Wolfram-Harms

Post something positive for a change?

All those "issues" and stuff made me think: why not post something positive for a change?

After all, the makers of this sim are only human. Constant dripping wears the stone.

Don't we all flourish like plants, when we hear or read something nice and friendly?

So I'll start with a positive observation about the sound.
The "sound mechanics" are kinda stepchildren in sims - man is a visual being firstly.
But when you listen, you find how much work must have gone into this department.

I like it, when I watch my TRACKS in outside view and - moving around the Bf 109 (in flight) - to hear the change, when I come to the front section.

More and more I can hear the whistling of the turbo charger! I LOVE this distinct sound shaping - well done, boys!

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 12

A good point. The difference in the sound of the engine and passing air when you tilt your head out of the cockpit is another thing of beauty.

• Upvote 2

The "Feeling" of flight i get from this sim..love it. Ive got about 35hrs sim time (i know im still a noob) so far and its arguably one of the best sims ive flown.

There,s things IMO other sims do slightly better but not the feeling of taking off,sliding along side your wing,performing your mission..then landing. Ive not yet in all my missions dared take my hand of my HOTAS 😁

Also love the Ju52,shes a beaut. And so easy to fly/land..a newcomers dream. Please Devs give us a few more different types of career missions for the Tante Ju (like in Pats PWCG) and il be even more impressed.

Edited by Adger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

When I listen to outside sounds of my G-6 (I noticed it especially in slow motion), I can hear the ejected cartridges clinking! Great!

Love the planes, love the graphics, it's just a ton of fun to fly in BOX.

And them clouds with the rain on the cockpit window... how sweet is that! :cool:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Adger said:

The "Feeling" of flight i get from this sim..love it. Ive got about 35hrs sim time (i know im still a noob) so far and its arguably one of the best sims ive flown.

There,s things IMO other sims do slightly better but not the feeling of taking off,sliding along side your wing,performing your mission..then landing. Ive not yet in all my missions dared take my hand of my HOTAS 😁

Also love the Ju52,shes a beaut. And so easy to fly/land..a newcomers dream. Please Devs give us a few more different types of career missions for the Tante Ju (like in Pats PWCG) and il be even more impressed.

Ju52 !!  I finally tried it out couple of days ago. That bird just floats off the ground, and that's with 2500kg of cargo. I was expecting a 150-170km take off speed and when it just flew itself off the ground at .. what.. 100? .. that definitely got me!  Slowly flying over a barely surviving airfield in Coconut's, dropping off the supplies, that gave me such a cool feeling. So, in 200% agreement with you, sir!

• Like 4

I love the character of the planes. They each have their own feel, their own temperament. Its not just that it turns slower, or climbs slower, the combination of the flight modeling, sound and graphics gives a feeling that's hard to put into words that I haven't gotten from other sims.

The campaign mode is great, I love the character bios, the historical accuracy, the varied mission types, even the newspaper clippings.

The visuals are stunning, even though I don't run them at maximum. Flying above the clouds, peeking down through at towns and forests far below, searching for contacts, is really amazing.

In this game, thanks to the modeling of each of the planes, I feel like I can just fly straight and level for a while and not consider it boring. Each engine has its own management regime, its own quirks for boosted mode, cruise, mixture, radiators. You can't just jump from plane to plane, you have to learn them and how to apply them.

Career mode is great, and all the historical touches, character biographies, and newspaper clippings are a great touch.

I think my favourite thing though, was shortly after playing around with takeoff and landing in the I-16 for the first time, I decided to just go for a joyride.

I dove down from 1000 metres, hearing the wind roaring, then turned hard to follow a river to get as low as I could...and as I flew along water droplets sprayed up from the river and splattered all over my windshield. I said "whoah" out loud right then.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Lots of things, but I`ll try and name ones no one else tends to mention...

1. I like how the airfield that`s yours signals with flares.

2. I like how friendlies you`re about to bomb also signals.

3. I like how ground targets explode with secondary explosions.

4. There is an amazing amount of ground detail. I once crashed near a train I was trying to bomb, and while on the ground I heard it come up and its wheels and all that were animated!

