Jump to content

Flight-Sim Expo 2018 Update and Special Thanks!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

 

 

 

Definitely something wrong with the visible branding of the three Il-2 titles by 777.  It was a shot through the heart to hear the guy telling the world that this is Cliffs of Dover, the latest Il-2 game.  :cray:

 

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have to get a ticket if y'all are going to have a booth next year! I currently lack the funds for VR of any shape or form, and my school won't seem to buy IL-2 for their VR rigs they let us play with sometimes. So why not, eh?

 

 

Could also be an excuse to visit my grandpa, who likes to pretend I don't exist. :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Definitely something wrong with the visible branding of the three Il-2 titles by 777.  It was a shot through the heart to hear the guy telling the world that this is Cliffs of Dover, the latest Il-2 game.  :cray:

 

Yeah I heard that.  I have nearly lost my voice from all the folks I talked to about the new series.  But alas, I couldnt reach them all.  But the good news is our booth was EASILY one of the most popular. We never had a single moment of downtime in the demo systems,  everyone was absolutely blown away with everything about the new IL2!  

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Definitely something wrong with the visible branding of the three Il-2 titles by 777.  It was a shot through the heart to hear the guy telling the world that this is Cliffs of Dover, the latest Il-2 game.  :cray:

 

 

It's made worse byt naming his youtube channel "Flightsimguy" and then not knowing the titles of the flight sims.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 4:55 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Actually, if I can make a suggestion;  As nice as it would be to imagine that one might suddenly cause a revolution among the civilian flight sim community, having the scales suddenly fall from their eyes and discover the wonders of a QMB dogfight - it might be worthwhile also to consider why so many of them are attending the show in the first place and make a point of pushing the game’s other virtues.  Set them up in a Ju-52 over the mountains, or show them a moonlit night flight over water.   Get them to perform a tricky navigational exercise in the rain...   You might make more of a lasting impression on the massive majority of sim flyers, who are in it for the “flight” rather than the fight.  

 

My my two cents. ;)

Hey Feathered,

 

We actually did set up a few folks with unique QMB scenarios.  A few in the A20, and a few at sunset and sunrise.  And as expected, the visuals wowed everyone looking.  The tough part was cycling through people as fast as we could because there was NEVER no one in line.  So I attempted to keep a 5 min timer on each experience, and then get the next person in.  So it was somewhat difficult to ask them what they wanted then set it up for each.  Especially since many had not heard of Il2 (crazy right?).

 

Regardless, most people just wanted to get directly into combat.  And the QMB didnt disappoint.  We also had all the beginner settings on to make it as "jump in and fly" as possible.  

 

Everyone was over the moon with the experience and it was smiles all around when each was finished with their turn.   We had MULTIPLE people cycle back through the lines to get another taste.  It was awesome!

 

Hooves

 

11 hours ago, AeroAce said:

The forum has been saying it is overloaded a lot today.  

 

A sign that the expo has gone well??

Aero,  

It was packed. ALL DAY!  Super great turnout!

 

Hooves

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done guys and girls!! It seems to have gone very well. I wished I could have been there but I'm not gonna lie, after chatting to people at the IL2 stand for an hour or so I would have got bored with the other scenery stands and would be found next door on a black jack table.

Edited by AeroAce
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooves has already said much of what I wanted to say. I was somewhat concerned that the interest in a combat flight simulator wouldn't be that strong with a convention that is heavily represented by civilian sims (nothing wrong with that, of course), so I was very excited to see the interest from those who sat down and gave it a spin. We had people of a wide range age who had an absolute literal blast trying the game out. My favorite example of this was a boy of no more than 7-8 years of age who excitedly sat down, put on the TrackIR hat, and promptly went to work de-winging Fw 190s with the Spitfire IX at 300-400 meters. :blink:

 

It was also great to see the interest in the hardware we were using for the event - many, many compliments on GVL224's throttle unit and the Virpil stick. And, without a doubt, the VR experience stole the show. Quite a few people were made into true believers of the power of VR right there and mentioned they were ready to go buy a VR unit after seeing how great the experience was with IL2. And, since we were the only booth with VR rigs, many people came back more than once. :biggrin: That was one thing that surprised me about the civilian side - there were all of these very impressive setups at the show, but like I said, none of them were running VR. 

 

I also had a great time getting to hang out with Jason and Hooves again and getting to meet some other people from the community from the first time. Nice to put some faces with the names, finally! Jason, @II/JG17_HerrMurf, and I went out for Mexican food after the end of the show, and it was a great way to end the weekend.

