, not the real one.  

Some random thoughts:

Someone using a simulation in conjunction/alternation with using a real object being simulated can definitely become more proficient in using the RL object than someone who is  only using the RL simulated object, provided that: 

1) They can use the simulation to extend the training time over that available in RL 

2) The simulation is sufficiently accurate that it can be used to teach behaviour required in RL 

3) The simulator does not kill you for mistakes, but repeated mistakes are punished in some way.  

If this was not true, there would be no point whatever in the military using simulations. But they do - because they improve proficiency, not just in procedures but in decision making and tactics.  Of course a simulation can only improve RL proficiency in so far as it accurately simulates certain aspects of reality.  To the extent that a simulation is inaccurate, using it would potentially decrease proficiency in that area.  Which probably covers most of what we do in BoS.  ;)  

But to the extent that we can, should we chose to do so, practice certain drills like landing, navigation, high side attacks on bombers etc, use of BoS could have a beneficial effect on RL performance.  Put it like this: if PCs and BoS had been available to WW2 airforces, they could have been used to improve proficiency in certain areas, even though it is a simplification, provided that the drills taught were defined and it was used to supplement RL training.