5. Like how AA actually has to turn and track.

6. Like how aircraft and AA are blind in cloud.

7.Love the engine starts and shut downs.

8. The Career really makes it all in the end. It gives a point and direction to it all for me.

• Like 1

After slowly getting back into it, I`m finding it refreshingly different. I particularly like the scenery detail when viewing from 2000m. The Kuban map looks fantastic!

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

If I had the time....

20170829222742_1.jpg

20170829224945_1.jpg

20170826225436_1.jpg

2017_4_4__22_18_13.jpg

20170910004803_1.jpg

20170915232548_1.jpg

20170910004021_1.jpg

20171010190835_1.jpg

20171010191317_1.jpg

2017_4_5__18_7_12.jpg

2017_4_4__13_27_59.jpg

20170826215414_1.jpg

20170828221601_1.jpg

20170823214326_1.jpg

20170902163533_1.jpg

20170902003332_1.jpg

20170910005449_1.jpg

20170909141409_1.jpg

20171011231024_1.jpg

20171010192349_1.jpg

20171010192153_1.jpg

I will always love Il2. Many good hours playing. :salute:

I love the attention to detail. Already, It is out of this world how much effort they put into this stuff, and even then they remember the tiny stuff, it just blows my mind. :o:

Getting more and more accustomed with the P-40 and the F-2, F-4 in the Moscow career. In the P-40 I have tonight earned 38 000rubels for kills and 4500 for missions (28 missions). Didn´t check kills in the Bf careers, though.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Von_Drinkoften said:

...I particularly like the scenery detail when viewing from 2000m. The Kuban map looks fantastic!

Doesn't it? I could just fly around there, for sight seeing.

Even visited Anapa and other cities and towns via GoogleStreetView. And found historical buildings from the sim's Kuban map are really there!

I don’t think anyone will doubt my absolute love for this sim, it is marvelous. Not issue-free but still far better than we have any right to expect with the market for flight sims looking the way it currently does.

Recently I have fallen slightly in love with the new Bf 109G14. I really don’t care much for 109s, so it was something of a surprise to me, but there is something about that feeling of raw power that the MW50 gives it that just feels great. And the way it can take on the otherwise superb Spit Mk. IX or at least give it an interesting fight gives me hope for many exciting battles in BoBP - despite late war not really being my thing.

• Upvote 1

For me this sim represents nothing other than absolute wish fulfilment. I have a hanger full of warbirds, which I can pick and choose from, and take em up in any environment I please, and test them to their absolute limits in a way that I will never be able to irl. 

The fact that I can do this all while (being plugged in like a weirdo with stick, throttle, trackir and headset) on a shitty 15inch laptop is nothing short of amazing. Occasionally I even shoot other players down. 

My girlfriend (I know) was asking me why I was into this sim so much, and I simply explained to her that the current fad in the nodding community was how we could introduce realistic flowers into the default grass texture. We. Fuckkin. Rock. 

All that pales, though, to the feeling when I get to sit in whatever cockpit I choose, with my designated mission in mind, hit the engine start key, and fly off in some of the most iconic aircraft ever designed and in a vibrant and living combat environment. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adger said:

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I love the character of the planes. They each have their own feel, their own temperament. Its not just that it turns slower, or climbs slower, the combination of the flight modeling, sound and graphics gives a feeling that's hard to put into words that I haven't gotten from other sims.

These two statements are very much how I feel about this sim. The feeling of flight and the individuality of the planes even more so than the combat aspect of BoX keeps me coming back.

I've been practicing an aerobatic routine with the Macchi Mc.202 for several weeks. I've done it so many times that I know it by heart now. I still suck at it but I know the routine by heart. But to my point, after a night of practicing, I thought I'd try the same routine in the Fw-190A3. The extra power and maneuverability was so obvious it was simply astounding. I have never had that feeling in any other sim when moving from one fighter to another. It was as if I'd moved from a multi-engine transport to a single engine fighter. I absolutely love the Mc.202. It's a great little plane to cruise around in (not it). But the 190 was so much more powerful, it just felt like a beast when I climbed in and flew. As it should have I would suppose. It truly was a wow moment for me.