 

Hopefully we'll be back next year!

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Feathered_IV said:

That carpet is giving me vertigo  :wacko:

 

     It's Vegas, Baby! The carpet designs in the casino are intentionally garish and bold so as to force the customers (gamblers) to keep their eyes and heads up. That way the customers (gamblers) will be aware (increased situational awareness) of what's happening (gambling) around them and be encouraged to join in. 🎲♠️♥️♦️♣️🃏

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arfsix said:

 

     It's Vegas, Baby! The carpet designs in the casino are intentionally garish and bold so as to force the customers (gamblers) to keep their eyes and heads up. That way the customers (gamblers) will be aware (increased situational awareness) of what's happening (gambling) around them and be encouraged to join in. 🎲♠️♥️♦️♣️🃏

 

It would not surprise me if that was true but F me it is ugly.

Edited by AeroAce
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Come on mate, be honest. You hope you'll get the girl together with the T-Shirt:rolleyes:

The girl? Well yes of course , but my wife would surely be upset by that “purchase” & upkeep would be way above my pay grade..but the T-shirt ....that...that I could afford!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to mention Captain. John COX from CNN Aviation Expert, sat in the VR chair and was blown away by IL-2 Sturmovik and VR. 

He told me that the newest VR in the next 18 months is going to blow people away. He was at some VR show, a couple of days ago.

 

file-2_(1).thumb.jpeg.0519dfef4d3a2bec9a9adc28e24dec4d.jpeg

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AeroAce said:

@71st_AH_Mastiff

 

It better blow me away because there will be nothing left in m bank account and I will have an angry Gf trying to hunt me down for my skin after buying next gen VR.  It better transport off the planet lol my survival counts on it.

Captain Cox, said; it is way better than the Vive and the Rift, so I guess there's some new surprises coming. 

I also ended up buying a VirPil setup like the ones Jason had setup there. Man those sticks are nice and very adaptable and adjustable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LukeFF said:

And, since we were the only booth with VR rigs, many people came back more than once. :biggrin: That was one thing that surprised me about the civilian side - there were all of these very impressive setups at the show, but like I said, none of them were running VR. 

 

Glad you guys managed to get VR into your show. Fantastic to hear the positive effect it had on people experiencing IL2. 

 

Sounds like you guys killed it there. Congratulations!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Hooves has already said much of what I wanted to say. I was somewhat concerned that the interest in a combat flight simulator wouldn't be that strong with a convention that is heavily represented by civilian sims (nothing wrong with that, of course), so I was very excited to see the interest from those who sat down and gave it a spin. We had people of a wide range age who had an absolute literal blast trying the game out. My favorite example of this was a boy of no more than 7-8 years of age who excitedly sat down, put on the TrackIR hat, and promptly went to work de-winging Fw 190s with the Spitfire IX at 300-400 meters. :blink:

 

It was also great to see the interest in the hardware we were using for the event - many, many compliments on GVL224's throttle unit and the Virpil stick. And, without a doubt, the VR experience stole the show. Quite a few people were made into true believers of the power of VR right there and mentioned they were ready to go buy a VR unit after seeing how great the experience was with IL2. And, since we were the only booth with VR rigs, many people came back more than once. :biggrin: That was one thing that surprised me about the civilian side - there were all of these very impressive setups at the show, but like I said, none of them were running VR. 

 

I also had a great time getting to hang out with Jason and Hooves again and getting to meet some other people from the community from the first time. Nice to put some faces with the names, finally! Jason, @II/JG17_HerrMurf, and I went out for Mexican food after the end of the show, and it was a great way to end the weekend.

 

Hopefully we'll be back next year!

It is not surprising to me in the slightest that an 8 year old child possesses more combat skills than I! 

Sounds like it was a great success!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing beats the face to face to convice people!

I am so glad that the VR is doing something great here.

You did so much making VR available for such a small team.

You have been rewarded greatly with your booth.

I am confident that with you,  more customer means more cash so even more content and quality (it is not the case with some other companies)

 

I wish I could be here with you guys, just to see the pleasure in the face of people trying your great product!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Don't forget to mention Captain. John COX from CNN Aviation Expert, sat in the VR chair and was blown away by IL-2 Sturmovik and VR. 

He told me that the newest VR in the next 18 months is going to blow people away. He was at some VR show, a couple of days ago.

 

Aha, nice to get an educated timeframe for the next models of VR. I'm basing my return to IL2 + new rig + semi-retirement around that. End of 2019/beginning of 2020. Looking forward to that and having the time to enjoy it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The guys are right - 777 was the fun spot - the only place where gunfights were happening - I did take a peak at this a couple times but - LOL - since they weren't shooting at anything I didn't sit in...