Edited by Rjel
grammer. "Watch them wordz."
  • Like 1

I love this sim, and can't wait to get back to flying.

That's the thing with me...in the past 18 months I've flown a grand total of 40 minutes or so, all at once...when the Spit came out.

Yet I'm in the sim every single day almost, for 3 hours or so, building missions and testing (watching them run on auto-pilot with time accell).

This is fun (grueling, but fun) however I'm looking forward to starting my flying career again...probably when the Jug is released, then in earnest with PTO and my beloved Zeke.

The Russian/German thing...just doesn't' get my juices flowing enough - so went back to mission building.

The A-20 is interesting enough though, and a cool enough aircraft to spend time with making the campaign (and if I wasn't a builder, actually flying it) down low, where it belongs.

Not up high level bombing...pfftt! Who does that? :nea:

The positive here is the passion people have for this sim to the extent they will be on the forums all day suggesting things to make it better instead of ditching it because it is rubbish. A big positive from negatives!!!!!! 

Edited by AeroAce
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Something positive? Just the sheer pleasure I can get from just bimbling around, never mind the 'combat' bit. Nice views, too.

2018_5_24_22_37_47.jpg

2018_5_24_23_31_39.jpg

As far as the endless 'issues' on the forum, I think it is partly down to some people only being happy when they have something to complain about, and partly down to the idea (often seen on other gaming forums) that there is some sort of 'perfection' available, if only the developers can be persuaded to rewrite the code. Since I accept that perfection is an illusion, I'm more inclined to take a relaxed attitude to the minor details, and enjoy the game for what it is. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Just the sheer pleasure I can get from just bimbling around, never mind the 'combat' bit. Nice views, too.

So very true. I could spend all my time (and I practically have) in QMB solo flights just flying around, doing absolutely nothing. 

• Upvote 1

you guys use a screen? i just use the speakers because the sound design is that good. Also, the feeling this game gives you is one i haven't been able to find in other WW2 sims

• Upvote 1

God where do I start. I was loving Cliffs of Dover, bought BOS a long time ago apparently, just recently got back into it, with the rift.... This is hands down the definitive VR flight experience. There's nothing that comes close to it. I love flight sims, I love combat flight sims even more ww2 being the absolute pinnacle. There's nothing like tossing these planes around in the rift. I am not a wealthy person or from a wealthy family, I'll probably never even get the chance to fly a plane, (would of been my dream career but I am too poor and too lazy) so getting to rip around in this amazing sim with the rift is worth every single penny. Hell I've spent more money on this sim in the last few days than I have on gaming in general in the last year. Bought Kuban, the fw190-A3, the Yak1b-127, and just grabbed the LA-5FN, was craving a fast russian plane, about to go check it out.

The work you guys have done on this sim is beyond words. I can't believe this is the same game I played 2 years ago. It's not that's the whole point. You guys have put in so much insanely detailed work into the sim I am just blown away. Over and over again. I was going to actually make a post similar to this congratulating the devs on a job well done. They have outclassed everyone. DCS is a mess IMO, the games just not fun to play in singleplayer anyways. Something you Il2 devs are succeeding in. Making singleplayer worth a damn is a huge deal. You guys have really shown you give a darn about us singleplayer guys. Which has me all types of excited.

Great job guys.

EDIT: Add the old LA-5 to that list. I don't even mind dumping money into this sim, the devs deserve every damn penny.

Edited by grimm862

7 hours ago, grimm862 said:

God where do I start. I was loving Cliffs of Dover, bought BOS a long time ago apparently, just recently got back into it, with the rift.... This is hands down the definitive VR flight experience. There's nothing that comes close to it. I love flight sims, I love combat flight sims even more ww2 being the absolute pinnacle. There's nothing like tossing these planes around in the rift. I am not a wealthy person or from a wealthy family, I'll probably never even get the chance to fly a plane, (would of been my dream career but I am too poor and too lazy) so getting to rip around in this amazing sim with the rift is worth every single penny. Hell I've spent more money on this sim in the last few days than I have on gaming in general in the last year. Bought Kuban, the fw190-A3, the Yak1b-127, and just grabbed the LA-5FN, was craving a fast russian plane, about to go check it out.

The work you guys have done on this sim is beyond words. I can't believe this is the same game I played 2 years ago. It's not that's the whole point. You guys have put in so much insanely detailed work into the sim I am just blown away. Over and over again. I was going to actually make a post similar to this congratulating the devs on a job well done. They have outclassed everyone. DCS is a mess IMO, the games just not fun to play in singleplayer anyways. Something you Il2 devs are succeeding in. Making singleplayer worth a damn is a huge deal. You guys have really shown you give a darn about us singleplayer guys. Which has me all types of excited.

Great job guys.

EDIT: Add the old LA-5 to that list. I don't even mind dumping money into this sim, the devs deserve every damn penny.

The VR experience is what really got me hooked. I can't get enough of it.

As much as I love flying these WWII birds, I can't wait to try WWI combat in VR, to hear bullets wizzing past your head, and ripping into the wing fabric. To watch from up close as your opponent's aircraft slowly starts to break apart. To feel that anxiety, when your own damaged wing is starting to bend out of shape, and you take special care to be ever so gentle with your throttle and controls. It's going to be great ! ;)

I will add my twopence worth.  My observation of game franchises that have sequels is that they usually get worse over time, except in the graphics department.

Dumbed down, trivial gameplay, complexity stripped out. Compared to RoF, BoS initially looked like following the same dreary path following RoF.  But it has risen again, and is now getting better all the time. The level of detail is note worthy, but it also works as piece of art.

Even when one has tired of MP or SP careers, as a way of stimulating an interest in all things WW2 aviation the game still works wonders.

1 hour ago, =FEW=Herne said:

The VR experience is what really got me hooked. I can't get enough of it.

As much as I love flying these WWII birds, I can't wait to try WWI combat in VR -SNIP-

The endless turning and spinning......in ROF make me feel sick enough with TIR. I dare not try it in VR!!

How far the game has come since release. 

BoX is truly a different game now. I believe I purchased it within six months of release, and looking back... wow. It was an empty game then. The flight models were wonky. There were glitches galore. Career mode was non-existent, and we had one winter map. 

Kudos to the devs! 

41 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I will add my twopence worth.  My observation of game franchises that have sequels is that they usually get worse over time, except in the graphics department.

Well... the content and battles added are not sequels. They are merely extensions and thankfully so.

14 minutes ago, Ehret said:

Well... the content and battles added are not sequels. They are merely extensions and thankfully so.

Whatever - over time, there is a sad trend in PC games: if they fail they die, if they succeed the backers want them to grow, which usually involves the appeal to a wider market and the unfortunate trends I mentioned. BoX has avoided that trap. That was my positive point. :)   

I haven't destroyed a bf 109 on landing for many many months (actually since moving to V.R.) so that's very positive.  😊

The 'new' career mode, rain effects, improved landscape visibility are all positive.

And ... when was the last time we all got locked out because of the server(s) being down? That used to be a weekly nightmare and now seems to be history! VERY positive.

And night missions with search-lights. I can't praise those enough.

Well, positive things is that they don't break community into pieces like EA does. Even if you don't own expansion you can still fly it if server has planes you have there, so it's really cool. I hate multiplayer DLC... you pay money for it just so it will die and you won't be able to play what you paid for because people mostly focus on base game. I remember when Rising Storm was put as DLC for Red Orchestra 2 and they did make it free for everyone but you could only play as rifleman and would not get any XP unless you buy that dlc. So everyone was happy, you could play pacific maps with all people. If they would lock it for these that did not buy it, it would die really fast, and i think free trial like this even made people buy it since they could try it for free and play as much as they wanted.

Edited by InProgress

Nearly every time I play this series, especially recently, I find myself marveling at just how cool all of this is. The beautiful aircraft, the lighting and shadows, the sounds and physics systems interacting in a way that makes you really feel that you're there in the cockpit, it's a wonderful feeling. IL-2 isn't perfect but it strives towards that and it does that with style and substance in a way that few have done before.