 

81RjNHc.jpg

Edited by gn728
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next Expo you should have three simpits running VR and the possibility for conference goers to sign up for ten-minute slots.

 

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have a web page describing a "guaranteed" good hardware set-up for an excellent VR experience (updated over time). To help newcomers with a desire to fly VR.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It was also great to see the interest in the hardware we were using for the event - many, many compliments on GVL224's throttle unit and the Virpil stick. And, without a doubt, the VR experience stole the show. Quite a few people were made into true believers of the power of VR right there and mentioned they were ready to go buy a VR unit after seeing how great the experience was with IL2. And, since we were the only booth with VR rigs, many people came back more than once. :biggrin: That was one thing that surprised me about the civilian side - there were all of these very impressive setups at the show, but like I said, none of them were running VR. 

 

Exactly!!

 

VR is a game changer. It was fantastic to be the only one booth with VR!! Good to see you used VivePro headset!

 

Well done  for Jason, hardware providers and the team that helped to mount and demo all these things!

Really for the russian team not able to join the event.

 

Let´s do the next one in Europe for BOBP release!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, it seems not only did you do a swell job of showing off IL2, but advertise for a lot of sim controllers that can be used.... 

virpil stick

GVL224 throttles

desk mounts

vr set up...

 

i feel you you guys should get some official sponsoring.... 

 

now or I can’t decide if I should get a hotas worthog or set up like you guys had :(

Edited by spartan85
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1CGS
1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Exactly!!

 

VR is a game changer. It was fantastic to be the only one booth with VR!! Good to see you used VivePro headset!

 

Well done  for Jason, hardware providers and the team that helped to mount and demo all these things!

Really for the russian team not able to join the event.

 

Let´s do the next one in Europe for BOBP release!

 

Luke is not quite accurate. There was another couple booths with VR, but some were mobile VR and only the X-plane 11 booth had a decent VR setup, but I could not identify their unit. We were the only ones with a Vive Pro and an Samsung Odyssey units. We were the only ones really doing anything truly fun and engaging in my opinion. This was not a combat crowd as I mentioned from the beginning, but it still got the most attention, again in my own opinion. We were staked 2 or 3 deep almost all day. Only where there was a popular seminar did it lighten up. I will write more after I relax a bit. I'm exhausted. 

 

Jason

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lensman said:

You managed to get 3 Crosswind units out of Milan? ... That really was good of him because he's a busy man! Classy to use MFG pedals at the show.

 

Jason brought his new set, and Hooves and I brought our own units. Milan made a blog post here about it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Oculus , bt I am curious about the Samsung device - I didn't know it even worked with BoX.An earlier post said it had better clarity than rift...true?...any details?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Freycinet said:

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have a web page describing a "guaranteed" good hardware set-up for an excellent VR experience (updated over time). To help newcomers with a desire to fly VR.

I agree. Questions about needed hardware are actually very common in the Finnish VirtualPilots' Association booth in the airshows etc. where we have people come and try sim flying. Something like Falcon BMS lists: "Minimum System Requirements / Recommended System Requirements / It Rocks On".

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

 

Jason brought his new set, and Hooves and I brought our own units. Milan made a blog post here about it. 

 

Sorry to Il2 but buying my MFGS from Milan was the best customer experience I have had. A long wait but smooth customer care all the way. I was also quite surprised you managed to get three but it makes sense that they were ur units.

 

I would not have been easy with the general population using my pedals. Well done!!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

 

Sorry to Il2 but buying my MFGS from Milan was the best customer experience I have had. A long wait but smooth customer care all the way. I was also quite surprised you managed to get three but it makes sense that they were ur units.

 

I would not have been easy with the general population using my pedals. Well done!!

 

Agreeing with Ace. I upgraded my entire setup for Il-2 BoX from 46, and the MFG pedals were the absolute game-changer. Highly recommended if you don't already have them.

Cheers.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

 

Agreeing with Ace. I upgraded my entire setup for Il-2 BoX from 46, and the MFG pedals were the absolute game-changer. Highly recommended if you don't already have them.

Cheers.

 

I replaced a CH-Products rudder pedal unit with MFG Crosswind pedals and they are so different that the Crosswinds might as well be a different TYPE of controller let alone a much better one. It's like going from a giant highlighter marker pen to a fine artist's pen in terms of control. 

Edited by Lensman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...