There's much to say but words sometimes fail. So, instead, I will shamelessly plug my latest video as this is one of the ways that I can say just how impressive I think this series has become in all respects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Shameless indeed - but a good video as yours always are.  This game does make a very nice movie.

I love:

1)Attention to details.

2)Communication with the community

3)The community

4)Skill level in this marvelous sim

5)Every plane has it's soul and requires that you respect it

6)When I hopped in the G14 I laughed like a madman when I engaged the MW50

7)Planes have mass and actually float through the air

and much more

Thankfully I do not have a gf(girlfriend, not ground forces 😄 ) right now, since I would not have time for her with BoBp coming, since late war air combat in the west is my thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Nearly every time I play this series, especially recently, I find myself marveling at just how cool all of this is. The beautiful aircraft, the lighting and shadows, the sounds and physics systems interacting in a way that makes you really feel that you're there in the cockpit, it's a wonderful feeling. IL-2 isn't perfect but it strives towards that and it does that with style and substance in a way that few have done before.

There's much to say but words sometimes fail. So, instead, I will shamelessly plug my latest video as this is one of the ways that I can say just how impressive I think this series has become in all respects.

F#$%@ing epic man!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 19//Rekt said:

I recently read a German pilot account about how they would take down IL-2s by deliberately shooting the tank behind the pilot...immediately turning the plane into an inferno.

I had never actually noticed that happening in BOX, and started to doubt whether this historical facet was represented properly "in game". Fired up the sim, flew out a 109 in QMB and after a few deliberate attempts I was able to replicate what those old aces talked about doing. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Would probably be too easy to kill and il-2 flying tanks would be flying torches :rofl: I had few moments where one good hit in wings made big explosion of fire, I don't know what was that, probably ammo. But it was nice anyway.

I know this might be over zealous

But what I'm really grateful for is the devs good work in general and they're ability to prioritize all those "issues" despite there small team size. So with that in mind, usually when I make a post I try to be as respectful as possible. After all, changes requested are mere suggestions. So I'll post a note once and if it's ignored, my feelings arn't hurt - that's business. I still have the best WW2 flight sim on the market to enjoy. So what if it's missing one kink that's hard to notice on the greater surface? It gives me no reason to want to complain.

But I notice sometimes users take it to another level..:(
 I listened to the Q&A session between Jason and the community - that was supposed to be  about the new release of BOBP, and it turned into a bug reporting fiasco. I could literally feel Jason's patience wearin thin lol. He seemed a little disappointed. But it's not the point, I won't make assumptions about how the man felt..But he had to constantly remind people how small the team is and try to direct users onto a different topic. So unless we clone Hans, there's going to be limitations, and just maybe we should be a bit more mindful about those limitations.

Rather than find faults, I reckon a good way to be grateful would be to try to find means to help. I'm sure it'd be much appreciated. There's been quite amount of job postings and requests for assistance on the site. As Jason noted in the Q&A, other simulations titles are able to pull quite a bit more resources/assistance from their community and IL2 hasn't showin the same pool. Maybe we could shift a bit of focus to finding more means to assist and achieve our goals. 
 Although I'm not one to talk, I haven't been in this community long. But it's just an opinion from what I see looking in.

Hopefully I didn't come off as disrespectful to anyone and I write this opinion with as much respect as I have to offer. I very much will like to see this title/community continue to succeed and grow far past any projected growth. 

V/R
TexasWarbird 

Edited by TexasWarbird
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasWarbird said:

But I notice sometimes users take it to another level..:( I listened to the Q&A session between Jason and the community - that was supposed to be  about the new release of BOBP, and it turned into a bug reporting fiasco. I could literally feel Jason's patience wearin thin lol. He seemed a little disappointed. But it's not the point, I won't make assumptions about how the man felt..But he had to constantly remind people how small the team is and try to direct users onto a different topic. So unless we clone Hans, there's going to be limitations, and just maybe we should be a bit more mindful about those limitations.

Wait! there's a third QA? where could i find it? please! 😃

2 hours ago, 19//SAG said:

Wait! there's a third QA? where could i find it? please! 😃

This is the discussion I was referring to, not sure if it's the one you're looking for. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1